Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

BrightWing posted:

Act 3 chat And with how much everything kinda shits on the MC in this one, I can't blame him for taking his chance to fix right what once went wrong

Psshh, come back when both of your parents die violently in front of you, you get forced into slavery for half of your life and you miss all of the early moments of your children’s lives, Eleven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

BrightWing posted:

Act 3 chat And with how much everything kinda shits on the MC in this one, I can't blame him for taking his chance to fix right what once went wrong

I can totally understand people liking the much darker original timeline. But the hero being given the chance to go back and put in the hard work to solve the world’s problems without the apocalypse is really cool and heartwarming. It really taps into Dragon Quest’s strength of old-school storytelling.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ROFL Octopus posted:

I can totally understand people liking the much darker original timeline. But the hero being given the chance to go back and put in the hard work to solve the world’s problems without the apocalypse is really cool and heartwarming. It really taps into Dragon Quest’s strength of old-school storytelling.

That'd be fine if it meant only one timeline, not when it splits into two one of which everything is hunky dory and the other where a lot of people died and the world is slowly healing from getting really hosed up and the hero vanished without a trace. Like it's fine if the hero tries to make things work in one timeline but that doesn't mean the other isn't messed up. Also a lot of the character development isn't there anymore

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Calaveron posted:

That'd be fine if it meant only one timeline, not when it splits into two one of which everything is hunky dory and the other where a lot of people died and the world is slowly healing from getting really hosed up and the hero vanished without a trace. Like it's fine if the hero tries to make things work in one timeline but that doesn't mean the other isn't messed up. Also a lot of the character development isn't there anymore

Actually there’s a part here I’m confused about

Did the hero make a split timeline or did he completely overwrite history?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ROFL Octopus posted:

Spoilers for cutscene after finishing act 3

Based on the cutscene from the super final ending where Serenica goes back and the party is still standing there, I'm gonna guess that timelines persist and that the Hero left behind a hosed up world. But also by going into the past he was able to confront and actually kill Calasmos who had been meddling with time also and might have found a way back some other way.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Post act 3 spoiler: It has to be some kind of timeline split because when serenica goes back the same way the luminary did, the luminary's timeline continues to exist and there's no suggestion of it being some kind of closed paradox loop or whatever. But apparently there's some interview with Hori that throws water on that? and who knows what the heck the intended interpretation is.

Honestly the references to past games are cute, but I feel like they ended up undercutting the game as it's own thing

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

HPanda posted:

I did the same drat thing. The game knows when I'm hunting them and keeps them from me. They showed up twice when I wasn't hunting them and was just filling out the bestiary.

On a side note, I'm in Act 3 and seriously considering turning off less experience from low level monsters. I didn't realize this would include metal slimes. Used the crazy Hero-Sylvando-Jade Electro pep power to summon some up in an area where I was definitely getting experience, beat them, and then got no experience for the effort. What the gently caress.
You need to kill something from the original monster group before you morph, assuming one of the originals would've counted.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Rascyc posted:

You need to kill something from the original monster group before you morph, assuming one of the originals would've counted.

Yeah, I discovered that a little too late. Then the next time I tried doing exactly that, I discovered that the pep power can't be used everywhere. Apparently, some locations are too small for it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Shugojin posted:

Spoilers for cutscene after finishing act 3

Based on the cutscene from the super final ending where Serenica goes back and the party is still standing there, I'm gonna guess that timelines persist and that the Hero left behind a hosed up world. But also by going into the past he was able to confront and actually kill Calasmos who had been meddling with time also and might have found a way back some other way.

AriadneThread posted:

Post act 3 spoiler: It has to be some kind of timeline split because when serenica goes back the same way the luminary did, the luminary's timeline continues to exist and there's no suggestion of it being some kind of closed paradox loop or whatever. But apparently there's some interview with Hori that throws water on that? and who knows what the heck the intended interpretation is.

