Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

man sunlust gets challenging pretty fast huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

man sunlust gets challenging pretty fast huh?

Yup I tried playing it with the combined arms mod and couldn't progress because there isn't a bfg-like nuke gun, which is definitely needed imo. Then I said screw it and loaded up trailblazer and crushed most levels easily with the overpowering weapons. Cathartic.

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Can someone please explained to me what QZdoom is / does, and how it relates both to Zdoom and GZdoom? Am I right in thinking it is to software-rendered Zdoom what GZdoom is to hardware accelerated? (I've tried gleaning this information from the QZdoom site itself, but I'm an idiot and it isn't very clear to me). Are there any advantages in using it over GZdoom in software mode or even just Zdoom itself if I don't want to use hardware acceleration?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

multistability posted:

Can someone please explained to me what QZdoom is / does, and how it relates both to Zdoom and GZdoom? Am I right in thinking it is to software-rendered Zdoom what GZdoom is to hardware accelerated? (I've tried gleaning this information from the QZdoom site itself, but I'm an idiot and it isn't very clear to me). Are there any advantages in using it over GZdoom in software mode or even just Zdoom itself if I don't want to use hardware acceleration?
QZDoom is the experimental fork where stuff that the developers are twiddling with that they aren't sure should even be in GZDoom is tested and developed before a decision is made. Currently it's basically identical to (an outdated version of) GZDoom, since all the stuff that was being tested made the jump.

GZDoom still has the old software renderer. Go to the video mode options and set the renderer to what you want:
Doom Software: The old software renderer, with all its quirks and weirdness.
True Colour SW: Ditto, but without being limited to the 256 colour palette. This was what QZDoom was created to test, really.
Softpoly: The polygon-based renderer from the OpenGL renderer, except... in software.
True Colour Softpoly: Self-explanatory.
OpenGL-Accelerated: The GZDoom hardware renderer.

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Thanks for this! I guess I was confused by the whole True Colour SW thing. Sounds interesting, at least

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
You really shouldn't sleep on Ashes

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Kins posted:

QZDoom is the experimental fork where stuff that the developers are twiddling with that they aren't sure should even be in GZDoom is tested and developed before a decision is made. Currently it's basically identical to (an outdated version of) GZDoom, since all the stuff that was being tested made the jump.

GZDoom still has the old software renderer. Go to the video mode options and set the renderer to what you want:
Doom Software: The old software renderer, with all its quirks and weirdness.
True Colour SW: Ditto, but without being limited to the 256 colour palette. This was what QZDoom was created to test, really.
Softpoly: The polygon-based renderer from the OpenGL renderer, except... in software.
True Colour Softpoly: Self-explanatory.
OpenGL-Accelerated: The GZDoom hardware renderer.

Oh, that's what True Color SW means. All this time I thought it referred to Shadow Warrior and I was like "why does the Shadow Warrior one have full color range but the doom one doesn't" because I'm stupid

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
GZDoom question. I was hosting a coop game and decided to turn on item respawn but when I did 'sv_itemrespawn 1' in the console in said that only a 'setting controller' could do this. I'm the host! :mad: Anybody have any idea how to be a 'setting controller'? I googled for it and checked the zdoom wiki and found diddly squat.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Use the console command "net_listcontrollers" to know who the setting controllers are, "net_addcontroller" to add another player to the controller list, and "net_removecontroller" to remove a player from the list.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 30, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
True color sw has a lot higher hardware requirements though right?

I mean, that probably won't matter much unless you have a poo poo computer like i do, but still

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

site posted:

True color sw has a lot higher hardware requirements though right?

The system requirements to use it instead of the 256 color mode is approximately a 300 MHz Pentium II with 2 MB of video RAM and 32 MB of system RAM.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

fishmech posted:

The system requirements to use it instead of the 256 color mode is approximately a 300 MHz Pentium II with 2 MB of video RAM and 32 MB of system RAM.

