Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think expecting valve to care about tf2 at this point might be a bit too optimistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ChickenHeart posted:

Oof. I take it that there's not a lot of hope for the comics, either.

It’s been 629 days since the last bimonthly installment.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think expecting valve to care about tf2 at this point might be a bit too optimistic

why think about tf2 when they're got their next cashcow, a dota 2 card game to worry about

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
They cared for this game for nearly a decade. Isnt that enough?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ArfJason posted:

They cared for this game for nearly a decade. Isnt that enough?

I mean, as long as they’re still charging money for the stuff in it, not really. It would be one thing if they “finished” the game, by wrapping up all the loose ends and declaring it to be a finished product. However, what’s happening right now is that the game is becoming less playable. It’s becoming harder and harder for people to get into a game, and it is clearly because of some technical issue on Valve’s end, but there has been little indication that they’re even looking into it. That’s not enough.

And if they have given up on this game, they at least owe it to the people playing it to officially announce that so they can make an informed decision about whether to keep playing it or spending money on it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
You can still pay for unreal tournament 98 or whatever and thats not getting any support + this game even went f2p. Valve has become one of the worst game companies in the past 6 or so years but the complaint about not getting more tf2 attention to me seems insane when 99% of games get dropped by devs not even 2 years into their lifecycle and this one has been getting content for a very long time (workshop hats notwithstanding). This isnt to say its a good idea to murder their own playerbase with the horseshit that is the matchmaker.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I went to install TF2 to gear up for Tip of the Hats and it's apparently 20GB now, which is all the proof I need that it's seen plenty of healthy support since it came out 11 years ago.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

tf2 received plenty of support and I'm okay with the fact that they're not really doing much with it now but the matchmaking thing is awful and I have no idea why they forced it

like TF2 was played without matchmaking for literally 9 years and it was absolutely fine, now you have matchmaking and I have to wait 5 minutes to get a casual match instead of just opening the server list and clicking on a server that has a map I like in 15 seconds, because they removed all the valve servers from the list and all the community servers died

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ArfJason posted:

You can still pay for unreal tournament 98 or whatever and thats not getting any support + this game even went f2p. Valve has become one of the worst game companies in the past 6 or so years but the complaint about not getting more tf2 attention to me seems insane when 99% of games get dropped by devs not even 2 years into their lifecycle and this one has been getting content for a very long time (workshop hats notwithstanding). This isnt to say its a good idea to murder their own playerbase with the horseshit that is the matchmaker.

I guess I’m a little confused about what you mean by support. Are you talking about new hats and guns and stuff, or are you talking about maintaining the game’s infrastructure and fixing bugs that prevent people from connecting to servers that are within a reasonable distance?

If it’s the former, then they don’t have to keep doing that. They’ve more or less stopped already. However, I still think they ought to make a press release or announcement or something saying that they’re done adding content so nobody buys the (premium version of the) game on the false pretense that it will continue to see new stuff added.

If it’s the latter, yes, they absolutely have to keep doing that. As long as the game is still availibke for download, it needs to be playable. Otherwise they’re scamming folks.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Did anyone ever explain why they felt the need to poo poo things up with the matchmaking system?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Did anyone ever explain why they felt the need to poo poo things up with the matchmaking system?

Because idiots were demanding it because they were getting stomped in random Valve server games by much better players. The pointed and screeched at Overwatch demanding it be like that so they wouldn’t have to actually try and play better against better players and Valve listened.

it also didn’t help that when Valve was doing the auto server join thing community servers kept using plugins to bullshit the system to pretend they were vanilla servers to get people to join their 32 instant respawn, donators getting powers and 100% crits, ad forcing garbage tier servers to the point where Valve dropped all support for community servers from quickplay. Then once Valve went to match making there wasn’t anyway for community servers to draw traffic because they’d already been excommunicated

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

cock hero flux posted:

tf2 received plenty of support and I'm okay with the fact that they're not really doing much with it now but the matchmaking thing is awful and I have no idea why they forced it

like TF2 was played without matchmaking for literally 9 years and it was absolutely fine, now you have matchmaking and I have to wait 5 minutes to get a casual match instead of just opening the server list and clicking on a server that has a map I like in 15 seconds, because they removed all the valve servers from the list and all the community servers died

You're playing with friends, or being very selective with your maps then - I have most of them selected (except for Special Maps and 2fort) and typically get matched to a server within 15 seconds.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think they are just under staffed not that they "don't care". At the same time if an entire country is blocked from their servers that should be some thing that gets bumped up the list of priorities. I dunno.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jippa posted:

I think they are just under staffed not that they "don't care". At the same time if an entire country is blocked from their servers that should be some thing that gets bumped up the list of priorities. I dunno.

Who? Valve? No way, they're making money hand over fist, I'm sure they have as much staff as they feel like they need. If you mean the TF2 team specifically then yeah, but that's not some unavoidable bit of bad luck, its a result of people funneling away from it as it becomes less popular and they become less passionate about it.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I'd rather valve gracefully (as gracefully as they can with a game that's over a decade old) end content support and move on than hope beyond hope that eventually we'll get an update that'll somehow make TF2 magically relevant again

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I don't know what this means (if anything), but a friend of mine who dabbles in model making/editing noticed that the repair node model got a recent-ish update.

