Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This pilot cheat the Hobbs meter in the other direction:

quote:

While on final approach to runway 4 left I was given a go-around without a reason by the tower, which I complied with. On my second approach, on base leg, I was asked if I had a green light condition for my gear and I replied that it was coming down at that time. When I got on the ground and back to the gate, there was a message for me to call the tower. When I called the tower the chief asked me if I had forgotten to lower my gear. I told him that I had not forgotten but that I was dropping the gear late on purpose. The chief seemed satisfied with my explanation and asked me to inform them the next time I desired a delayed gear extension.

Reason for delayed extension: I work for a Part 135 scheduled service. We fly twin engine aircraft which have a quick extension system for the gear. We are paid from a Hobbs meter which stops counting when the gear is lowered. It is my procedure to lower the gear relatively late. On this particular flight I was empty so I held off loweringthe gear a little longer. On the average,we make 16—20 landings in a day. If you save 2 to 3 minutes on each landing through late gear extension you make $8.00 to $10.00 more a day and $40.00 to $50.00 more a week that you would not have made by extending the gear further out.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19780018176.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

oohhboy posted:

Not exactly something to be proud about. It sounded too stupid to be a thing as the other poster pointed out it's stupid.

I never said it was a good trick

schmug
May 20, 2007

crosspost from a crosspost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krBJxUpWz0I

That's art right there. Skip to :420: for the actual felling, but I recommend watching the whole thing for backstory.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I search a little for an NTSB or ASRS report where cheating the Hobbs meter was a factor in an incident, but I was stymied by the fact that the reading is a routinely noted datum.

I did find multiple instances were oil pressure was lost due to bad plumbing connecting the meter to the oil system. How ironic.

quote:

ACFT WAS FLYING FROM ZZZ1 TO ZZZ2. 20 MI N OF ZZZ AN ENG VIBRATION WAS NOTICED BY PLT AND PAX. PRECAUTIONARY LNDG WAS MADE AT ZZZ. PLT CALLED ME AND I SUGGESTED CHANGING LOWER SPARK PLUGS. AFTER THE CHANGE, ENG RAN SMOOTH AND FLT WAS CONTINUED TO ZZZ3. NEAR ZZZ3, OIL PRESSURE GAUGE NEEDLE BEGAN MOVING ERRATICALLY. PLT CALLED ME AND I SUGGESTED A LOOSE LINE IN OIL PRESSURE INDICATING SYS. A MECH AT ZZZ3 FOUND A BROKEN WIRE IN OIL PRESSURE SENSOR AND REPAIRED IT. (SEE MORE DETAILS ON ENCLOSED LETTER.) PLT THEN OPTED TO RETURN TO ZZZ1. ON THE FLT N, PLT NOTICED SMOKE, OIL PRESSURE GAUGE INDICATED VERY HIGH PRESSURE, AND A FEW SECONDS LATER THE ENG STOPPED. AN EMER WAS DECLARED ON 121.5 AND A SAFE LNDG WAS MADE IN A COW PASTURE. THERE WERE NO INJURIES AND NO DAMAGE TO ACFT EXCEPT FOR THE ENG FAILURE. THE REASON FOR THE ENG FAILURE WAS A LOSS OF OIL DUE TO A BROKEN FITTING BTWN THE ENG AND THE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR. THIS FITTING HAD BEEN CHANGED 10 HRS PREVIOUSLY WHEN A HOBBS OIL SWITCH WAS INSTALLED. THE STRENGTH OF THE FITTING, IN THIS APPLICATION, WAS EVIDENTLY INSUFFICIENT. A NUMBER OF FACTORS CONTRIBUTED TO THIS INCIDENT: THE PRESSURE TO COMPLETE THE JOB IN A TIMELY (AS DETERMINED BY OWNER) MANNER, UNAVAILABILITY OF ADEQUATE HARDWARE, THE PERCEIVED NEED TO KEEP COSTS TO A MINIMUM, AND FINALLY THE POOR JUDGEMENT AND CONSEQUENTIAL ACTION TAKEN AT THAT TIME.

