Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Check out hackintosh forums for USB Bluetooth and WiFi adapter models. You’ll usually get confirmation in the Amazon reviews by hackintosh users on how well they work. I even got a random Chinese WiFi stick that works fine out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

JnnyThndrs posted:

This is the card that Tonymac recommends nowadays, several people report complete success.

$37 on fleabay, but it ships from China.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-BCM943602CS-1750Mbps-802-11ac-Wireless-PCi-Express-WiFi-Adapter-BT4-0-/302479497765

This seller doesn't accept payments now for whatever reason. Would this one be the same? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-B...Sw9V5bD9Qm#rwid

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

LODGE NORTH posted:

This seller doesn't accept payments now for whatever reason. Would this one be the same? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-B...Sw9V5bD9Qm#rwid

Looks like the same card to me.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

So I finally got the part in and all is well. Just one thing though. My display will go to sleep when I need it to, however, when my computer goes to sleep, the wifi upon waking up doesn't work. It's simply stuck as "off" I try to press "Turn Wifi On" and nothing happens. Wifi works perfectly fine on cold booting and otherwise, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why it stops working once the computer wakes up. On Windows, it works fine regardless, no issues at all.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well I said screw it and updated to the beta of Mojave on my hack. I'll be damned. Smoothest upgrade ever.

(Unlike the nightmare of High Seirra)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well I said screw it and updated to the beta of Mojave on my hack. I'll be damned. Smoothest upgrade ever.

(Unlike the nightmare of High Seirra)

Did you get converted to APFS? Only trading one nightmare for another IMHO.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Binary Badger posted:

I did that shitshow when I upgraded to HS.

Mojave was basically downloading the install and off it went. No clover updates, no multibeast, unibeast, etc.

Still have one nagging problem that has existed since forever. But for a major upgrade fairly easy.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Binary Badger posted:

Did I miss something? APFS has been rock solid on my hackintosh since it was introduced

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Updating my KVM to Mojave today. Will report back.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Update: Everything went perfectly. I did have to restart without GPU pass-through so I could select the MacOS installation partition that Mojave created, but after a second reboot I now have Dark mode. :woop:

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Yeah, same. I had more issues updating clover than I did updating to Mojave. (Make sure you select all the drivers under the submenu when you're updating!)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So I need to wait for nvidia to update the web driver before I upgrade to Mojave on a 1080ti, correct?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yup, nVidia said it takes 2-3 weeks for them to get a driver for a major macOS release and 2-3 days for point releases.

Contingent on the release is approval from Apple.

Makes me wonder that there's some hapless low-level engineer at Apple who still has to keep a couple of iMac 2013/Mac Pro 2012s running just to be able to test those drivers.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Just did an clean install of installed Mojave on my system: GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 / 4690K / ASUS Dual RX580. Previously I was running El Capitan.

It seems like every time I install a new version it somehow gets a little easier. I used UniBeast for the install, and the High Sierra MultiBeast for post install, using it only to install: Clover, FakeSMC and AtherosE2200 kexts, and to set the system definition to iMac14,2.

I didn't have any audio at this point since I read not to use the High Sierra MultiBeast for installing audio drivers on Mojave. Instead of patching anything, I installed Lilu and AppleALC kexts, and all my ins and outs showed up after a reboot. For some reason, MultiBeast had still inserted 3 AppleHDA entries in my Clover config.plist under KextsToPatch, even though I never set it to install audio drivers or patches. I removed these entries when I installed the above kexts.

My only other issue turned out to be a common one, which is that QuickLook and Preview were borked. They would not open image files, or at least not jpegs - they'd still open PDFs. This was fixed by enabling the previously disabled IGPU, and installing WhateverGreen (which requires Lilu). Mojave also detected and used my ultrawide monitor's native resolution from the start, which is an improvement over El Capitan.

Things I don't use and can't comment on that others may find important: sleep, HDMI audio, iMessage, wifi, an Nvidia card. The only thing I'll probably tinker with now is power management.

utonium fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 16, 2018

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Using UniBeat and MultiBeast and calling it “clean” is almost a stretch.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

LODGE NORTH posted:

Using UniBeat and MultiBeast and calling it “clean” is almost a stretch.
Oops, you are right! I guess I meant fresh install? I didn't upgrade.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Can I get a rundown on the quickest way to get a hackintosh up and running? It's for a friend that will literally only use it for Traktor.

Looking for a recommendation on the hardware and software. Don't care about OSX version, just need the simplest easiest way to get up and running. Bullet points are fine my mom says I'm good with computers.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you want quick and dirt do what utonium has done. Check OP if you want something that is a bit more work but it's tidy and if something broke you will know why most of the time since you didn't black box the build.

There are databases out there with tested parts. You can sort of buy any motherboards these days but I always recommend Gigabyte boards as they seem to have special sauce that makes things a lot easier to deal with post install. Buy an iX whatever, maybe something close to existing macs, don't buy bleeding edge unless others have confirmed it's good. No Xeno/Pentium from a who the hell knows if it works angle.

