Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I like the boys in FFXV, but I do think watching the five (free) anime episodes contributed significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Cleretic posted:

Oh, I got that cutscene. It's just, at best, too little too late. And doesn't really make him any better.

So, yeah. I got that cutscene, and I still want Prompto to go drown.

You are a monster and there is no hope for you.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
FFXV did something no other piece of media has ever done and it was to make lovely ramen look delicious

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Calaveron posted:

FFXV did something no other piece of media has ever done and it was to make lovely ramen look delicious

Wanna eat that behemoth bowl

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I like the boys in FFXV, but I do think watching the five (free) anime episodes contributed significantly.

I never watched any of that and I liked all of the guys pretty much right away. If stuff like the opening or the Prompto motel scene don't do it for you then nothing will

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Red Red Blue posted:

I never watched any of that and I liked all of the guys pretty much right away. If stuff like the opening or the Prompto motel scene don't do it for you then nothing will

:same:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
doesn't the anime makes prompto's background make even less sense

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tired Moritz posted:

doesn't the anime makes prompto's background make even less sense

no he was a super fat latchkey child because his parents didn't want an adopted kid

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Calaveron posted:

FFXV shows the leaps SE made in food rendering technology. Remember FFX?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The answer is probably "hell if I know", but does there happen to be a reason for enemy HP values in FF12? For example Yiazmat has 50,112,254 hp, which seems weird. Why not stop at 50 million? Did they make that fight and decide "no, it needs 254 more hp to be properly balanced"?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I would imagine HP values like that are determined by complex equations taking into account various balance factors and aren't just manually chosen.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
For most encounters, I'd say probably some kind of balancing about what the player is expected to have and whatnot.

But you mentioned Yiazmat, so the proper answer is 'spite.'

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bruceski posted:

The answer is probably "hell if I know", but does there happen to be a reason for enemy HP values in FF12? For example Yiazmat has 50,112,254 hp, which seems weird. Why not stop at 50 million? Did they make that fight and decide "no, it needs 254 more hp to be properly balanced"?

I can't speak for them but while working on my own RPG I make everything part of a unified equation and adjust it.

I can give you a few examples of how the result might be that weird number instead of a round number:

1) Maybe the HP is calculated as (Formula) + (Bonus HP). Maybe the Formula is super simple, such as "+10 hp per enemy stamina" and maybe every enemy has stamina so -stamina effects do something. Then they added 50m as (Bonus HP) and called it a day.

2) In which case, they >could< reverse engineer their own formula to figure out how to add a round 50m number, but maybe the formula changed over development for fine tuning and that number broke and no one really wants to manually checks every single monster to make sure they're sweet round numbers.

3) Maybe the formula doesn't support an arbitrary (Bonus HP) value, instead it has a more complex way to increase HP by increase something else. Say you have a budget for the monster, the monster has a lot of the budget allocated to HP, and at such high values each step of the budget increases the HP in steps so large such that the nearest value close to 50m hp would be 50,112,254.

4) Sometimes they just don't want the number to be round. Sometimes I add weird values such as 24.876221% from very exotic fractions because in my mind that will give more entertaining to the theorycrafters trying to figure out if it's a round number and they just need more samples or not, while also serving as an easy number for any more casual player who for some reason needs to stumble upon it and can be explained as "1 out of 4". I love a good math puzzle so I'd imagine >some< of the people working on these games do as well.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
drat your method is refined and thoughtful. me, i just say "well i think this boss should be able to survive being hit by a full attack x times" and then tune their total hp to the area's expected strength level. if you get there and it turns out you're ahead of the curve and do it in 30% fewer hits, well good job :v:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

drat your method is refined and thoughtful. me, i just say "well i think this boss should be able to survive being hit by a full attack x times" and then tune their total hp to the area's expected strength level. if you get there and it turns out you're ahead of the curve and do it in 30% fewer hits, well good job :v:

I mean, I do that as well, I just work backwards. I think doing what you do is the correct way of doing it, just our methods differ.

I use a table to kinda measure how things would go:

And then I tune the monster values outside of it to reach my goal.

