Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

loquacius posted:

I have tried going on real dates and have gotten close to sex, but I always ruin it by treating them like a whore, just starting to strip down immediately while

It honestly had me until right there

Good fake, whomever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Animal-Mother posted:

Pay hookers to kill the cats.

Lose your virginity to an unconscious blue jay

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RFC2324 posted:

Lose your virginity to an unconscious blue jay

Please restrain from posting your Regular Show fanfic

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You do realize that people who haven't had sex with a sex worker don't magically know how foreplay works the first time they have sex, right? I really don't understand how loving that up happens more than once. Just say you're an awkward virgin.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Didn't even need hands to become the gods of the first great human civilization

checmakte this cats got hands

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
That’s not a cat with human hands, it’s a human with a cat head.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Son of Man posted:

one time a blue jay crashed into my picture window and knocked himself out. my border collie was sitting on the deck right next to it and I thought that would be the end of that bird. the dog walked over to the bird, picked it up with a soft mouth, and set it back down in the sun. the dog went back into the shade. she sat down and watched the bird wake up and fly away.

I like cats too though

aww :3:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

loquacius posted:

This one is 9/11-focused so I should probably preface it by saying it's a couple days old and was sent in on 9/11:

To the goon who wrote the 2013 boingboing piece on being in special ed: you didn’t deserve any of that, obviously. Thank you for talking about it. I recently got a autism diagnosis and while it’s frustrating to think I “slipped through the cracks” had I had to go through what you did I’d be far, far worse today. It’s also telling how your experience reads parallel to those about the Catholic orphanage in Vermont or the southern girls’ schools where “disobedient” teens would be locked into rooms forced to listen to some preacher recording for hours on end.

You’re valid and you’re not alone.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

collies are the best. they just want everyone to be safe :ohdear:

Son of Man fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 30, 2018

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Stylometry goon accused me of sending in the cat puzzle feshes and lol my wife and mom actually got mad at me for saying jigsaw puzzles are no more productive than video games a couple years ago

I make no apologies for being correct :colbert:

quote:

Therapy hasn't been working on me.

I've been through

1. Counselling.
2. Behavioural/occupational therapy.
3. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
4. Another round of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
5. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy.
6. Some kind of process involving a psychologist instead of a therapist that didn't have a technical name.

All kinds of medicines and the like have been thrown in at various times with these therapies. Mainly SSRIs.

I get the feeling it's not the approach, it's me.

All these therapy approaches amount to someone saying that you need to find some way to deal with your life's poo poo and/or do what you need to do in life. Maybe toward a specific goal or whatever. That's what I was expecting, but at some point in any therapy process it's like "hey I told you to do a thing did you do a thing? did it work?" The answer is yes, I usually complete the assignment or what have you, so we give ourselves a pat on the back. But 6 months after the therapy I'll learn that my poo poo is no different and what I learned in this practical exercise doesn't help with it.

No matter what kind of mystical veil they throw up or whatever weird mindfulness techniques they want to integrate into the approach, it's still poo poo. Oh but I'm supposed to meditate about the poo poo, feel the poo poo, think about my thoughts feelings and actions around the poo poo, do the poo poo regardless of how lovely it's poo poo, talk about the poo poo, so on and so forth. I do every last bit of it.

It's still poo poo. I'm not trying to get rid of it, because the one thing all this eastern stuff they want to put in my head is all about : being "with" the poo poo, accepting the poo poo. Doing the poo poo you need to do even when it is poo poo. Or how to deal with lovely thoughts and feelings and behaviours.

I'm honest with every therapist and I go in earnestly hoping that this next time might be different. I'm tired of it now. I'm wasting my time and money dancing around the poo poo without having any lasting result. Again I mention this each time I go in but it hasn't yet changed as I come out. That'd be fine if it weren't for one thing: whenever I bring up any issues I have, no one has an answer but "go see a therapist".

Yeah great.

"oh but next time might be different!"

I'm really losing hope there.

look if I were the optimist contented to keep beating my head against this kind of thing until I brute force strike gold with a system that works, I wouldn't be here to begin with. I used to be that optimist, I used to believe this time would be different. Now with an empty wallet and almost a decade of talking to shrinks under my belt, I want to know if you know what else is out there? Something I can believe in more than these psych-degree do-gooders please.

I mean, you've been kind of light on details regarding what your actual problem is; what exactly is it you're trying to get out of therapy? If it's a general lethargy and unproductive attitude, well, yeah, sometimes it can be really hard to stay motivated. Maybe try boot camp? I'm just spitballing here.

quote:

There's a woman at my new job was raped when she was in her twenties. Obviously that's terrible and no one deserves to have something so horrible happen to them, but she constantly brings up being a rape "survivor" and it's getting under my skin.

She didn't "survive" anything. If the guy had wanted to try and kill her he would have. It wasn't an attempted murder. It was a rape. Why the hell does she feel the need to make a rape seem somehow more traumatic?

I'm sure this is just me, but I think it's loving stupid and frankly (this is really gonna come off the wrong way, but can't think of another way to describe it) a little self aggrandizing.

