Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want to upgrade to an Xbox One X, but I want to get the white edition that is coming out in November with Fallout 76.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Lot of posts, did Xbox finally release some games that I wasn't able to play 2 years ago on Steam?

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Lot of posts, did Xbox finally release some games that I wasn't able to play 2 years ago on Steam?

No that's the Nintendo switch you are thinking of.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Not sure what I think of FH4. FH3 was my first Horizon game and I loved how fresh it felt, loved the setting as a former/soon-to-be-again Aussie, but 4 seems like more of the same and rural UK is a bit boring. Having real people drive around is more interesting than the seasons thing.

It's a super polished, slick game and would recommend it to anyone who's not burned out in the genre, but I think even AC Odyssey on Oct 5 could get me to stop playing regularly.

Also just traded in Shadow of the Tomb Raider for $50 Cdn after buying it for $55. Thats my last ever :canada: e3 sale game, it was an amazing way to play new games cheap while it lasted. Corporate collusion is the inevitable Canadian way though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMWeeFZZVq8

Tim Rogers reviews Fords Horizon 4 in what might be his greatest masterpiece of a videogame review, especially the last 6 minutes

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMWeeFZZVq8

Tim Rogers reviews Fords Horizon 4 in what might be his greatest masterpiece of a videogame review, especially the last 6 minutes

Lmao, also almost RIP Tim Roger's right eye.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

No but soon you can play battlefield v with your Xbox pals

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So there’s a Game Pass Quest for playing Halo MCC, and it says go to the Quest tile in the Game Pass tab. Where is that tile and what does it look like? Am I just retarded?

And yes I have Game Pass.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

People do those quest things? Do you actually get stuff or is that a carrot on a stick?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Beastie posted:

People do those quest things? Do you actually get stuff or is that a carrot on a stick?

For this particular one you get entered in a drawing for a cool Xbox or something, the quest requirements are things I would have done on my own anyway so it figured, why not?

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Since this thread is filled with broken brain people who need two threads to post Xbox loving Sucks poo poo over and over again, I welcome any normal people to come post here https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3856132 in the imp Zone, with my full endorsement, and we can talk about actually liking games, since this thread is a disaster and the mods refuse to do anything about it being another chat thread for these freaks. Thanks!

Posting for a new page.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Xbox Ambassador posted:

Since this thread is filled with broken brain people who need two threads to post Xbox loving Sucks poo poo over and over again, I welcome any normal people to come post here https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3856132 in the imp Zone, with my full endorsement, and we can talk about actually liking games, since this thread is a disaster and the mods refuse to do anything about it being another chat thread for these freaks. Thanks!

Posting for a new page.

I clicked your link and it gave me a 404 page, which I guess is the same things as a comprehensive list of good Xbone exclusives so you don't need to change it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
He's a freaking n00b who just c/ped his old post instead of quoting it.

Here's the actual link to the good XBOX thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856132

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

American McGay posted:

Here's the actual link to the good XBOX thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856132

Thank you :doh:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

So there’s a Game Pass Quest for playing Halo MCC, and it says go to the Quest tile in the Game Pass tab. Where is that tile and what does it look like? Am I just retarded?

And yes I have Game Pass.

One of the main tabs (like where mixer and store are) is gamepass now. Should be there

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

This a good post right here.

Xbox Ambassador posted:

I have the flu and had forza fever dreams where I was driving a big Xbox on treads like a tank in a rally race against master chief who had a warthog and welcome back Kotter who had s GTO that said “sweathogs” on the side of it

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Barudak posted:

One of the main tabs (like where mixer and store are) is gamepass now. Should be there

Yeah that’s where I’m looking, and I don’t see anything. I feel like a dumb-dumb :saddowns:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Costco has the Xbox One X for $450. I'm going to upgrade today and sell my Xbox One S.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Costco has the Xbox One X for $450. I'm going to upgrade today and sell my Xbox One S.

Isn’t $450 just the price now?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It still shows as $500 on Xbox.com.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just looked at one at target and it was still $500. Although they almost always run a free $50 card with it.

Does costco still pack in extra stuff or is it just the console?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah that’s where I’m looking, and I don’t see anything. I feel like a dumb-dumb :saddowns:

Oh, huh. Thats were it always popped for me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Never mind, Costco didn't have it. They will have a Forza Horizon 4 bundle on Tuesday instead.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Forza is growing on me. 60fps allows me to play it a lot longer than older car games.

Does it not have a thread? I even clicked on Automative Insanity for the first time looking for it, since SA loves to quarantine cool dude poo poo while allowing nearly every thread in Games to be about anime all day every day.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Forza is growing on me. 60fps allows me to play it a lot longer than older car games.

Does it not have a thread? I even clicked on Automative Insanity for the first time looking for it, since SA loves to quarantine cool dude poo poo while allowing nearly every thread in Games to be about anime all day every day.
Feel free to post in the IZ XBOX thread about it. It's what most of the boneheads are obsessed with at the moment. They'll probably let you join the crew.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

generally forza horizon chat has always gone in the thread for whatever the current main series entry is. this might be a good time to end that trend though since forza 7 was a pile of horrific dogshit that has completely deflated every goon who loved the series while forza horizon 4 by all accounts is really good.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I really enjoy forza right up until I have to drive the actual race cars. It'd be cool if they let more of the progression just be that you can stick in the lower classes and the AI just gets harder to beat rather than making you drive faster cars against the same AI

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

I'm back from my business trip and I've been watching Walking Dead season 8 on my XB1X on a 1080p plasma and the image quality seems insane compared to my OG PS4. does it do supersampling or something?

