Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do people still obsess over PS1 for having some amazing CD transport mechanism for audio CDs?

No, just audiophiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do people still obsess over PS1 for having some amazing CD transport mechanism for audio CDs?

It was only the first revision of the PS1, the one with RCA jacks on the back. I think it’s mostly been debunked by now but there are some crazy modded ones around. Coincidentally I have one (not audio modded but I did install a mod chip for burnt discs), I got it for $12 at a thrift store and I use it for this really unconventional thing, playing video games on.

The box attached to the bottom one is a power supply. And the set sold for $300 on ebay.

GutBomb has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Oct 2, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GutBomb posted:

I think it’s mostly been debunked by now

LOL as if it is possible to debunk audiophile claims.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lol those are great. I would legit love to have one. (To play Jumping Flash and Battle Arena Toshinden on.)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GutBomb posted:

It was only the first revision of the PS1, the one with RCA jacks on the back. I think it’s mostly been debunked by now but there are some crazy modded ones around.

I think it's less debunked and more obsolete. There was a brief period of time where the desire was valid.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Fallom posted:

I think it's less debunked and more obsolete. There was a brief period of time where the desire was valid.

There was never anything special about the CD player in the PlayStation so I’m not sure what you mean about the desire being valid.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I think it was the dac, not the cd player itself? Kind of like how the original chewing gum ipod shuffle blew people away with whatever chip it used

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GutBomb posted:

There was never anything special about the CD player in the PlayStation so I’m not sure what you mean about the desire being valid.

I mean that the components were considered a pretty good value for the money compared to the CD players designed to gouge the high-end market. You'll probably find somebody claiming that it has magic moon technology but the consensus the last time I looked into it was that, for a brief period of time, the PlayStation was actually a competitive CD player.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

Audiophiles convinced themselves a PS1 made their test CDs sound better and bought them en masse along with bags of rocks and stickers to put on the wall. Now they have a new fixation to dump their money into. I'm only annoyed because all my dumb ideas have already been done and are now out of style.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

It's like the Harman/Kardon DVD-1, their first DVD player - it was worth getting just for the audio DAC and use as a CD player. If you were into that sort of thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fallom posted:

I mean that the components were considered a pretty good value for the money compared to the CD players designed to gouge the high-end market. You'll probably find somebody claiming that it has magic moon technology but the consensus the last time I looked into it was that, for a brief period of time, the PlayStation was actually a competitive CD player.

Nah, it was always poo poo. The audio output has relatively high distortion and significant frequency response roll off. A perfectly ordinary Sony CD player from the same time period was cheaper and better in every way (except it couldn't play games).

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Is there a thread on audiophile bullshit? Seems like it would be a good opportunity to laugh at idiots with way too much money to burn and the people gleefully fleecing them.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5x3Q6OBq0k

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

barbecue at the folks posted:

Is there a thread on audiophile bullshit? Seems like it would be a good opportunity to laugh at idiots with way too much money to burn and the people gleefully fleecing them.

Would you like to buy $100, 2 meters in length, shielded to a thickness of a hose, gold plated connections HDMI cable?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

There's this episode of The F-Plus:

https://thefpl.us/episode/138

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166333

Enjoy

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Ahh, that's the stuff, thank you

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah but every other page an actual audiophile goon stumbles in and posts pictures of their lovely 40 000$ set-up and ugly carpet because they can't read thread titles.

e: Oh actually it's more audiophiles posting than ridiculing nowadays.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

loving lol at people who believe in sound homeopathy

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Goddamnit, I saw some site the other day with this guy's homemade audio room, it was covered in off angle wooden baffles, all his audio cables were EXTRA shielded with 2 inch thick outer wrapping, he had massive amps and speaker boxes, it looked like a mad science lab, lots of high power sources all with crazy home-brew shielding. It was awesome and I cannot find it.

e: still can't find it but the dude's stuff was all shielded like this:

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Oct 2, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Shielded cables but he doesn't put those tubes in a faraday cage?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I think that the particle accellerator style cable holders take the cake for maximum audiophile, i would bet that the insane man/woman behind that thing spent months calculating the perfect radius for the curve.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I can't find it again but the best audiophile thing I've ever seen was when FLAC was a fairly new thing and some forum had an 80+ page argument about whether Western Digital or Seagate hard drives sounded better.