I mean I'm sure you know I'm gonna tell you you're being pedantic and you really shouldn't care this much about how much someone who endured something terrible describes themselves vis-a-vis what happened to them

like, that's really the only possible response here

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

like, that's really the only possible response here

I feel like a survivor of that terrible confession

Hauki
May 11, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

I feel like a survivor of that terrible confession
hell, same

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Hauki posted:

hell, same

Let's start a group

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I don’t get the annoyance with the use of the term, specifically, but I DO get annoyance with people in general who insert their personal tragic history into every conversation. Like if I were to
go around being all “Oh, you hung out with your father at camp last weekend? MY DAD IS DEAD LET US TALK ABOUT IT.”

That said, what are you going to do? It likely wouldn’t be happening if she isn’t struggling with it and there’s no way that not acknowledging that fact doesn’t make you a dick.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Also, this is a particularly bad news week for US-based survivors of sexual assault, so maybe read the room a bit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't get what the second goon is complaining about. lots of rapes involve violence, some involve murder. being a survivor of rape is saying "i was raped and it was a horrible event that influences my present being", the same way you might say you were a survivor of 9/11 or a survivor of cancer.

if you're mad about the way that "survivor" is used to refer to an event that may not have been directly life-threatening, well, fine, to each their own. i personally dislike calling people who died of an illness "heroes" just because i think that's not the meaning of the term. but you gotta accept that people use it that way and just deal, buddy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh and first goon who says nothing works: it sounds like you're trying all kinds of therapy to make an untenable situation better. like maybe you think you should be inspired and excited to do your job, but you aren't, and so there's something wrong with you and you need therapy or drugs to fix it.

well guess what -- sometimes it isn't you, and the job just really does loving suck, and you can't fix that by changing yourself because there's nothing wrong with you. you just have to get a new job (or dump the girl, or move out of the city, or whatever) and that's hard but you gotta do it.

the fact that you've tried six different things suggests to me that maybe it's deeper than that, but when you don't say anything about what specifically you can't deal with, it makes me suspect that it's something obvious

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

A lot of the reason that people will describe themselves as a survivor of sexual assault, is because labelling yourself as a victim of sexual assault is sometimes seen as a sign of helplessness. Describing yourself as a survivor has a more positive mental effect. You can read more about it online, here is one link I found from a quick google http://helloflo.com/survivor-vs-victim-why-choosing-your-words-carefully-is-important/

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I always took it as saying you didn't let that experience destroy your life, either in a mental way or by driving you to suicide, both of which are certainly possible outcomes.

In any case it takes a particularly dense individual to react the way that poster did. Nobody is trying to say rape is the same thing as murder. The only reason you'd get upset about this is if you're trying to minimize the person's experience and tell them how they are "allowed" to react/describe it afterward, which is lovely.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

See, now that one seems like a puppet master confession.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
listen to this arrogant loving know it all. how the hell do you know it wasn't an attempted murder? that dude councils have beat her within an inch of her fuckin life for all he knows. are you that threatened by someone else's trauma that you have to jam head up your rear end and deny it even happened? go gently caress a moving train

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

GREETINGS FROM THE AVATARS FOR LOWTAXS SPINE FOUNDATION

As you all know buying avatars is nessicarry to fix lowtax's spine.
But I'm not sure if I should buy this avatar for someone who keeps blanking their avatar in a certain console game in Games everytime I give them a new avatarsome poor soul with a Stupid Newbie/Trump Lover avatar.

Something something
Keep paying lowtax for new avatars. It will turn him into RoboLowtax and we can see him throw a guy out a building window and later be seen flying a jetpack with a kid sidekick in tow then have two seperate cartoon series.

REGARDS
THE FOUNDER OF THE AVATARS FOR LOWTAXS SPINE FOUNDATION

It's maybe :nws: for weird giant-boob anime? No technical nudity but click with care regardless https://i.imgur.com/Qi4VHx7.jpg

The 25-year-old virgin goon sent in a followup:

quote:

In response to some of the advice from the thread: I did try making accounts on dating apps/sites before. I never got a single match/hit/message/whatever in like 2 years, so I gave up. I believe I said I wasn't good-looking before, but that's not really what I meant. It's not that I'm ugly, exactly. I am a bit ugly, but the bigger problem is really that I have resting serial killer face. I'm a very big guy and I'm incapable of taking a photo that doesn't look like it should be captioned "POLICE CONTINUE TO UNEARTH SKELETONS FROM BASEMENT GRAVEYARD". I've had a lot of people tell me(or tell someone else who then told me) that they find me intimidating even when I'm really trying not to be. There's just something about my face, and my mannerisms, I guess. I don't know, nobody's ever been able to explain it to me in a way that makes sense. I remember when I was a kid up until I was about 14 people who met me acted like they thought I was mentally retarded, and then I hit a big growth spurt and after that people just sort of uh, didn't talk to me. So, I don't expect dating sites to ever go anywhere for me because of that. And I'm not willing to make advances on anyone in person just because I feel like I'd probably end up scaring them. I don't want to bother people.

