Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I've got a mag-naturals ledge in one of my gecko's cage and it has kind of a rough foam finish. The ledge is his favorite place and he licks water off of it but it hasn't seemed to cause any issues yet.

The foam washes off under the faucet easily, I don't think that water absorbs into it; it might already be sealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
Yeah, it's a Magnaturals hideaway.

I also have the Exoterra canopy cave, which had a razor sharp edge on the inside of the opening that had to be awkwardly sanded down. It's in my male's cage, and he loves it dearly.

I got the Magnaturals this time because I was hoping to get a cave I wouldn't have to gently caress around with so much before I could use it. Didn't really work out, though. :sigh:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Aquarium-grade silicone sealant will cure to very non-toxic and durable finish.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Plasti Dip is supposedly non-toxic, but the MSDS makes me want to steer clear. Especially compared to the Modge Podge.

Aquarium silicone is an interesting idea, but it's a fairly big cave. Silicone seems like it would be thick and hard to spread.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yeah, the key thing is that you have to let the Plasti Dip cure. Once it's cured, it's fine. In its wet state it's pretty gross.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Samila posted:

Plasti Dip is supposedly non-toxic, but the MSDS makes me want to steer clear. Especially compared to the Modge Podge.

Aquarium silicone is an interesting idea, but it's a fairly big cave. Silicone seems like it would be thick and hard to spread.

I've covered like a square foot or two of rough surface with silicone before. It is sticky and goopy but if you put on a glove or just work with a plastic spatula or whatever, you can smear it around pretty easily. It's about the consistency of toothpaste as it comes out of the tube and you have plenty of time to work with it before it hardens up. It has the advantages of being pretty much completely inert, waterpoof, sticks to any surface including glass, and cures to a very nontoxic state (you should let it cure for a week before use). Note that this is specifically aquarium grade silicone sealant: other products may contain mold inhibitors and other components which are potentially toxic to animals. Aquarium sealant is 100% silicone with no other additives.

It will probably be pretty ugly though if you just smear sealant on it and call it a day. When I was sealing foam in a frog tank, I applied the sealant in large patches, spread it out, and then pushed coconut husk powder against it to create a natural-looking "dirty" surface that was completely watertight but didn't look too bad. I was using black aquarium sealant, I don't think it would have looked too good as clear stuff.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
My lil buddy has snake mites. I am going to clean out his cage and disinfect everything with zoo med wipe out. But I need a mite spray and the local pets stores don't seem to carry the reptile mite spray.

Is there a alternative I can use that won't be harmful to my ball python?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Mappo posted:

My lil buddy has snake mites. I am going to clean out his cage and disinfect everything with zoo med wipe out. But I need a mite spray and the local pets stores don't seem to carry the reptile mite spray.

I'd have to look up exactly what they are called when I get home, but there are a species of predator mite who only attack other mites. Once there are no more mites to eat they all die off.

Edit: we used Hypoaspis Miles in the past and they worked really well.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 6, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wdeZLyXUK8

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Great hat.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Mappo posted:

You can soak your snake in diluted betadine. I've heard that a few drops of Dawn dishsoap in water works too. Just don't dunk the snake's head. If he has any mites on his head, you can use a q-tip to apply a little bit of mineral oil around the eyes and heatpits. Don't forget the little crease under the chin, mites love to hide there!

I'd keep him on paper towels until the mites are gone, just to make it easier to see and eliminate the mites.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
We had snake mites last year. Great fun. Get rid of all the bedding; our little ball had a 10 gallon QT tank, so I just threw the entire thing out and set him up in a rubbermaid tote with paper towels, with a heat pad outside, inside a larger tote that was lined with food-grade diatemaceous earth.

The real fun started when I had to break down all the other snake tanks and put everyone on paper towels, smallest being 20 gallons long to a custom made enclosure about 200 gallons.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Samila posted:

Modge Podge stays tacky for-goddamn-ever and is water-based, so every time you spray the cage it'll absorb the moisture and revert to wet glue.