This stuff is sad even when they are doing things that actually make a difference because it means that they care more about listening to what their equipment sounds like than listening to music. I wonder if any of those guys have ever listened to an album all the way through or they just do test runs for eternity.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Please tell me there are strategies to purify dirty room air for the best possible transmission of soundwaves. Like, you have to go outside to fart.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used to go into a high end audio store with my buddy who was into that stuff. It was always weird what albums they'd use to demo the equipment. I don't think I ever saw them playing anything recorded after 1980.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Audiophiles only listen to Phil Collins and the worst Dave Brubeck recordings they can find.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

I wish I had an audiophile's money, but without their brain problems.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hogo Fogo posted:

I don't know why but I've noticed rich people always have the worst taste in music.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

SlowBloke posted:

the insane man/woman behind that thing

Come on. You know it's a man.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Those loopy cables are funny. Wouldn't you actually want the cables to be as short and straight as possible?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

azurite posted:

Those loopy cables are funny. Wouldn't you actually want the cables to be as short and straight as possible?

Cables can be bent, but most people don't realize that they're still made of copper, which can be broken. In engineering there's a "minimum bend radius," this is literally the smallest radius you can bend these cables before they're damaged. The MBR is dictated by the diameter of the cable, the bigger the cable, the bigger the MBR.

There is literally no need for a bend that large on a cable that small, let alone that much isolation for simple audio.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hogo Fogo posted:

I got bad news for you: being rich breaks your brain in unimaginable ways anyway

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This looks more like a person* trying to get some vision of a wealth experience through some dream of pristine audio. Like, an actual rich person would just hire an engineer or something and say, make it sound perfect, explain to me how it's perfect so I can brag about it to women, and it better look good, too, so make sure you talk to my interior decorator so it doesn't clash with my other ostentatious bullshit lifestyle objects.

*definitely male

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

Cables can be bent, but most people don't realize that they're still made of copper, which can be broken. In engineering there's a "minimum bend radius," this is literally the smallest radius you can bend these cables before they're damaged. The MBR is dictated by the diameter of the cable, the bigger the cable, the bigger the MBR.

There is literally no need for a bend that large on a cable that small, let alone that much isolation for simple audio.

The MBR is usually so small that you couldnt reach it with your hands anyway. The copper work hardening is a concern over like a million bends, but yeah, either way, those cables are useless

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SlowBloke posted:

I think that the particle accellerator style cable holders take the cake for maximum audiophile, i would bet that the insane man/woman behind that thing spent months calculating the perfect radius for the curve.

And then they put right-angle plugs on the cable.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

poo poo, most men of a certain age have weird and often expensive hobbies, be it miniature trains, woodworking, motorcycles or modular synths. The thing about audiophiles is the sheer uselessness and insanity of it all. Many of these people have gone through divorce because of their obsession with imaginary sound waves and didn't even think twice about choosing the $100/ft cables over their family.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Imagine if your hobby was riding motorcycles and you owned the most expensive motorcycle available. Then after every ride where you commute back and forth to your job, you went on a forum and swore up and down that you went to outerspace on your bike today, and yesterday you rode it through the center of an active volcano.

Thats what being an audiophile is like

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Many of these people have gone through divorce.

:wtc:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

poo poo, most men of a certain age have weird and often expensive hobbies, be it miniature trains, woodworking, motorcycles or modular synths. The thing about audiophiles is the sheer uselessness and insanity of it all. Many of these people have gone through divorce because of their obsession with imaginary sound waves and didn't even think twice about choosing the $100/ft cables over their family.

See also: boats, bicycles, power tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

See also: boats, bicycles, power tools

Yeah at least bicycles give you exercise and power tools can be used to build things.