Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

GotLag posted:

Isn't there some trick whereby you take off and turn off the electrical systems in the air to stop the meter running?
dead stick isn't as much fun as you'd think with a <15:1 glide at best glide speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My grandma remarried a retired police officer that had a small plane. I always thought he was way way too old to be flying but it took the authorities about a decade to finally take away his license, and it was only triggered when they took away his driver's license through his doctor.

But the fact that an old cop who could barely see or walk straight living in a trailer park could afford to share a plane between a few guys and fly regularly shows how accessible flying is in north america.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

evil_bunnY posted:

dead stick isn't as much fun as you'd think with a <15:1 glide at best glide speed.

The engine keeps running with the master electrical switch in the “off” position. Ignition is provided by two magnetos driven directly by the engine, unrelated to the main electrical system.

That’s why “shut off the electrics to cheat the meter” is a thing people have done. It’s unnecessarily dangerous but not suicidally so. Bring a handheld radio and GPSr.

If the meter keeps moving whenever the oil does, that trick doesn’t work.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 1, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah once you have a license you have it for life, assuming you can pass a third-class medical (basically "can you see and have you not had any heart attacks yet") and you don't do something to get it revoked. you have to do a biannual flight review, but that amounts to an hour of flying with an instructor and then they give you tips at the end -- it's not an actual exam.

plenty of extremely old pilots out there still flying with questionable abilities. q.v.: harrison ford

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Platystemon posted:

The engine keeps running with the master electrical switch in the “off” position. Ignition is provided by two magnetos driven directly by the engine, unrelated to the main electrical system.

That’s why “shut off the electrics to cheat the meter” is a thing people have done. It’s unnecessarily dangerous but not suicidally so. Bring a handheld radio and GPSr.

If the meter keeps running whenever the hydraulics do, that trick doesn’t work.

:smugbert:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
shut off the hydraulics, easy peasy

one weird trick!

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Most (probably almost all) small planes don't have hydraulic controls. I think the only thing it controls on a 172 is the brakes.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The more I read this thread, the more I'm impressed with the story of the Gimli Glider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ffryZAd4Nw

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LostCosmonaut posted:

Most (probably almost all) small planes don't have hydraulic controls. I think the only thing it controls on a 172 is the brakes.

You’re right. I misspoke.

The idea is to key the Hobbs meter off oil pressure.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm not saying the answer is air frame parachutes, but it is clearly air frame parachutes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Time to turn the plane back in to the rental place. *Pulls chute*

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

DiHK posted:

I'm not saying the answer is air frame parachutes, but it is clearly air frame parachutes.

Just make the plane out of what they make the black box out of!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Make the plane out of what they make helium balloons out of

Can't crash if you can't fall

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

DiHK posted:

I would like to propose an alternative: air frame 400 pound concrete block

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Bad Munki posted:

I would like to propose an alternative: air frame 400 pound concrete block

If concrete boats can float then concrete planes can fly.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DiHK posted:

If concrete boats can float then concrete planes can fly.

https://gizmodo.com/believe-it-or-not-this-concrete-rc-plane-actually-flies-499936638

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“Flight”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDTUebzJLRE

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

The BV-246 glide bomb had wings made from cast concrete around a steel spar. Hell if i know why, you'd think wood would work better for that. Maybe the concrete was just a lot quicker and cheaper to manufacture?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sam Hall posted:

Maybe the concrete was just a lot quicker and cheaper to manufacture?

I'd guess that's the case. A wooden wing back then would've still been mostly hand-crafted and would've taken a decent amount of time to make. Steel wings could be cast or stamped out in minutes, and coated in concrete almost as quickly. Depending on the weight of the bomb as well, wooden wings might not have been able to support the body.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'd guess that's the case. A wooden wing back then would've still been mostly hand-crafted and would've taken a decent amount of time to make. Steel wings could be cast or stamped out in minutes, and coated in concrete almost as quickly. Depending on the weight of the bomb as well, wooden wings might not have been able to support the body.

There is also the fact that concrete and steel shrapnel might do a bit more damage than wood. I mean it is a bomb after all.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

WWII was a time when everyone was trying to make stuff out of... Shall we say unconventional materials.

If the war had progressed differently, there might have been an aircraft carrier made of ice and wood pulp in the Royal Navy's fleet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/border-patrol-agent-pleads-guilty-starting-wildfire-fire-gender-reveal-n915441?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

Please exercise caution when using explosives to announce your baby's genitalia.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

You’re right. I misspoke.

The idea is to key the Hobbs meter off oil pressure.

My dad used to co-own a Cessna Hawk that one of the other pilots crashed after takeoff because the oil cooler poo poo itself and the engine seized due to no oil.

On the bright side the coop couldn't bill him for that 45 seconds of decent he had there after the oil escaped.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Superxiajun/status/1036578404081065985

Chinese demolition crew vs. Homeowner with rocket artillery

Turn on sound.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Turn on sound.

Dude loving owns

Shame he's probably already been murdervan'd

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/Superxiajun/status/1036578404081065985

Turn on sound.

its good to see the chinese importing FREEDOM :911:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Asmodai_00 posted:

its good to see the chinese importing FREEDOM :911:

Importing?

They invented rockets. :colbert:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What happened there? Looks like the rim is still intact.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

so THAT'S what happened to Three Phase.

(I miss them)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

What happened there? Looks like the rim is still intact.

don't order blowup dolls off deal extreme

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

so THAT'S what happened to Three Phase.

(I miss them)

Huh?

WHAT DID YOU JERKS DO TO THREE PHASE

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Three‐Phase asked a mod to be banned.

rap sheet

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sam Hall posted:

The BV-246 glide bomb had wings made from cast concrete around a steel spar. Hell if i know why, you'd think wood would work better for that. Maybe the concrete was just a lot quicker and cheaper to manufacture?

I find it funny that they were making wings out of concrete and aircraft carriers out of sawdust

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Platystemon posted:

Three‐Phase asked a mod to be banned.

rap sheet

Wow, he's gonna need a map to find his way back.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Wow, he's gonna need a map to find his way back.

Somebody post something about electricity and I am sure he will appear like Batman.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not exactly something to be proud about. It sounded too stupid to be a thing as the other poster pointed out it's stupid.

I cringe a fair bit at GA flying on GPS as it is not the safest thing to do as you tend to stare at normal instruments too much as it is which rightly should be beaten out of you.

There was a write off accident because of GPS as the student was too busy staring at it instead of using Eyeballs MK1 mod 0 to do any navigation or look outside to check the local conditions at the strip like the wind socks. He read of the GPS derived 1000ft wind which is normally 30 degrees off or more from the ground if not more in this case there was a sea breeze so both ends had a tail wind. Left the power on even after touch down, didn't adjust or go around despite the slope was going to place him in the middle of the grass strip which would leave zero margin on a normal landing. Didn't use the brakes effectively(Use force!), didn't recognise he wasn't slowing down.

I suspect he didn't even look at the plates(Check your plates every time!) iirc had a sea breeze warning. His former education system was based completely on rote which is worthless for the task.

Result-

He overran the strip into a sewage oxidation pond. I heard the acid ate into the skin weakening to an unknown degree putting it out of spec. He walked swam away from it physically unharmed. No information about the state of his shoes or colour of his pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

oohhboy posted:

He overran the strip into a sewage oxidation pond. I heard the acid ate into the skin weakening to an unknown degree putting it out of spec. He walked swam away from it physically unharmed. No information about the state of his shoes or colour of his pants.

He's lucky he made it out, then! The aeration ponds I've seen are too deep to stand in, and the bubbles make the density too low for swimming. On top of that, the process results in a good deal of heat. People occasionally fall in, and they get simultaneously cooked alive and drown in sewage.