Anecdotal, but we have a similar magnetic cave for our crestie (don't remember the brand) and it's been fine. I don't usually spray the cave itself, though, don't want mold building up in the corners.

Question for the thread: there's someone here with a leucistic ball python, and i think some pieds. Is it hard to tell if they're having a rough shed? Seems like it would be with the white scales. So pretty though.
Had a kingpin all picked out but apparently she's decided that eating is not a thing she'd like to do in this lifetime.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My blue eyed lucy gets the pink belly still when he is going into shed.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
That makes sense. How about for stuck scales or a partial shed?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
He got a stuck shed once. But Ax is loving chill (he let me soak him daily when he had mites) and let me help him with several baths.

Anyone else hit the Tucson show yesterday?

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I need some help with my enclosure for my ~4 month old boa. I'm using a 74 quart tub that I bought mostly because it was the only tub I could find with a latch system all the way around the lid. Here's an idea of what I'm dealing with:

When I was getting this set up before he arrived, I originally had an under tank heater on it, but found that it couldn't keep the temperatures where I wanted them. Maybe my fault for getting a tub so large, but I feel good about the size of it since I've mounted bird ladders and stuff up around the sides, and he absolutely loves to climb all over them. So when that didn't work, I used a soldering iron to cut a hole in the lid of exactly the perfect size for a ceramic heat emitter, hot glued a metal mesh above it, and put the CHE on top. This was working great before he arrived, and when he first got here. However I've moved since then, and my new apartment is apparently way drier than my old one. This + the CHE is absolutely murdering my ability to maintain any humidity without generously misting multiple times a day.

I'm looking for any help on how to maintain humidity with this current setup, or how I'd go about heating the enclosure with another method if necessary. I've thought about getting some sort of humidifier for my room, but I have no idea how much that would actually help. So my setup currently is:
-Ceramic heat emitter (on a thermostat)
-Substrate is a layer of fir bark (what I bought at first), and now a layer of coconut husk on top of it
-An area of sphagnum moss that I get wet in addition to my misting

I'm lucky that he hasn't gone in to shed yet, and I'm desperate to get this taken care of before he does. Any suggestions on my best options? I'll be ordering an animal plastics enclosure soon with a radiant heat panel, and I assume this will be a non issue once that arrives, but I understand it takes somewhere between 2-3 months to receive them.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I have a rather large, shallow water dish placed about halfway between the hot and cool sides.

Coeurl Marx fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 8, 2018

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Base q: what kind of boa?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
In one of our pine snake tanks we have a "fog maker" that just floats in a water dish and converts the water in the dish to mist. It keeps a large aquarium at quite a good humidity and might work for you.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

TheNothingNew posted:

Modge Podge stays tacky for-goddamn-ever and is water-based, so every time you spray the cage it'll absorb the moisture and revert to wet glue.

Anecdotal, but we have a similar magnetic cave for our crestie (don't remember the brand) and it's been fine. I don't usually spray the cave itself, though, don't want mold building up in the corners.

Question for the thread: there's someone here with a leucistic ball python, and i think some pieds. Is it hard to tell if they're having a rough shed? Seems like it would be with the white scales. So pretty though.
Had a kingpin all picked out but apparently she's decided that eating is not a thing she'd like to do in this lifetime.

Crap. Well, thanks for the heads-up on the Modge Podge.

I'm probably being way too concerned about the gritty cave anyway, but that's typical for me when it comes to my reptiles.

On another note, I have ivory ball pythons, which are also white. You can tell when they're about to shed because they turn pinkish, except for the eyes, which turn cloudy blue. (I actually have a harder time telling when my super pastels are about to shed than the ivories.) You can also see any stuck shed on them pretty easily. It looks a bit dingy/greyish and stands out against the white scales, which are extra bright after a shed.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

Base q: what kind of boa?

