Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Surprised Mustang hasn't allowed anyone to put a tracker app on his phone so they always know where he is. In the name of unit readiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
No need. He always answers his phone. 🚨🚨

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Don't forget your gotwa.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Mustang posted:

As the last to leave it's my first day off in over 30 days and the companies won't stop calling me for poo poo.

Some of them still don't understand after me not answering 6+ phone calls.

The company XOs were some fickle, moody bitches out in the field. I'm content to let them fail due to not planning ahead. I'll care when the BN XO calls me.

My replacement as the S4 now that I’m leaving and then going down to team level is all about the companies doing their proper planning, whereas I used to bust my rear end to keep things running smoothly. I’m actually very happy with the change.

The problem is now that they won’t know what to do and will keep pelting my AGR SFC and the S-3 section about stuff way too late for us.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vahakyla posted:

Just spent like a month in JMRC and liked it, wassup. Like a big LARP. Home tomorrow, maybe.

Lol was this your first Graf? I hope you never jump into Hohenfels lol

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We come here like four-five times a year. Never had chamce to jump in but dealt with a mascal due to lovely LZ this time.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
FTX day 3 - we set Liggett on fire

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

maffew buildings posted:

FTX day 3 - we set Liggett on fire

All of it, I hope.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

We aren't that component I'm afraid

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

maffew buildings posted:

We aren't that component I'm afraid

Pretty good thread title.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Can someone explain to me why working through a 4 day to get our OR rating back up is so important it can't wait until Tuesday.

It's not even our BN, it's BDE blowing up our commander and XO about having broken poo poo after a month in the field and no support from BDE for getting parts to us because we were 600 miles away.

How is getting parts off the ESR 4 days earlier so important that you make a BN work through the weekend when I guarantee 90% of the BN doesn't understand why. I don't.

Reasonable people would be like "you've been gone over a month, enjoy your 4 day!" and install the parts next week.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Mustang posted:

Can someone explain to me why working through a 4 day to get our OR rating back up is so important it can't wait until Tuesday.

It's not even our BN, it's BDE blowing up our commander and XO about having broken poo poo after a month in the field and no support from BDE for getting parts to us because we were 600 miles away.

How is getting parts off the ESR 4 days earlier so important that you make a BN work through the weekend when I guarantee 90% of the BN doesn't understand why. I don't.

Reasonable people would be like "you've been gone over a month, enjoy your 4 day!" and install the parts next week.

It's "Ready Now," not "Ready When It's Convenient," hooah?

- some O6, probably

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Mustang posted:

because sustainable readiness model hooah

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mustang posted:

I got as far as “can someone explain to me” and already have the answer

Because you’re in the army.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

boop the snoot posted:

Because you’re in the army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmCyUePGMrM

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
“Parts received not installed” is the most infuriating phrase one can hear, if a senior officer.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
When you have literally no accountability for labor hours and you don't give the slightest gently caress about the people that you have prison power over, why would you not abuse those pieces of poo poo?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Sometimes in my BATT we hear "hey overtime is authorized" and that anything past COB they inform the CO to justify and loving lol that is stupid and not believable also gently caress me for being in

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My time is billed out monthly, to the equivalent of 40hr/week (so ~152-176h/mo) and rounded to the nearest fifteen minute mark. Every minute that I stay longer than my 8 hours is time that will be subtracted from another day. Got a meeting that runs over by a half hour? Yeah, I'm leaving early tomorrow. Got a last minute due-by-COB-but-really-means-midnight task? Oh boy are you going to regret that one, because I'm going to work remotely for two hours and not come in the office at all to balance the books.

Seeing field grades absolutely flip their poo poo at this fact was one of the great highlights of my last gig. My snarky response has been to rub my shoulder where the flag usually is on a uniform and go 'oh god I'm sorry I thought I was still in the military" before packing my things.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Regardless, I'm working diligently to ensure that the various resources needed to work through the weekend aren't available in order to save the BNs 4 day weekend.

If I succeed it will probably one of the proudest things I've ever done in the Army.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Mustang posted:

Regardless, I'm working diligently to ensure that the various resources needed to work through the weekend aren't available in order to save the BNs 4 day weekend.

If I succeed it will probably one of the proudest things I've ever done in the Army.

God speed

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vasudus posted:

My time is billed out monthly, to the equivalent of 40hr/week (so ~152-176h/mo) and rounded to the nearest fifteen minute mark. Every minute that I stay longer than my 8 hours is time that will be subtracted from another day. Got a meeting that runs over by a half hour? Yeah, I'm leaving early tomorrow. Got a last minute due-by-COB-but-really-means-midnight task? Oh boy are you going to regret that one, because I'm going to work remotely for two hours and not come in the office at all to balance the books.

Seeing field grades absolutely flip their poo poo at this fact was one of the great highlights of my last gig. My snarky response has been to rub my shoulder where the flag usually is on a uniform and go 'oh god I'm sorry I thought I was still in the military" before packing my things.

vas I keep reading your posts and I'm half inspired to start applying for federal gigs in DC.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mr. Nice! posted:

vas I keep reading your posts and I'm half inspired to start applying for federal gigs in DC.

It does sound very, very satisfying

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

not caring here posted:

It does sound very, very satisfying

It's so weird how institutionalized I am. I read about 40 hour work weeks and people working weird hours because of caps and I'm like "whoa"

Sometimes I'll even watch the office and be like "wow that seems nice. Not being soaking wet and going home at 5" and it's not the message the show is sending but, you know

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yeah but to fair none of my previous jobs really allowed ”hey going to buy car insurance”, ”hey my wife needs me to pick up the kid today”, ”hey I gotta have my household goods delivered” as unaccounted excuses from work, and they didn’t have four day workweeks, either. I just did spend 30 days gone with no extra pay, but still, there are some nice upsides that definitely only materialize at CEO or high-level manager level in normal jobs.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Mustang posted:

It was at this moment that Mustang truly came full circle.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

Yeah but to fair none of my previous jobs really allowed "hey going to buy car insurance", "hey my wife needs me to pick up the kid today", "hey I gotta have my household goods delivered" as unaccounted excuses from work, and they didn't have four day workweeks, either. I just did spend 30 days gone with no extra pay, but still, there are some nice upsides that definitely only materialize at CEO or high-level manager level in normal jobs.

