Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

album:https://imgur.com/a/RxFSf7k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
The action shots are okay, the ones of the fans are the best.

I love pictures of fans.

I'm considering getting a Canon 300mm f/4L IS. It's cheaperand lighter than the 2.8, but...

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

There wasn't a very big audience.

https://imgur.com/a/edvwyXn

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

azathosk posted:

The action shots are okay, the ones of the fans are the best.

I love pictures of fans.

I'm considering getting a Canon 300mm f/4L IS. It's cheaperand lighter than the 2.8, but...

A 300 f/4 is absolutely usable for sports, even at night now that iso 3200+ isn’t unusable. Lighter weight also helps.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

More pictures today:

album:https://imgur.com/a/V8X197M

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Soulex your stuff is getting a lot better. I'd be mindful of some of the backgrounds like this:

as there's a lot there that draws the eye away.

E: It's from a few submissions ago, but how the heck is the school OK that volleyball player #12 playing with a full knee brace like that? Seems like that would rip up the court floor if she dives. :psyduck:

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Vålerenga - Rosenborg 17.09.18 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

azathosk fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 17, 2018

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't waiting in excitement for this post.

I'm a huge sucker for tifo's of any kind and crowd shots so I love these.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

this weekend is my last one doing any shots for spartan race. I'm looking forward to being done with it. Least it's at MIS so maybe I'll get some neat backgrounds.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DJExile posted:

Soulex your stuff is getting a lot better. I'd be mindful of some of the backgrounds like this:

as there's a lot there that draws the eye away.

E: It's from a few submissions ago, but how the heck is the school OK that volleyball player #12 playing with a full knee brace like that? Seems like that would rip up the court floor if she dives. :psyduck:

Thanks for the feedback! Ill definitely keep it in mind! I was actually telling myself the same thing, to avoid flat backgrounds or distracting backgrounds during my past shoot/edit. I still use some depending on the player. The athletic staff asked me for more photos of their defense/keepers, so I keep ones Im iffy on if I know they need it. However, Im definitely trying to improve my work so Ill be more selective on where to shoot the keeper/defense so that its not distracting. Thanks again! Im really trying to take the next steps with improving and Im glad to hear Im getting better!

For the brace, I think she was injured last season and its used for support more than anything. She actually is one of my favorite subjects because she almost always looks like shes smiling when playing. I get what youre saying though, saw someone use one for basketball too.

This is extremely my poo poo. I hear you with the crowds. Hopefully they get bigger and better. I go to a college where sports is meh. Big turn outs for Gonzaga though.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Hey, this seems like the thread to ask! So tonight I got invited to this, uh, impromptu and rather illegal street moto race. Basically a few friends racing and doing wheelies and other stupid stunts on heavily customized motorbikes. It's going to be pretty difficult conditions for taking photos, but I'm pretty determined albeit horribly underequipped.

The challenges ahead: lovely street lighting in an urban setting. Fast-moving subjects. Complete lack of experience taking any sort of action photos. Sub-par equipment.

My gear is a NikonD3400, a Sigma 17-70 f2.8 lens, tri/monopod. I suppise I could bring my Sigma 105 macro with me but I'm worried the narrow framing would make things harder.

From what I've gathered after reading the last ~30 pages of this thread I should crank the ISO way up, set aperture to 2.8 or thereabouts, center focus point, shutter speed priority. I'm thinking of giving panning a go, so setting up the monopod would make my life easier. Burst shots, shooting jpegs rather than raw. Expecting a lot of editing afterwards. An extra SD card.

Did I miss anything? Any help is appreciated, tonight should be fun!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Don't be that idiot that gets close to the stunts. It's not worth your camera or your life.

You're probably not going to be able to stop the action so cranking the ISO and opening up to f/2.8 probably isn't going to do a ton for you, but give a go once or twice.

Don't be that idiot that gets close to the stunts. It's not worth your camera or your life.

You can close down to around f/8 or so and really slow the shutter speed to get some neat pans and light streaks though. You sound fairly well set otherwise.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

DJExile posted:

You're probably not going to be able to stop the action so cranking the ISO and opening up to f/2.8 probably isn't going to do a ton for you, but give a go once or twice.

You can close down to around f/8 or so and really slow the shutter speed to get some neat pans and light streaks though. You sound fairly well set otherwise.

