Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

im depressed lol posted:

Also, :lol: just find Jesus man:
i'm a jew bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
On a personal level, if everyone reduced their CO2 emissions to 1T/yr I believe that would be a good start. This means what you'd expect: no car/air travel, go vegan, if you gotta buy furniture/clothes/etc buy used.
These things are all trivial if you live in a city, but might be challenging for rural folk.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

avshalemon posted:

i'm a jew bitch
I still encourage you to find Jesus. Many Christians in the United States would follow a lifestyle of less consumption if the second coming told them to.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mata posted:

On a personal level, if everyone reduced their CO2 emissions to 1T/yr I believe that would be a good start. This means what you'd expect: no car/air travel, go vegan, if you gotta buy furniture/clothes/etc buy used.

How would everyone buying used work?

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

im depressed lol posted:

I still encourage you to find Jesus. Many Christians in the United States would follow a lifestyle of less consumption if the second coming told them to.
you loving loon. i am a prophet of the lord and am living a lifestyle powered by donkeys and sun

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

im depressed lol posted:

Please don’t encourage people to engage in divine worship or other forms of superstition, it’s really not going to help in any of the issues of the modern world.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i am going to kill every single one of you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i will grind you down into mince to feed the chickens of the new millennium

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

How would everyone buying used work?

In theory it probably wouldn't, just as its not really feasible for motorism to disappear overnight, but "If no new clothes are produced how will newborn babies stay warm" is not such a pressing issue that it should discourage people from reusing clothes and reducing their waste & consumption.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

when the people of the new millennium live in strange underground tunnels and feed on genetically modified chickens grown in subterranean barns and fed upon the flesh of those less fortunate, only then will i be recognised as the greatest genius of our time

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

it's also absurdly expensive particularly when you consider the limited availability of uranium

Which is an insane misperception since we have tens of thousands of years worth in seawater. We just have to extract it.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Lol if you think the coming ecofascist regimes aren’t going to impose vegetarianism on the proles

Chickens, ha! You decadent swine

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Please don’t encourage people to engage in divine worship or other forms of superstition, it’s really not going to help in any of the issues of the modern world.

I'm not suggesting we encourage divine worship. What I am proposing is we utilize an already existing network of communication. And also based on everything I've read Jesus is pretty cool.

We need to comb the Earth searching for the only son of God in a real, physical sense until we find him. We will then convince the Christ (verified by various religions and DNA tests) of the gravity of situation facing all life on the planet, and he will speak from a position of authority to change the hearts and minds of billions. Many CEO's of the most polluting corporations identify as Christian, or at least are interested in maintaining a Christian consumer base.

If climate change is to be addressed before the whole of civilization collapses, we have to utilize existing belief structures. It is impossible to change the entrenched world view of millions in the time-frame necessary to avoid catastrophe in any other way*.

If we do not find Christ at least we can live with ourselves having done something. :shrug:

Edit:*

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 2, 2018

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

fools and bitches. not one of you will be alive in one hundred years

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Lol if you think the coming ecofascist regimes aren’t going to impose vegetarianism on the proles

Chickens, ha! You decadent swine
idiot! where is the waste going to go? where are the inedible plant parts going to go? where is the spoiled food going to go? you tell me that, you moron, you absolute pleb of the past age

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

im depressed lol posted:

We need to comb the Earth searching for the only son of God in a real, physical sense until we find him.
it's me hth

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

KetTarma posted:

Which is an insane misperception since we have tens of thousands of years worth in seawater. We just have to extract it.