He's a BCI, a tarahumara to be specific.

Is that fog maker something that would be available at an aquarium supply store I assume? I've got one not too far from me that I've never been to.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Peachy Poo posted:

He's a BCI, a tarahumara to be specific.

Is that fog maker something that would be available at an aquarium supply store I assume? I've got one not too far from me that I've never been to.

Don't know. We got it off amazon. Never looked to see what kind of stores might actually carry them.

EDIT: Specifically this is what we got https://www.amazon.com/AGPTEK%C2%AE-Original-Fountain-Atomizer-Humidifier/dp/B00PAJXROW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1539025054 They are designed to go in stuff like bird baths and such to generate a mist effect. Depending on how much water you have in there you may want a variety that floats. I was concerned that it may concern the snake, but she has come over to investigate it a few times but other than that seems utterly unconcerned.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 8, 2018

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Friend of mine picked up a pair of young uros at the Tucson show. She's had bearded dragons and misc other lizards before, so knows her stuff, but these guys haven't touched any of the baby green mix she's given them. I know they can be super tempermental with change, and she's only had them since Saturday, but how long before she needs to worry?

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Khisanth Magus posted:

Don't know. We got it off amazon. Never looked to see what kind of stores might actually carry them.

EDIT: Specifically this is what we got https://www.amazon.com/AGPTEK%C2%AE-Original-Fountain-Atomizer-Humidifier/dp/B00PAJXROW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1539025054 They are designed to go in stuff like bird baths and such to generate a mist effect. Depending on how much water you have in there you may want a variety that floats. I was concerned that it may concern the snake, but she has come over to investigate it a few times but other than that seems utterly unconcerned.

Alright, I'll keep this in mind, thanks for the suggestion! I've managed to level it out to a healthy level since I made that post by just being more aggressive with my misting and upkeep on the moss. It's been rainy for a few days straight here though, if it dips again when this is over I'll probably look into that.

I'm trying to hold back from just dumping a mountain of pictures in here, but a friend wanted me to try and get pictures of his eyes, and I'm real happy with how this one turned out. :3:

I made an instagram here for sharing with my friends, if you're in the mood for more of him.

Aside from the humidity concerns, I'm really happy with how everything is going with him and he continues to be far more chill and pleasant to deal with than I expected. He still spends the majority of his time hanging out on his ladder, but has started using his warm hide now and then. Had his 2nd feeding a few days ago. Took it while hanging out on the ladder of course - he bit the mouse sideways, constricted it, and then spent a solid 30 minutes trying to figure out how to maneuver his head under the ladder to get at it. Ended up dropping it, and when I brought it up to him again he made me just hold it with the tongs while he slowly grabbed on.

Very cute and friendly, couldn't be happier with him.

Coeurl Marx fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 9, 2018

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!
A good thing happened a couple months ago: my lovely boyfriend ordered me a tomato frog for my paludarium! He came in a little skinny, but he's doing really well now. He won't come out of his little hidey-hut during the day, but I've heard that's fairly normal for them. When I got him, he was about the size of a quarter; now he's between a quarter and a half dollar in size. I really could not be happier with him. His name is George, nominally... short for Georgia if he ends up being female. (we can only hope!) The name that seems to have stuck for him around the house though is "tiny tomate." He's still terrified of us. The last time I handled him my hands broke out in a rash like poison ivy, so I'm going to pick up some disposable gloves and try to get him used to handling/people. The hope is to get him tong feeding someday.

My African Clawed Frog Paul is as aggressive as ever, although he's gotten a bit lazy with the treats I feed him. I drop him roaches from my dubia colony on occasion, and he'll sit there and look at me until I move them to where he is in the water. He begs for food, too. He'll swim up to the glass when I'm in the room and make little motions with his front feet like he's trying to cram something in his mouth. I give him minnows sometimes and he'll happily chase those around. It's so much fun to watch him hunt them down, and the enrichment/exercise is good for him. He'll also eat right out of my hand, though. I really should get around to aquascaping his tank. He's a good little guy.