Oh lol okay I thought I read a while back that it was way worse than that. I'll have to refresh my reading

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

You really shouldn't sleep on Ashes

What title is this from? My backlog gets larger :(

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

site posted:

Oh lol okay I thought I read a while back that it was way worse than that. I'll have to refresh my reading

Yeah it's one of the features kept in the fork of GZDoom meant for use on Win9x computers and Win2000+ installs that don't have SSE2 instruction support. It's a rendering mode that only needs the capabilities of a late 90s system because it was implemented in a similar way to truecolor software renderers of that time. It's called GZDoom32 currently, used to go by ZDoom32.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i probably am just mixing up stuff about scaling i had read about or something. its been a few months so my memory has gotten a bit jumbled together

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Narcissus1916 posted:

What title is this from? My backlog gets larger :(

That's Ashes 2063.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Cat Mattress posted:

Use the console command "net_listcontrollers" to know who the setting controllers are, "net_addcontroller" to add another player to the controller list, and "net_removecontroller" to remove a player from the list.

Oh ho! Thanks.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Surprise! The Soldier of Fortune games are now on GOG.

Soldier of Fortune: Platinum Edition
Soldier of Fortune 2: Double Helix Gold Edition
That One Terrible ValuSoft Game Nobody Likes

Parachute
May 18, 2003
you can't play SoF 2 multiplayer any more, right?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I would play the gently caress out of The Terrible One if they ever fixed the mouse controls. The best way to describe them is like they emulated thumbstick aiming with the mouse, just imprecise and unresponsive in a way that feels alien. It basically made playing it on a PC just north of impossible.

Still, the guns look at sound cool, and that's most of what I want in a disposable FPS. The one thing that's really kept the game in the corner of my mind all these years is its aiming: instead of just choosing between hipfire and iron sights, there's an intermediate aiming level where you shoulder the weapon but don't sight up, giving you better control than hipfire but greater visibility up close than your sights. I didn't know how badly I wanted that in a tactical sim FPS and, as far a I know, nobody else has ever done it :(

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Oh poo poo :stare: I had always filed these games in the "never gonna happen" category due to the SoF Magazine license

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Time to blow some limbs off

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Holy poo poo SoF games. Funnily enough I replayed 1 like two months ago and I still like it. Don't know how 2 aged with the slower gameplay.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

What is it with Activision games and not having them digitally available anyway? I shouldn't have to resort to :filez: if I wanted to play Heretic II or Wolfenstien 2009

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Strangely enough, SOF2 was my first real multiplayer shooter experience; it was popular at the webcafe I went to on weekends.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think for sof2 i spent most of my time in that custom campaign mode where you can choose a level and a difficulty and an objective type and it randomized how many guys there were and how they were placed

I hope it holds up

Actually i never played 1i suppose i should give that a whirl now that its available

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
Anybody know why I'm getting Doom weapons and enemies in Ashes?
Just doing the drag and drop into GzDoom method like it says to and music, menus, and maps all work fine like expected,..

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Naganted posted:

Just doing the drag and drop into GzDoom method like it says to and music, menus, and maps all work fine like expected,..

Check to see if your general GZDoom config has you loading other mods.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Naganted posted:

The release distribution includes two files, Ashes2063Maps.wad and Ashes2063Mod.pk3. (Plus the readme.) You need to load the file with the maps as well.

If you're lazy, you can open the pk3 in 7zip (or any other zip manager of your choice) and drag-and-drop the maps.wad file in its root directory, so that the maps will be automatically loaded. It's not the most elegant way of doing that, but it's the simplest. (The recommended method would be separating each map into its own individual wad file, and then putting them in the pk3's maps/ folder.)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

site posted:

I think for sof2 i spent most of my time in that custom campaign mode where you can choose a level and a difficulty and an objective type and it randomized how many guys there were and how they were placed

I hope it holds up

Actually i never played 1i suppose i should give that a whirl now that its available