quote:

[DURING FLIGHT, SMOKE & FUMES ENTERED THE COCKPIT, & SUBSEQUENTLY, THE ENGINE FAILED. THE PLT TRIED TO GLIDE TO AN AIRPORT, BUT WAS UNABLE, SO HE ELECTED TO LAND ON A ROAD. HOWEVER, JUST BEFORE TOUCHDOWN, THE LEFT WING STRUCK A TREE & THE ACFT CRASH LANDED ON THE ROAD. AN EXAM OF THE AIRCRAFT REVEALED THAT A FITTING ON THE ENGINE TURBO-CHARGER OIL SUPPLY LINE HAD FAILED & ALLOWED OIL TO ESCAPE. THE AIRCRAFT HAD BEEN MODIFIED WITH AN OIL PRESSURE SWITCH TO OPERATE THE HOBBS METER; HOWEVER, THE ADAPTER FITTING WAS NOT INSTALLED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PRODUCTION CONFIGURATION. AN ADDED TEE FITTING HAD BEEN TIE-WRAPPED & WAS STRESSED IN A SIDEWARD DIRECTION. FAILURE OF THE FITTING OCCURRED ON THE SIDE OPPOSITE OF THE DIRECTION OF THE TIE-WRAP.

quote:

The aircraft is a new light sport aircraft with total time on airframe and engine of 55 hours. On may/xa/06 a brass 'T' on an oil line broke; resulting in loss of oil; and the subsequence seizing of the rotax 912 uls engine. The plane was successfully landed in a pasture and there was no damage to the airframe or injury. The pilot was the only person on board. The reason for this report is that under the light sport aircraft rules all alterations to the aircraft must be approved by the manufacturer of the aircraft (as distinct from the FAA). An alteration had been made to this aircraft without obtaining such approval. The alteration consisted of adding an oil pressure switch to activate a hobbs clock meter whenever the engine was running. The plate came equipped with a hobbs meter but was activated anytime the master electrical switch was on. If manufacturer approval had been obtained the manufacturer would had approved the installation but with this oil pressure switch located in a different position on the engine. However; the installation was made using a brass 'T' that also connected the oil pressure transmitter (to the cockpit instrument). With both units on this same brass 'T;' it was subject to additional weight and other forces that eventually caused the brass 'T' to fail where it screwed into the engine.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 2, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

schmug posted:

That's art right there. Skip to :420: for the actual felling, but I recommend watching the whole thing for backstory.

I was watching this guy’s channel all day yesterday but can’t recall where I was linked to it.

He is a natural at editing. :allears:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

oohhboy posted:

Not exactly something to be proud about. It sounded too stupid to be a thing as the other poster pointed out it's stupid.

I cringe a fair bit at GA flying on GPS as it is not the safest thing to do as you tend to stare at normal instruments too much as it is which rightly should be beaten out of you.

How else are you supposed to fly IFR? A big portion of IFR training is beating "watch the instruments" *into* you.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I was watching this guy’s channel all day yesterday but can’t recall where I was linked to it.

He is a natural at editing. :allears:

I got this link from the HOA thread in GBS, but apparently it was a cross from the Schadenfreude thread of all places. Guess the root cutting bit was the schaden?

For real. And there went the rest of my day today lol

schmug fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 2, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

schmug posted:

Sorta tangentially related:

I will never in a million loving years gently caress around with trees like this myself. Growing up, a neighbor had a tree on his property that he wanted gone, He figured that, to save money, he would just rent a cherry picker and do it himself. Since he didn't really know what he was doing, he cut the tree wrong and huge piece the trunk fell the wrong way and hit him in the head. Officially he died at the hospital but he was probably dead way before then.

I'll never forget the sight. The tree hit the cherry picker on the way down and broke the hydraulics, so the fire department couldn't get the cherry picker down to the ground. They decided the fastest way to get him down was to put a few fire fighters into the cherry picker with him, then dangle him over the edge and drop him into the arms of a dozen or so firemen who were waiting to catch him. I saw the guy on the gurney getting loaded into the ambulance and his head was completely caved in.

I'm hiring professionals.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Renegret posted:

My 70 year old father tried cutting off a huge branch by standing on top of a large ladder and hacking at it with a circular saw. Of course he overextended himself and fell off because that was a really stupid thing to do but luckily he got away with just some bad bruises and a few days of bed rest.

A couple months later a few huge Tongan guys knocked on the door and said they were going around the neighbourhood seeing if anyone wanted any trees cut down. Apparently they were a bit freaked out when my tiny father cackled like a madman and went "COME RIGHT THIS WAY!!!" and pointed at that tree and went "MAKE THAT DISAPPEAR!!"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Renegret posted:

I will never in a million loving years gently caress around with trees like this myself. Growing up, a neighbor had a tree on his property that he wanted gone, He figured that, to save money, he would just rent a cherry picker and do it himself. Since he didn't really know what he was doing, he cut the tree wrong and huge piece the trunk fell the wrong way and hit him in the head. Officially he died at the hospital but he was probably dead way before then.

I'll never forget the sight. The tree hit the cherry picker on the way down and broke the hydraulics, so the fire department couldn't get the cherry picker down to the ground. They decided the fastest way to get him down was to put a few fire fighters into the cherry picker with him, then dangle him over the edge and drop him into the arms of a dozen or so firemen who were waiting to catch him. I saw the guy on the gurney getting loaded into the ambulance and his head was completely caved in.

I'm hiring professionals.

Several years ago, a guy in a neighborhood a mile away from me went to trim a tree, about 40 feet up. No safety line, tie off, or anything. He lost balance and fell about 36 feet...right onto the upright pole of a 4' chain link fence. He suffered a "fatal penetrating wound". gently caress climbing trees.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Several years ago, a guy in a neighborhood a mile away from me went to trim a tree, about 40 feet up. No safety line, tie off, or anything. He lost balance and fell about 36 feet...right onto the upright pole of a 4' chain link fence. He suffered a "fatal penetrating wound". gently caress climbing trees.

Climbing trees is fine, just don't fall.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

"Injuries incompatible with life" are such a good phrase for such a horrid occurrence

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
AKA "Yeaahh, I don't think we have to bother taking a pulse here, guys."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Imagined posted:

AKA "Yeaahh, I don't think we have to bother taking a pulse here, guys."

AKA "Yeaahh, I don't think there's a way to take a pulse here, guys."

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Aka "no point doing CPR on the neck stump"

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Stealing from the GIF thread:

BrianBoitano posted:

https://i.imgur.com/KZDQkWD.mp4

The real safety line is the one in your heart

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Goddamn terrifying.

schmug
May 20, 2007

We have some pretty OSHA poo poo going on right out front of my plant. Couple guys in a hole looking for a water main break. It's about as anti-OSHA as you can get. I'm trying to figure out how I can get some pics without being too obnoxious...or at least before it collapses and death ensues.

I really need to keep my phone on me at all times. This kind of poo poo happens all the time at my work. Inside and out.

schmug fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 2, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

What happened there? Looks like the rim is still intact.

Guessing the valve stem blew out, it would be a weak point. And they had it aimed directly at the dummy for the demonstration.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Trabant posted:

Stealing from the GIF thread:

The real horror is that apparently they uploaded a video from tik tok onto tik tok and got double watermarks

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

schmug posted:

this is so bizarrely cool, well-produced, and a weird blend of intimidating / awe-inspiring i am having a deep emotional response to a youtube video lmao

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, that was a really nice tree. Sucks it had to come down because of some rear end in a top hat.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Cojawfee posted:

Wow, that was a really nice tree. Sucks it had to come down because of some rear end in a top hat.

