Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/02/no-downside-new-zealand-firm-adopts-four-day-week-after-successful-trial

I hope the 4 day week gets more acceptance within the business community, but I am sure someone while have a whinge about profits or cash flow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

Be honest here, how many of you think Scott Morrison will win the next election.

I don't. It's not beyond the realms of possibility but the Coalition are fundamentally unpopular at the moment and I don't see that changing.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
ScoMo only has a hope in hell if he goes to an election before the next budget or earlier. Why?

1/ Housing crash jenga has offically begun. https://www.afr.com/real-estate/sydney-property-prices-fall-the-fastest-in-nine-years-corelogic-20180902-h14udy

quote:

Higher borrowing costs and unaffordable prices have pushed the housing slowdown that started in Sydney across the country, with not even Hobart immune to the cooling.

While home values fell more in the NSW capital than any other city over the year to August, with a 5.6 per cent decline – a slump Sydney last experienced in March 2009 – the contagion spread, with Melbourne's decline accelerating and values in the previously white-hot Hobart market slipping 0.1 per cent from July, CoreLogic figures showed on Monday.

Perth's quarterly pace of decline worsened to 1.9 per cent from 1.5 per cent. Brisbane values slipped 0.2 per cent after ticking up 0.1 per cent a month earlier.

"The story is that things are slowing everywhere," CoreLogic research analyst Cameron Kusher said.

2/That pesky NBN roll out. March 2019 is crunch time for many users and the whole musty edifice is about to collapse into a pile of waterlogged copper and foreign call centre poop. Mum's and Dad's without a working internet connection or phone line? Yeah that'll pull votes for the LNP architects.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Cartoon posted:

ScoMo only has a hope in hell if he goes to an election before the next budget or earlier. Why?

1/ Housing crash jenga has offically begun. https://www.afr.com/real-estate/sydney-property-prices-fall-the-fastest-in-nine-years-corelogic-20180902-h14udy

2/That pesky NBN roll out. March 2019 is crunch time for many users and the whole musty edifice is about to collapse into a pile of waterlogged copper and foreign call centre poop. Mum's and Dad's without a working internet connection or phone line? Yeah that'll pull votes for the LNP architects.

Scomo talking points:

1/ The only reason we're in this mess is because of 6 years of fiscally irresponsible Labor government, a LNP government will take care of the economy and ensure house prices remain strong

2/ The only reason we're in this mess is because of 6 years of fiscally irresponsible Labor government overpromising on NBN's budget, speed, and rollout timefame. The NBN under the LNP government is stronger and faster than anything Labor could have done.

The CPG will lap it up unquestioningly and gratefully as per usual

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I didn't know all these LNP spin doctors posted here.

Even if the LNP turn around their vote in QLD they still lose due to bleeding votes in NSW and VIC.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Anidav posted:

Be honest here, how many of you think Scott Morrison will win the next election.

I don't, and for bonus points, I don't think Matty Guy will win either.

Not strongly enough to toxx over it, because Australians are still fundamentally a terrible people, but enough to put it in writing.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

bell jar posted:

The CPG will lap it up unquestioningly and gratefully as per usual

The CPG are absolutely disgusting. More interested in fluff journalism and rubbing shoulders with those in power than doing actual journalism work. Alice Workman is the exception to this.

Useless pack of hacks. Not a single one of them bothered to report on Morrison’s “I stopped these” boat trophy despite it being in his office for years. We had to learn it from the NYT.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Anidav posted:

I guess he has a chance if everything goes his way, the Liberals miraculously stop in-fighting after Wentworth, Australia buys into his Fatman Sharks act, and a Tampa or three happens right before the election. But that's a very big "if".

Honestly I think it's far more likely Morrison's tendency to impulsively jump at everything is going to eventually backfire spectacularly and make things much worse.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

I didn't know all these LNP spin doctors posted here.

Even if the LNP turn around their vote in QLD they still lose due to bleeding votes in NSW and VIC.

Both NSW and Vic have elections coming up soon. I think the Federal Coalition's best hope is that voters take out all their anger on the state parties.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Both NSW and Vic have elections coming up soon. I think the Federal Coalition's best hope is that voters take out all their anger on the state parties.

Or the "well it's never a good idea to let one party control everything, so-" crowd come out.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*proud Liberal supporter wearing an "I forgive ScoMo" T-shirt kicks door open on election day*

"The economy is good."

*swing voters rabidly go into Howard battler mode*

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Or the "well it's never a good idea to let one party control everything, so-" crowd come out.

Yeah, that too.

I've got no idea how the NSW election is going to go. The Libs aren't that popular but Labor's platform is such a small target that it could fit up a mouse's arsehole.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The best advice re: NSW is "don't".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/parsfarce/status/658562693297647618

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

:itwaspoo:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Whitlam posted:

I don't, and for bonus points, I don't think Matty Guy will win either.

