Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Grundulum posted:

Invite sent to Gem Boiz. If you accept in the next few hours you can reap the rewards of the weekly lootsplosion.

Thanks, it is good to be back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Okay, some mid-game questions (lvl 662):

I just got my first Major Orb of Ascension from something or other -- does anyone have thoughts on the best use for this? My Sunbird is almost legendary already so then I can use a regular Orb of Ascension on it. Other than that not sure which of my troops would really really benefit most from it--one of the Guild-War-only troops? I don't currently use any, but would those be useful somewhere?

And I just got enough diamonds to craft my first mythic in the Soulforge. I got pretty lucky with drops so far and currently have Ubastet, Infernus, and Abynissia. Any thoughts on some potential mythics I might want to craft next? Pharos-Ra, definitely, but I just missed Pharos-Ra by a couple weeks and not sure how long it'll be till he comes around again. (Current main teams: I use the Divine team for hard fights & PVP, Sunbird/Firebombx2 for fast explore, Elspeth-Dragon Soul-Zombie-Zombie for explore with soul farming.)

edit VVV: thank you!

onefish fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 24, 2018

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
If you want to soul farm, then wait for Pharos Ra.

As a late game player, I would use a major orb of ascension on a hard to obtain low base rarity troop for kingdom power, like the guild wars reward troops or the new underworld troops for instance. Other than that, there's only a handful of utility ultra rares that I might consider if I used them a lot, like Giant Spider.

I hit 10 stars on Whitehelm and Swords Edge by using orbs on the new underworld troops.

Gargoyle is a top tier troop for guild wars, Similar to Ubastet and can tank.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

onefish posted:

Okay, some mid-game questions (lvl 662):

I just got my first Major Orb of Ascension from something or other -- does anyone have thoughts on the best use for this? My Sunbird is almost legendary already so then I can use a regular Orb of Ascension on it. Other than that not sure which of my troops would really really benefit most from it--one of the Guild-War-only troops? I don't currently use any, but would those be useful somewhere?

And I just got enough diamonds to craft my first mythic in the Soulforge. I got pretty lucky with drops so far and currently have Ubastet, Infernus, and Abynissia. Any thoughts on some potential mythics I might want to craft next? Pharos-Ra, definitely, but I just missed Pharos-Ra by a couple weeks and not sure how long it'll be till he comes around again. (Current main teams: I use the Divine team for hard fights & PVP, Sunbird/Firebombx2 for fast explore, Elspeth-Dragon Soul-Zombie-Zombie for explore with soul farming.)

I'd save a Major Orb of Ascension for eventually crafting Zuul'Goth, as mediocre as he is. The better troops are usually higher rarity, and the higher rarity the target, the more wasteful it is to use the Major Orb.

If you still need souls, Pharos-Ra is worth saving for. We just started a new Mythic cycle in the forge, so it could come up any time in the next several weeks. Right now it takes about 8 weeks to get through all the mythics in the Soul Forge before it shuffles and starts over.

After that and since you already have Infernus (and Ubastet), Famine and Ketras are probably in the next power tier. Lots of people like Gard. I'm a fan of Draakulis for guild wars. Worldbreaker, Plague, and Elemaugrim are pretty useful too.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Raid talk; I've hit on a team I like that moves pretty quick. No losses so far, and nothing close.

Halfgrim Half-Giant ***
Earth's Fury (Titan Class)
Hyndla Frostcrown ***
Skrymir the Lofty ***
Kraken Banner

I'm using Skrymir to boost and barrier Halfgrim, and Hyndla to freeze things. Earth's fury is for the not bosses, to get rid of their insane armor. Boosting everyones attack. The nice thing about Halfgrim is his spell is augmented by his health, so he can do some incredible damage even to non-bosses.

Anyone else?

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

porktree posted:

Raid talk; I've hit on a team I like that moves pretty quick. No losses so far, and nothing close.

Halfgrim Half-Giant ***
Earth's Fury (Titan Class)
Hyndla Frostcrown ***
Skrymir the Lofty ***
Kraken Banner

I'm using Skrymir to boost and barrier Halfgrim, and Hyndla to freeze things. Earth's fury is for the not bosses, to get rid of their insane armor. Boosting everyones attack. The nice thing about Halfgrim is his spell is augmented by his health, so he can do some incredible damage even to non-bosses.

Anyone else?

I feel like this week's raid will be among the easier ones, given that Titan is the best class in the game and it synergizes so nicely with all the Giants in Stormheim. I'm using

Dawnbringer (Titan) ***
Halfgrim Half-Giant ***
Hyndla Frostcrown***
Jotnar Stormshield ***
with the Kraken Banner

and so far it's been a cakewalk. The Titan hero can tank with the free barriers from matching browns (or picking them up from Jotnar), and starts every one of your troops off with half mana. With Hyndla's 3rd trait, every 4- or 5-match increases Halfgrim's magic by effectively 3 (2 from the trait plus 3 life that boosts the damage by 1), which is multiplied against the boss. With dawnbringer and Jotnar there's a lot of barriers going around, so your troops are usually safe from anything the non-boss troops try to do. Plus, every troop is a giant, so if you fire off the dawnbringer when Jotnar has full mana, his spell next turn is doing an extra 56 true damage. With his magic also being boosted on every 4 and 5 match, I've had him do 100+ true damage to an enemy.