Honestly the references to past games are cute, but I feel like they ended up undercutting the game as it's own thing

Ok that’s honestly pretty cool. I’m happy to know the “bad timeline” lives on. Kinda gives me Future Trunks vibes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
One thing that shouldn't be overlooked is (Act 3) that the "real" Calasmos seems to be one of a kind over all timelines, considering he's been turned into one of those time-thingies. So that means that when you destroy him in the Act 3 timeline, you stop him across all timelines.
Speaking of those thingies, is it ever properly explained what exactly they are?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

One thing that shouldn't be overlooked is (Act 3) that the "real" Calasmos seems to be one of a kind over all timelines, considering he's been turned into one of those time-thingies. So that means that when you destroy him in the Act 3 timeline, you stop him across all timelines.
Speaking of those thingies, is it ever properly explained what exactly they are?

I mean Mordegon completely destroys his body in the original timeline that’s why he piggybacked with the Hero to timeline B

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE
Okay, so I'm at the end of Act 2, knocking on the big bad's doorstep, spoiler questions:

From reading previous spoilers, it sounds like Eleven is in a Dragon Ball 'Future Trunks' scenario (multiverse theory is a bitch) where they get a choice to either live with the current world with Veronica dead, world blown to hell, but recovering, or go back in time and change history, creating a completely separate timeline in the process. Can you legit say "Actually, no, I'm okay with this timeline" or is it a "But thou must" situation? Because I really can't see how the story could be improved by time-meddling at this point...

Zest fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 1, 2018

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Calaveron posted:

I mean Mordegon completely destroys his body in the original timeline that’s why he piggybacked with the Hero to timeline B

Wait isn't it Calasmos that follows you to the other timeline? Mordegon kinda gets hosed by you messing with time.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Zest posted:

Okay, so I'm at the end of Act 2, knocking on the big bad's doorstep, spoiler questions:

From reading previous spoilers, it sounds like Eleven is in a Dragon Ball 'Future Trunks' scenario (multiverse theory is a bitch) where they get a choice to either live with the current world with Veronica dead, world blown to hell, but recovering, or go back in time and change history. Can you legit say "Actually, no, I'm okay with this timeline" or is it a "But thou must" situation? Because I really can't see how the story could be improved by time-meddling at this point...

If you want the game to be over at that point, it's over. There's just nothing left to do but any missed sidequests if you don't do the specific story thing. The credits don't roll again or anything like that, though. Act 2's ending is the ending if you want it to be.

EDIT: Okay, a few spoilers: The game does straight up tell you that you have a choice. You can just leave the tower. Your friends even block you from going back in time, and they're cool with it if you're just done. You have to convince them to let you go.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zest posted:

From reading previous spoilers, it sounds like Eleven is in a Dragon Ball 'Future Trunks' scenario (multiverse theory is a bitch) where they get a choice to either live with the current world with Veronica dead, world blown to hell, but recovering, or go back in time and change history. Can you legit say "Actually, no, I'm okay with this timeline" or is it a "But thou must" situation? Because I really can't see how the story could be improved by time-meddling at this point...

It’s legitimately a Dragon Quest end of game scenario where you can go around the world and they tell you how cool and good you are. It’ll ask you multiple times if you’re sure you want to go back because from what I can tell the Luminary really does have to face this hard choice, with no easy way out.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

It feels like they wanted to do a DQIII-style reveal but they couldn't commit to it and we ended up with a half-assed "and every other Dragon Quest is related in some tenuous, abstract way (take our word for it)"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Actually, spoiler question for a Act 3 character. Why DID Serenica die? She bopped the ball and didn't even crack it then just dropped dead on the spot. I thought you only became a Spirit of Lost Time if the transfer failed so that scene was just kinda weird to me.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

In summary, it’s like Future Trunks, if he could never go home.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Actually, spoiler question for a Act 3 character. Why DID Serenica die? She bopped the ball and didn't even crack it then just dropped dead on the spot. I thought you only became a Spirit of Lost Time if the transfer failed so that scene was just kinda weird to me.