Not sure how recently or what it really means, but it has a new part added and a new UV unwrap apparently, so :shrug:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I know we all would want support for this game like it was brand new, but Valve have changed as a company and Steam/DOTA2 is what they care about more than anything now.

We got at least 8 great years of this game, and there is still the option to play even now and while it is not quite the same as it was, it does not detract how there is still a pretty amazing game within. Maybe a change will be like the jungle inferno update and seemingly come out of nowhere, or perhaps it will not. All I know is that as long as the game lets me boot it up and connect to servers, I will keep playing. :)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's fixed. :f5: :cheers:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Otacon posted:

You're playing with friends, or being very selective with your maps then - I have most of them selected (except for Special Maps and 2fort) and typically get matched to a server within 15 seconds.

Mostly I feel like playing 5cp and that's a 5-10 minute queue every time. If I select everything then I get in within a minute but end up in some godforsaken server with 8 people playing ctf_well or some poo poo.

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"

cock hero flux posted:

Mostly I feel like playing 5cp and that's a 5-10 minute queue every time. If I select everything then I get in within a minute but end up in some godforsaken server with 8 people playing ctf_well or some poo poo.

5cp/ctf is not really a great experience in 12v12 and I think that's reflected in the queues. (turbine and 2fort are the exception.. people really like those two ctf maps for some weird reason)

Really though it's all about cp_dustbowl + most of the pl maps + ping limit set to auto = getting placed into a server within minute

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I am so loving tired of the dustbowl/badwater/upward rotation, that's the biggest thing that's driving me away at this point. Every now and then I get a little bit of goldrush or thundermountain, that's about it. It's been ages since I played Steel or Coldfront or anything. My friends put them in queue to humor me but they never come up and if they do they're dead servers.

I even like playing the "bad" maps like Hoodoo once in a blue moon.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 2, 2018

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Warpy posted:

5cp/ctf is not really a great experience in 12v12 and I think that's reflected in the queues. (turbine and 2fort are the exception.. people really like those two ctf maps for some weird reason)

Really though it's all about cp_dustbowl + most of the pl maps + ping limit set to auto = getting placed into a server within minute

On the other hand, playing dustbowl about as much fun as remaining in queue for 15 minutes.

I only play 5cp and koth, but I guess I'm lucky because I rarely have to wait as long as one minute.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I get harvest, snowycoast and Kong king fairly often in my rotation, as well as the odd nucleus, frontier and steel. Yeah, it is mostly badwater and upward though.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Warpy posted:

5cp/ctf is not really a great experience in 12v12 and I think that's reflected in the queues.

ctf sucks but I always enjoyed 5cp the most. This opinion was not shared by 80% of people but that was fine because I could hit the server browser and find a 5cp server full of the 20% in about 15 seconds. Now we are scattered to the winds, lost amongst the endless payloads and dustbowls, never to be reunited without queuing for 15 minutes.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
CTF is good when you just want to fool around with the map never, EVER changing.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I do 5CP, Koth, and a select few PL maps and I never have trouble queuing in under a minute. I’m also east coast US so that helps as well.

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"

cock hero flux posted:

ctf sucks but I always enjoyed 5cp the most. This opinion was not shared by 80% of people but that was fine because I could hit the server browser and find a 5cp server full of the 20% in about 15 seconds. Now we are scattered to the winds, lost amongst the endless payloads and dustbowls, never to be reunited without queuing for 15 minutes.

dustbowl 4 lyfe

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Maps need a max time limit. The PL community server I play on has started dabbling with CP maps on Wednesday and they always suck the life out of me bouncing between the 4th and 5th point for 30-40 minutes.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I don't think I could get tired of playing badwater it's one of my favorite maps in video games

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Back when ISP servers used to be a thing, I always played on one titled simply "Bad Maps". At first I thought it was a misnomer, because the map was always fantastic, but then I realised it was just alternating between cp_badlands and pl_badwater.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

badwater was always my favorite map but i don't really want to play it anymore due to overexposure

is competitive matchmaking still effectively worthless?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
do people still play Mann Vs. Machine?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Warpy posted:

dustbowl 4 lyfe

db_heights, the wretched hellspawn of Dustbowl with a payload

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

is competitive matchmaking still effectively worthless?

I did my calibrations with half hour queues. Post-calibration I have been unable to find a match. I left the queue running for 8 hours.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
How the heck do you learn to play MvM? I always end up getting rolled.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How the heck do you learn to play MvM? I always end up getting rolled.

teamwork, communication, and learning which items are good and can be better with the right upgrades.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
Play with a team of friends who have 250+ tours and let them carry you :haw:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Butt Detective posted:

wanna be friends?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Warpy posted:

dustbowl 4 lyfe

I've been playing on Dustbowl Only servers since TFC, it would be crazy to stop now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Butt Detective posted:

I made friends with some people who had 250 tours like 2 or 3 years ago, which is just an astonishing amount of tours even when you consider that two cities had been out for like 3 years then (which makes me feel old in general)

That's like 100 tours a year... 400 missions a year... probably at least a tour a night a couple times a week. Each mission is like an hour if you're making good time. Also, $1000 in cash for 250 tours of tickets.

Last time I checked they were still going pretty strong. The diehard mvm'ers are crazy.

Come to think of it, if you're a 16-year-old who wants more Steam Money to buy games you'll never play, there's probably worse gigs. Bet the odds of an australium payout push you into positive net value.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 3, 2018