Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Google isn't helping me much, does anyone know if there is a way of disabling Siri Eyes Free? When Siri is connected to my car it comes almost useless often in ways that don't make any sense, like I can't launch Spotify by voice even though I need to do that to bring up my car's native Spotify interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Are there any iPhone cases (iPhone SE specifically) that aren't gross, ugly poo poo?

I got my wife this one:
https://www.spigen.com/products/iphone-se-case-rugged-armor

Which despite the name is pretty understated. It's much more matte black in real life than the hero shots imply.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

That looks like poo poo rear end.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Did your monitor get shut off?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

No but I did forget not to sign my poasts

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, I've never liked Spigen's rugged cases.

I do have my eyeball on this sexy thing by them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GDZ1VKH

Love the minimalist profile and complete cut out on the bottom especially. I don't really give a poo poo about zero protection this thing has because AppleCare+, but I do care about the drat phone making a break for freedom off a table/desk that is not completely perpendicular to the pull of gravity.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

That actually doesn't look terrible, would be better if it was leather.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That actually doesn't look terrible, would be better if it was leather.

Yeah, I still have and use the One True Case, but at that price I may get it and give it a spin.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

One True Case
?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Apple Saddle Brown Leather, Praise Be Unto It.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Besides being bland I just feel like it will add extra bulk, and the usability of the SE based on its size is the whole reason I bought it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Proteus Jones posted:

Apple Saddle Brown Leather, Praise Be Unto It.

I got my new one in the mail for my XS. It looks so awful when it's new and clean.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

I got my new one in the mail for my XS. It looks so awful when it's new and clean.

It's also scary amounts of slippery so I'm smearing as much cheeto dust on it as possible

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Obviously this charging issue is a big deal and needs to be addressed but the dude in the YouTube video, and Forbes magazine using phrases like “this is a nightmare” is just... why I hate youtubers and stuff.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Feenix posted:

Obviously this charging issue is a big deal and needs to be addressed but the dude in the YouTube video, and Forbes magazine using phrases like “this is a nightmare” is just... why I hate youtubers and stuff.

Gotta get them views! Don't forget to like the video, subscribe to my channel, and hit the bell icon for notifications!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Here’s a pretty good article about the saddle brown case.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/16/17357436/how-to-patina-iphone-x-leather-case-saddle-brown-processor

quote:

I used sand paper. I also paid special attention to wear away the Apple logo on the case because, you know what, it’s my case now.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I thought that this could have been something my phone was dealing with.

I have an X and we went on trips the last two weekends. When I plug my phone into the USB carport, it begins playing music (always that drat U2 song) but it barely charges. It can be plugged in for 30 mins and I only get a 2% bump.

If I plug it into my cigarette lighter port or wall port, it charges just fine. Could my USB port be slowing down the charging?

Yeah I think that's the reason my Mazda needs a hardware upgrade to support Carplay - without it the port can't provide enough power to actually stop the phone from discharging under usage.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co3ygE6H7PU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Hey can someone link me that 'upload to Imgur and get bbcode link' Shortcut that was posted a while back?

Gotta post fast.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I remember just using stickers, no case, for my iPhone 4. Carbon fiber back, some random color for the sides. Somehow my phone survived perfectly for two years. I don’t know how that happened.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

spanky the dolphin posted:

Hey can someone link me that 'upload to Imgur and get bbcode link' Shortcut that was posted a while back?

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/8b4c485d68d143b1baafc811d79f675b

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
When I 3D Touch a playlist of music synced to my phone from iTunes and try to Play Later to add it to my Now Playing list, I get an ad to sign up for Apple Music and it doesn't add anything to the now playing list. Thanks Apple.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao this is a guy who buys pre-ripped and faded jeans, too, I bet.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hey let’s not drag faded jeans into this.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Holy poo poo the Verge is so bad. I mean it's always been bad, but it's especially bad ever since the iPhone prototype fiasco.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Dave posted:

Hey let’s not drag faded jeans into this.