We have many hundreds of years left in just the nuclear fuel we already have. We just use uranium very inefficiently because breeder reactors are banned for cold war reasons and because uranium is so comically cheap so it doesn't matter if we only use 2% of the energy then throw it away and get more so no one worries hard about wasting a hundred dollars of uranium metal in a billion dollar plant.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

avshalemon posted:

i've asked this several times and got no answer but i'll ask again, are any of you actually doing anything or are you just sitting in your air-conditioned city apartments going DURR HURR about poo poo you have never seen firsthand and know absolutely nothing about

i am attempting to breed chickens that have no eyes. eyes are the window to the soul and we have allowed our sinful souls to escape through them. they fled into the world, increasing its temperature and reducing the prevalence of the spiritual balance of nature, leading to the increased temperatures. chickens are an ideal test bird because their little dinosaur souls don't add to the harm already caused. once i have achieved my goal the chickens will grow to ten times the size due to internal soul pressure, solving all meat problems for all time as they will immediately turn on humanity and devour us in their blind and justified ancient rage.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

avshalemon posted:

idiot! where is the waste going to go? where are the inedible plant parts going to go? where is the spoiled food going to go? you tell me that, you moron, you absolute pleb of the past age

Deep down into the ground, so they can transform into coal and oil over the next aeons. This way the civilization that is born of our ashes can make the same mistakes we made and in turn die because of us. Let it be known that the sixth and the seventh global extinctions will have been our doing, dozens of millions of years apart!

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mata posted:

These things are all trivial if you live in a city, but might be challenging for rural folk.
found it! we did it guys we found the solution

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we need a reverse pol-pot

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

avshalemon posted:

i am going to kill every single one of you

I'm sure lowtax appreciates the contribution to his bonespurts fund, but is continuously evading your permaban to post stuff like this really worth the :10bux:?

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 2, 2018

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

KetTarma posted:

how expensive is seawater extraction and how long will it take to develop mature industrial-scale processes for extracting it

i'm not personally endorsing being concerned over cost but it's pretty loving myopic to expect that a capitalist world would opt for a more expensive avenue vs renewables (and even that's not going to happen (we're hosed))

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jonah Galtberg posted:

it's pretty loving myopic to expect that a capitalist world

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

avshalemon posted:

"fart fart farrrrrrt" - cows

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress supply side jesus i'm fractional reserve gaia

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Mata posted:

Then a low carbon footprint is a luxury good and by definition is not a personal choice for the majority of the population. They can't afford it. People can't control if what powers their home is a coal plant, or if they have to spend 2+ hours in a car because they can't afford to work and live in the same place. These problems are not individual, they are structural and have to be addressed at that level.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

avshalemon posted:

i've asked this several times and got no answer but i'll ask again, are any of you actually doing anything or are you just sitting in your air-conditioned city apartments going DURR HURR about poo poo you have never seen firsthand and know absolutely nothing about

Shifty Nipples posted:

I have never in my life driven a car, I live in a duplex, I have a garden (and also chickens), we planted an apple tree in our backyard, and I don't think there is any Kudzu in Oregon.

That's all nice things to tell people they can do though.

e: The garden thing always makes me chuckle because the way I was raised it would be weird to not have a garden if you have the space for it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Jonah Galtberg posted:

how expensive is seawater extraction and how long will it take to develop mature industrial-scale processes for extracting it

Uranium is as common as tin or zinc, there is many many hundreds of years of uranium left in mines, with that extending to TENS OF THOUSANDS of years with breeder reactors. There is absolutely no realistic worry about running out of uranium basically ever.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Twinkie posted:

Then a low carbon footprint is a luxury good and by definition is not a personal choice for the majority of the population. They can't afford it. People can't control if what powers their home is a coal plant, or if they have to spend 2+ hours in a car because they can't afford to work and live in the same place. These problems are not individual, they are structural and have to be addressed at that level.

this is total bullshit that only suburban broke-brains can spew

how is it that the city is simultaneously full of poor homeless druggies *and* too expensive for anyone to consider moving to

cities are loving cheaper than burbs 95% of the time, poor people already know this, thats why they live there.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Iron Twinkie posted:

Nearly everyone who lives in the west must lower their carbon footprint tremendously. We can't afford not to.
If just the people who had the luxury of lowering theirs chose to do so, ecological collapse would be averted.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i would rather light the entirety of NYC on fire than live here

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

StabbinHobo posted:

this is total bullshit that only suburban broke-brains can spew

how is it that the city is simultaneously full of poor homeless druggies *and* too expensive for anyone to consider moving to

cities are loving cheaper than burbs 95% of the time, poor people already know this, thats why they live there.