If it's roots were threatening a foundation, it was probably going to come down anyway. Not in such a rush-job way, but still coming down.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Everything is destined for the scrap heap, including the vehicle.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

E-Bay Mobile Kiosk Prototype

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My next assignment may require hardhats. I rearrange grocery stores, but they will apparently be building this one around me as I put the product on the shelves. Should I wear my orange one with the TF2 BLU sticker over the original logo (edit: I got the grey one years after I got the BLU sticker, I did the best I could with what I had on had available at the time), or my gray one with the oil company my father stole it from exposed? (Dad sometimes worked on oil rig A/C and walked off with the provided helmets.)

I work with my mother, she wants to take an issued hat rather than pick between one of my better-looking full-brim roughneck hats.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The more stickers you have on the hat, the cooler you are.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cichlidae posted:

He's lucky he made it out, then! The aeration ponds I've seen are too deep to stand in, and the bubbles make the density too low for swimming. On top of that, the process results in a good deal of heat. People occasionally fall in, and they get simultaneously cooked alive and drown in sewage.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10682939

quote:

Les Raine, chief flying instructor at Southern Air Services, which operates out of the aerodrome, said the plane overshot the runway and "splashed into the water ... in the poo poo pond at the end".

"It just looks a bit sad sitting in the water," he told NZPA.

"(The) engine's full of water and gravy on it and everything, so that's probably $100,000 (of damage)," Mr Raine said.

Mr Raine said the wastewater treatment pond was quite shallow, about 1.2m deep.

The irony is the image in that article is poo poo.

The accident made it on to the NZ CAA magazine cover

https://www.caa.govt.nz/assets/legacy/Publications/Vector/Vector_2011-1_Jan-Feb.pdf

quote:

The Thames cess-pit is a good example of this. In the last
six years, three Cessna aircraft have ended up in the sewage
oxidation ponds at the end of Runway 14 at Thames
Aerodrome, a C150, and two C172s. Two of these encounters
show elements of get-there-itis

Google map:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...5!4d175.5521499

Phanatic posted:

How else are you supposed to fly IFR? A big portion of IFR training is beating "watch the instruments" *into* you.

At what point were anybody here discussing IFR?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Beverly Hillbillies reboot looking good.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you watch Forged in Fire you can watch guys make Damascus blades out of soup cans and toilet valves and pinballs and stuff.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/NeT0ZxU.mp4

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

:stare:

I mean, I know that can't be in flight but what the gently caress

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

veiled boner fuel posted:

If you watch Forged in Fire you can watch guys make Damascus blades out of soup cans and toilet valves and pinballs and stuff.

Pfft, kiwami japan made a kitchen knife out of underpants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=539OnO-YImk

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

veiled boner fuel posted:

Here's a guy that's made a hobby of doing that. https://www.youtube.com/user/shurap77/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5J4CguLRs4

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

DrPossum posted:

:stare:

I mean, I know that can't be in flight but what the gently caress

Sure it can, that layer is basically just a dust shield with a bezel. That has actually happened to me pre-flight: I sat down, leaned up against the wall a little, and the whole loving thing popped off. I could have just stuck it back up there for the sake of appearances, but I sat there a little too long trying to decide how to proceed, and so of course a mechanic had to be called out to look at it, say, "it's cosmetic," pop it back into place, to be dealt with at a future maintenance stop, and off we go. If we'd been in the air, it would have been much the same process, minus the mechanic. Those things are *made* to come off.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Bad Munki posted:

Sure it can, that layer is basically just a dust shield with a bezel. That has actually happened to me pre-flight: I sat down, leaned up against the wall a little, and the whole loving thing popped off. I could have just stuck it back up there for the sake of appearances, but I sat there a little too long trying to decide how to proceed, and so of course a mechanic had to be called out to look at it, say, "it's cosmetic," pop it back into place, to be dealt with at a future maintenance stop, and off we go. If we'd been in the air, it would have been much the same process, minus the mechanic. Those things are *made* to come off.

huh

OK well then I feel better. Windows for everyone

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't do Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Bad Munki posted:

you should've tucked it into your carry on and then later claimed it was an exterior window.