She spent her life force just getting to that spot, and once she saw that her journey failed, gave up on life.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ROFL Octopus posted:

Ok that’s honestly pretty cool. I’m happy to know the “bad timeline” lives on. Kinda gives me Future Trunks vibes.

dq1-3 are about the descendants of the legendary hero and dq4-6 are about a floating castle of power

so figure it out

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I get the impression the tower was supposed to be a dungeon but for whatever reason it didn't make it into the game so instead she was exhausted by the tedious elevator animations.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

ROFL Octopus posted:

It’s legitimately a Dragon Quest end of game scenario where you can go around the world and they tell you how cool and good you are. It’ll ask you multiple times if you’re sure you want to go back because from what I can tell the Luminary really does have to face this hard choice, with no easy way out.

HPanda posted:

If you want the game to be over at that point, it's over. There's just nothing left to do but any missed sidequests if you don't do the specific story thing. The credits don't roll again or anything like that, though. Act 2's ending is the ending if you want it to be.

EDIT: Okay, a few spoilers: The game does straight up tell you that you have a choice. You can just leave the tower. Your friends even block you from going back in time, and they're cool with it if you're just done. You have to convince them to let you go.

ROFL Octopus posted:

In summary, it’s like Future Trunks, if he could never go home.

Oh, whew! I am okay with this, was just worried it was a forced choice. Thanks for the answers! Now to go hunt down some more metal slimes, seeing as the blue orb Sinestral pushed me pretty hard and was a borderline wipe!

Zest fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 1, 2018

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Ship gotten. 17 hours. Level 17.

That was a good session of Dragon Questin’.

The drag race reference from Sylvando and his pink gimp partner gave me life.

The dungeon of Gondolia had a nice balance. Trekking through the swamps and then through the cave, it was long and an adventure. When I got to the save point, it felt earned, for the first time in the game. It felt very SMT3/DDS-esque for me.

The story remains weak, but the characters (or at least, Veronica and Sylvando) carry it. Need more vignettes, less cliche plot. Plot was never DQ’s strength anyways besides IV and V. Plot is an FF thing.

The recycled music is disappointing. Both the happy town theme from VIII and IV’s Sea Breeze for the ship theme. This is the second game in the row (well, discounting X but I haven’t played it) to reuse Sea Breeze. First in IX and now in XI. It’s a classic theme but it’s so sad Sugiyama doesn’t have it in him anymore at his age to make a full soundtrack without recycling music. I was kind of looking forward to a new ship song with this being likely Sugiyama’s last DQ. But hearing Sea Breeze in HD isn’t too bad either...

Now that I’ve got the ship, the game begins. Time to check every location and collect mini medals and go on an adventure. gently caress yes.

Good poo poo.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 1, 2018

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I went back to Cobblestone/Heliodor and all those campsites because the game didn’t put them in the zoom list and I’m ocd. :negative:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I've only played 3, 8, and 9 in the main series, and even then I recognize a lot of music. DQ fans, just how much of this game's soundtrack is recycled?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I want to say about half of it? But the original stuff plays much more often.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Mizuti posted:

I've only played 3, 8, and 9 in the main series, and even then I recognize a lot of music. DQ fans, just how much of this game's soundtrack is recycled?

So far, a bit. Without the recycled tracks it feels like there’s only five original songs and they play really often too.

I really wonder what they’re going to do without Sugiyama. Who will replace him?

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 1, 2018

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Welp, Act 3 Octagonia does not gently caress around.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Himuro posted:

So far, a bit. Without the recycled tracks it feels like there’s only five original songs and they play really often too.

I really wonder what they’re going to do without Sugiyama. Who will replace him?

Watch them get Joe Hisaishi, who made the shittiest sugiyama ripoff soundtrack I've ever heard for ni no kuni 2

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

So is there any rhyme or reason to Slime Slots? It's fun as hell but I don't feel like I have a lot of control, but I can tell from the (extensive, lmao) rules that I should have more than I think I do.

Also, this is what playing pachinko is like, isn't it.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

SettingSun posted:

So is there any rhyme or reason to Slime Slots? It's fun as hell but I don't feel like I have a lot of control, but I can tell from the (extensive, lmao) rules that I should have more than I think I do.

Also, this is what playing pachinko is like, isn't it.

I'm pretty sure all the rules and systems in Slime Slots are in fact intended for you to feel like you have more control than you really do.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm like 30 pages behind still but I've been having a pretty chill playthough on DQXI so far. Closest I came to wiping on a boss was because I went in without healing and it was the two Gryphons trying to nick the Red Orb. Everything else was pretty straightforward and easy.