Man, this is such a cartoon image of urban and suburban demographics.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

StabbinHobo posted:

You are saying that cities are cheaper because you can be a homeless person?

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Mata posted:

Nearly everyone who lives in the west must lower their carbon footprint tremendously. We can't afford not to.
If just the people who had the luxury of lowering theirs chose to do so, ecological collapse would be averted.

Does that apply to the nearly 80% of Americans living paycheck to paycheck? My point is is that if people lowering their carbon footprints on an individual basis was a viable solution, it would have been done already. Bear in mind also that when we talk about individual carbon footprints, we're still negotiating on the margins. Just 100 companies are responsible for 71% of the carbon we've put into the atmosphere.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustain...-climate-change

Our problems are structural and if we have any hope of addressing climate change that structure has to be changed.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Oxxidation posted:

i would rather light the entirety of NYC on fire than live here

On that note, the current population NYC proper is about 8.5 million. How in the god drat gently caress is a city like that going to evacuate ahead of a climate change supercharged natural disaster or it's aftermath when it's rendered uninhabitable? How is that going to get any better by telling America's 325 million people to go cattle car themselves into some even larger, dystopian mega city?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Centralization is good and people who are opposed to high density living are morons on par with the anti-nuke crowd.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Twinkie posted:

On that note, the current population NYC proper is about 8.5 million. How in the god drat gently caress is a city like that going to evacuate ahead of a climate change supercharged natural disaster or it's aftermath when it's rendered uninhabitable? How is that going to get any better by telling America's 325 million people to go cattle car themselves into some even larger, dystopian mega city?

During the Rwandan genocide 250,000 refugees crossed a single bridge in 24 hours, on foot. With proper organization it's possible that all of New York's inhabitants could be evacuated to higher ground in as little as a week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_refugee_crisis

quote:

On 28—29 April, 250,000 people crossed the bridge at Rusumo Falls into Ngara, Tanzania in 24 hours in what the UNHCR agency called "the largest and fastest refugee exodus in modern times".

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

qkkl posted:

During the Rwandan genocide 250,000 refugees crossed a single bridge in 24 hours, on foot. With proper organization it's possible that all of New York's inhabitants could be evacuated to higher ground in as little as a week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_refugee_crisis

Compared to 8,500,000 that is a rounding error. I'm not saying that the logistics are impossible, but they would be absolutely massive and require a great deal of resources, planning, and regular drills for both emergency personnel and the citizenry so they know what to do. None of that happens by accident. If things go wrong or are never done in the first place millions of people will die. I seriously doubt any of that planning would be done and feel like said millions dying an unburried death is an unspoken part of the solution.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ahaha this loving owns, i've argued with burbtrash a lot and no one has ever tried "you can't evacuate cities from the oncoming disasters fast enough" yet

loving points for crazy rear end creativity

you stupid rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Iron Twinkie posted:

Compared to 8,500,000 that is a rounding error. I'm not saying that the logistics are impossible, but they would be absolutely massive and require a great deal of resources, planning, and regular drills for both emergency personnel and the citizenry so they know what to do. None of that happens by accident. If things go wrong or are never done in the first place millions of people will die. I seriously doubt any of that planning would be done and feel like said millions dying an unburried death is an unspoken part of the solution.

Why would all of NYC need to be evacuated at once and quickly? That doesn't make sense. Even some superstorm wouldn't flood the entire metro, only the low lying areas.

If we're talking about longterm changes like increasing mean high tides, then either we build the infrastructure to protect a populated area or those people are pushed out over the course of years.

If we're talking doomsay food shortages or whatever, well not much use evacuating anywhere at that point if you can't feed the people centralized, you can't feed them dispersed.

Edit: regardless, NYC is one of the cities leading the charge to respond and mitigate climate change. You know why? It is huge and rich as gently caress. Of course they're going to build the seawalls to protect Wall Street. Will there be poor neighborhoods hosed? Probably. But the city is responding to climate change.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 2, 2018