Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Are you not drifting or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Hold down dash, hit every jump and dash thingy, don’t hit walls.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Make sure to Mario kart boost at the start too

For the hardest stuff you really have to corner very well.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

These horses drive like boats lol

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So you're not drifting

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Here's my level 70 hard difficulty final trial of harma strategy. I had read you needed at least 80 min if not 99 but that seemed fishy to me.

Rab - Jade
Sylv - Erik (full dw + boomerangs)
8 (axe+shield) - Hero (dw with gigagash)
Serena (wand+shield) - Veronica (staff)

Make sure to get have some sleep immunity accessories on 8 and Hero. 8/Hero/Serena/Veronica should be pepped. Have 2 elfin elixirs on Serena and 1 on Veronica just in case maybe. I also equipped a sov seal/dragons scale on Serena/Veronica and maybe life bracelet s to reduce chances of wiping to damage.

Round 1: Rab must go first - use your meteorite armband. Kamikaze. Flee and reset if it misses anyone. Mop up with Jade. 2 turn max.

Round 2: Divide and oomphle with first turn. Double down. Repeat divide+double down after the rez dance. Throw gold with any remainder turns if boomerang misses. You should end with a sum total of 9 turns reported.

Round 3: Have 8 use desperate measures to reduce chances of wiping to any desperate attacks from the mimic. Hero should use blaze of glory. For the rest just have 8 spam parallax on the minic and the hero spam gigagash. Gigagash should kill all the trash before they take a move or resummon. If not then you need a better sword like the supreme sword of light. When she stops summoning use quadraslash (the giant sword aoe) to finish. Should end with a sum total of 20 turns reported.

Round 4: Pray - you need some luck on the attack patterns here. Veronica should magic burst. Serena should refill her MP with an elixir. Magic burst again. Refill her MP one last time and then do the pep magic burst combo. This one is pretty yolo cause it's easy to die if they spellcast too often or do the body drop. You can likely afford to have Serena omniheal and Veronica replenish herself once on the first turn before reinforcements are summoned but it's dicey later.

If anything fails here you probably need more gear or more luck. This strat should be pretty foolproof if you level much harder than I did.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 2, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Can anyone tell me where Multifeet or whatever it's called is on Jade's skill panels?

Also, where can I get a second Falcon Blade?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Some Numbers posted:

Can anyone tell me where Multifeet or whatever it's called is on Jade's skill panels?

I think it’s in the middle of her fisticuffs tree, a hidden panel surrounded mostly by passives

You get a falcon blade from mini medals and another one by opening a chest behind a magic key door on the island directly above the Strand

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Someone convince me to restart DQ7

I got to the job shrine place after a lot of on-off play and then my data somehow got lost. I got demoralized and never touched it again because it's just so absurdly long.
Say nice things or bad things to encourage/dissuade me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I still can't make up my mind on what weapons to use for Sylvando and Serena, and I guess I got 2 characters to go soon and one in the distance. Oh boy oh boy...

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

you will unlock more of her skill tree later in the game. It will then be a locked tile on the right top side of her tree, immediately above Fisticuffs (actually part of fistcuffs tree which simply expands)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ROFL Octopus posted:

I think it’s in the middle of her fisticuffs tree, a hidden panel surrounded mostly by passives

You get a falcon blade from mini medals and another one by opening a chest behind a magic key door on the island directly above the Strand

Thanks, both of these pieces of info were super helpful.

Now I just need to figure out what my party comp should be!

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
"Rab says a prayer to the heavens and opens those pearly gates!" somehow sounds dirtier than the actual double entendres in this game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Randallteal posted:

"Rab says a prayer to the heavens and opens those pearly gates!" somehow sounds dirtier than the actual double entendres in this game.

It gets less so after he uses it for the 500th time in a row on "mix it up" setting.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Actually, if I just got access to the ship, how far am I from meeting/recruiting Jade and Rab? Wondering whenabouts it's gently caress-off-and-explore time.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Ciaphas posted:

Actually, if I just got access to the ship, how far am I from meeting/recruiting Jade and Rab? Wondering whenabouts it's gently caress-off-and-explore time.