Next on my list is a Budgett's Frog. Everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE, seems to be sold out of them. I'm gonna put some of the filter media in Paul's tank and then move it to the new tank. Setup is just a matter of getting my tank stand up and getting the tank put together; I have all the stuff ready to go, and will be getting a few live plants as soon as I go in to work tomorrow. The only problem is actually getting the frog. Anyone know where I can get a Budgett's frog in central NJ? I'm not sure if I'll be able to go to the Hamburg, PA reptile show this month. It's on the 20th, and my much-needed new mattress is being delivered that day.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Samila posted:

Crap. Well, thanks for the heads-up on the Modge Podge.

I'm probably being way too concerned about the gritty cave anyway, but that's typical for me when it comes to my reptiles.

On another note, I have ivory ball pythons, which are also white. You can tell when they're about to shed because they turn pinkish, except for the eyes, which turn cloudy blue. (I actually have a harder time telling when my super pastels are about to shed than the ivories.) You can also see any stuck shed on them pretty easily. It looks a bit dingy/greyish and stands out against the white scales, which are extra bright after a shed.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I made the mistake of letting my kids tag along to the Lizard Store when I was picking up some chirpi bois for the beardies the other day.

Now the past several days my daughter has been pestering me with the incessant need for a tortoise.

I have explained they are not snuggly, less so even than the beardies. That they live long enough that it is a commitment not only for me, but also for her to take over when I am done in by heart disease or jealous husband, and then even potentially her kid.

Still she persists, looking up facts and care sheet stuff and trying to persuade me.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Much like your daughter I too dream of torts. Small apartment living is not condusive to these dream, but I still dream of the Kamp Kenan tort lifestyle.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Owlbear Camus posted:

I made the mistake of letting my kids tag along to the Lizard Store when I was picking up some chirpi bois for the beardies the other day.

Now the past several days my daughter has been pestering me with the incessant need for a tortoise.

I have explained they are not snuggly, less so even than the beardies. That they live long enough that it is a commitment not only for me, but also for her to take over when I am done in by heart disease or jealous husband, and then even potentially her kid.

Still she persists, looking up facts and care sheet stuff and trying to persuade me.

So you found the other one after the great escape? Hurray!

Small torts are a commitment but they’re relatively low maintenance, I’d wait until kids are older (at least 10) tho. A tortoise table can be constructed fairly attractively and affordably. Just also don’t get anything bigger than a cherryhead.

I’m planning on getting a tort after I finish this Masters and move. I also got the two eastern painted turts that got kinda dumped on me last year tho. The ones I had to separate. :unsmith:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 13, 2018

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I also want a tortoise - or more accurately my husband insists we get one some day. We plan on digging an underground fenced in area into our yard and also making our 5x5' old school basement pantry into an indoor enclosure for winter and nights, etc. I think once the rest of our yard projects are completed, we will rescue an older animal.

I know my local herp society has rescue tortoises often. Owlbear, if you are worried about their long lives, consider fostering or adopting a rescue? I know that is the route we will eventually go.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So you found the other one after the great escape? Hurray!

Oh yeah sorry for the lack of update. The next morning she just crawls out from.under my excercise bike and looks up at me like "well are you gonna put me back in the terrarium and give me mealworms or what dude?"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have had leopard tortoises for....30 years now? Close to. We still have the breeding pair we got when I was a kid, and they were imported from loving Africa, so yeah. For indoor living, you can totally do a Russian tortoise (they stay small). For outside, and they will need a heated winter hut (or live inside depending on where you are) I always vote leopards for warmer states, and something like redfoots for cooler or more humid ones.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have had leopard tortoises for....30 years now? Close to. We still have the breeding pair we got when I was a kid, and they were imported from loving Africa, so yeah. For indoor living, you can totally do a Russian tortoise (they stay small). For outside, and they will need a heated winter hut (or live inside depending on where you are) I always vote leopards for warmer states, and something like redfoots for cooler or more humid ones.