That has nothing to do with being management level and everything to do with being in a skilled labor position for a good company. There's nothing remarkable about it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Vahakyla posted:

Yeah but to fair none of my previous jobs really allowed ”hey going to buy car insurance”, ”hey my wife needs me to pick up the kid today”, ”hey I gotta have my household goods delivered” as unaccounted excuses from work, and they didn’t have four day workweeks, either. I just did spend 30 days gone with no extra pay, but still, there are some nice upsides that definitely only materialize at CEO or high-level manager level in normal jobs.

That absolutely does not require CEO level or anything of the sort in a lot of jobs - a lot of things that aren't manufacturing or retail where it creates an actual problem are pretty flexible for that kind of thing. I work in IT and I'm working from home today because I have contractors coming to rip out carpet. People frequently work from home for a package that needs signing or umpteen other reasons. My specific employer is really good with that sort of thing even for the norm, but it's not really that rare.

You still have a very hosed up view of how the workforce outside of the military generally is and your idea of what a "normal job" consists of is a weird cross of The Office mixed with every retail horror story mixed with a bunch of depressing "rat race" tropes.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Mustang posted:

Because Powerpoint and Excel completely crippled the officer corps' ability to think independently.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Give me summa dat CEO grunt poo poo.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Mustang posted:

Field-Grade Officer dick-wiggling, my friend.

If you think that combat brigade commanders are more focused on things like 'ensuring we don't top the list in suicides' or 'Making sure people are rested enough to not face acute depression at another training exercise' instead of making sure they can be the ones who can tell the other FGOs 'Well, MY stats are better, suck it!'...then, well, I don't know how long you've been in.

This poo poo has only gotten worse as the war has dragged on and overseas training exercises have ramped up to fill the void of grunt poo poo we feel necessary to fill for some reason, also because the 'Up or Out' system drives commanders to continue to press for numbers over Soldier well-being.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The concept in corporate world is called <checks notes> "Work-Life Balance". You see, plenty of good companies actually give a poo poo about their workers enough that they don't have to be ramming their dicks up your rear end about it 24/7. So things like "I don't like the traffic here so I come early and leave early", "I have the plumber coming sometime on Thursday so I'm working from home", "I can't work late at all because my babysitter is only there until 5" are not only acceptable, they're so mundane that it hardly gets any attention.

I had a coworker that lived literally a block away from work still telework every Friday. Nobody cared.

My previous program manager moved to the midwest for three years, flying in once a month for three days. Nobody cared.

One of the women on my account has six kids and can never work late. Nobody cares.

I've called in to meetings after I said I would be there in-person for because I didn't want to bother getting on a suit for an hour. Nobody cared.

Any company worth a drat will tell you all sorts of stories of this exact type if you ask about work-life balance and vehemently defend themselves about it. A bad company will either dismiss the concept entirely or give a bullshit cop-out answer. If work-life balance is a thing you care about, there's plenty of places out there. Don't care about it? then you're in luck, because there's even more companies that are more than happy to grind you into dust for no return.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
We have a whole shitload of people that work from home every Friday.

I live a 10 minute walk away from the office and once I get more established here I’m gonna do the same.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Vasudus posted:

Any company worth a drat will tell you all sorts of stories of this exact type if you ask about work-life balance and vehemently defend themselves about it. A bad company will either dismiss the concept entirely or give a bullshit cop-out answer.

We aren't a company, we're the world's premier fighting force! They only get the ability to have lives because we stand ready to defend them! Suck it up, it's going to be ten times as worse when we go to Afghanistan/Iraq/Syria/Kosovo/Ukraine/South Africa!

Hmmm.......

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I interviewed with SAP and asked them specifically about work-life balance. They laughed a little bit and said that if I put in the effort I would be equally rewarded. I said that's not an answer to the question I asked. They got kinda mumbly and changed the topic after trying yet another variation of 'work hard, play hard'.

There's plenty of industries where you're expected to give every last bit of your soul to, though. Any startup will scoff at the idea, or any company that tries to be like a startup to convince people they're hip and changing the world.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Mission accomplished. Got our 4 day back.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Your problem is you still think it’s “our” instead of “my”

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Mustang posted:

Mission accomplished. Got our 4 day back.

We give you a lot of poo poo in this thread, but you're a drat hero for this. Good job, man.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Hi, I'm a civilian interested in Officer Candidate School.

I was told by my recruiters that it was necessary for me to pass the Army Physical Fitness Test, scoring a 60% (40 push-ups, 50 sit-ups, and around a 16 minute 2-mile run) before I could even see the OCS Board and begin basic training as a soldier.

This sounded strange to me, so I've been trying to find more information on this (really, somewhere that specifically lays out these requirements... at the time my recruiter wrote them down on a piece of paper) and what I was able to find according to this page is that taking the APFT is a requirement for current soldiers who are aiming to be officers, but not civilians.

Does anyone here know more about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You're going to be taking the APFT your entire career, as it is the Army's way of measuring physical fitness. 60% is passing, but a better score will make your packet more competitive. Most combat arms commanders would see 90/90/90 for a total of 270/300 points as the real standard to meet. The number of them that actually get their units to achieve this, however...