As soon as I get SoF2 I'll see if it holds up well. SoF1 is more arcadey and holds up nicely in the shooting part since you can set always run and blast enemies with the magnum in the head. SoF2 had recoil and spread so you had to take the game slower. Also SoF2 had more issues running on modern hardware than SoF1 (just a modified quake 2 engine with the dismember stuff). So I've been out of luck of using my retail gold since... 2006 or something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just discovered wadsmoosh on the zdoom forums. Had to do a little finagling with slade to get the plutonia midi pack in, and the final pk3 is only like 17mb compared to the 40 the op says it would be, so im a little worried something didnt work right, but having all the iwads built into one is pretty sweet.

E: oh and deep in the thread is a link to a mod that turns doom-complete.pk3 into one giant megawad lol nice

and AND i found on doomworld that someone just recently put out a dehacked patch/wad that adds smoothdoom weapon animations to vanilla doom/prboom

Pretty good day for dooming today

site fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 2, 2018

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
I solved my issue, should've just been not lazy and tried out extracting the files and dragging and dropping those.
Having a lot of fun ferreting out secrets and stuff so far.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

DoombatINC posted:

[Soldier of Fortune: Payback] instead of just choosing between hipfire and iron sights, there's an intermediate aiming level where you shoulder the weapon but don't sight up, giving you better control than hipfire but greater visibility up close than your sights. I didn't know how badly I wanted that in a tactical sim FPS and, as far a I know, nobody else has ever done it :(

The only other time I remember seeing this type of aiming was in the UT'99 mod Infiltration. You could keep your weapon at a low-ready and fire from that position, or snap up to the irons or optics really quick. Infiltration was janky and super slow paced but I thought it was awesome at the time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DoombatINC posted:

Still, the guns look at sound cool, and that's most of what I want in a disposable FPS. The one thing that's really kept the game in the corner of my mind all these years is its aiming: instead of just choosing between hipfire and iron sights, there's an intermediate aiming level where you shoulder the weapon but don't sight up, giving you better control than hipfire but greater visibility up close than your sights. I didn't know how badly I wanted that in a tactical sim FPS and, as far a I know, nobody else has ever done it :(

I think Operation Flashpoint/ArmA does that stuff.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I've played all three of those games and somehow must've missed that :goleft:

I put hundreds of hours into Infiltration, especially - that game pulled off some crazy poo poo considering what they were working with at the time. I still my remember my loadout of choice: a P90, a Five-seveN and a couple frags. Enough firepower to depopulate a base ten times over, but mobile as a minx even with heavy armor :getin:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wow, other people who have even heard of Infiltration. Great game/mod, and I still remember the devs musing that they had no real path forwards into a U2 engine, with America's Army coming around the corner. Different times, man.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The worst thing about Infiltration is that the bot AI was, unsurprisingly, fairly incompetent with the mod's weapons and mechanics.

When I was younger, I so wished the bots were better with that mod. But it was not meant to be.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I too enjoyed Infiltration for UT, much more than any of the other tactilol mods. My load-out of choice was a MP5 with two clips*, shotgun with no extra ammo and a single grenade. Being mobile and rushing at the start was great.

*Infiltration forums anno 2001 are triggered

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
The best part about Infiltration was, in the later versions that tried to be a whole separate game with its own gameplay mechanics and maps and everything - if you, like me, didn't quite have the patience to work with that, you could run the game normally and just spawn the weapons in through the console and play with them with bots who had an idea what they were doing (I didn't get into it until it was old news, unfortunately, so I never played it with other people).

Covert Forces was more my jam because I remember it having three or four times as many guns, and most versions came with WoRM plugins to more easily pick what the game spawned, but Infiltration was still cool as hell because it was just so different from how regular UT looked or played or was even started. I particularly liked that you could fire your gun from the hip without it necessarily pointing towards the center of the screen, even if it made non-aimed firing difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Amazing that SoF 1 and 2 are available again.