For those who listen to podcasts, one of the recent eps of Judge John Hodgman has some dope tortoise action. It’s the Sept 5 ep, “Don’t Call the Next Witness”. Highly recommended 10/10.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
The tank I keep my axolotl in has had a cycle crash so now it's huge water changes in both the tank and his temporary box every day. Goddamn, little dude, so easy to look after the vast majority of the time but when things go wrong they seem to go really annoyingly wrong. I don't really want to keep him in the temporary tank for more than a few days but I'm also not cool with cycling the tank with him in. We are away for the weekend next weekend too. Frustrating.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Do you have a fish tank somewhere? Throw in some plants or sand or squeeze some filter goop into the tank.

I just rehomed one of my male axies. I have a reverse trio now, and need to move one more male so I don't come home to a regenerative bloodbath one day.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Nope, no fish tank or friends with one! It bloody sucks. Though, thinking about it, there might be a pet shop that has fish down the way. Might see if they'll give me something. I just worry about unknown things hurting Max.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey folks!

I'm in a funky mood - we had to put our dog down on Friday - and I've been reminiscing about pets past. So it's snake story time!

When I was in high school (in the early 90's), I got a ball python. I'm pretty sure I was not the best owner - I was a dumb kid - but he and I got along great, and I brought him everywhere with me in a dumb basket with padding. It wasn't really even secured; he was so chill it didn't matter. Parties, campouts, youth group, Burger King, everywhere. And he was a chill snake like they usually are, and was very forebearing with us.

Anyway, one summer I brought him to a friend's backyard party, and met up with my brother there. He'd ridden his bike, and his girlfriend dumped him at the party, so I had to haul my crying brother and his bike home. This was like April 1992, give or take. While he was despondent in the back seat, Monty (of course he was named Monty, I was a dumb kid) got out and simply disappeared. Since that was the back seat, and I had the trunk bungeed open, I was pretty sure he'd crawled out and ended up on the highway somewhere. We tore up the loving car, and couldn't find him, and I was just despondent. I was pretty sure we'd never see him again.

Anyway, cut to August. I headed off to Gen Con for the week with some friends, and when I got back, Monty was back in his cage. I was floored.

While I was gone, my dad enlisted his mechanic friend to drive my car to his place and get it all checked out. So they were driving down I-80 eastbound, my dad following his friend in my car.

About 20 minutes into the trip, my dad sees my car just swerving left and right in front of him like it's gone out of control. His buddy pulls it over, jumps out of the car and yells at my dad, "THERE'S A GODDAMN SNAKE IN THERE!"

I have no idea how he'd survived the summer, but sure enough, Monty was the picture of health up until I had to give him away when I headed off to college.

And that's the story of how I got my snake back.

---

And in more relevant news, my older son wants a ball python of his own, especially after losing our dog. I want him to be a better caretaker than I was back then, so want to make sure we've got the right stuff to keep a new snake happy. What's the best resource for these little dudes?

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

This is a pretty good care guide to start with.

Just don't buy a ball python from a pet store! Order from MorphMarket, look for a local breeder, or buy from a reptile show. Here is a list of upcoming reptile events.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Samila posted:

This is a pretty good care guide to start with.

Just don't buy a ball python from a pet store! Order from MorphMarket, look for a local breeder, or buy from a reptile show. Here is a list of upcoming reptile events.
Thanks! I remember there being a breeder up near Chicago; I'll see if they still happen to be around.

I appreciate it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

I can recommend Medusa's Morphs in the Chicago area. I have a lesser het clown from them and he's gorgeous. Arrived plump and healthy and eating like a champ. Medusa's lesser and clown lines are top notch.