Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I’m looking for a horror movie, (it seemed like it was Italian, so it could be one by Argento or Fulci?) that I saw part of last year.

I only caught the end of it but a man was exchanging shots and in a cat-and-mouse with another man and they seemed to be in a maze-like morgue or hospital. The dead were appearing as unkillable ghouls and coming after them both. I remember gory close ups of shots hitting a ghoul with bandages all over its head, but a shot to the head didn’t kill it. I also seem to remember a woman that had either become a ghoul, was killed by the ghouls or both. I think at the end it was just the hero running out of ammo and trying to find the exit as the ghouls converged on him. It seemed really claustrophobic.

Sorry I can’t give a better description, it was on during a Halloween party, but I think the host was playing movies all by one director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Lucio Fulci's The Beyond, part of his Gates of Hell trilogy.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Detective Thompson posted:

Lucio Fulci's The Beyond, part of his Gates of Hell trilogy.

Hey thanks! I looked up the plot and about the only bit of that I had right was ‘Italian man shoots at ghouls’.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

I’m looking for a horror movie, (it seemed like it was Italian, so it could be one by Argento or Fulci?) that I saw part of last year.

I only caught the end of it but a man was exchanging shots and in a cat-and-mouse with another man and they seemed to be in a maze-like morgue or hospital. The dead were appearing as unkillable ghouls and coming after them both. I remember gory close ups of shots hitting a ghoul with bandages all over its head, but a shot to the head didn’t kill it. I also seem to remember a woman that had either become a ghoul, was killed by the ghouls or both. I think at the end it was just the hero running out of ammo and trying to find the exit as the ghouls converged on him. It seemed really claustrophobic.

Sorry I can’t give a better description, it was on during a Halloween party, but I think the host was playing movies all by one director.

I'm sure Detective Thompson is correct and your movie is The Beyond, but just in case... Is this your head-bandaged ghoul?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Which Jackie Chan film includes the gag where he's being chased down an alley on a bike and he knocks on a door as he passes, causing his pursuer to be knocked off his bike by someone opening the door?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't remember if this is a tv show or movie, but in it, one of the characters, when listening to someone talk, continually puts together the first initials of all the words spoken.

So asking "Hey, how are you today?" is HHAYT to them.

I should mention that this was such a minor throwaway line, that now I'm starting to doubt whether it was actually in a show or movie. Actually, it might've been them counting the letters of each word as they hear them. So the same example sentence, to them, would obviously be 33335

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 22, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pilchenstein posted:

Which Jackie Chan film includes the gag where he's being chased down an alley on a bike and he knocks on a door as he passes, causing his pursuer to be knocked off his bike by someone opening the door?

Project A

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Cheers :)

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Hey thanks! I looked up the plot and about the only bit of that I had right was ‘Italian man shoots at ghouls’.

I would say you got more than one thing right, there is one of the ghouls that can't be killed, they're in a morgue in a hospital, lots of shooting, someone turns into a ghoul, things get weird and labyrinthine toward the end. I certainly could be wrong, though it sounds an awful lot like The Beyond, aside from the cat and mouse part, really. You could have conflated some parts from some other movies from that night, maybe. If you don't already have it, an easy way to find out is to sign up for a free trial of Shudder. It's on there, along with The House by the Cemetery, another of the Gates of Hell trilogy. And City of the Living Dead is on Amazon Prime if you have that. Though I think The Beyond is the best one of those three.

The picture Sir Nose posted is from The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue, also known by like a dozen other titles, another neat Italian/Spanish zombie movie. But that one ends quite differently, though it might be something you got mixed up since the climax happens in a hospital with zombies wandering around.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't remember if this is a tv show or movie, but in it, one of the characters, when listening to someone talk, continually puts together the first initials of all the words spoken.

So asking "Hey, how are you today?" is HHAYT to them.