Faded jeans are good if they are faded because you wore them. Jeans you buy faded from the store are bad.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Vegetable posted:

I remember just using stickers, no case, for my iPhone 4. Carbon fiber back, some random color for the sides. Somehow my phone survived perfectly for two years. I don’t know how that happened.

Yeah I did the same with my 4s. Was perfect with just a 3m skin on the back. But that was pre camera bump.

I just don’t want to leave my camera glass exposed on the newer phones.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Blinkman987 posted:

I get that Airpods are super popular, but every interaction I've had with the Apple headphones included with my phones has made me doubt them. They look about the same in shape and are so uncomfortable and fall out pretty frequently. How does Airpods fix this?

Apple Stores usually have a demo pair you can try on (and that they clean between uses) so you can see if you have a store nearby. EarPods never fit me at all but AirPods are decent, I suspect because the weight of wires aren’t pulling them down.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Holy poo poo the Verge is so bad. I mean it's always been bad, but it's especially bad ever since the iPhone prototype fiasco.

That was Gizmodo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blinkman987 posted:

I get that Airpods are super popular, but every interaction I've had with the Apple headphones included with my phones has made me doubt them. They look about the same in shape and are so uncomfortable and fall out pretty frequently. How does Airpods fix this?

They don't. Well, they may fall out less since there's no cord pulling them down, but if you find EarPods uncomfortable, AirPods won't solve that.

Source: I tried AirPods for a half hour and returned them.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

FCKGW posted:

That was Gizmodo.

True, but the Verge is indeed bad.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Weedle posted:

True, but the Verge is indeed bad.

Here's the editor-in-cheif of The Verge, Nilay Patel, having a complete meltdown over someone making fun of his spiky bracelet

http://gawker.com/adult-website-editor-throws-twitter-tantrum-over-his-br-1697459743

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

They don't. Well, they may fall out less since there's no cord pulling them down, but if you find EarPods uncomfortable, AirPods won't solve that.

Source: I tried AirPods for a half hour and returned them.

I never found EarPods to be especially comfortable, but the difference with AirPods was enough that I find them legit comfortable.
The real answer is: go to a store, try them on. You'll at least get a good idea as to whether you immediately find them comfortable or not, and if they end up not working, there's a 14-day return policy.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I love AirPods and even loved EarPods but the actual part that goes into your ear is the exact same shape, it's hard to believe that it somehow becomes "more comfortable" (at least in terms of fitting within one's ear) just by transitioning to wireless.

Now, propensity to fall out of my ears? Night and loving day. EarPods fell out all the time, and I was worried the same would happen with AirPods, especially since the former at least had the cord to secure them from falling too far and also didn't cost five billion earth dollars or whatever AirPods cost. But yeah, no wire tug means AirPods stay nice and snug.™

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Here's the editor-in-cheif of The Verge, Nilay Patel, having a complete meltdown over someone making fun of his spiky bracelet

http://gawker.com/adult-website-editor-throws-twitter-tantrum-over-his-br-1697459743

I was hoping he did this again, but oh well, still a good reminder!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

FCKGW posted:

gawker was too good for this world

rip

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

FCKGW posted:

That was Gizmodo.

Oh poo poo you're right. I had my lovely tech sites (that are really just copy/paste of press releases) mixed up.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Edit: Ehhh not iPhone related

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm old enough to remember Gizmodo getting blackballed for posting about the found / stolen iPhone 4 prototype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Swipe left all the way past the manage/view/clear options. (to clear a notification)

Ok, this UI must have been designed when there were fewer than 3 things in that menu and it was easier to do. Or something.

It's incredibly difficult to actually do on my XS. Most of the time, I fail, and it just opens the menu. Some of the time, I accidentally open the camera. Occasionally, I manage to dismiss the notification!

But thanks for the tip!