Ahahahha I should've clarified: I most definitely am NOT going to be that idiot that gets close to the stunts as I'm not committed to my hobby enough to put my camera or my life on the line.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I was more mindful of my background (hopefully) this time.

album: https://imgur.com/a/6GyGkDr

There was almost no one there. I wish these games were more popular.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Busy season.

album: https://imgur.com/a/NS23f61

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

First, no second time shooting a handball game. None of the photos from the first time were anywhere near presentable so I'm much happier with this group.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmsyzMDJ

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Soulex posted:

I was more mindful of my background (hopefully) this time.

Speaking of backgrounds, I love this shot of yours from earlier

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Grimson posted:

Speaking of backgrounds, I love this shot of yours from earlier

Thanks! I honestly didn't even notice it until someone else pointed it out.

I have photo and video shoots every day until Tuesday.

album:https://imgur.com/a/GAMinlo

I also got hired kinda? The main photo dude who has been getting photo contracts for the past 20 years gave me partial commission on a game on Friday. He said I have good enough football shots (I only shot the one game), and that I really need to stop giving my stuff out for free. He said my portfolio is fine, and I should look to start scoring contracts. I'd love to but it's not that easy. He also said he's moving away from my college contract wise, so I might get some contract work soon. I don't know if his heart isn't in it or I accidentally hosed him out of a market. He said he would definitely give me some more of his sports work so he can focus on other things.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

album:https://imgur.com/a/wsYJBZt

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I choose to believe Riverside's #4 got a red for fouling his own teammate and SD guy is just sitting there in confusion.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DJExile posted:

I choose to believe Riverside's #4 got a red for fouling his own teammate and SD guy is just sitting there in confusion.

That might have happened. The tackle was bad (3 people slid into the ball) but someone apparently kicked out and got a straight red. I wasnt watching because I wanted to see if I got the shot. Looked back up and the ref was waiting.

Settings question! What AF setting do you use? I had been normally doing center point but Im also seeing some people say auto-all points. I dont mind trying new methods out and wonder if it will fix some of the off focus shots I take sometimes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Soulex posted:

Settings question! What AF setting do you use? I had been normally doing center point but Im also seeing some people say auto-all points. I dont mind trying new methods out and wonder if it will fix some of the off focus shots I take sometimes.

I think about the shot I want and work backwards from there. Examples:

BRW90027 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW90013 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

I'm standing around roughly the 15 yard line, Culver is running towards my end of the field. In this instance, I'll tell it to C-AF in a box around the upper right quarter of the frame, and try to keep it locked on the player's helmet/head. This allows me to give the subject plenty of space on the left for either the opponent in green in the second shot, or the shooter's stick in the first. In the 2nd shot the focus point is basically right around #23's chin strap and neck, kinda right in there.

I've also used tracking C-AF and put it kinda upper center so I can keep it locked on heads when they get closer, like so:

BRW64429 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

I've found all points AF gets a little messy even with high end equipment because there's just so much the focus could find that I would rather it just ignore. I'd rather force it to look in the areas I want.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Soulex posted:

That might have happened. The tackle was bad (3 people slid into the ball) but someone apparently kicked out and got a straight red. I wasnt watching because I wanted to see if I got the shot. Looked back up and the ref was waiting.

I've tried auto-AF but always end up back on center point. I back-button focus, though.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I tried Auto AF today and had some good ones but it missed one that was a portfolio worthy shot. Dude caught a ball in the air with a defender's hand in front of the ball. Except they are out of focus.

DJExile posted:

I think about the shot I want and work backwards from there. Examples:

BRW90027 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW90013 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

I'm standing around roughly the 15 yard line, Culver is running towards my end of the field. In this instance, I'll tell it to C-AF in a box around the upper right quarter of the frame, and try to keep it locked on the player's helmet/head. This allows me to give the subject plenty of space on the left for either the opponent in green in the second shot, or the shooter's stick in the first. In the 2nd shot the focus point is basically right around #23's chin strap and neck, kinda right in there.

I've also used tracking C-AF and put it kinda upper center so I can keep it locked on heads when they get closer, like so:

BRW64429 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

I've found all points AF gets a little messy even with high end equipment because there's just so much the focus could find that I would rather it just ignore. I'd rather force it to look in the areas I want.

Thanks. I think I might try this at some point. I read somewhere about someone setting their AF to back button and then having a different setting for half-pressed shutter. I think once I get more comfortable with games and the flow of action, I'll be able to remember when to use the two.

Took some more today.

album:https://imgur.com/a/j2b4DGR

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Had a handball and a football game yesterday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bendika/sets/72157701711724254

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bendika/albums/72157696093539910

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You've got good moments but in a lot of them there's nothing but backs, especially the third handball picture. The old adage of "2 faces and a ball" still holds true these days.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

DJExile posted:

You've got good moments but in a lot of them there's nothing but backs, especially the third handball picture. The old adage of "2 faces and a ball" still holds true these days.

