Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

DoriDori240 posted:

Considering how broken the CP system is, racial choices matter very little, which I feel is unfortunate. I have healed the hardest content in the game on my Breton templar, and have done the same on my Dunmer and the difference is negligible. This has more to do with having an optimized group and how overtuned DPS in general, true, but it is what it is. On the DPS side, on the very highest min/max you are still looking at a tiny difference in damage between say "BIS" racials like Altmer or Dunmer magdps and say a Breton or Slaverace.

To add to and kinda contrast what Dori is talking about, I would say the biggest difference you'll find racially is your ability to sustain as a DPS (or as a tank with an Argonian - tanks love being Argonian because godDAMN that potion passive). There will be small differences in your overall DPS ceiling if you do milk your racials for all they're worth, but the real thunder comes from the fact that, for example, I have 150-ish more regen on my Altmer Magplar than I do on my Breton Magplar wearing the exact same gear. That may not sound like much but when you look at your overall regen vs depletion on a dummy parse or in a boss fight 150 is absolutely nothing to sneeze at and you'll drat well feel the difference in a long fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I feel the lovely sustain with my breton magsorc, but also gently caress altmer.

Also good healers pop orbs constantly, so I only really feel the pain doing dummy parses, and the slight sliver more survivability suits my playstyle more. eg stay out the red poo poo.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Yeah, race doesn't matter. I'm a great healer with my nord templar.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

JackBadass posted:

Yeah, race doesn't matter. I'm a great healer with my nord templar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuL6cJPz3Nk

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
When do we get this house, on the 8th?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Less Fat Luke posted:

When do we get this house, on the 8th?

(in case that just looks rude, it was meant to just be lazy of an answer)

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'm thinking of having my stamblade pull double duty as a tank - it's already fully leveled in heavy armor and sword and sheild. Is there any point do you think?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

(in case that just looks rude, it was meant to just be lazy of an answer)

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

Starshark posted:

I'm thinking of having my stamblade pull double duty as a tank - it's already fully leveled in heavy armor and sword and sheild. Is there any point do you think?

Nightblades can tank easily, just need to get used to their tanking skills. You will probably not do as well as a dk/warden/templar in vet trials, but I'd try anyways.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Lol stamblade tank is eating a fat nerf next patch thanks to the Evasion change.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
He'll still be able to tank most of the game, just probably not vet trials as I said.

Game is easily doable with whatever you want to try for the most part. Only the end-game vet trials (non-craglorn imo) require some sort of strategy/teamwork with ideal player setups.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Thanks all. None of my guilds really do vets all that often so I may as well go with it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i think the best way of putting it is race in the game matters but only at the point where you dropping 1000 crowns or whatever crap for the change or just rolling a whole other character is nothing

if you're doing leaderboard pve, or getting the absolute most out of pvp it'll matter

everything else do what you want

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Race matters, at the highest tier of play.

But at that point, you have a macro keyboard to perfectly weave for you and animation cancel and poo poo too.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Are there actually macros for rotations? Tbh even if I used one I'd not be able to compensate for my ping being 300-400 at all times.

I actually sent a support msg the other day asking if I could get my characters transferred to EU, or if they'd ever setup Asian/Oceanic servers :holy:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Aramek posted:

a macro keyboard to perfectly weave for you and animation cancel and poo poo too.

Where do I get one of these? Asking for a friend.

.....nevermind, I'd he'd still be awful.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Aramek posted:

But at that point, you have a macro keyboard to perfectly weave for you and animation cancel and poo poo too.

I mean even then, wasn't one of the best players in the entire game a Khajiit playing uuuuh, poo poo what was he, something completely unfitting and I'm drawing a blank on the guy's name, help.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Aramek posted:

You are probably being tongue in cheek, but vet trials and maybe even some of the harder vet dungeons, it's not really possible to macro, things are too dynamic. Nothing would be more frustrating and kill you quicker than being stuck in some rotation macro when you need to do something different that wasn't programmed into the macro, like cast a shield, dodge roll, or block or whatever else you may need to do in a moments notice. Plus at the highest end, rotations themselves are dynamic, and you are re-casting your dots on cooldown which would be really difficult if not straight up impossible to macro because the timings will vary. That's not even including things like the poor server performance and overall game performance that likes to not accept barswaps or abilities going off at all, macro'd or not.

It's also against the ToS and while ZOS doesn't seem to be particularly ban happy, I don't think most high-end players would be willing to risk an account suspension or ban to do something that wouldn't really have any benefit over just practicing their rotation.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Sorry, still laughing at the dude rolling up in here using "casuals" as an epithet, seriously or not-seriously (but still totally seriously). Friend, this is not the game for that kind of mindset. This is a game for rambling around Tamriel having fun adventures and making friends with skeleton people; perfecting your sick outfit and making an awesome house are totally valid ways to spend your time. You can have fun playing this game however you want, but if you think racial bonuses are badly implemented, then maybe you didn't grok the philosophy of Elder Scrolls, which is all about being open-ended and not necessarily having one best path. This is a chill game where you can make awesome characters and not be "wrong" about how you build them, and I say that as a decade+ veteran of Warcraft--it's not lazy design, it's a deliberate set of decisions that make an entirely different tone for this MMO than for others. There are a lot of joys to be had in this game that have nothing whatsoever to do with min/maxing or endgame grinds, which is why (anecdotally) I've had a great time here. (Warcraft just wore me down every time I hit max level--there is very much more than one way to play an MMO!) (which is to say this game is relaxing and fun for me in a way Warcraft never was once I hit max level and the pressure to MAKE THE GEAR LEVEL GO UP AND UP AND UP, PERFORM THE ROTATION PERFECTLY hit, gently caress that poo poo, not everyone finds that fun)

"Casuals" jfc

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 30, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

My next gimmick build—Bow Templar. :toot:

Edit: To clarify for anyone who doesn't get what I've done here—Templar is the only class in the game that lacks a class skill which grants Major Brutality, meaning stam Templar would normally be required to run 2-Handed (for Momentum) or Dual Wield (for Hidden Blade) in order to get the buff. Dreugh King Slayer, despite appearances, is a heavy set, meaning the only way to use it while running all medium armor is to have the weapon and three jewelry pieces. Even so, the jewelry only comes in Healthy, so I'll have to retrait it all eventually.

One of the perks of stam Templar is that its main spammable (Biting Jabs) grants Major Savagery, meaning unlike other stam classes it doesn't need to slot Expert Hunter. So compared to most other stam builds, I've freed up two bar slots that would normally be occupied by skills that are only there for the buffs they grant, and I never have to melee.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 30, 2018

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

atomicgeek posted:

Sorry, still laughing at the dude rolling up in here using "casuals" as an epithet, seriously or not-seriously (but still totally seriously). Friend, this is not the game for that kind of mindset. This is a game for rambling around Tamriel having fun adventures and making friends with skeleton people; perfecting your sick outfit and making an awesome house are totally valid ways to spend your time. You can have fun playing this game however you want, but if you think racial bonuses are badly implemented, then maybe you didn't grok the philosophy of Elder Scrolls, which is all about being open-ended and not necessarily having one best path. This is a chill game where you can make awesome characters and not be "wrong" about how you build them, and I say that as a decade+ veteran of Warcraft--it's not lazy design, it's a deliberate set of decisions that make an entirely different tone for this MMO than for others. There are a lot of joys to be had in this game that have nothing whatsoever to do with min/maxing or endgame grinds, which is why (anecdotally) I've had a great time here. (Warcraft just wore me down every time I hit max level--there is very much more than one way to play an MMO!) (which is to say this game is relaxing and fun for me in a way Warcraft never was once I hit max level and the pressure to MAKE THE GEAR LEVEL GO UP AND UP AND UP, PERFORM THE ROTATION PERFECTLY hit, gently caress that poo poo, not everyone finds that fun)

"Casuals" jfc

If that were the case there wouldn't be achievements such as Immortal Redeemer, Tick-Tock Tormentor, or Gryphon Heart, which basically require people to grognard their way into the most efficient builds possible.
I mean, praise the game for catering to the average gamer who just wants to play pretty princess barbie/pretty princess barbie house/ERP simulator 2018, but don't disparage the hard fact that there is an actual endgame, even if it gets boring after a while (you can only push scores in trials so much before you get sick of it) because of ZOS' inability to implement any meaningful endgame content beyond their new approach of "let's make everything a mini-trial even though it's a boring gimmick after the first 3 times."

