Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Just had to call 911 on a client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkk

gently caress loving fuckity gently caress gently caress gently caress

Quality posting itt

E: well gently caress

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I have a plight too
A set of business cards just came in and they're loving botched
Good thing it's just a test batch of 50 cards
But still

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Ambulance 911 or cops?

(Comedy option: firefighters)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Sorry, just needed a quick vent but I don't think I can post more about it. Technically the situation jeopardizes my license and can mean a criminal charge.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

How much does malpractice insurance cost the solos out there? I’m not hanging my shingle (no money for overhead), but I’m trying to volunteer at more clinics to see if I can get some work eventually.

I just don’t know how much I can do for people with no research access or insurance to cover my rear end.

Isn’t malpractice insurance just a single rate through your bar association? That’s what we do here. Even if not I’d bet they have that information for you and probably some advisors to help you out too.

I am entirely prepared to find out the US has a complete shitshow of a system though.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Post the

911 audio?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LeschNyhan posted:

Isn’t malpractice insurance just a single rate through your bar association? That’s what we do here. Even if not I’d bet they have that information for you and probably some advisors to help you out too.

I am entirely prepared to find out the US has a complete shitshow of a system though.

It's an independent purchase here. I found some Florida carriers, but nothing indicative of quotes.

FSU Law has three professor openings that were posted yesterday and close today. If anyone wants to teach and has scholarship that focuses on health care, commercial law, law and economics, and international law you have a good shot.

I have a remote interview for a firm that has offices all over the state (although none near me). I have no faith, though, that I'll get an offer let alone an offer that would pay enough to justify moving. :smith:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't remember who posted about revisiting to kill a mockingbird in the metoo era but congrats on writing for the national review (I was looking for kavs takes and saw this)
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/10/atticus-finch-was-on-the-wrong-side/

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Malplactice insurance lmao

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

LeschNyhan posted:

Let me tell you about Capitalism.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

I can't remember who posted about revisiting to kill a mockingbird in the metoo era but congrats on writing for the national review (I was looking for kavs takes and saw this)

Blargzhstradamus

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

Post the emails motherfucker.

edit: Make sure you tell her how jewish you are.

You weirdos would dox me ten years from now when I'm about to be coiffed.

The gist of it was "my client getting tagged with a felony is all your fault you're a malicious prosecutor." But more bloviations. My response, of course, will be "according to the Jewish faith your clients actions are her own drat fault."

BigHead fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 2, 2018

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Post the

911 audio?

Alright, so I've simmered down a bit. gently caress me.

So the thing is I just had to make a hell of a difficult decision today, had a client call in with a suicide threat. So I had to decide how credible it was and if I was gonna act on it in violation of my duty of silence/attorney-client whatnot. I found the threat credible and imminent so I had the police and emergency medical services pick them up. This hasn't happened to me before so my adrenaline has been slightly through the roof and I crashed hard for a while coming down.

Now there's the question of what the fallout is gonna be. There is no outright exception to privilege in these cases and I'm technically in violation, so if they go after my license after they get released, I might be in actual trouble. This is due to the dual nature of attorney-client privilege, there's a duty of silence and a simultaneous duty of confidentiality, both or either of which can be violated and lead to disbarment. It'll also be a he said they said thing because we don't record calls. So, if things go to poo poo - and honestly, why loving wouldn't they - worst case I might be leaving our esteemed club. There's a criminal component as well, but I'm pretty sure I'm fine on that front. I'm hoping nothing comes of it, but hey... crazy people. Can't trust'em, can't work for them.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You'll be fine dude.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Yeah, I'm hoping so. Probably just my adrenaline kicking my natural tendency to angst about poo poo to ridiculous levels. Guess today's ruined, though.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
We'd all be freaking out too. That is a rough situation to be in. Sorry my dude.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Soothing Vapors posted:

We'd all be freaking out too. That is a rough situation to be in. Sorry my dude.

Agreed. Write a contemporaneous account of your decision making, know you did the right thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
After you write it up, you should talk to a lawyer in your area. Seriously, gaining the advice of counsel that is Not You seems like a very good idea in the moment.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Don't you have an ethics rule on that? We do, AK rule 1.6(b). "A lawyer may reveal a client's confidence or secret to the extent the lawyer reasonably believes necessary to prevent reasonably certain substantial bodily harm."

You'll be fine, but it's right to stress, it means you were reasonably certain.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Pook Good Mook posted:

Agreed. Write a contemporaneous account of your decision making, know you did the right thing.

Yeah, already done, so I've the details down just in case. Thanks for the sympathy, it helps.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

After you write it up, you should talk to a lawyer in your area. Seriously, gaining the advice of counsel that is Not You seems like a very good idea in the moment.

Yeah, did that too. I'm on top of it, it's just that you know. Freakout.

BigHead posted:

Don't you have an ethics rule on that? We do, AK rule 1.6(b). "A lawyer may reveal a client's confidence or secret to the extent the lawyer reasonably believes necessary to prevent reasonably certain substantial bodily harm."

You'll be fine, but it's right to stress, it means you were reasonably certain.