Since the class event was last week, hopefully newer players got to level their Titans some. For anyone who doesn't understand how great Titan is:

At Level 40 you get the talent that gives a free barrier on brown matches, which adds insanely to his survivabilty. You can leave skull matches early game (at the higher raid levels, most of your damage output isn't from skulls anyway), and instead take a brown match, which fills, say, Halfgrim and wastes the enemy's turn on your barrier. Together with the Impact talent (which is level 1), that's also a free stun against the troop that hit you. The real game-changer is level 70, when Lightning Strike gives you a free explosion every time you match 4. It's hard to overstate how useful that is. It gives you so much incidental mana gain (without wasting a turn), plus it often pops a skull which can clear out barriers on lead troops (great for Invasion events). It can set off Doomskull cascades. For Delves, it's free explosions that can destroy the stone blocks. It's basically good for everything all the time. Oh, and his third trait guarantees he always starts with 50% mana.

Definitely the class to build up first. I put a hero in my traitstone grinding team (Hero (usually with Sword of Heroes for something cheap and blue), Sunbird, Fire Bomb, Forest Guardian) so I grind up talents while exploring for traitstones. You don't lose much speed, and if you're already at the part of the game where traitstones are the bottleneck, at least you're grinding something else useful at the same time. It's probably not worth it to get Titan up to Talent level 100, although it also gets probably the best level 100 talent in the game with Fortitude (immune to Stun, Poison, Disease, Death Mark, and Devour).

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Don’t forget that Valkyrie is an option. She feeds the event troop, Hyndla, Jotnar, and a possible hero weapon if you don’t run with Mang or Earth’s Fury.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I was playing a match against some random titan hero who was using the weapon that refills your health and is cheap to cast, can't remember the name. Between constant heals back up to over 100 health and the brown match barriers it took forever for my full team to take down the solo hero.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Can I use a hero if going for faction-only delves?

Don't forget to buy the Jar of Eyes if you missed it last time like I did.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

waffles beyond waffles posted:

Can I use a hero if going for faction-only delves?

Don't forget to buy the Jar of Eyes if you missed it last time like I did.

Where can you buy the jar of eyes?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Where can you buy the jar of eyes?

Under Games -> Faction Event, then in the Shop tab.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I played this years ago. Is it still actively updated then? Is there stuff to do late-game? New stuff showing up every now and then?

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 25, 2018

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

I played this years ago. Is it still actively updated then? Is there stuff to do late-game?

It's updated very frequently. Some would argue there's now too much to do given all the updates over the past year (I wouldn't, but some would.)

Late-game content still exists for sure. Guild Wars, Delves, Raids/Invasions are all relevant late-game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Disillusionist posted:

Under Games -> Faction Event, then in the Shop tab.

Perfect thanks! Took me a second to actually see it there.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Perfect thanks! Took me a second to actually see it there.

Is it worth it? 410 gems? Plus now I'll feel obligated to play the faction event. Asking for a friend.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

porktree posted:

Is it worth it? 410 gems? Plus now I'll feel obligated to play the faction event. Asking for a friend.

Jar of Eyes is a great weapon. It explodes and summons, which is useful in Delves. After upgrading it also drains Mana from the enemy's lead troop, among other things.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Good for guild wars too, if you want a green or blue exploder that's more useful than Captain Skullbeard. Which a high level Titan class most certainly is.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I wonder how many gems I've wasted trying to quickly hit skip then continue after a match but then accidentally pressing refresh.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

New class event: good and worth doing or waste of time?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ultimate Mango posted:

New class event: good and worth doing or waste of time?

Seems pretty waste of time to me. You can't get past round 2 without buying event tokens or I had terrible luck with ravens because I didn't miss any or lose any fights.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
The class itself is great. No free barriers, but can get Fast, 20% spell block, and lightning strike (explode a yellow on 4 or 5 matches). The freeze chance is a little low, honestly it should be 100% chance, and the weapon is pretty average. I did the event until I ran out of tokens, but I don't think I will buy more until I finish the raid.

Jar of Eyes is pretty great. With the explosion nerf, running two exploders with two Mythics of choice seems pretty good. Jar works well with Divinia or Gorgotha. Then any solid mythics that work well and can soak up all of the blue mana, like Weaver and Megavore, Gard and Suna, Megavore and Famine.