I mean, this is a good solid specific solveable problem so we're making progress

A good haircut would probably do you a lot of good. Nerds tend to throw $20 at whoever happens to be available at Supercuts because it's simple and they don't have to make small-talk, but it's really worth finding a well-reviewed barbershop and telling them to just gently caress you up fam (don't actually say this it's a joke). Throwing that out there because it's a simple effective fix. Similarly, try to dress better when possible.

From there on out, well, the phrase "you should smile more" has a bad rap lately but in the context of figuring out how to pose for pictures less creepily it's good advice. This sounds lame and dumb, but I think you should practice your picture face in a mirror, figure out which ways to hold yourself are least scary, and try to replicate that for pictures and/or when meeting people.

Comedy answer, go on Queer Eye

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Join a powerlifting gym, it's filled with giant socially awkward guys who look like they want to murder someone and the women that love them

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
just lol if you spend $20 on a haircut, that's 2 whole redtexts for some poster you're totally not mad about

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My wife cuts my hair but that's kind of a catch 22 solution

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Splicer posted:

My wife cuts my hair but that's kind of a catch 22 solution

Same here. Time before last she accidentally made it so I had to buzz my entire head.

Still better than being asked questions about what I want done to my head that I don’t know how to answer.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

burial posted:

Still better than being asked questions about what I want done to my head that I don’t know how to answer.

This really isn't that hard, you can be super vague

I just say "I don't want my hair TOO short, but clean it up around the sides and back and thin it out a little so my Jewfro doesn't get too Ronald-McDonaldy". That's enough direction that they feel comfortable deciding the rest themselves, and if you chose your barbershop well that'll turn out good in the end

but don't steal that verbatim unless you know for a fact that you really do have hair that is too thick, because for a lot of guys asking for their hair to be purposely thinned out is a terrible idea

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Find a haircut you like the look of. Literally show the person who is cutting your hair that picture. Look stupid as gently caress because you have no taste and got a mullet

burial
Sep 13, 2002

This may or may not be a rural issue. (There’s a good chance it isn’t, but.) A few weeks ago, I took my son to get a haircut at one of the local places and the girl was like “what do you want to have happen here?”

“Short, just not too short; anything you think would look stylish on him is fine because we won’t know any better” really didn’t seem like the answer she wanted. She managed in the end, but with much trepidation all around.

YOU’RE A PROFESSIONAL JEEZ.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Find a good barber, just tell them to use their best judgment

If and only if you're black and he's black i guess you could say gently caress me up fam

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

thanks anonymous puzzle doer, my gf and I just finished this one from white mountain and it was an absolute ball-buster

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah if you find a place that costs like $50 or more you will be able to take them a picture of a haircut you like and they will recreate it in a way that works for your head and face.

If you're feeling brave and want to change, you can also just tell them to give you something that's in style and let them decide. Be aware that most stylish haircuts need more work than just wash-and-dry, but if you're willing to spend a few minutes putting a little bit of stuff in your hair in the morning, that'll take you from "hey, you got a haircut" to "oh wow, that looks great."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A lot of good barbershops aren't even that expensive, Yelp/Google are your friend in finding them

Mine is around $25 or so and I've had good results with giving them vague broad rules, I haven't tried giving them concept art though so I dunno how well that'd go over

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

My anonymous confession is that I cut my own hair.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Also, confidence helps. I spent most of this summer with a blue mohawk despite being pretty bald on top and 47 years old. My initial motivation was to get into character for the Secret Cinema Blade Runner, but I liked it so much I kept it for weeks.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I just walk in, hand the barber a picture of SSJ3 Goku, and hope for the best.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Torquemada posted:

Also, confidence helps. I spent most of this summer with a blue mohawk despite being pretty bald on top and 47 years old. My initial motivation was to get into character for the Secret Cinema Blade Runner, but I liked it so much I kept it for weeks.

Looks like someone's living their best life

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Torquemada posted:

Also, confidence helps.

People are generally repelled by thirst. The only times I've been consistently approached by women are when I was 0% looking for the attention.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Resting Serial Killer, if you're in an urban place, you sound like a good candidate for a makeover.

I'm not necessarily talking Queer Eye, but going to a stylish place that offers clothes buying services, to give you some new look to play with top to bottom, and then paying $150 for a haircut. Hell, I've seen people change their look with big artsy thick-framed glasses to get super Euro - that looked surprisingly goofy without them on. That poo poo works.

Most 'serial killer' looking dudes look totally different with the right hair / modern collar cut / glasses / scarf to soften that poo poo up (Ok requires a cold climate but still). The important part is to be really honest with the stylists about what you need, and shop around a bit - interview with a few before you 'hire' one.

I did that myself, and holy poo poo it made a huge difference. Zero to hero. I had trouble reacting to the positive attention for a while because I had gone so long without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My haircuts cost $50 and I get a head rub, two shampoos, and spirited conversation from a crazy hippy girl that truly believes in karma. It's pricey as hell, but they make me look more like a banker instead of a crazy homeless man asking millionaires for their money. Once I'm retired I'm rocking a mohawk again. Old rear end in a top hat dude with a gray mohawk. I can't loving wait.