I should mention that this was such a minor throwaway line, that now I'm starting to doubt whether it was actually in a show or movie. Actually, it might've been them counting the letters of each word as they hear them. So the same example sentence, to them, would obviously be 33335
I can’t remember if he does it in the older stuff but in the very recent Peewee movie on Netflix he does it a lot.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Akuma posted:

I can’t remember if he does it in the older stuff but in the very recent Peewee movie on Netflix he does it a lot.
I haven't seen that yet, so that's not it. But I appreciate it! :shobon:

Edit: for all I know, this was from an episode of House or something.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Detective Thompson posted:

I would say you got more than one thing right, there is one of the ghouls that can't be killed, they're in a morgue in a hospital, lots of shooting, someone turns into a ghoul, things get weird and labyrinthine toward the end. I certainly could be wrong, though it sounds an awful lot like The Beyond, aside from the cat and mouse part, really. You could have conflated some parts from some other movies from that night, maybe. If you don't already have it, an easy way to find out is to sign up for a free trial of Shudder. It's on there, along with The House by the Cemetery, another of the Gates of Hell trilogy. And City of the Living Dead is on Amazon Prime if you have that. Though I think The Beyond is the best one of those three.

The picture Sir Nose posted is from The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue, also known by like a dozen other titles, another neat Italian/Spanish zombie movie. But that one ends quite differently, though it might be something you got mixed up since the climax happens in a hospital with zombies wandering around.

Nah you had it right; reading the synopsis I remembered seeing a couple of the death bits like the acid face. Those Italian horror films are kind of a trip anyway.

And I’ll check out the movie Sir Nose suggested too; I’m always happy for new, weird horror films.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Polka_Rapper posted:

I don't think this is the film, but it was the first thing I thought of. It hits a few of the points but the overall plot is much different. I'll keep looking for something that matches.

Retro Futurist posted:

I don’t know it off the top of my head but I remember the trailer and Adrian Brody is in it

E: maybe not, I’m thinking of Wrecked which sounds a bit different

I watched both of these to see if either was it.
Turns out it was wrecked, I had a plane crash in my mind but it was definitely the car crash. Everything else fit, though the twist wasn't that he was the bad guy, he spends the whole movie thinking he was the bad guy, but TWIST! He was the good guy all along!

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I'm pretty sure what I'm thinking of comes from Mr. Show or another sketch-like show but I'm not quite sure. I really don't know much about the preticular sketch other than it utilized this sort of in camera trick to create the illusion of being able to hover with your legs like in this music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RvdkbpqKMg&t=110s

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Raspberry Bang posted:

I'm pretty sure what I'm thinking of comes from Mr. Show or another sketch-like show but I'm not quite sure. I really don't know much about the preticular sketch other than it utilized this sort of in camera trick to create the illusion of being able to hover with your legs like in this music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RvdkbpqKMg&t=110s

Starting around 1:30 into this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdOr4msUyWc

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

That is exactly it. Thanks!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Here's a scene I can't place. Would've been 80's or 90's, may have been a comedy skit. It starts with a close-up of a crosswalk call button (the big convex metal button from that era), zooming out slightly to see a guy waiting to cross. He presses the button once, waits, then crosses. Next, a young woman starts pressing the call button multiple times. Her turn comes and she crosses. Finally, a third person comes up to the crosswalk button and presses it. Then something happens, I can't remember what.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I haven't seen that yet, so that's not it. But I appreciate it! :shobon:

Edit: for all I know, this was from an episode of House or something.

When i first read your description I thought it reminded me of an episode of House where a guy's brain gets scrambled and he can understand what we're saying but when he tries to communicate back it's all garbled. So House would ask what was wrong with him, he'd start yelling about polar bears, in the end he's been trying to communicate that he's bipolar. Is that it?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

Here's a scene I can't place. Would've been 80's or 90's, may have been a comedy skit. It starts with a close-up of a crosswalk call button (the big convex metal button from that era), zooming out slightly to see a guy waiting to cross. He presses the button once, waits, then crosses. Next, a young woman starts pressing the call button multiple times. Her turn comes and she crosses. Finally, a third person comes up to the crosswalk button and presses it. Then something happens, I can't remember what.

This?

https://vimeo.com/24757506

https://vimeo.com/24757506

Lamanda
Apr 18, 2003

I saw this one on TV in the late 80:s or early 90:s. During WW2 a small german platoon, one officer and maybe 5 soldiers, comes to a farmstead and executes a guys family. He then proceeds to take revenge on he soldiers. It wasn't really an action film, more of a thriller. I think it was in french and german so maybe a french or belgian film. The only scene I remember is the man hiding in a well with a shotgun. Any ideas?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Yep that's the one! Didn't occur to me to check old SNL skits for that, it was so lame.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I'm looking for a Japanese anime cartoon I caught about five minutes of. It was a Spanish dub as I was abroad and on a kids Saturday morning cartoon channel.

There's a boy and a girl in a bedroom and the girl is picked up by these walking turnip creatures and carried away. The boy is about to give chase until a giant blue cat emerges from a drawer and offers to help him.

They give chase to the now army of turnip men while riding giant aubergines with matchsticks for legs, crashing into two guys they know who also volunteer with the chase.

Fake edit: whilst typing this I've found said cartoon. It was called Doraemon

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was there a film version of The Tempest where Ariel reappears at the end with Prospero's staff and book, prepared to re-enslave Caliban and rule over the island?

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

A high school friend put this on in a lab years ago, so it must have been 2005-06, and I think it must have been fairly recent given its look. It was almost certainly Scandinavian. We only watched the first 20 minutes or so, which I think were completely dialogue-free. It consisted of lots of tableaux of very pristine rooms in some Scandinavian city at night, and which were always grotesque (though I don't remember most of the details). I mostly remember naked old men as recurring image. Up to the point that we watched, I couldn't really tell you what kind of story it was leading to.

A bit late but I was catching up and I don't think this got answered... Sounds a lot like Songs from the Second Floor by Roy Andersson from 2000.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I rented an animated movie in the mid 90's. The setting was Japan or China. A little panda might have been a character, and maybe a young lady too. The strongest memory I have is a shot of a guy polishing something like a gong or a bell with a rag, puffing a bit of breath on it, then continuing polishing it.

Heisanevilgenius
Sep 2, 2007
I remember being shown part of a movie as a kid. It was some kind of action movie, I think martial arts. There's a scene where the hero is in disguise or something (just a moustache if I remember correctly) and he witnesses a character murder someone by impaling them with some kind of hook and then activating a crane to lift the guy up by the hook? Kind of like the ending to Undefeatable. I don't remember a lot about it but it's always bothered me that I can't find the movie.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Okay so I remembered something last night but was way too shitfaced to put it into words, so here we go:
A guy's in a maze-like area trying to escape while evading an "evil" version of himself. His evil counterpart had a greenish face or something.

That's pretty much all I remember. It was an early 90's production at the most (I saw it in 1993) but more likely was something from the mid or late 80's. Yeah it's another one of those "I remember one thing about this" examples, sorry for that.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Okay so I remembered something last night but was way too shitfaced to put it into words, so here we go:
A guy's in a maze-like area trying to escape while evading an "evil" version of himself. His evil counterpart had a greenish face or something.

That's pretty much all I remember. It was an early 90's production at the most (I saw it in 1993) but more likely was something from the mid or late 80's. Yeah it's another one of those "I remember one thing about this" examples, sorry for that.

Could this be the last episode of Twin Peaks season 2?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Andorra posted:

I rented an animated movie in the mid 90's. The setting was Japan or China. A little panda might have been a character, and maybe a young lady too. The strongest memory I have is a shot of a guy polishing something like a gong or a bell with a rag, puffing a bit of breath on it, then continuing polishing it.