Also, I thought they'd changed their AI because before the Gallopolis boss I ran into two of the most aggressive Metal Slimes I've ever seen in a game. They just kept attacking and attacking and throwing Frizzes at me for 6 damage. Killing the two of them got me up to 15 or 16 for the boss and it was pretty chill thanks to that. Serena picked up Midheal and that was all I needed to keep me running. Haven't had any issues so far but I did opt to not make the game harder so I'm happy to not be getting bodied left and right every boss.

Anyway, I've only played this and two other ones in the series 5- which I burned out on because I was trying to keep a save for each wife- and 8 which I actually did beat the main story of. How's 9? I've never really heard any talk on the series beyond on SA so I've got no idea how that one is. Granted, I don't really look around for people talking about Dragon Quest either though so I'm not saying that it's not popular or anything nuts like that.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Personally, I really liked IX; I had been looking for a return to team character creation, and it had a pretty in-depth skill system. Plus, I found three friends who wanted to play through it together with me, so it was a grand time. Also: fully visual armor.

It got a lot of flak at the time for being different from the immediate predecessors, though; it doesn't have an ensemble cast, only your silent main character. There's still perfectly fine story events and vignettes, but a lot of people really missed having the strong characters in your party, In addition, there was a lot of downloadable postgame content, and the only way to get it now that the servers are down is to have another person who has it visit your save file (or get the data from the internet, if you're emulating, but who would do that?) There was an online shop that sold rare goods, changing weekly, and it's depressing to see it do nothing the whole game as it stands.

On the whole, though, I think it's still a very worthwhile game!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

DQ9 by itself is a cool game but the fact that nowadays it is more or less impossible to experience 100% of it legitimately really drives it into the ground for me.

That game is an example of what all games with an online component will suffer once their relevance wanes. Being left with just part of a game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I love IX to pieces. The vignettes are really good and it oozes charm despite being an ugly DS game.

I could never get my DS hooked to WiFi so I never got to experience the full game and that sucks.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Himuro posted:

I love IX to pieces. The vignettes are really good and it oozes charm despite being an ugly DS game.

I could never get my DS hooked to WiFi so I never got to experience the full game and that sucks.

Even if you could have it used the lovely type of internet connectivity that nobody used anymore so you as a dumb child would have had to go to your modem settings to mess with poo poo you probably shouldn't to be able to connect to dqvc or whatever it was called

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My favorite thing in 9 resurfaces at the end of Act 3 in 11. Ending talk When the credits are rolling and it's showing moving moments from all the games or fighting the final bosses there's like... nothing in 9 so instead it's just the player characters failing to kill metal king slimes. That got a laugh out of me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Himuro posted:

Really I'm happy when I hit a recycled track in XI because the new stuff is... not great. Sometimes I'll roll into an area and go "oh this music is nicer to listen to" and then realize it's because it's from a previous game :v:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Calaveron posted:

Even if you could have it used the lovely type of internet connectivity that nobody used anymore so you as a dumb child would have had to go to your modem settings to mess with poo poo you probably shouldn't to be able to connect to dqvc or whatever it was called

:wtc:

Are you drunk? Re-read this post again.

I tried multiple settings and I could never get my ds online ever, not once. I used DSL back then so maybe that was a reason. It really sucked because I'd miss out on cool features in Animal Crossing, Shiren The Wanderer, and DQIX. :(

Harrow posted:

Really I'm happy when I hit a recycled track in XI because the new stuff is... not great. Sometimes I'll roll into an area and go "oh this music is nicer to listen to" and then realize it's because it's from a previous game :v:

Yeah, the world map theme for instance is....bad. I can't stand listening to it. Not Sugiyama's best work but the man is 87 now. I don't expect much but I think he should have partnered with someone this time and gone the FFX route. Split the tracks up.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I just built a new PC last week, and DQ XI was the first game I bought. HOLY poo poo IT'S PRETTY.

Anyone know if there is any downside to the orchestral mod? Seems like only positives?