To Xbox Ambassador:

I have to make another trip because my mom broke her arm. Shouldn't take long. I still plan on hooking up for some online goodness. 2 questions:

1. What are the top games you guy's play?

2. Should I buy a headset to communicate?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

I'm back from my business trip and I've been watching Walking Dead season 8 on my XB1X on a 1080p plasma and the image quality seems insane compared to my OG PS4. does it do supersampling or something?

Weird, how are you watching it, streaming? It could be pulling a higher bitrate stream but there isn’t explicitly a hardware reason with the X where that would be the case; every device which can stream at 1080p should essentially give you identical results if they’re setup correctly (i.e. not streaming at a lower res due to settings)

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

univbee posted:

Weird, how are you watching it, streaming? It could be pulling a higher bitrate stream but there isn’t explicitly a hardware reason with the X where that would be the case; every device which can stream at 1080p should essentially give you identical results if they’re setup correctly (i.e. not streaming at a lower res due to settings)

Yeah, I'm watching it on Netflix. I thought maybe some newer shows streamed at over 1080p or something. Could just be a subconscious thing.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
It does that for games, but I've never heard of it for streaming video. It's possible, though, I suppose.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

Yeah, I'm watching it on Netflix. I thought maybe some newer shows streamed at over 1080p or something. Could just be a subconscious thing.

In Netflix's case, yes, it's probably pulling the UHD stream then, which has a higher bitrate which helps even on a 1080p screen. Had you not been streaming but using almost any other method, I would've assumed placebo.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

You need a different sub for the UHD Netflix content.

That said, my Netflix app updated a couple of weeks ago and they did something to the encoding and it looks a lot better than it did before.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
YouTube app on XbonX will pull the 4k streams even when you only have a 1080 display, as long as your connection is good enough. It makes some videos that pull up against bitrate limits look better.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

Beastie posted:

You need a different sub for the UHD Netflix content.

That said, my Netflix app updated a couple of weeks ago and they did something to the encoding and it looks a lot better than it did before.

Hmm...this must be it. I haven't made any changes to my sub. Whatever they did, I'm impressed. It looks just as good as watching a bluray.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

4K video content is really amazing looking. I have the UHD sub for Netflix and it's totally worth it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TV/Movies are different from gaming content since when all of the resolutions are rendered correctly there shouldn't be a difference between a native 1080p stream and a proper SDR 4K stream on a 1080p display. Of course, that isn't a consistent truth, and it's not uncommon for the 4K version to be from a higher quality master than the 1080p stream in many cases. And, of course, a 1080p stream with a bad bitrate will suffer, and a 4K stream downsampled to 1080p may well give you better results, especially since a bad bitrate for 4K might only create issues perceptible at native 4K, and when downsampled to 1080p will work around those issues.

The biggest hurdle with Netflix is that too little is in 4K, there's like a single-digit amount of content in 4K that isn't a Netflix Original. Ditto for Amazon Prime.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Amazon Prime has almost no 4K content, which is surprising to me and disappointing. Amazon Web Services makes a huge amount of internet content you access, their hosting services is massive, so they can for sure handle 4K content, they just choose not to. The best place to get 4K content seems to be from Apple TV. In my case though that would mean splitting up my movie library between two platforms, I am already pretty deep into Amazon Prime for where I purchase my movies.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, Apple hands-down has handled migrating to 4K the best out of all providers. For all of Apple's bullshit they are bizarrely pro-consumer when it comes to media purchases with iTunes, being the first people to strong-arm the music industry into ditching DRM on legal purchases, as well as forcing free 4K upgrades (except for Disney who are still withholding 4K from iTunes entirely). As much as people say you "own it" when you have a movie on physical media like DVD or Blu-ray that gets undone with future special edition/remastered reissues and format upgrades, not to mention discs getting damaged or lost. And the movie loving starts immediately when you hit play, none of this unskippable "FBI warning, trailers, you wouldn't download an Xbox game pay no attention to the music for this ad that we literally stole" bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

univbee posted:

Yeah, Apple hands-down has handled migrating to 4K the best out of all providers. For all of Apple's bullshit they are bizarrely pro-consumer when it comes to media purchases with iTunes, being the first people to strong-arm the music industry into ditching DRM on legal purchases, as well as forcing free 4K upgrades (except for Disney who are still withholding 4K from iTunes entirely). As much as people say you "own it" when you have a movie on physical media like DVD or Blu-ray that gets undone with future special edition/remastered reissues and format upgrades, not to mention discs getting damaged or lost. And the movie loving starts immediately when you hit play, none of this unskippable "FBI warning, trailers, you wouldn't download an Xbox game pay no attention to the music for this ad that we literally stole" bullshit.

I thought I heard recently they delisted things off the service that people had purchased though(unlike on xbox where you still have access to it, they remove it for everyone). That makes them decidedly less pro consumer if you can't rely on your library staying intact.