Disney's Mulan?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Grassy Knowles posted:

Could this be the last episode of Twin Peaks season 2?

Now that you mention it, this could well be the case. Will check!

Edit:
Not exactly how I remember things after all these years, but too much else adds up for it not to have been Twin Peaks (all the laughing in particular). Another dumb childhood mystery solved, thanks :v:

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 1, 2018

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Shot in the dark but there is one specific scene I saw as a child that lodged itself in my mind forever.

Two guys are struggling in a house, one guy kinda looks like Chuck Norris (but almost definitely wasn't) wearing all black (leather jacket and gloves maybe) I think and the other guy was fat, maybe in a bathrobe with lovely long hair. The guy in black summersault rolls out on to a wooden deck and grabs some kinda gun(pistol?) that had a big flash suppressor and shoots the sloppy guy in the stomach.
So it sticks out in my mind specifically because the fat guys gut explodes and entrails fly at the screen like maybe it was filmed for 3D. He falls from the doorway into the house and woman screams.

I was like 6 and the loving weirdo that was babysitting us just had that poo poo on in the middle of the day like no big deal. It could have been on TV 20 Chiller Thriller in Detroit, probably filmed in the late 70s early 80s.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It doesn't fit anything else you're mentioning, but here's a guy getting shot through the stomach and then it's contents flying out at the screen from Takashi Miike's Dead or Alive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThODQnGOoa8&t=218s

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Heisanevilgenius posted:

I remember being shown part of a movie as a kid. It was some kind of action movie, I think martial arts. There's a scene where the hero is in disguise or something (just a moustache if I remember correctly) and he witnesses a character murder someone by impaling them with some kind of hook and then activating a crane to lift the guy up by the hook? Kind of like the ending to Undefeatable. I don't remember a lot about it but it's always bothered me that I can't find the movie.
I can't find the scene on Youtube, but this sounds a little to me like the movie Kickboxer. Before The Big Final Match, the bad guy's cronies attack the hero's training camp and kidnap his brother, stabbing his master's dog in the process. They tell the hero that if he doesn't throw the Big Match, they'll kill his brother.

While the hero is starting the match, his master (seen here, with a mustache) sneaks off to rescue the brother. He beats up most of the goons, and he faces off against the last guy (knife guy who stabbed the dog), eventually impaling him on a hook and raising it up like you described. So it's not a disguise, but it is a mustached dude doing what you described.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I am trying to find a movie that I can only remember 2 scenes of.

First is the leading lady telling a Japanese lady that if she divorces her husband she will get half his money if she does it in California. This happens after she gets drunk.

The second is the leading lady getting ready to get married. She doesn't want to get married but going along with it for her family. However the leading man has sent her a load of booze laced chocolates which she eats and gets pissed.

It's a comedy in the 80s.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

notaspy posted:

I am trying to find a movie that I can only remember 2 scenes of.

First is the leading lady telling a Japanese lady that if she divorces her husband she will get half his money if she does it in California. This happens after she gets drunk.

The second is the leading lady getting ready to get married. She doesn't want to get married but going along with it for her family. However the leading man has sent her a load of booze laced chocolates which she eats and gets pissed.

It's a comedy in the 80s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Date_(1987_film)

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Thanks dude

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Heisanevilgenius posted:

Could this be Master of the Flying Guillotine?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_the_Flying_Guillotine

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It doesn't fit anything else you're mentioning, but here's a guy getting shot through the stomach and then it's contents flying out at the screen from Takashi Miike's Dead or Alive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThODQnGOoa8&t=218s

No, I've definitely seen Dead or Alive since then, thanks though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

What makes you think that? There's nothing in that description that sounds like Master of the Flying Guillotine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The master goes in disguise to a tournament. He uses a weapon which clamps onto peoples heads and then pulls the head off. Its a weird fantasy weapon and I could see someone misremembering it as a type of crane.