They appear in the next story town and are recruitable right after that vignette.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

good day for a bris posted:

They appear in the next story town and are recruitable right after that vignette.

Thanks much :cheers:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Ciaphas posted:

you meet them at the next town if you follow the plot but you don’t recruit them until the arc is over

e: i am slow :arghfist::(

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just got to Act 2: How To Be A Gay Ally

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ciaphas posted:

I still can't make up my mind on what weapons to use for Sylvando and Serena, and I guess I got 2 characters to go soon and one in the distance. Oh boy oh boy...

Sylv is basically go lithe/showmanship. Hustle dance in particular is very good.

Serena is good with a spear up until you get the rest of the cast. Kind of hard to justify her with a spear after that though but I'm sure you could.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Calaveron posted:

I mean, it’s probably his last sine he’s 87 and like five years at least pass between games

But the day Toriyama or Horii leave us will suck

Didn’t Horii say this would be his last?

Expect My Mom posted:

finally back to this game god the lonalulu story was so good, such a short but sweet story Is it actually possible to lie to Michelle?

also lmfao at the discussion of this game being too easy and Not Dragon Quest when this series is made for every single person in Japan above the age of ten to beat them

I mean, I won’t claim DQ is hard like some of the more hardcore jrpgs I play, but it’s definitely designed in a way where people of different play styles can get lots of mileage out of it. It’s deliberately designed so there’s no real penalty to death for instance besides time and gold loss. So they are designed so that they can be easier through sheer struggle or grinding. But it’s also a series where you’ll have 4000 gold in your pocket and most of the best poo poo costs 1000-2000 gold and you have to make sacrifices and choices. DQ strikes a wonderful balance where it can be easy or just right depending on how you want to play it. I thought it had lots of respect for the player and it’s one of many reasons I love the series so much. So I found the hand holding and easy early sections really off putting. I reacted negatively because, honestly, I’m a jaded old person now and for me DQ is like going home after a long day of work. I know what to expect and that’s why I like it. Especially in terrible times like now where people accused of serial sexual abuse can be considered viable for the highest court in the land. So yeah. Hyperbolic and negative reaction? Yeah. But for me it’s like comfort food. When I want a Coke I want Coke, not New Coke.

I watched footage of the 3ds version and I wager I would have preferred that version greatly. It sucks it didn’t come out here but it looks like I’ll have to import it.

So is DQ a hardcore, hard rpg series? I wouldn’t say so. But is it easy? I don’t think that either. Because it’s made for people over ten to beat doesn’t mean anything, really. Then again, any time I check a DQ guide for mini medlals or whatever I find myself ten or more levels lower than the recommended levels, so maybe my experience is just different in how I play the series. Someone I know grinds any time he can’t afford equipment. Meanwhile if I can’t afford anything in a town, I’m going to get the cheapest stuff or skip out on buying anything and save it all for the next one. DQ is great about poo poo like that.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 2, 2018

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Played around with some skills and I noticed a cool detail: If Erik is using swords, he’ll attack iaijutsu style— drawing and sheathing quickly. I thought that was neat.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The hard mode is prob one of the most balanced turn based RPGs I've ever played. Probably the only one in recent memory actually.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Expect My Mom posted:

oh gently caress whaaat

someone please spoil this for me

We still need this spoiled please and thank you

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

No way man, the easiest is 7 because it also has a job system but has even MORE broken stuff for you to get with it.

the 3ds remake fixes this by not having skills carry over between jobs(but in return advanced jobs learn a ton more skills, you also keep the stat boosts from mastery)

you can still become absurdly strong in that game though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 2, 2018

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Mermaid story spoilers:

Choice 1: Tell the truth. She insists on seeing his grave, and is so profoundly struck by seeing it that she willingly dies. The Strand then becomes silent and empty. Part 3 spoiler: If you return to the Strand and save Kai there, Shelly will be back and both will talk vaguely about a vision of her dying. No explanation is given for how she's back. :shrug: In the short term, you do control her fate.

Choice 2: Lie. You need to confirm twice that you're going to lie to her. You give the veil to her and feed her some excuses, and she swallows it hook, bait, and sinker. She gleefully awaits her love's arrival, and your party backs off into the mists, clearly feeling guilty about what they've done. Shelly stays happily at The Strand and doesn't seem to react to the transition to Part 2. If you go back and talk to Kai, he seems to be rattled by the whole thing and starts obsessing over her. Looks like the shack at the graveyard stays locked forever. Haven't gotten to Part 3 to see how this ends, but I'm guessing this is the "canon" choice.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Mizuti posted:

Mermaid story spoilers:

Choice 1: Tell the truth. She insists on seeing his grave, and is so profoundly struck by seeing it that she willingly dies. The Strand then becomes silent and empty. Part 3 spoiler: If you return to the Strand and save Kai there, Shelly will be back and both will talk vaguely about a vision of her dying. No explanation is given for how she's back. :shrug: In the short term, you do control her fate.

Yeah, I just got to this point in Act 3 and it's weird. It's like the writers thought it actually happened spread between Acts 1 and 2 instead of all in 1. Maybe it's a translation issue or something that makes sense if you know Japanese folklore?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

HPanda posted:

Yeah, I just got to this point in Act 3 and it's weird. It's like the writers thought it actually happened spread between Acts 1 and 2 instead of all in 1. Maybe it's a translation issue or something that makes sense if you know Japanese folklore?

mermaids are more-or-less synonymous with tragedy in most folklore

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

DQ7 - I’m at the other town where people got turned to stone and the Carraway guy refuses to grow a pair, how much farther untill I get the job system?

Not really sure if I’m liking it, the stories themselves are fun but there’s way too much where the game doesn’t tell me what it wants me to do to progress a given scene. Wanna stick with it at least till I unlock jobs though...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I wanna say you have one more island that’s fairly story-heavy and plot relevant, then the vocation island to clear.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
How do people respec Serena in Act 2? I feel like healing is already covered by everyone else, so all in on magical might?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

How do people respec Serena in Act 2? I feel like healing is already covered by everyone else, so all in on magical might?

I broke into Vim and Wands so I could unlock the hidden panel between the two -- the one that lets her sometimes doublecast spells. Otherwise I leaned into MMight.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

Gigagash scales off magical might I think

STR

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think the biggest hurdle of me getting back into 7 is that all these characters are unlikable assholes. I don't remember if they improve or if I got that far as I had just got to the job system but I find myself blanking out a lot because Kiefer and Maribel are just complete rancid vermin and I want them to stop talking to me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Kiefer does eventually grow but I can't remember how long it takes

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

theblackw0lf posted:

Ooomphle doesn't affect the AoE's though right? I've been using Gigagash, and I don't think Ooomphle has an affect.
Spell like abilities, even if they scale with strength, can't be oomph'd. That applies to even single target and it makes a one particular ability a little lackluster than it ever needed to be.

What can be oomph'd is the offhand sword attack that will boost AoE damage a little bit, and that can be handy in some situations.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Everything you'll probably end up using is from her base kit anyway. There's one ability that I feel like is a no brainer to pick up echos but the rest is whatever.

Man I just never got much mileage out of harps come to think of it. If there was a dark harp it would've been so much better.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 2, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

corn in the bible posted:

Kiefer does eventually grow but I can't remember how long it takes

Even when he does grow he's still an absolute dick

All DQ7 players know what I'm talking about

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Avalerion posted:

DQ7 - I’m at the other town where people got turned to stone and the Carraway guy refuses to grow a pair, how much farther untill I get the job system?

Not really sure if I’m liking it, the stories themselves are fun but there’s way too much where the game doesn’t tell me what it wants me to do to progress a given scene. Wanna stick with it at least till I unlock jobs though...

stick with it, you're getting pretty close iirc

and once you reach alltrades abbey they offer you vocations right away too so you don't have to do any stupid sidequests or anything to unlock it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Keifer and Maribel own imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do you ever get high enough in levels that you can max out all skills