Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
What was the one where they were gonna execute Homer, but it turned out it was a reality show? It sucked badly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Nutsngum posted:

Its not like they havent dont good university jokes before either.

What about the buffoon lessons? The four years at clown college?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

The Glumslinger posted:

What was the one where they were gonna execute Homer, but it turned out it was a reality show? It sucked badly

That was an episode of Black Mirror

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Communist Walrus posted:

Hmm, need to parody a famous tech company...how about Macrosoft and its CEO, uh...Will Gates. Heh, nailed it.

"Macrosoft"?

Hey, hellas, "Macrosoft." Ooh-la-di-da Mr. College Man with his jokes that make sense.

"Wicrosoft," please.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

CodfishCartographer posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frying_Game

quote:

Homer decides to give Marge a koi pond for their anniversary, but an endangered "Screamapillar" takes refuge in the pond. Bound by law not to disturb it, Homer accidentally injures the loud, unsettling insect larva and is sentenced to two weeks of community service.

Homer begins delivering Meals on Wheels to an elderly woman, Mrs. Bellamy, who takes a liking to him. She subtly guilt trips Homer, and later Marge, into becoming her personal servants. When Mrs. Bellamy turns up dead, having been stabbed with a pair of scissors, Homer and Marge are the prime suspects in the murder, even though they witnessed a man with braces leaving the murder scene, with Mrs. Bellamy's necklace. The people of Springfield are very suspicious of Homer and Marge, and Chief Wiggum does not believe their story. Finally, during an inspection of the house, Maggie is found with Mrs. Bellamy's stolen necklace. Bart, Lisa and Maggie are adopted by Cletus Spuckler, who decides to change their names to "Dingus, Squatford Junior and Pamela E. Lee".

Despite no lie detector or DNA test being given, both are sentenced to death in the electric chair. In a bid to spare Marge, Homer says that he acted alone. As he is sitting in the electric chair, it is suddenly revealed to Homer that he is on a new reality TV show, Frame Up that airs on Fox TV. The whole thing was just part of an elaborate hidden camera scheme, the "man with the braces" was the show's host, and Mrs. Bellamy is guest host Carmen Electra in disguise. Homer and Marge are reunited with the kids, but Homer is angry that he had to suffer so the show could get higher ratings. Carmen Electra tries to explain, but Homer is too busy looking at her breasts. Chief Wiggum, on the other hand, is irritated that the police department's time was wasted on what turned out to not even be a real case, but he learns he will be in the show and Eddie and Lou will be given producer credits.

This was a season 13 episode

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Argh that was one of the deadly episodes that confirmed the show was gone for good. That revelation that Eddie and Lou don’t have last names, to make a bad in-joke about producers, was a nail in the coffin.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:sigh:

This was in the first half of The Simpsons

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I was mostly making a joke about how newer episodes are so ridiculous that they're practically black mirror eps, but holy poo poo I remember this episode now, it’s all coming back to me like some horrible forgotten dream. Also wow, that was only a few seasons after poo poo like You Only Move Twice and Homer's Enemy, how does the show go so downhill SO fast?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I was mostly making a joke about how newer episodes are so ridiculous that they're practically black mirror eps, but holy poo poo I remember this episode now, it’s all coming back to me like some horrible forgotten dream. Also wow, that was only a few seasons after poo poo like You Only Move Twice and Homer's Enemy, how does the show go so downhill SO fast?

That’s a good question, especially as it was written by John Swartzwelder. Looking at Swartzwelder’s writing credits, what the heck happened to him post-1997?

He went from writing some of the best, like Bart Gets an Elephant and Homer the Smithers, to garbage like Kill the Alligator and Run, Monty Can't Buy Me Love, and Simpsons Safari.

I wonder if he just stopped caring and collected paychecks, or burned out.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Just ran out of good ideas in the setting? :shrug:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They ran out of good writers and the energy to actually work on scripts. Swartzwelder may have written a bunch of good episodes, but all those episodes had good punch up teams and a good room to kick around better jokes than the first draft. Pretty sure the staff for decades has been the type that prides themselves on working 9 to 5 instead of staying late like all the other writers in Hollywood.

I think this is why the Treehouse of Horrors were usually pretty good long after the show sucked all the time (only in the last few years have those started to suck). Or if they do a big stunt episode like the hourlong one or the Lego one, those are usually a lot higher quality. The staff knows there's going to be more eyes on those and more marketing, so they actually put forth some effort.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 2, 2018

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

And Harvey Birdman (kinda)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That’s a good question, especially as it was written by John Swartzwelder. Looking at Swartzwelder’s writing credits, what the heck happened to him post-1997?

He went from writing some of the best, like Bart Gets an Elephant and Homer the Smithers, to garbage like Kill the Alligator and Run, Monty Can't Buy Me Love, and Simpsons Safari.

I have no idea how the timelines line up but wasn't there a point where he started mailing in drafts from home because they wouldn't let him chain-smoke in the writers' room anymore? Maybe other people were rewriting and ruining his ideas.

EDIT: Wikipedia says this started as early as '94 so maybe not. He shot a live-action pilot in '96 that went nowhere, maybe that broke him.

quote:

By 1994, with the show's sixth season, Swartzwelder was granted a special dispensation and allowed not to attend rewrite sessions with the rest of the staff, instead being allowed to send drafts of his scripts in from home so other writers could revise them as they saw fit. This was a direct result of Swartzwelder's avid smoking coming into conflict with a newly implemented policy banning smoking in the writers' room.[12] Swartzwelder's scripts typically needed minimal rewriting compared to those of other writers, with about 50% being used.[5]

In 1996, Swartzwelder created and produced his own pilot presentation for Fox titled Pistol Pete, which was designed to spoof western films.[13] Starring Stephen Kearney, Mark Derwin, Lisa Robin Kelly, and Brian Doyle Murray, the pilot was shot using crew from the television series Gunsmoke at Swartzwelder's insistence. John Rich, veteran television director known for The Dick Van Dyke Show, All in the Family, and Gunsmoke, directed the pilot, which was shot at Veluzat Motion Picture Ranch. Fox eventually passed on the pilot.[13] It eventually surfaced online in 2014.[14]

According to Matt Groening, Swartzwelder used to write Simpsons episodes while sitting in a booth at a coffee shop "drinking copious amounts of coffee and smoking endless cigarettes". When California passed an anti-smoking law, Swartzwelder bought the diner booth and installed it in his house, allowing him to continue his process in peace.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Nutsngum posted:

Its not like they havent dont good university jokes before either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkNEBjJScbk&t=169s

I was sure you were being sarcastic and it was going to be that Mr Burns and the SJWs at Yale video. But it was a good clip, so thank you.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

Are the Simpsons even on Netflix?

no

FOX made their own streaming service to show The Simpsons in the wrong aspect ratio

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

snack eater posted:

no

FOX made their own streaming service to show The Simpsons in the wrong aspect ratio

didn't they fix that after groening complained?

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
no, they still expect people to sign up for their exclusive service

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

snack eater posted:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

snack eater posted:

I still need to pick up seasons 1, 9, and 10 to complete the collection

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

SEX BURRITO posted:

I was sure you were being sarcastic and it was going to be that Mr Burns and the SJWs at Yale video. But it was a good clip, so thank you.

I liked this one, too

https://youtu.be/zJ7PV4sqL0s

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The thing to remember about The Simpsons is that the good episodes were all group projects and the person listed as the writer may not have even written the majority of the episode. When most of the writers room is incredibly mediocre even the best scripts would be dragged down.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Bust Rodd posted:

Simpson’s were pre-meme and as a result became proto-memetic. This means now that new Simpsons memes can’t really hang with classic ones because classic ones have the syndication zeitgeist and the only people who watch new Simpsons aren’t the same people who think memes are dank

:same:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I know American Dad chat was a few pages back but this is my favorite joke of the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcwZCk3eEzc

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

haljordan posted:

I know American Dad chat was a few pages back but this is my favorite joke of the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcwZCk3eEzc

I still love patrick Stewart dramatically saying "butt stuff"

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Director Bullock is Stewarts finest work.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Just found this one, might be new

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDxSJ9ataRc

Whoever writes this poo poo has no idea about timing or beats

My favorite part was when homer says “we’re going to krusty burger!!” which was obviously left in as a way for them to kill a few extra seconds here and there to make it to 22 minutes

Gotta love another dated reference like The Deadliest Catch

Simpsons use to be good because their references were intentionally obscure in-jokes for smart people or older generations (I buried them all! hobos! sea captains! Joey Bishop!”) but the people making the show now don’t get that this poo poo will look terrible in 5-10 years

fatal oopsie-daisy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 6, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pro use of Apu for 2018-tuned “lol Indians sure are weird” points

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Data Graham posted:

Pro use of Apu for 2018-tuned “lol Indians sure are weird” points

The only thing that was slightly funny was the farmer who didn't know he was being broadcast. And it wasn't so funny that it made me laugh out loud either, more like a slight smile. And then I realized that it was a joke the Simpsons had done before.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

That clip is like 10 years old, FYI

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

My favorite part was when homer says “we’re going to krusty burger!!” which was obviously left in as a way for them to kill a few extra seconds here and there to make it to 22 minutes

Simpsons use to be good because their references were intentionally obscure in-jokes for smart people or older generations (I buried them all! hobos! sea captains! Joey Bishop!”) but the people making the show now don’t get that this poo poo will look terrible in 5-10 years

:chloe:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

*Sideshow Bob disgust noise*

This has way too many likes and views.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I Love Loosies posted:

Director Bullock is Stewarts finest work.

i was wrong to not include it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFTTZ9E_e2Y

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Does it feel like there's a "hold for applause" after most of the "jokes" in those scenes for anyone else?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Warning marge calls someone a noob in the latest episode and her VA really needs to retire, her poor vocal chords sound like they're in tatters

E: Aunt Patty and Selma sound spot on still. Maybe have one of them swap places with Marge in future episodes?

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 8, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Those jokes were usually funny on multiple levels though, you don't have to know who Joey Bishop was to laugh at that line.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I think the problem is more that the writing just sucks.

Even in the peak golden era, the Simpsons would do references or even whole plots that were callbacks to movies from 5-10 years ago. Marge on the Lam was a Selma and Louise parody several years after the movie came out, but it was still good. The one about Marge being afraid of flying was a lot of Prince of Tides four years after that came out. Homer Loves Ned has tons of references to T2, which had been out for years by that point.

But they were still good episodes with lots of jokes because the writing wasn't lazy "hey remember this movie/show/thing??" references.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the references were much more organically written into the script in those days. Though I do think that some of it is the fact that that style of comedy - referencing and satirizing pop culture by working it into the script just for the sake of it - was still pretty fresh and new at that point and it's kind of tired these days, so even if they did a good reference, it wouldn't come off the same.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah, the references were much more organically written into the script in those days. Though I do think that some of it is the fact that that style of comedy - referencing and satirizing pop culture by working it into the script just for the sake of it - was still pretty fresh and new at that point and it's kind of tired these days, so even if they did a good reference, it wouldn't come off the same.

Some of my favorite jokes from when I was younger were references to things I didn't even know about at the time. I figured it was just a weird thing in the Simpsons world and years later realized the joke.

Now it's way too obvious when it's just a fan of some show or movie making a joke for fellow fans.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

brugroffil posted:

I sat through last night's episode for some reason and it's just so loving mean for no reason.

Marge gets rejected from a reality TV show 46 times, Homer fucks up her chance when she finally gets on the show, they spend a weird noir second act upset at each other, then Marge wins the show without him but fucks up a detail and she loses.

Just a ton of making GBS threads on Marge for having aspirations, then critiquing her for dropping Homer to try and get a shot at success. What a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

brugroffil posted:

Even in the peak golden era, the Simpsons would do references or even whole plots that were callbacks to movies from 5-10 years ago. Marge on the Lam was a Selma and Louise parody several years after the movie came out, but it was still good. The one about Marge being afraid of flying was a lot of Prince of Tides four years after that came out. Homer Loves Ned has tons of references to T2, which had been out for years by that point.

But they were still good episodes with lots of jokes because the writing wasn't lazy "hey remember this movie/show/thing??" references.

Or even older, Lisa waking up with the horse next to her in bed (The Godfather reference) still cracks me up every time.