I prefer working with a unified formula because it allows me to keep everything more or less balanced between different types of monsters and reuse the same monster in multiple levels without having to manually adjust their HP but other than that I also go with your "I want the player to beat it in x hits" priority.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 1, 2018

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I'm all for challenge, but 50 million HP for Yiazmat was absurd.

Still, not as bad as that MMO boss that refilled its health to max after...10 hours(?) of fighting, and when it was finally defeated, the devs kept patching out various weaknesses.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Absolute Virtue wasn't defeated when they made changes to it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
They just put Yiazmat in FFRK. He has utterly insane HP just like in the original, so in order to make the fight not actually torturous they give you a crazy buff and the ability to break the damage cap so you can chew through his millions and millions of HP and feel like a badass :v:

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Most Final Fantasy games would benefit from shaving a digit or two

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm aiming to plat TZA on my first playthrough and no-one can stop me.

Except myself :negative:

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Ibblebibble posted:

and time.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Microcline posted:

Paper Mario is the best RPG for this reason.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'd probably buy Paper Final Fantasy XV

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The plot and gameplay are already paper-thin so they're a good way there.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Pocket Edition isn't enough, let's go further and make a version of FFXV that's just shadow puppets and a guy narrating you the story and doing the voices for each bro.

Edit: The guy is Gackt.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

They just put Yiazmat in FFRK. He has utterly insane HP just like in the original, so in order to make the fight not actually torturous they give you a crazy buff and the ability to break the damage cap so you can chew through his millions and millions of HP and feel like a badass :v:

FFXIV pokes fun at Yiazmat too- he's the final boss of the current 24-man raid, and he has the most HP of any fight in the game by a mile (something like 96 million... when the closest boss to him HP wise otherwise has maybe 30ish) but at the end of the middle phase you nuke the hell out of his exposed heart and knock some 50-60 million off in the process.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
FFX-2 seemed to have pretty low HP bosses - without sidequesting or grinding or anything to power up I was surprised how quick a lot of the fights went. I'm not entirely sure if I thought it was a good thing or not overall, but was kinda nice sometimes for sure.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
if your boss has less than 1 million hp, he should be fired imo

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
In the WoW panda expansion, the final boss of the last raid had a bar that refilled 3 times because server side the type of value that stored enemy hp was too small for how much hp they wanted him to have.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Signed 32 bit integers, specifically. The max health value in WoW is a little over 2 billion, and each player was doing 250K DPS by the end of pandaland due to the way stats used to increase exponentially with item level.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ibblebibble posted:

Hardest trophies are the quickening trophies (start doing all of them asap since it's RNG as hell), the map trophy, and the beastiary one. All of these I looked at and said "nah."

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
At what points in 15 should I tell out the character dlc? Or should I just beat the game before diving in? I'm in the beginning of chapter 10.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

At what points in 15 should I tell out the character dlc? Or should I just beat the game before diving in? I'm in the beginning of chapter 10.

Gladios and Promptos can be done when they faff off in the main story, the others once youve beaten the game especially ignis as its more “alternate timeline”

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
This video, by noted YouTuber Eyepatch Dog, explains the gripes with FFXV much better than these lamers on the SA forums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8lvAq_yp_w

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Microcline posted:

when i was younger i used to talk poo poo about games like final fantasy 10 and 12 having monsters with tens of millions of hp, and some day we would have such unnecessary stat inflation that there would be like slimes and imps and poo poo with millions of HP at the beginning of the game and you would be doing six digit damage

i feel like that's not really a joke anymore :(

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Your young mind knew Disgaea before Disgaea knew ye.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

seiferguy posted:

Hardest trophies are the quickening trophies (start doing all of them asap since it's RNG as hell), the map trophy, and the beastiary one. All of these I looked at and said "nah."

I got lucky and already have the quickening trophy after way too much time running between a save crystal and a random unlucky mob.

Not looking forward to finding all the rare game for the bestiary one though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Gologle posted:

This video, by noted YouTuber Eyepatch Dog, explains the gripes with FFXV much better than these lamers on the SA forums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8lvAq_yp_w
It is, in fact, what started the XV discussion this time around.

Although nobody probably watched it. I know I didn't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't watch videos of people complaining about games I've already played and formed my own opinions on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't watch videos of people complaining about games I've already played and formed my own opinions on.

Especially when they're 50+ minutes long.