Not strongly enough to toxx over it, because Australians are still fundamentally a terrible people, but enough to put it in writing.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Where is this ostensible liberal infighting, they’ve been remarkably successful at closing ranks around Morrison and dealing with The Females

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Amazing how quickly the Liberals "female issue" is yesterdays news

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
'sup nerds.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav posted:

Amazing how quickly the Liberals "female issue" is yesterdays news

Dude Lindsay Lohan tried to abduct some refugee kids off the street while saying "don't gently caress with Pakistan" last week. This news cycle holds onto nothing.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Never underestimate the desperation of maniacs. On the face of it, I should expect a return of the incumbents in Victoria, but the strategy for the coalition this time is "save the furniture" and I expect attention-grabbing chaos because they won't have a lot of money to throw at any thing properly planned. That's dangerous. It could also end up being backstab-city as civil war breaks out between the coalition partners and/or presumed preference deals are thrown out at the last minute. We just don't know.

NSW doesn't matter, whoever wins will always be a bastard.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Vic libs are actively courting as many happy clappers as they can get their hands on to try and transform the party into a republican style outfit funded by religion. The downside to this is that unlike the 60%+ population of Christians in the USA, Australian non-religious are thicker on the ground than Catholics or generic Christians which tells me they're digging a fine and permanent grave.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JBP posted:

Vic libs are actively courting as many happy clappers as they can get their hands on to try and transform the party into a republican style outfit funded by religion. The downside to this is that unlike the 60%+ population of Christians in the USA, Australian non-religious are thicker on the ground than Catholics or generic Christians which tells me they're digging a fine and permanent grave.

Inshallah

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

But they won't campaign on their religious ideals. they'll campaign on the same old poo poo, get elected eventually because opposition's don't win, incumbents lose, and they'll go and wind back abortion and safe schools and fracking and sell everything etc etc

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hambeet posted:

But they won't campaign on their religious ideals. they'll campaign on the same old poo poo, get elected eventually because opposition's don't win, incumbents lose, and they'll go and wind back abortion and safe schools and fracking and sell everything etc etc

They will when enough of them get into the party.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JBP posted:

Following the same route as the US Republicans as they've been desperately wanting to, ending with the lunatics taking over the asylum.

Though we saw how demographics are destiny worked out there...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Following the same route as the US Republicans as they've been desperately wanting to, ending with the lunatics taking over the asylum.

Though we saw how demographics are destiny worked out there...

Going to be interesting what happens over there at the next election. At least Trump's anti-Iran stance is going to force us into renewables/PT faster because petrol will cost $2 next year.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

I feel there is a greater semblance of awareness here as to what does and does not win elections in Australia.

Like I'd love for you to right, but with a complicit media I wouldn't be putting money on it at this stage.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

It's amazing how much the Liberal Party can get away with regarding leadership turmoil in comparison to Labor.

I wonder why.
media bias

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

JBP posted:

Going to be interesting what happens over there at the next election. At least Trump's anti-Iran stance is going to force us into renewables/PT faster because petrol will cost $2 next year.

Genuinely curious how high petrol prices have to be for people to drive less, if not stop entirely.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

hambeet posted:

I feel there is a greater semblance of awareness here as to what does and does not win elections in Australia.

Maybe at a federal level, but the Vic Libs don't really have a clue about anything. If they did, they wouldn't have had a one-term government last time, and wouldn't have put Matthew "lobster with a mobster, openly corrupt, sell off all the land in Victoria" Guy as Party leader.

Edit:

froglet posted:

Genuinely curious how high petrol prices have to be for people to drive less, if not stop entirely.

It's not just about petrol prices, people also have to have alternatives. Sure, probably most people drive out of laziness/inertia, but for some it's literally their only reliable and available method of transport. Those people are just gonna get hosed over hard by rising prices, with no real alternatives but to take it.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

lwarlgggfsaf

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

froglet posted:

The poorest and farthest from the CBD will die first freeing up seats on the train.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Whitlam posted:

Maybe at a federal level, but the Vic Libs don't really have a clue about anything. If they did, they wouldn't have had a one-term government last time, and wouldn't have put Matthew "lobster with a mobster, openly corrupt, sell off all the land in Victoria" Guy as Party leader.

Yep totally fair point, but people will eventually tire of dandrews and vote 'the other' and that'll be when poo poo goes down a four year hill.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

froglet posted:

Company car, so never for me!

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i'm thinking of investing in donkeys

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You've got a threadful already.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Alternatively, that'd be an rear end move.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I dunno how lucrative they are but they're definitely adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

avshalemon posted:

i'm thinking of investing in donkeys

The Liberal Party members?