For Raid Bois, I have been using Titan/Jar of Eyes, Halfgrim, the giant queen, and Jotnar. Jotnar and Halfgrim hit for 90+ damage, and the two summoners keep the roster full. Halfgrim canbtake out the boss in two casts and then it's just clean up.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The raid is pretty easy if you can ascend Halfgrim even once (you can buy him from the raid store). He one shots the boss for the first 100 levels. Even more if you take someone who can raise his health. Plus, the other giants are all fun to play with.

kanser
Jun 5, 2011
Taking a break for a bit from this game for a bit. I don’t know how long. 900 days in the guild lol.

Good luck guys

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Wow. I haven’t had as much time this week to do Raids, but everyone else in Gem Boiz really stepped up. I am going to try to hammer out my sigils in the next few hours, and that should put us close to that next reward. If you’ve been sitting on sigils so far this looks like a really easy raid. Use Titan class for your hero for the fast start, and watch as everything crumbles before you. If you have the legendary ingots to spare, Earth’s Fury will give you Enraged on cast. In addition to the boost to attack.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Can I get an invite to a goon guild please

Invite code: FUNSO BANJO_KQCO

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Funso Banjo posted:

Can I get an invite to a goon guild please

Invite code: FUNSO BANJO_KQCO

Invite sent to Gem Boiz.

It may be time to give everyone in the guild invite privileges. Let’s make this diffusion of responsibility issue worse.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Reminder to everyone that this week there is a new mythic troop being released. Play the game as normal, but make sure to collect all your guild seals. Once the Friday reset rolls around, we can start spending Orbs of Clans to push our weekly seal total above 40k and make those chests better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grundulum posted:

Reminder to everyone that this week there is a new mythic troop being released. Play the game as normal, but make sure to collect all your guild seals. Once the Friday reset rolls around, we can start spending Orbs of Clans to push our weekly seal total above 40k and make those chests better.

Excellent! I've got a few burning a hole in my pocket.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What are people using for invasions this week?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

What are people using for invasions this week?

I would also like to know this...

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

I would also like to know this...

Sooo, so far;

Yao Guai ***
Fleshripper *** (Titan)
Sifu Yuan ***
Diviner ***

Although I feel like Fleshripper is a little weak, and maybe I should have a weapon that boosts allies stats; Earth Fury or Yasmines Pride.

I'm using Meteor Banner right now, but I'll switch that out if I switch the hero. I welcome any advice that doesn't include Dawnbringer :)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I've been using
Progress Banner
Sifu Yuan ***
Yao Guai ***
Thorn Knight ***
Lady Anareil***

Working pretty good so far. They all kinda feed each other and the event troop gets mana super drat fast. I'm only on level 40 though so I am sure this falls apart eventually lol.

Thejaff
Jun 14, 2002
Bines au lard
Ive been using

Mountain Crusher +9 (Titan)
Sifu Yuan
Arachnean Weaver
Diviner
Talon Banner

I'll bump Sifu to first spot once I reach 4 towers

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I'd feel more comfortable with Sifu Yuan in the front spot if I had something to barrier him. As it is I think only the Dark Priestess can do that (at a cost).

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

porktree posted:

I'd feel more comfortable with Sifu Yuan in the front spot if I had something to barrier him.

I hear Dawnbringer is pretty good! :q:

I think I am set on crafting Arachnean Weaver next. It definitely would have been nice to have this week.

I'm just getting started, but so far I'm rolling with:

Bear Banner
Titan +9 Mountain Crusher
Sifu Yuan
Yao Guai
Lady Anariel

It's okay. Might swap Sifu and Yao, but it's early and it might just suck when I get to full towers.

Bandire fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 1, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'm surprised more teams aren't using Emperor Liang as their gem gen. What makes Diviner/Lady Anariel a better choice. I'd have thought being able to pick the color would give you a lot of extra flexibility over the other two.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Weaver isn't as good against towers, since they can't be webbed. Plus it shares the colors of the the best Legendaries, Yao Guai and Emporer Liang.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OK yeah my team is stalling out at level 70.

Sifu Yuan only does 100 damage to a tower so yeah...

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

OK yeah my team is stalling out at level 70.

Sifu Yuan only does 100 damage to a tower so yeah...

At Sifu's max level it's 155, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thejaff
Jun 14, 2002
Bines au lard

waffles beyond waffles posted:

Weaver isn't as good against towers, since they can't be webbed. Plus it shares the colors of the the best Legendaries, Yao Guai and Emporer Liang.

Maybe once I get to tower level 105+ it's gonna be struggling, but at 95, Weaver is still great. Sifu's damage isnt very high, but target the last tower, finish it with Weaver who fills back Sifu/Crusher/Diviner, rince and repeat. It's been cake to get to 95, but it might struggle later on. Yao Guai would serve the same purpose but I prefer the board explosion, and Diviner is a great complement to Weaver and Sifu.

quote:

I'm surprised more teams aren't using Emperor Liang as their gem gen. What makes Diviner/Lady Anariel a better choice. I'd have thought being able to pick the color would give you a lot of extra flexibility over the other two.

Personally, because I'm using Mountain Crusher and create Duststorms, it's really easy to fill up Diviner.

Thejaff fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 2, 2018