Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Would you PLEASE keep it down? I'm trimming my toenails here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

spincube posted:

Would you PLEASE keep it down? I'm trimming my toenails here.

It's not my fault that I need to crank the volume of this conference that I have on speaker. I can't hear it over Carol in accounting whistling the price is right theme.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Higgy posted:

8am - perfect time to make popcorn said the lady in the next office over

Cool. I feel a migraine coming on. I can leave early.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Tomorrow is my last day in the department. :mrgw:

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

BEHOLD, THE DRAMATIC REVEAL!
It is now the anniversary of "that time my boss fell so hard for shiny new software that she was defending the rep when we tried to ask questions in the initial demo". While ignoring all red flags and the concerns of her own team, she has been working this entire time towards a total software transition for our entire NPO, where we would use this software and its add-ons for 90% of what we do and a separate program for fundraising only.

She just announced that the vendor hasn't been able to produce a working demo, so we may just implement the fundraising software and not change anything else right now.

:lol:

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 24, 2020

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Senor P. posted:

Isn't there something somewhere where I can just have like tables upon tables upon tables of data programmed in C or C++ with some kind of Unix functionality that can handle things "fast".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_DB (don't let anyone tell you that NoSQL is new)

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Tnuctip posted:

When do budgets get set? As in, not what time period is the busget for, but when mist they be decided upon? Because its around that time when axes fall.

I am not exactly sure - I have no interaction with that process, but pretty much everything is done by quarter here, so I think it's a good hypothesis that it's happening ... now, since it's quarter end. The good thing for my department is that the systems they are developing to automate a lot of our work are functioning so poorly that we actually have more work than before, and one less person since someone just quit.

I have a meeting next Wednesday called "Our Purpose." I've been working here for 9 years, so it will be good to finally figure that out.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I had to do a web training today where the other end of the conference call were a group of Australians all on a single speakerphone. They were indecipherable.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I had to do a web training today where the other end of the conference call were a group of Australians all on a single speakerphone. They were indecipherable.

This hasn't been posted in a while.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

* internally screaming*

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Haha, I dont have to click that link anymore.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Higgy posted:

* internally screaming*
You just made me realize that conference calls must have inspired this short story.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I had a teleconference where the request 'let's go around and quickly introduce ourselves' resulted in the first guy giving a solid 28min speech on his previous career and his current position.

I timed it.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's been really funny/depressing hearing how my partner's workplace has steadily pushed out anyone that touched anything for stuffed suits that don't do anything but are associates of the owner. They don't do anything, or say anything but simply lurk in production areas frowning at production. They already "retired" the one guy they fired and rehired that pushed back against the business degree folk because without him it all fell apart.

Moving QA inline techs under this empty suit from the person who actually was responsible for them but he doesn't actually have anything to do with their jobs stinks of org chart bullshittery.

This company makes food products for every grocery chain and most fast food chains, closed out their CA operations because of "regulations".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

when one australian enters a conference line they must immediately say "g'day, [NAME] here" and then each individual other australian must individually exchange g'days with that person

if you have ten australians on a call it will take like four minutes to get through that poo poo

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lowly posted:

I have a meeting next Wednesday called "Our Purpose."

Is this the new Mission Statement/Vision Statement?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm charmed by the way British people say "Cheers" if you hand them a drink, even if it's just water

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm charmed by the way British people say "Cheers" if you hand them a drink, even if it's just water

It's a hint that you gave them the wrong thing and they would dearly like a beer, hth

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Church Ladyboy posted:

My notice is two months :saddowns: (I am stupid and didn’t read the contract properly)

Makes finding a new job fun. I can probably walk out and they wouldn’t come after me for work owed, but gotta finish paying for the wedding first!

Follow-up: Got the job through the random LinkedIn message after a few phone interviews and one visit to their office for another day's worth of interviews :toot:

Breaking the news at the current place after the weekend, not looking forward to the next two month's of passive-aggressive comments courtesy of the head of HR.

Any tips for someone going from working in an office to full-time WFH? :)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I'm stuck on a 2.5 hour training call for an people on a new user interface we have for income verification that the underwriters will be using. We are just over halfway through the allotted time slot and have spent nearly the whole time going over wage income, which is the simplest form of income and should have taken 15 or 20 minutes to explain, tops. An underwriter would have taken 10 minutes at most to complete this.

I talked to my boss and she said that when she flew to the midwest to cover this stuff they spent 8 hours going over wage income only. I think the problem might people from the midwest needing to rehash every detail several times.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Church Ladyboy posted:

Follow-up: Got the job through the random LinkedIn message after a few phone interviews and one visit to their office for another day's worth of interviews :toot:

Breaking the news at the current place after the weekend, not looking forward to the next two month's of passive-aggressive comments courtesy of the head of HR.

Congratulations! my WFH advice is don't do 100% WFH. Right now I am (other than work travel) and I do not like it one little bit.

You need a routine and a separate workspace. It's very easy to deviate from your routine but you MUST NOT DO IT. I found that a psychological commute (get up, shower, eat, walk around the block) helps although I'm not vert disciplined about doing it.

Try to isolate Work time from Other Stuff time. Easier if this is physical with a separate office space, but you will have work bleed in to other stuff time and you'll be tempted to have other stuff bleed in to work time. Try to avoid this. It's hard to do.

Get dressed (he says, as he works in sweatpants). It helps.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Church Ladyboy posted:

Designate a space at home as your office, and use it only for work. Treat leaving it at the end of the day just like leaving your current office at the end of the day. You need a clear separation between "work hours" and "at home" hours; having a physical reinforcement of that helps.

Get out during lunch. Even with a dedicated space, you're going to find that you're spending A LOT of time in the same building now.

Start thinking about if you need to replace what you get from physically being in the same place as co-workers. IMs and bumping into people in the hallway or at the water cooler aren't exactly the same.

I've been 100% WFH for years (except for client site travel), and I really think the best environment would be 1 or 2 days a week in the office and 3 or 4 at home.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

OneTruePecos posted:

I've been 100% WFH for years (except for client site travel), and I really think the best environment would be 1 or 2 days a week in the office and 3 or 4 at home.

I think the other way around (more office than home is preferable to me) but generally am 100% in agreement

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Church Ladyboy posted:

Remember that you would be taking breaks to go to the water cooler, etc. in the office and continue to do so. Also make sure you have an exercise regimen AMD a plan to get social interaction. It is easy to never leave the house and get fat if you have a hard time not snacking.

WFH had been terrible for my mental and physical health. I was doing ok when I was taking night classes, but once I stopped those it got hard for me. I naturally struggle with depression and anxiety, as well as my weight, so YMMV, but I found that I became socially isolated and sedentary. I am making an active effort bire to get up and walk every hour, and am on a diet right now. The social isolation is still difficult but I am trying to get out more.

Edit: Also what those guys said.

therobit fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 28, 2018

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My understanding is it gets easier once you get past the endless wanking.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

therobit posted:

I'm stuck on a 2.5 hour training call for an people on a new user interface we have for income verification that the underwriters will be using. We are just over halfway through the allotted time slot and have spent nearly the whole time going over wage income, which is the simplest form of income and should have taken 15 or 20 minutes to explain, tops. An underwriter would have taken 10 minutes at most to complete this.

I talked to my boss and she said that when she flew to the midwest to cover this stuff they spent 8 hours going over wage income only. I think the problem might people from the midwest needing to rehash every detail several times.

We just went through an acquisition where we combined resources with people in the deep south and a little in the midwest. It's been a huge culture shock for me. Not to say that the people we're working on are stupid, they're just...slow. Everyone is super laid back and works very slowly. It does not mesh well with the way we work.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Friday work from home update: got more done this morning than the rest of the week put together.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Good advice!

I am definitely cognizant of how it can be very socially isolating compared to being at an office, which is the one thing I'm wary of.
One of the things I've been considering is maybe spending a day or two at one of those co-working places for a change of scenery during the week.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that works, although it's tough if you have to be on the phone a lot, i find

find friends in the same boat in your hood and go to lunch once a month or something

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

therobit posted:

This is why I don't envy the training team. We have an awful process in place for commission and bonus income and even though it's written out step by step they still dont understand.

Once we started having other locations there was the slow realization that a LOT of procedure was actually tribal knowledge and floor policy, not actual training policy.

moonsour fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 28, 2018

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Fhqwhgads posted:

Looks like my old company's email got compromised, and a malicious email was sent to a TON of people at my current company from <person>@<oldcompany>. That itself isn't annoying, I just marked it as spam and deleted it. But I've been getting emails all morning from people from all different parts of the bank asking me "Were we expecting anything from them? What's this all about?".

My current company is not loving around about this. Turns out two separate vendors were compromised and within a 48 hour period sent phishing emails to our entire business unit. I've been fielding questions from senior management about it only because one vendor is my former employer, and now there's a bank-wide conference call about it in an hour.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

MightyJoe36 posted:

Is this the new Mission Statement/Vision Statement?

It's the start of the quarter, so yup! We do this every time. Then three months later we'll forget all of it and have a new thing. The socks that were being designed will be related to this in some way.

I'm super glad to move on because one of last quarter's things was getting a podcast every week that always started with a rickroll, it was very fun.

Also, Church Ladyboy, I think working from a co-working place a couple days is a good idea. I go into my office 1-2 days a week and work remote the rest of the time and it's the perfect balance for me. Otherwise, when I worked at home full time, I just made sure to go on a walk or go out to do something, even if it was just walking to get a coffee or run an errand. Just making sure to get out of the house and do something else kept me from feeling like a hermit on days when I didn't have any particular plans.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
We are all greg

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I lowkey love that this thread is only active M-F 9am-5pm.

Except for me because I still have to work my ops position at 8pm on Sundays.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Got the offer! Going from contract work to full-time in the same position, with benefits and everything! :toot:

Of course, now I get to endure a week of work where, due to a policy change regarding contractors and my start date being pushed back a bit, I don't have the accesses needed to actually do my job so I'm going to do a bunch of bullshit tasks, but hey!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

moonsour posted:

I lowkey love that this thread is only active M-F 9am-5pm.

Except for me because I still have to work my ops position at 8pm on Sundays.

What else do you expect me to do at work?

My job?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Renegret posted:

What else do you expect me to do at work?

My job?

I think if you did less of your job you might have gotten one of the promotions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lowly posted:

I'm super glad to move on because one of last quarter's things was getting a podcast every week that always started with a rickroll, it was very fun.

Your company has an internal podcast? I thought we were the only ones. Does yours also require four salaried employees to produce, and management constantly tells people to listen because their “metrics” are bad?

On another note, at my MegaCorp my dept just changed buildings. This was supposed to have happened four months ago, but got delayed multiple times as our leadership doesn’t understand city building codes. The day we did move our computers arrived four hours after we did.

So far our new building is missing amenities we used to have, including a hot water dispensing machine, or a refrigerator to store lunches. We do have a self-serve cafeteria with one checkout terminal for hundreds of employees.

One feature our management made sure was in place was reserved parking for themselves and employees who have been here 15 years or so. This gobbled up more than half the available spots, and everyone else was advised to arrive super early or figure out our shuttle system from the main garage.