Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I always forget how much moonwalking Link does in this game when you swing your sword while changing directions diagonally. Nice that Capcom smoothed that out in the Oracle games, along with the enemy death and key drop sound effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

Glad to see a lp of these gems. It would have been cool if Capcom was able to make a third like they originally planned.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Carpator Diei posted:

I just can't see the monkey sprites in this game as anything else than hunched-over men with thin moustaches, fancy hair and red coats.

...oh my god

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Throwing out a poll for a future thread from the jiggliest of Jacobs, who will be LPing WarioWare Gold on my channel soon. He wants to know who out of his Amiibos Wario should paint horribly. If you've played the game, you'd probably know what that means. If not, then pick something anyway.

E: Apparently the Pokemon aren't compatible, so scratch those options.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 22, 2018

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

If there's one thing you should do while drunk, it's run as fast as you can into everything.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

The key to this dungeon is to always stay keyed in to where all the keys are, and also where all the keese are. Sometimes you find keys in the room, sometimes you find keese in the room, and sometimes the keese are hiding keys in the room.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The first room of this dungeon had me stumped FOREVER and I have no idea why because the answer is literally given to you 5 minutes beforehand. I was a dumb kid, apparently. But then again, I was like, the only kid who didn't have a problem with the Water Temple.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

That arrow is waaaaaaaaaaay less obvious on the original Game Boy :argh:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I get the feeling that the temporary power ups last way longer than in the original Game Boy game.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I get the feeling that the temporary power ups last way longer than in the original Game Boy game.

IIRC the power ups last until Link gets hit a certain number of times in both versions, so the duration is dependent on how good you are at not getting hit. I'm pretty sure the speedrun carries a single piece of power through most of the game.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It's not a date if she doesn't injure you and briefly lose her poo poo.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The second Lights Out puzzle can easily be solved by hitting the 2/4/6/8 spots (like on a keyboard number pad). The key to dealing with them is often to flip the "correct" lights exactly enough times to bring them back to that state, which you can do by hitting adjacent "incorrect" lights.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I don't think I've ever seen that sprite of Marin sitting outside of dungeons. That's cute.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Maybe they just changed it for the 3DS virtual console release, but I'm pretty sure you can go back and swap your tunic at the Color Fairy again if you re-enter the dungeon.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Nah you can do that in the original GBC release too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I finally parsed that owl comment. It's not bears the animal.
"Sea carries foam, sleep carries dreams, both crash to pieces at the end."

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Yeah, that owl statue's comment is not very well written.

Also as far as the color dungeon goes, that is not a great remix of the Zelda 1 dungeon theme either.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Yeah you can change to the other tunic, BUT WHY???

Red Tunic Supremecy!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Because you want to hit things with your sword more than once in a row without it flying across the room!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Blue tunic may be boring but I think it's the better option since this game has plenty of ways to increase your offense but nothing for your defense.

But Red is a lot of fun if you don't mind having to chase after enemies that don't die in one hit.

Though, REAL Link's Awakening players keep the green tunic. :colbert:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Thank you for showing off Marin throwing shade when Link tries the Ballad on his ocarina.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Going from a bit overpowered to definitely overpowered.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

In the Japanese version, that "Necklace" is actually her bra. Explains the "L-L-Lucky!" Text.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Uhhhhhhh that's CLEARLY a picture of Goatette, what are you guys talking about?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Silegna posted:

In the Japanese version, that "Necklace" is actually her bra. Explains the "L-L-Lucky!" Text.

In the European version as well. Which is why she's half submerged in the water, and only jumps out onto the rock once you've returned her bra.

The next dungeon's gimmick is pretty cool.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

C-Euro posted:

Uhhhhhhh that's CLEARLY a picture of Goatette, what are you guys talking about?

If a human has a fursona what does an anthromorphic goat have?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Torrannor posted:

In the European version as well. Which is why she's half submerged in the water, and only jumps out onto the rock once you've returned her bra.

The next dungeon's gimmick is pretty cool.

Also why she goes "EEK DON'T LOOK" if you dive underwater in front of her.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

A fleshsona, which if I ever make a video game is definitely going to be the name of an enemy.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

A persona. :v:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Mecca, how do you not know what an Ocean Sunfish is? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzS4JDpFfQU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I do love the music in this game, but I forgot just how repetitive the Angler's Tunnel theme is - I know it's a slight variation on the cave theme (as indeed are most of the previous dugeon themes), but in the caves you're in-and-out in generally under half a minute - this takes far longer and feels like it's missing any further development - like, Totaka did the other themes, and decided to clock off early for this one.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The music only gets better from here on. The Southern Face Shrine for example is coming soon.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Worried I might be overpowered already? Don't be - I suck at this dungeon.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
One of my favorite parts of this game is the bosses starting to go, "What are you doing? Stop and think about this!"

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Yeah although the Oracle game dungeons get more complicated I don't really feel like they got harder, while I remember struggling with the latter half of Link's Awakening dungeons even on replay and knowing the gimmicks. The first four are quite straightforward and as we saw a bit of here, the last four are not straightforward at all, especially on the old brick Game Boy.

Plus enemies hit hard enough that even if you're overpowered as hell you don't want plow through face-first. With that said, the item we get next episode makes that less of an issue but it's a pretty well-hidden secret.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 4, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This dungeon's boss is pretty hard, especially if you are a kid, this is your first Zelda game, and you didn't collect 20 seashells yet (and of course had no red tunic in the original game). I've died a lot here.

The mini boss was a pretty cool gimmick, even though it can be aggravating the first time. I never noticed the block indicating the order you fight him, thanks for educating me about that! I wonder if the devs gave him a certain damage resistance when first hit with a sword, except for bombs. It seems as if you have the piece of power active as you fight him. Perhaps the damage threshold was set to a certain amount that you couldn't overcome with a level 2 sword and a piece of power, but they didn't adjust it for you having the red tunic when releasing the Game Boy Color version?

I'm really looking forward to next update. Which could simply be titled "the plot thickens".

By the way, does anybody know why the red potion costs different amount of rupees? I know that the price fluctuated, but kid me never figured out why.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Torrannor posted:

By the way, does anybody know why the red potion costs different amount of rupees? I know that the price fluctuated, but kid me never figured out why.

Might be something to do with your current health when you buy it, as Crazy Tracy will also restore your hearts to full? It's been a very long time since I've played it.

Also, yeah, this dungeon is pretty neat - it's nice when they standard dungeon formula is shaken up a bit.

[e]: Does make sense, I guess :v:
On the topic of Crazy Tracy, when I was a kid I always saw her sprite as wearing a massive ballgown. It's only when I played the DX version I realised the "gown", was infact, a chair, and the "cravat/neck ribbon" was her crossed legs.

VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 5, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

According to Wiki it just alternates between 28 and 42 with an occasional 7-rupee discount because Tracy is crazy.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I need more stuff. Gimme a way overpowered boomerang. Now caterwaul at me, frog man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

*i'M the CAPtain of tHIs BOAtt..!*~ :beerpal: