Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

nerdz posted:

yellow Bolsonaro balloon

So, Bolsonaro is Brazilian Macri then? Why is it always yellow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So that was a shitload of people anti-Bolsonaro here in São Paulo just now lmao

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Dias posted:

The pro-Bolsonaro manifestations always happen close to malls in the posh part of town, I heard people heading towards Parco here in Porto Alegre.

Every evening around rush hour they're on that walkway over Av Goethe.
I'd like to see them having the balls to do their ruckus on Vila Cruzeiro's main avenue.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

So, Bolsonaro is Brazilian Macri then? Why is it always yellow?

More like Brazilian Duterte with a healthy dose of Trump.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Negrostrike posted:

Every evening around rush hour they're on that walkway over Av Goethe.
I'd like to see them having the balls to do their ruckus on Vila Cruzeiro's main avenue.

As if, they go to Moinhos because they know they can't do poo poo anywhere else.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sephyr posted:

More like Brazilian Duterte with a healthy dose of Trump.

Exactly

I guess Doria would be Macri

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Exactly

I guess Doria would be Macri

That's very accurate. Though even Macri is not such an overtly fake, plastic empty suit. He at least finished a term, for what it was worth, before asking his drones to boost him higher so he could -really- clear out the commies this time. Doria is like a 4-year-old who gets bored easily and -needs- you to get him his next new toy.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Sephyr posted:

That's very accurate. Though even Macri is not such an overtly fake, plastic empty suit. He at least finished a term, for what it was worth, before asking his drones to boost him higher so he could -really- clear out the commies this time. Doria is like a 4-year-old who gets bored easily and -needs- you to get him his next new toy.

Was Macri supposed to clear out the commies ? can't believe they've bungled that as well

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Was Macri supposed to clear out the commies ? can't believe they've bungled that as well

I haven't followed up on local politics as much as I should, med school eating me alive and such. But it seems that chasing the Kirchners and their supporters became a weird snipe hunt of trying to get the vilest judges they can find to arrest them for bizarre poo poo like connections with Iran terror cells rather than the meat-and-potatoes kickbacks that every politician does and this can explode back upon your allies.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Sephyr posted:

I haven't followed up on local politics as much as I should, med school eating me alive and such. But it seems that chasing the Kirchners and their supporters became a weird snipe hunt of trying to get the vilest judges they can find to arrest them for bizarre poo poo like connections with Iran terror cells rather than the meat-and-potatoes kickbacks that every politician does and this can explode back upon your allies.

I feel like all of that bizarre stuff has been dropped quite a bit, the whole Nisman saga has seemingly disappeared entirely idk if they have nothing or if they're saving it for closer to the election. They're going after the notebooks and such now (but not any actual structural issues related to corruption). I don't really ascribe any more malicious intent than what the Kirchnerists were doing when they got to play around with judges.

~ Peronismo de buenos modales ~

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I feel like all of that bizarre stuff has been dropped quite a bit, the whole Nisman saga has seemingly disappeared entirely idk if they have nothing or if they're saving it for closer to the election. They're going after the notebooks and such now (but not any actual structural issues related to corruption). I don't really ascribe any more malicious intent than what the Kirchnerists were doing when they got to play around with judges.

~ Peronismo de buenos modales ~

I thought I read a few weeks ago that they found inconsistencies in Largomasino's statements regarding some messages between him and Nisman and he was beginning to be in deeper trouble.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sephyr posted:

Thats what I expect to happen if the disgusting captain wins: he will persecute PT and the whole left in any way he can. Only is probably gonna be worst, wider, and more violent than what Macri did

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thats what I expect to happen if the disgusting captain wins: he will persecute PT and the whole left in any way he can. Only is probably gonna be worst, wider, and more violent than what Macri did

To be fair, that is happening either way. If he loses, outraged supporters are definitely going to explode in some way, and those with even a modicum of power will just go hog-wild on anything the consider 'progressive'.

If he wins, persecuting the minorities and 'commies' will not be an unspoke rule but one decreed loudly from the rooftops, to only the mild disapproval of "Well, this is certainly not orthodox or polite, harrumph" big press editorials.

Hell, the loon owner of Havan stores has literally released a video about how he is polling his employees and basically forcing them to vote for Bolsonazi. Publicly.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sephyr posted:

To be fair, that is happening either way. If he loses, outraged supporters are definitely going to explode in some way, and those with even a modicum of power will just go hog-wild on anything the consider 'progressive'.

If he wins, persecuting the minorities and 'commies' will not be an unspoke rule but one decreed loudly from the rooftops, to only the mild disapproval of "Well, this is certainly not orthodox or polite, harrumph" big press editorials.

Hell, the loon owner of Havan stores has literally released a video about how he is polling his employees and basically forcing them to vote for Bolsonazi. Publicly.

I agree. Thats why we have to vote to try to prevent his victory, and be prepared to what will come with his defeat

2019 is gonna be an ugly, dangerous year

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hah, the people here are far more gormless and cowardly than in any other country. There will be grumbling on facebook and maybe some minor clashes or unrest but if we didn't had an actual civil war the last century why should we now?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I believe some people will feel entitled to abuse minorities, LGBTQ people and whatever verbally and physically in public though, should Bolsonaro wins. Not an all out pogrom, obviously, but kinda like what's been happening in the US since Trump's election.

If he loses, waaah and boohoos all around the social networks.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

We already have a shitload of cases of gay and transexual lynching and the racism has been increasing the last decade, you actually think it can get any worse?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Plutonis posted:

We already have a shitload of cases of gay and transexual lynching and the racism has been increasing the last decade, you actually think it can get any worse?

You think it can't?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Plutonis posted:

Oh, you bet, my friend.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Plutonis posted:

Hah, the people here are far more gormless and cowardly than in any other country. There will be grumbling on facebook and maybe some minor clashes or unrest but if we didn't had an actual civil war the last century why should we now?

I do hope so. But we did had a long, cruel military dictatorship

And so many people are screaming for another one so loud and so repeatedly, that the military might end up doing something about it

edit: and if the Boçal loses to PT, you can bet we are at least gonna have another round of huge anti-PT protests, and lots of unrest. And then all the military needs to do, if they feel like it, is to come forward saying order needs to be restored etc. It happened before, and the climate is just right to happen again

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 1, 2018

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Because we never had a candidate openly justify and encourage violence (to general applause of the learned 'elite')? Because there is no longer a fig leaf of "we're not enemies, we just disagree on policy!" on the side of money/power? Because the institutions have never been so thoroughly discredited in at least 80 years, and were never that robust to begin with? Because evangelical presencei n politics has never been this massive or organized, literally painting the opositionas demonic and sinful, and it's only going to get stronger?

Brazilians are indeed gormeless and lazy when it comes to punching up, but are -notoriously- happy to kick weaker/acceptable targets.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If you were unsure about just how far they will go to prevent PT from getting to power:
- Last friday the supreme court blocked an interview with Lula because they said that this close to the election it may influence the results
- Today Moro released the transcripts of the questioning of Palloci done months ago, who in exchange for a deal for leniency made a bunch of accusations against PT.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Moro is playing a dangerous game, he has far more to lose in a Bolsonaro presidency surely. Is he trying to get Ciro to the second round?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What would Moro have to lose if Bolsonaro won?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Bolsonaro wins overwhelmingly in the white, male, upper-class, highly educated demo. Now look at Moro. That's all I'm gonna say.

If you kiss enough rear end you're safe.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Because surely the judiciary would make a ripe scapegoat when it becomes apparent that Mito can't really deliver anything he promises.

Dias posted:

If you kiss enough rear end you're safe.
But probably this.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
So there was a cosplay thing here on the #elenao act this saturday, I'm conflicted. On one hand it's cosplay, and cosplay's loving stupid. But, the theme seems appropriate given context.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hoiyes posted:

Because surely the judiciary would make a ripe scapegoat when it becomes apparent that Mito can't really deliver anything he promises.

But probably this.

Moro isn't a justice. He's just a federal judge, first instance. That's the kinda dude that won't get scapegoated and might see an opportunity to ascend to the Supreme Court eventually by kissing enough rear end.

edit: also the cosplay is good, and cosplay is okay, we have a state holiday for cosplaying even!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm not sure if it's cosplay necessarily, that iconography has been jacked from the show as a protest symbol by quite a few people in the states

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Scaramouche posted:

I'm not sure if it's cosplay necessarily, that iconography has been jacked from the show as a protest symbol by quite a few people in the states

What's the show?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hoiyes posted:

But probably this.

I have zero doubt Bolsonaro could just keep blaming the PT and the media would go for it

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What's the show?

The Handmaid’s Tale.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

bagual posted:

So, Ciro Gomes X Haddad, pros and cons

Ciro

Pros:
-Nationalist
-Brizola's ghost approves
-Will fund universities and industry

Cons:
-Evil conservative woman vice
-Actually right-wing
-Don't care about the enviroment

Haddad

Pros:
-Is cool and good
-Will reform transport
-Cool communist woman vice

Cons:
-No real working class origin
-Lula is in jail
-Will get immediately couped

Discuss

A bit late but while Ciro is a completely untrustworthy snake that has no real principles other than personal ambition, he IS a very good administrator and statesman and him and his brother were the best governors that my state had.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Sometimes I feel these smaller but relevant (Ciro, Marina, Meirelles, arguably Alvaro Dias and Amoedo) candidates are like candidates for minister, sharing the same malleable nature somewhat, except for Alckmin, who is still in denial over the fact PSDB is never getting the presidency again, and the tiny tiny ant candidates, which is everybody else

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It is pretty hilarious that at the end of the day PSDB's support wasn't "competent and sober governance with free-market characteristics" as they and their followers in previous elections claimed to be, but rather being the protagonists of "anti-left" sentiment.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
It's been an open secret for more than adecade now, though. After bunglers like Serra dumping the city and state state of São Paulo TWICE, then Doria breaking a vow he signed on paper to finish his term and taking a dump on PSDB's voters after his crappy year in power.

People from my state (SP) loved to think of the northeast as a corral of ignorant people voting as they were told, but it's been a bit of a balm to my soul to see how obvious it became that they would vote for any loon that claimed to be anti-PT enough, even if their lives became -materially- worse.

São Paulo is the brazilian Kansas, except in Kansas politicians at least stay around after they gently caress you. In SP they wipe their dicks on your curtain and ditch you for higher office before even lighting up a cigarette.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Does this make Curitiba the reverse Minnesota?

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Fujimori is going back to jail, sometimes Latin America can have nice things happen twice despite itself.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

zocio posted:

Fujimori is going back to jail, sometimes Latin America can have nice things happen twice despite itself.

Except then you remember Videla, basically Argentina's own Hitler, spent only about 5 years in prison before he got pardoned (by Menem who has also managed to stay relatively free), and then enjoyed freedom until he was 80+ and all the other myriad cases like that, and you kinda lose faith in the whole system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Haven't noticed these guys are using Pepe the Frog posters. Yep, not nazis at all.

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 4, 2018