True, I'm still working out where to position myself during the handball games.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Y’all need to get lower! Shoot from the ground, sitting or kneeling depending on how quickly you might need to get up and move. (Invest in kneepads and a folding camp chair, save your knees/back.) It cleans up your backgrounds since you don’t have the edge of the grass/floor cutting halfway through your subject, and it makes the action look more impressive if you’re looking up at people.

Somebody asked about Canon’s 300 f/4. When I was staff I had the f/2.8, but I couldn’t afford that when I first went freelance so I bought the f/4, so I’ve got a bunch of experience with both. The 2.8 is the superior lens, no question. If you’re mostly shooting in daylight, or under pro/D1 lights, you can get away with the f/4, but it’s still not ideal. If you need to shoot under worse lighting conditions you’ll be poo poo out of luck with the f/4. After this fall season I’m going to do some math and see if I can justify upgrading, but the f/4 will have gotten me through two football seasons adequately.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Had a volleyball game tonight. Against #1 BYU. We won 1 set. We went wild.

album:https://imgur.com/a/b0jFcE6

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dude dressed up as the inflatable tube guy you see outside car dealerships rules

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DJExile posted:

dude dressed up as the inflatable tube guy you see outside car dealerships rules

He really does and I hope he shows up more. There was another dude running around the bleachers like a coked out Chris Farley. Dancing like Farley would take off a jacket. Another dude took of his shoe for most of the night and used it as a cudgel. Lots of amazing energy I dont normally get to see. I spent more time watching them than the players.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Did some more soccer.

album: https://imgur.com/a/pBTLnm3

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

BobTheCow posted:

Somebody asked about Canon’s 300 f/4. When I was staff I had the f/2.8, but I couldn’t afford that when I first went freelance so I bought the f/4, so I’ve got a bunch of experience with both. The 2.8 is the superior lens, no question. If you’re mostly shooting in daylight, or under pro/D1 lights, you can get away with the f/4, but it’s still not ideal. If you need to shoot under worse lighting conditions you’ll be poo poo out of luck with the f/4. After this fall season I’m going to do some math and see if I can justify upgrading, but the f/4 will have gotten me through two football seasons adequately.

I'm considering a 300 f/4. The f/2.8 is a great lens, but it's currently way too expensive even in used condition. I'm planning to use it on top tier football and ice hockey with my 1Dx Mk1.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Any hockey photographers/editors want to move to sunny South Florida and relieve whoever is responsible this season for all the overcranked photos I'm going to see constantly on my TV/newsletters/email blasts etc. I'm sure it's not the photographers work/choice as the original pics are fine, but lord they've really gone to town with this style this year and it's ugly as hell.

https://www.nhl.com/panthers . It's *everywhere* (especially if you can see the banners, wait for the carousel to change)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Any hockey photographers/editors want to move to sunny South Florida and relieve whoever is responsible this season for all the overcranked photos I'm going to see constantly on my TV/newsletters/email blasts etc. I'm sure it's not the photographers work/choice as the original pics are fine, but lord they've really gone to town with this style this year and it's ugly as hell.

https://www.nhl.com/panthers . It's *everywhere* (especially if you can see the banners, wait for the carousel to change)

hoooooooooooooly poo poo yeah all of that is hideous :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably can't get any real photographers willing to move to Florida. I sure wouldn't do it for a fair wage.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Very cool photo essay about the Nairobi Ice Lions, the only womens hockey team in Kenya

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Hey all, I shot my first sports event last week! A flat track race for custom bikes of all sizes and types, with a bit of a punk rock DIY feel. I think the ones I'm posting here are the best of the lot, but all tips, critique and advice is welcome. This was a really fun event to shoot and I'd love to do better at the next one!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's a good start, some of your shots could use some opening up of your aperture, what are you shooting with?

You'll also want to crop them such that there's some open space for the bikes and stuff to 'run into', so to speak.

BRW20154 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

Kinda like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

DJExile posted:

It's a good start, some of your shots could use some opening up of your aperture, what are you shooting with?

You'll also want to crop them such that there's some open space for the bikes and stuff to 'run into', so to speak.

BRW20154 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

Kinda like this

I used a Nikon D3400 with a Sigma 17-70 2.8 lens. I think I see what you mean with the cropping, I cropped most of them a bit snug because it felt empty with the bikes off center. I'll play around a bit and try to find some balance.