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Scyantific posted:

If that were the case there wouldn't be achievements such as Immortal Redeemer, Tick-Tock Tormentor, or Gryphon Heart, which basically require people to grognard their way into the most efficient builds possible.
I mean, praise the game for catering to the average gamer who just wants to play pretty princess barbie/pretty princess barbie house/ERP simulator 2018, but don't disparage the hard fact that there is an actual endgame, even if it gets boring after a while (you can only push scores in trials so much before you get sick of it) because of ZOS' inability to implement any meaningful endgame content beyond their new approach of "let's make everything a mini-trial even though it's a boring gimmick after the first 3 times."

I'm not disagreeing with you exactly? But I'd say endgame isn't the sole focus of this game the way it is in other MMOs? This is the first time I've played an MMO and didn't feel pressured to race to max level to get to the "real" game, because there's so much game sub-max that exists, to play, for other reasons, like having fun with lore or story or completing achievements or whatever. I'm not saying endgame doesn't exist, or that people who want to play that are wrong, but...there's a lot of other content in this game compared to other MMOs i've played that always kind of chuted you to the max level content without spending as much time making sure you had poo poo to do on the way up. And to me, focusing on the endgame as if it were the sole reason to play the game is, well, kinda a relic of older MMOs where that was really genuinely the thing. Again, if that's what you want from a game, that's what you want, that's cool, I'm just very stoked that ESO has a lot of other stuff in it, and "casual" is still something that makes me roll my eyes out my skull. I love gaming, but I'm not 20 anymore, and the notion that kinda dropping into a game here and there sometimes when life gets hectic is something shameful rubs me wrong.

(oh god did I just argue with Scy) (sorry dude, i seriously respect the hell outta your expertise on ESO, i just think there are conflicting philosophies on what makes a game fun and worthwhile and nobody's wrong)

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 30, 2018

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

Could I please get an invite? @sshrews2

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
If the EU guild is still alive: add me! @Granbar

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Rollersnake posted:

My next gimmick build—Bow Templar. :toot:

Edit: To clarify for anyone who doesn't get what I've done here—Templar is the only class in the game that lacks a class skill which grants Major Brutality, meaning stam Templar would normally be required to run 2-Handed (for Momentum) or Dual Wield (for Hidden Blade) in order to get the buff. Dreugh King Slayer, despite appearances, is a heavy set, meaning the only way to use it while running all medium armor is to have the weapon and three jewelry pieces. Even so, the jewelry only comes in Healthy, so I'll have to retrait it all eventually.

One of the perks of stam Templar is that its main spammable (Biting Jabs) grants Major Savagery, meaning unlike other stam classes it doesn't need to slot Expert Hunter. So compared to most other stam builds, I've freed up two bar slots that would normally be occupied by skills that are only there for the buffs they grant, and I never have to melee.

Been brainstorming this build a bit more while at work and am looking for feedback. One way in which this is clearly inferior to bow warden is that I still have to be close-ish to use Biting Jabs where Warden can do everything at long range. Also Expert Hunter isn't useful just for Major Savagery, but because every Fighters Guild skill grants an additional 3% weapon damage from the Slayer passive, which I'd forgotten about. So here are the two possible setups I'm considering:

Front bar: Poison Injection, Power of the Light, Endless Hail, Lightweight Beast Trap, Evil Hunter, Ultimate - Flawless Dawnbreaker
Back bar: Blinding Javelin, Bombard, Razor Caltrops, Resolving Vigor, Repentance, Ultimate - Ballista

Three Fighters Guild skills on the front bar would maximize benefit from Slayer. No Aedric Spear abilities on the front bar means I miss out on some passives, but it might be worth the tradeoff. If Slayer weren't an issue, I'd rather use Channeled Acceleration over either morph of trap because I find it less finicky to use, but at least if I went with Lightweight Beast Trap over Rearming, I'd still be able to do everything at long range. But I really wouldn't be benefiting much from Repentance's passives by only having it on my back bar, and is Poison Injection even supposed to be used as a spammable?

Edit: Really no good reason to not switch Endless Hail and Blinding Javelin here, except that I'm used to only having area target skills on the left shoulder button.