We do, it doesn't contain an exception for this. It's one of the major points of revision in an upcoming codification of ethics rules.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I think you're doubly OK because it was your own client you sought to protect.
You believed your client in good faith and acted to protect him. You're good.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

mastershakeman posted:

Hmm...one wonders whether this person actually read To Kill a Mockingbird with any awareness of its time and themes, or of American history, or of the Kavanaugh case, or really anything outside of the smell of he own farts

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

We do, it doesn't contain an exception for this. It's one of the major points of revision in an upcoming codification of ethics rules.

That and acting in good faith should safeguard your license. If they’re contemplating this exact revision, then they aren’t going to throw the book at you when it comes to disciplinary action. You’re in good shape, dude. Think of the cabin. Burn some poop.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

So the thing is I just had to make a hell of a difficult decision today, had a client call in with a suicide threat. So I had to decide how credible it was and if I was gonna act on it in violation of my duty of silence/attorney-client whatnot. I found the threat credible and imminent so I had the police and emergency medical services pick them up. This hasn't happened to me before so my adrenaline has been slightly through the roof and I crashed hard for a while coming down.

Now there's the question of what the fallout is gonna be. There is no outright exception to privilege in these cases and I'm technically in violation, so if they go after my license after they get released, I might be in actual trouble. This is due to the dual nature of attorney-client privilege, there's a duty of silence and a simultaneous duty of confidentiality, both or either of which can be violated and lead to disbarment. It'll also be a he said they said thing because we don't record calls. So, if things go to poo poo - and honestly, why loving wouldn't they - worst case I might be leaving our esteemed club. There's a criminal component as well, but I'm pretty sure I'm fine on that front. I'm hoping nothing comes of it, but hey... crazy people. Can't trust'em, can't work for them.

You did the right thing and I believe you will be fine. Usually the confidentiality/privilege problems arise when you act against the interests of your client, not when you save their life.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

You did the right thing and I believe you will be fine. Usually the confidentiality/privilege problems arise when you act against the interests of your client, not when you save their life.

Right. They aren't going to ding you for believing your client.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Listen, thanks a lot for the kind words. I appreciate it a lot, you guys are a goddamned wonder. It'll be okay, I'm sure, and if not I can always find work building cabins.

gently caress, I was supposed to do the trimmings today.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

You'll be fine, there's no loving way that was the wrong decision

Yeah, did that too. I'm on top of it, it's just that you know. Freakout.

Also there's no loving way that this wouldn't be taken into consideration

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Echoing that you should be fine and also it sucks to be put in that position, sorry dude.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That was absolutely the right decision, both morally and legal-ethics-ally. Morally, you’d feel way worse if you didn’t call and something happened, so you did the right thing. Legal-ethics-ally if your bar is considering an explicit amendment to allow what you did, it means some serious big wigs believe it’s the right thing and you’ll have plenty of cover if it blows up.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Good job, you’ve done what you can, and I think you’ll be okay fwiw. Only a dumb formalist law robot would find a way to meaningfully ding you, especially since the client was implicitly making a cry for help by calling, so you helped.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 2, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
To pile on, the ABA model rules give you permissive right to break confidentiality to prevent death - rule 1.6(b)(1) - while in Florida you would have been required by the state ethics rules to report them. Rule 4 - 1.6(b)(1). Your client would also be involuntarily committed for at least 72 hours afterwards.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Hmm...one wonders whether this person actually read To Kill a Mockingbird with any awareness of its time and themes, or of American history, or of the Kavanaugh case, or really anything outside of the smell of he own farts

Like with basically every social/political opinion these days, he grabs the reins of an idea, runs right up to the point of conflict, and then flies right past the issue. Its like nobody wants the pendulum to come to a rest at a reasonable compromise of values - they just want it to swing back to the other side again.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Btw fish you absolutely did the right thing. I lost one of my closest friends to suicide last year and it's good you were able to help. Worst case you become an Airbnb host for lawyers at your cabin and make bank

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
As someone who has had to call CPS on my own clients, I know how you feel (kinda).

Hang in there, your a human first and a lawyer second. And gently caress that client for putting you in this spot.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Roger_Mudd posted:

As someone who has had to call CPS on my own clients, I know how you feel (kinda).

Hang in there, your a human first and a lawyer second. And gently caress that client for putting you in this spot.

Thanks a lot folks, I've had some time to sleep on it and I'm good now I think. And yeah, I'm not in doubt that it was the right call to make.

As for the bolded part I'm slowly getting to there, but at the same time the person was obviously unwell and not in a rational place at all, so I don't know that I wanna blame them for it in any sense. Did have to write the court and ask to be relieved though, there's no way I'm staying impartial through a trial for instance, I'm not a robot.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Did have to write the court and ask to be relieved though, there's no way I'm staying impartial through a trial for instance, I'm not a robot.

So not only are you acting morally, you're remaining cognizant of your ethical obligations and diligently seeking to conform. Not only are you a good person, you're gonna be fine, bruh.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Also, who the hell is going to file an ethical complaint against you? Your client?

Unless it works differently in Norway, I'm having a hard time seeing your client wanting to make this last longer or be more painful than it already is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
This thread is full of stories of complaints against public defenders who couldn't keep their clients out of prison, you think a crazy guy won't file one against a guy who got him incarcerated?