You can easily get High Sierra and higher working. Older versions require more effort for questionable utility.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

There are build guides on tonymac for example.

But from experience...start small (meaning the iGPU which isn't easy either) and move up from there.

Mojave was the easiest dang upgrade ever. Usually I have to "fight" them a tad but once I figured out the kexts (which you will get to know) along with the Clover Configurator it all starts to click.

In short, start with an Intel board with realtek audio and onboard video and you should be good to go.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you want to short cut dealing with iGPU throw in a Nvidia 710 or similar as they are OOB and a kext away from HDMI audio once you get the normal audio going.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
How has Mojave support been so far? I don't want to blow up my High Sierra install just quite yet.

Edit: I do need web drivers.

BiG TrUcKs !!! fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 19, 2018

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

How has Mojave support been so far? I don't want to blow up my High Sierra install just quite yet.

Edit: I do need web drivers.

No web drivers available yet for Mojave.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I jumped into the hackintosh world using TonymacX86 guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/unibeast-install-macos-mojave-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.259381/)

I got to the part where I reached the macOS desktop, but the guide just sorta lets me off stranded with driver support. I used the Multibeast program to install drivers, but its not really clear which drivers work out best for my set of hardware? Is there some established guide out there which helps determine what boxes to check? Or is it just combing through various forums and seeing if someone else in the world has an ASUS ROG Z370-i on macOS Mojave?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Your specs: Match the chip number/codec to available drivers you can find via google.

https://www.asus.com/nz/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-I-GAMING/specifications/

Audio: FX S1220a

https://hackintosher.com/guides/fix-asus-supremefx-s1220a-hackintosh-audio/

Network: Intel® I219V

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304235-intelmausiethernetkext-for-intel-onboard-lan/

Multi-B might work if you can find an exact match but it is no where near comprehensive with a bunch of generic meh. My experience with MB isn't great even with an exact matches. I always end up having to do it manually. Thankfully it is a lot more safer now as you don't have to S/L/E except as a last resort. I hope you are installing the drivers on your test boot USB before migrating it to your boot disk.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

oohhboy posted:

I hope you are installing the drivers on your test boot USB before migrating it to your boot disk.

Heh, whoops. I was just sorta shotgunning them onto the main drive since nothing seemed to stick. I’m not against nuking and paving the install if I’ve dug myself in too deep. All this is on a separate SSD on my daily driver. Is there a more comprehensive and recent guide? Theres a lot of terms I don't know "kext" "S/L/E" and I feel bad crapping up the thread with 101-level questions.

e: https://hackintosher.com/guides/ Should I just start here and abandon the other website?

buglord fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 21, 2018

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

buglord posted:

Heh, whoops. I was just sorta shotgunning them onto the main drive since nothing seemed to stick. I’m not against nuking and paving the install if I’ve dug myself in too deep. All this is on a separate SSD on my daily driver. Is there a more comprehensive and recent guide? Theres a lot of terms I don't know "kext" "S/L/E" and I feel bad crapping up the thread with 101-level questions.

e: https://hackintosher.com/guides/ Should I just start here and abandon the other website?

kext, in this instance, refers to files you place in your EFI partition or certain folders (next line of text below) to either add features, modify pre-existing ones, or anything similar to that.

S/L/E/ and buy extension, L/E/ stand for /System/Library/Extensions or Library/Extensions. Don't know how other people feel about it, but I don't think anything needs to go in SLE or LE in 2018 on High Sierra unless otherwise stated to do so. I pop everything in my EFI's Other folder.

If you're after the best method, follow this https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/68p1e2/ramblings_of_a_hackintosher_a_sorta_brief_vanilla/

If you're after a quick cut and dry, you're better off doing a search of "[your motherboard] [graphics card] hackintosh" This might be worthwhile to look at. https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/7mroab/success_high_sierra_on_coffee_lake_i58600k_asus/

If you use an NVIDIA graphics card, you should avoid Mojave for the time being - there are no web drivers available for it, so you'd be stuck using what integrated graphics you have.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah I’m gonna check out those links tonight when I get home. Thanks! I have a GTX1070 so I think I’m gonna have to wait for a while and use the weird substandard settings I’m locked into. Or maybe see if my i7 8700 iGPU will suffice for a while.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

buglord posted:

Yeah I’m gonna check out those links tonight when I get home. Thanks! I have a GTX1070 so I think I’m gonna have to wait for a while and use the weird substandard settings I’m locked into. Or maybe see if my i7 8700 iGPU will suffice for a while.

Personally, I'd just rock High Sierra, but yeah, it's all up to you. based off your graphics card, you can/could/should follow that guy's guide up above if you do plan on running High Sierra. Any problems you run into afterwards can be solved by just googling the problem more than likely.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Note down any oddites while you install so you can refer to them when you upgrade or rebuild. Since you have managed to boot, just google away for drivers. I personally like to take the small amount of time separating out the kext in the EFI/Clover folders just in case. I assume you have Clover Configurator? Get it, no one is expecting you to open Textedit, plus CC has a raw edit function if you want that.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

oohhboy posted:

The OP guide should still be mostly be relevant as Clover really changed the game. Google your motherboard and several after action reports should show up you can cross reference. It will be things like audio, GFX, network that will trip you up. I personally don't recommend doing a xyz-beast install, but that's just me as plenty others seem to do ok. I find troubleshooting far easier after doing a manual install because I knew what I did instead of a black box process. If you can help it don't shove things into S/L/E as Clover can handle that far better.

Run Clover on a USB stick so you can fix it if something breaks without pulling your computer apart and you can add Clover to your boot device later. Stick it somewhere safe so you will always have a known good boot loader.

Once you are good to good run Time Machine as it is the loving Boss. It won't save you from breaking Clover but will save you if an update goes wrong.

Thanks for this topic and the guide, it was quite helpful. I went through a bunch of guides and tutorials, set up a new mini-itx computer with high sierra. One thing I did run into - you need a 32 gb usb for the os now. I had an 8 but had to scrounge for another because the installer is about 20 gig. My onboard audio was a mobile chipset, so after trying a bunch of different things to get the audio working, ended up installing the voodooHDA kext; that fixed the hdmi out and everything else. Except for some distortion on the front panel headphone jack everything is working fine. I have an nvidia, so the graphics didn't work until I updated to 10.13.6, but now everything is perfect. Even has some nice desktop backgrounds.

Now I have a nice fast Mac with good graphics that didn't cost a ton. This looks like it's going to be a nice computer to work with, I haven't worked with a Mac much for a while. All I have left is to pick up a wireless card and maybe install Windows alongside for games. I think I'll just leave the os on high sierra for a while, this looks good.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

enMTW posted:

Hardware Buyer's Guide

In the near future, this post will contain recommended hardware and related things. For now, it contains nothing at all.

Can I just get a parts list? What's the most trouble-free set of parts?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

revmoo posted:

Can I just get a parts list? What's the most trouble-free set of parts?

Are you looking to build the best Hackintosh possible or just enough to have a functional one?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

LODGE NORTH posted:

Are you looking to build the best Hackintosh possible or just enough to have a functional one?

cheap and functional.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

revmoo posted:

cheap and functional.

Well https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/building-a-customac-hackintosh-the-ultimate-buyers-guide/#CustoMac_Budget_ATX

Heck my Mojave system is on an Ivy Bridge CPU built years ago. Rumor is it might not be long for this world since they canned Sandy Bridge support (but they are working on work arounds).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

LODGE NORTH posted:

kext, in this instance, refers to files you place in your EFI partition or certain folders (next line of text below) to either add features, modify pre-existing ones, or anything similar to that.

S/L/E/ and buy extension, L/E/ stand for /System/Library/Extensions or Library/Extensions. Don't know how other people feel about it, but I don't think anything needs to go in SLE or LE in 2018 on High Sierra unless otherwise stated to do so. I pop everything in my EFI's Other folder.

This is what confuses me and I don't really have a say in the matter. In my "Other" folder I basically have 4 kexts. Rest I dump into extensions.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/building-a-customac-hackintosh-the-ultimate-buyers-guide/#CustoMac_Budget_ATX

Heck my Mojave system is on an Ivy Bridge CPU built years ago. Rumor is it might not be long for this world since they canned Sandy Bridge support (but they are working on work arounds).

I just priced a build with that second board and it was $400 for ram/cpu/mobo/psu.

Is that really the cheapest a hackintosh can be built for these days? That feels like more than I spent on my first couple hackintoshes. It's been a while admittedly but that seems a bit high.

mewse
May 2, 2006

revmoo posted:

Is that really the cheapest a hackintosh can be built for these days? That feels like more than I spent on my first couple hackintoshes. It's been a while admittedly but that seems a bit high.

Z370 is a premium overclocking chipset so the motherboard there is probably adding significant cost. I have to think a gigabyte H310M would probably be just as good but it probably depends on the network chipset etc

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm just going to give him my Sierra rig and worry about a new hackintosh later.

We're in this really irritating spot where new Macs sucks rear end but hackintosh's are getting harder and more expensive. Windows and the NSA want to look at your butthole, and Linux still isn't quite there yet.

As of today the only viable OS I have in use is Win10 LTSB with a shameful amount of GPO fixes.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Win 10 Enterprise is just as viable since you can control everything including updates. Get on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I've managed to hit a problem pretty quickly trying to do this. The installer launched from clover just stalls instantly, if I put it in verbose mode it seems to stop with the error 'RTC: Only Single Ram Bank (128 bytes)' anyone know what this means?

This is on an Asus x99 board with a 5820k and a Vega gpu.