Front bar: Biting Jabs, Poison Injection, Power of the Light, Endless Hail, Repentance, Ultimate - Flawless Dawnbreaker
Back bar: Razor Caltrops, Channeled Acceleration, Radiant Ward, Resolving Vigor, Repentance, Ultimate - Crescent Sweep

Offensive bar/defensive bar rotations are what make the most sense to my idiot brain, and honestly I don't have my heart set on being exclusively long range. With the addition of a damage shield skill, this seems like it would play a bit similarly to my magicka DK, which I think I'd like. I'm less happy about losing Blinding Javelin, because stuns are good and it might be Templar's most fun skill, but I'd swap it in in place of Ward or Vigor depending upon the situation. Also I left myself almost no reason to do bow on both bars like I'd planned to, lol.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 30, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I am literally the noobiest noob that you can find, but its my understanding you always want Scorch/Sub Assault as a warden for that Major Fracture. I've been wondering if you can replace that effect with some kind of armor set bonus or if I should just get used to using it. I really don't like the delay.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
If you're in a group, your tank should be inflicting Major Fracture with Pierce Armor, so in that case it might be redundant. Unless I'm missing something, there's no equipment that provides it, though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Could have sworn I saw an armor set with Major Fracture on it, that's what gave me the idea to replace it. I appear to be hallucinating though, so ignore me.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
No, you were right, they changed Night Mother's Gaze so that it inflicts Major Fracture now, and it hasn't been updated on the wiki yet.

There's also the Sunderflame set, which makes your heavy attacks reduce the enemy's physical resistance without actually being one of the Fracture debuffs, but I don't know if you heavy attack enough as a stam warden for that to be worthwhile.

Edit: Oh, they nerfed Sunderflame too and haven't updated it on the wiki either. It now inflicts Minor Fracture, which at least isn't redundant with a sword & shield tank?

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 30, 2018

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Sub Assault is pretty much a defining skill of Wardens, and a huge source of your (especially AoE) damage. I think you're much better off getting used to the delay if you can, tbh.

NMG only applies on a crit, and I think Sunderflame applies a Minor Fracture, now?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Alchemy and Provisioning are real easy to max through casual play.

Blacksmithing / woodworking / clothing have kept up just by deconning everything as I went along (almost at CP 160, and 2 of them just recently hit 50, last one is almost there).

Enchanting is like..29. I've done all discovery I can, and I decon ones I'm not using. Reading online, it seems the best way is to have someone feed you runes to decon. Anyone able / willing to help? I will obviously give you whatever runes I've collected, but I'm sure I won't have enough to make it all the way. Especially since I won't have the higher level ones. Not sure how much I'm asking for here - like if the runes I'd need to get to 50 are super expensive or not, or if it's typical for some people to be sitting on hundreds or thousands and it's not a big deal.

Last is Jewelcrafting. It's going at a snails pace too, and that's with saving everything to decon. It's like 18 I think? What's a good way to get crap to decon? Join Dolmen groups?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Snowy posted:

Do they run a trading guild? It may be the one I was talking about.
I think she is the co-GM of Spicy Economics with her boyfriend. They've consistently held down a trader in Mournhold, the most competitive trading spot in the game.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Maybe this is old news since I haven't played in awhile, but I'll post this anyway in case someone else is having the same issue.

When I logged in today for the first time in a few months my fps tanked into the teens no matter where I was. Restarting/ relogging would help for a bit, but framerate would fall back down. CPU usage itself was low.

The issue was with the MaxCoresToUse setting in UserSetting.txt. It was set to "-1" and changing that to "4" (since I have a quad-core CPU) resolved all fps problems and ESO is running smoothly again for me.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

That's funny, I don't hear you laughing when I keep your rear end from dying.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Mizuti posted:

Mournhold, the most competitive trading spot in the game.

...still? Mournhold is always a ghost town when I go there. I've made old school Mournhold money out of Vivec nowadays.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Wait a sec, I just have summerset through eso+. I still have to actually buy it to get the free goodies don’t I?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Snowy posted:

Wait a sec, I just have summerset through eso+. I still have to actually buy it to get the free goodies don’t I?

ESO+ doesn't give you summerset. ESO+ only give DLCs - not chapters.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Right, ESO+ gives you everything in game EXCEPT the Chapters, Morrowind (i.e. Vvardenfell) and Summerset. Everything else is yours so long as you remain subbed to ESO+.

It is worth mentioning that, at least assuming you've been subbed from the game going B2P and the introduction of Crowns, its almost more economical to be subbed. You get about as many Crowns as you do buying them for real money and can turn them around into buying the DLCs so if you unsub you keep access to them.

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w

JackBadass posted:

...still? Mournhold is always a ghost town when I go there. I've made old school Mournhold money out of Vivec nowadays.

Are we talking about the same mournhold? Because it's always crowded as gently caress around the shrine...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Oh duh I guess I did buy it, my bad :downs: