Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Found on my lawn yesterday morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Very nice.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

jarlywarly posted:

I like how you got the ant eye detail it's a bloody hard lens to use that 1x-5x 65mm

Usually I find the hardest part is actually finding the subject, at 4x-5x anyway

I mean you look at the subject normally, then try to view at your chosen mag through the camera, try to get something in focus, then move around trying to find the subject.
Once you've failed that you take your eyes away from the camera, look at the subject and it hasn't f**kin moved.

Or you find the subject, get closer to get it in focus, then the lens(or more usually flash) hits whatever it was on, and you can't get close enough to focus

It can get really annoying

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Raikyn posted:

Usually I find the hardest part is actually finding the subject, at 4x-5x anyway

I mean you look at the subject normally, then try to view at your chosen mag through the camera, try to get something in focus, then move around trying to find the subject.
Once you've failed that you take your eyes away from the camera, look at the subject and it hasn't f**kin moved.

Or you find the subject, get closer to get it in focus, then the lens(or more usually flash) hits whatever it was on, and you can't get close enough to focus

It can get really annoying

Yeah I've not really taken a photo i'm happy with with it yet, i got this tiny fly but the focus is off but it's hard to tell "how small" it is in the photo flies just look the same at all scales.

Tiny Fly by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I found a lot of helpful subjects in some lakeside bushes. All with the Olympus 60mm and twin flash, which I really should get some extra diffusion on.

(What is this? Different shape than a typical leaf hopper I think...)

A very helpful spider model.

Same spider, coaxed off of moving-outside paper.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Jumping spiders are so charismatic, never managed to get one to photograph though.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Alpenglow posted:

(What is this? Different shape than a typical leaf hopper I think...)

You're pretty much correct. I think it's a treehopper in the Smiliinae subfamily.

This is really pretty! I'm not certain, but I think this is a Tiphiid wasp :buddy:

I like bugs, I'm sorry.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

jarlywarly posted:

Yeah I've not really taken a photo i'm happy with with it yet, i got this tiny fly but the focus is off but it's hard to tell "how small" it is in the photo flies just look the same at all scales.

I find it's all about angles with the mp e-65. I can usually look at situation and think 'yep i'm never going to get a good shot out of this'

I can usually get shots i'm happy with at around x4-x5 but then again I won't shoot at x4-x5 unless i'm fairly certain i'll get it.

These I am happy with

Striped Mosquito by Marc, on Flickr

Ants by Marc, on Flickr

As always in insect macro, get the eyes in focus

On the other end of the scale I've been trying out a wide-angle macro lens. I think it's harder to use than the mp e-65 :(
But should be useful in certain situations

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
That mosquito is glorious, what's you lighting/flash setup for that?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

pseudorandom posted:

You're pretty much correct. I think it's a treehopper in the Smiliinae subfamily.

This is really pretty! I'm not certain, but I think this is a Tiphiid wasp :buddy:

I like bugs, I'm sorry.

I think you're right thanks for the id.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Raikyn posted:

I find it's all about angles with the mp e-65. I can usually look at situation and think 'yep i'm never going to get a good shot out of this'

I can usually get shots i'm happy with at around x4-x5 but then again I won't shoot at x4-x5 unless i'm fairly certain i'll get it.

These I am happy with

Striped Mosquito by Marc, on Flickr

Ants by Marc, on Flickr

As always in insect macro, get the eyes in focus

On the other end of the scale I've been trying out a wide-angle macro lens. I think it's harder to use than the mp e-65 :(
But should be useful in certain situations

Holy cow!
These are amazing. Stacked shots or extreme DOF?

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

jarlywarly posted:

That mosquito is glorious, what's you lighting/flash setup for that?

I use the mt-24ex twin head flash, heads each have 2 diffusers on them to try and soften the lighting.

spookygonk posted:

Holy cow!
These are amazing. Stacked shots or extreme DOF?

Nothing special, I'm usually around f10-13 using this lens at around x3-x5. Seems to be good enough. Again for me it seems to be more about getting good angles, and a nice soft light.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Decided to try something different, so I went to the park with my manual focus M42 Macro Takumar 50mm f/4, a flash (which I didn't end up using) and some M42 macro tubes (which also stayed in my bag the whole trip).

Got a bunch of insect butts.

IMG_8548.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_8556.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_8602.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Had a beer after work today, poured a little on the top of a cracked tree stump, and disturbed the current residents.

Ant by Marc, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Really nice I can appreciate how hard this is to shoot, it's pretty amazing how narrow DoF can be.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

After figuring out how to use macro mode on my Vivitar I took it out for a walk tonight. This is my first experience with macro other than reverse holding lenses (minimally) and using a cheap iphone macro lens. It's a lot of fun but hard since the lens is push/pull in macro mode to focus. It also seems to render bokeh in an odd way sometimes (these two flowers were tiny but on slightly larger objects I didn't get the weird bokeh). I'm sure flowers are babie's first macro subject - even though they were moving in the wind it is nothing like I imagine trying to get insects. Any advice would be appreciated if you see any obvious issues that I am not seeing (being new to it). Thank god for IBIS.

Untitled by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Untitled by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Flowers are a good starting point :) You'll quickly learn about DOF and focusing

Here is a bee

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Got some breakfast, walked out of the restaurant, and found this dude. Phone cameras astound me these days.

IMG_20180930_121415 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Itchy

Mosquito by Marc, on Flickr

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Raikyn posted:

Itchy

Mosquito by Marc, on Flickr

God drat, I really want one of those 65mm lenses. :eyepop:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I saw a mantis today - I see Katydids fairly often but can't remember the last time I saw a mantis, and I've never seen anything except green ones before so it was cool. Not sure what he was doing - he was just chilling upside down for a long time and I thought he might have been dead. Eventually he tilted his head towards me (luckily after I had gotten my macro lens on and set up, which is a process) so he was alive. Untitled by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

How hard is it to use a 1-5x like that on moving stuff like that?

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Well they are kind of easy, once they start sucking they stick on till they are fill or you brush them off.

Generally though the 1-5 is a little difficult as the focus plain is kinda small, can be hard to find your subject, flash heads get in the way, and the front of the lens itself usually more than anything hinders your focus at higher mags.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
lovely colours

Field Grasshopper by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Did not have my flash so had to use a big aperture.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

millipede

A few legs on this one

Taken around 3:1, 1/200 f10 iso400, flash set to 1/16 I think

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I like how the dirt gives it a sense of scale.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Some spiders and eyes

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 4, 2018

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Jumping spiders are so cute, I love that middle shot I tried to get a shot of one on holiday the other week but I only had my travel flash and couldn't get a good shot.

I can tell your flash pattern though ;)

I'm thinking about a single big Yongnou 600 lens mounted with a lampshade type diffuser for my 100mm macro as the MT-24ex is not quite powerful enough for the 100mm lens focal distance.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Nice bee shot there

I've got ants

Ants by Marc, on Flickr

Ant by Marc, on Flickr

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Oh wow, that's nice. Love seeing that more creative subject macro stuff, it opens my mind to more options!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Also candles don't randomly walk away while you are focusing.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I mostly just like to take macro shots of stuff around my apartment because it’s interesting to look at stuff up close. Sometimes this gives me a good idea for a picture.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

So, I was out walking around some backsteets in Tokyo last week, and outside a little machine shop of some kind, there were these barrels full of DELICIOUS SWARF!

Ohhhh the textures...

P1070442.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1070443.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1070444.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1070445.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1070447.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1070448.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1070452.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I feel I should be out in my garage for some reason...

Anyway

Insect on insect macro

Bumblebee by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 30, 2018