Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think the Jacksonville jokes will ever get stale

...Jokes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Florida man is no joke.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

It's been said before but the recognition of Eleanor of Jason's garbage being directly tied to Florida was great.

I really like how Eleanor and Jason have this kindred spirit energy going on throughout the series, like they're both utter trashbags and no matter how stupid Jason is Eleanor just kind of accepts it because of her own crap.

Yes he's a liability in season 1 but even at the most dire moments there's this sense that Eleanor "gets it" and it's more an issue of protecting him from himself than any real "who you are is WRONG".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I suddenly had the thought that Eleanor might sleep with Jason this season, as they share that trashbag vibe, and Chidi’s got his own thing going on with Simone. Maybe Jason will get a job as a mailman or something.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I suddenly had the thought that Eleanor might sleep with Jason this season, as they share that trashbag vibe, and Chidi’s got his own thing going on with Simone. Maybe Jason will get a job as a mailman or something.

My Eleanor/Tahani ship is aiming to broadside you but yeah I could see this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Wait... Trevor.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Wait... Trevor.

Oh you monster...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Renaissance Spam posted:

Oh you monster...

"Okay, hold on, I have to ask: is this thing gonna happen? - You and me?"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The_Doctor posted:

Wait... Trevor.

no

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The_Doctor posted:

Wait... Trevor.

"Smile babe."

Yeah most likely not going to happen.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I mean ... the group already rehabilitated one demon. Why stop there?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Zil posted:

"Smile babe."

Yeah most likely not going to happen.

None of the gang know who he is though (aside from Michael and Janet). And assume he’s going to maintain a cover.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

None of the gang know who he is though (aside from Michael and Janet). And assume he’s going to maintain a cover.

True, I just meant that he may not be able to avoid his natural instincts to be an absolute dick to anyone and everyone around him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

double nine posted:

I mean ... the group already rehabilitated one demon. Why stop there?

MEJ pointed it out on the podcast but that cliffhanger worked so well because Scott wasn't in douchebro mode. He was in Ben Wyatt mode.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

MEJ pointed it out on the podcast but that cliffhanger worked so well because Scott wasn't in douchebro mode. He was in Ben Wyatt mode.

I'm not familiar with Parks & Rec so I don't understand that reference, but there is no disguise that's going to withstand Eleanor's bullshit radar, eventually. It may take her a few episodes but she'll figure it out. Or Jason will, that beautiful idiot savant has sparks of genius .... sometimes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ben and Trevor both probably share the same love of calzones.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Zil posted:

True, I just meant that he may not be able to avoid his natural instincts to be an absolute dick to anyone and everyone around him.

He could easily just do the little things to torture them. The show has made it clear that everything the demon's do is designed to torture them, even the frozen yogurt. He'd probably be happy for quite a while just making things a little bit worse for them for a long time, especially since the alternative is Shawn cocooning him. It's gooey in there.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ben and Trevor both probably share the same love of calzones.

If I had to guess, based on Mike Schur lore, Trevor probably puts pineapple in them.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Clearly Trevor and Eleanor need to hook up as a Party Down reference.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

double nine posted:

I'm not familiar with Parks & Rec so I don't understand that reference, but there is no disguise that's going to withstand Eleanor's bullshit radar, eventually. It may take her a few episodes but she'll figure it out. Or Jason will, that beautiful idiot savant has sparks of genius .... sometimes.

Ben Wyatt is a pencil pusher and a wholesome dork:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRpP_XxVpM&t=69s

I can fully see Trevor failing to keep his facade up for more than an episode, though.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

BioThermo posted:

Ben Wyatt is a pencil pusher and a wholesome dork:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRpP_XxVpM&t=69s

I can fully see Trevor failing to keep his facade up for more than an episode, though.

... I may need to see this now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Low Cal Calzone Zone

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

double nine posted:

You're in for a huge treat. Ignore all the complaints about flanderization of the characters and enjoy the ride.

Seriously Ben Wyatt is one of the few characters I can think of in the entire history of television that came in midway through a show and made it better.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

double nine posted:

The sage TVIV advice is either to skip season 1 (which is only 6 episodes) or at least to not judge it by the first season.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

double nine posted:

How the hell youre in the good place thread and not watched parks and rec???

Go fix

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ben's stop motion movie is probably like, my favorite funny tv moment tied with the penguins don't fly gag from the Critic.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Doltos posted:

You're in for a huge treat. Ignore all the complaints about flanderization of the characters and enjoy the ride.

Seriously Ben Wyatt is one of the few characters I can think of in the entire history of television that came in midway through a show and made it better.

I like how it feels like "midway," but it's actually season 2.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

Ben's stop motion movie is probably like, my favorite funny tv moment tied with the penguins don't fly gag from the Critic.

Stand in the place where you l-

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Whiz Palace posted:

Stand in the place where you l-

Stand is like, such a loving pitch perfect song for that bit.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

... wait, reading up on this I think I actually watched the first episode and came away feeling very neutral about the whole deal. Is this like Blackadder where the first season is wildly different from the rest of the series in tone and/or quality?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yes. I remember basically nothing about season 1, because I never rewatch it. I think maybe the last episode is better than the other five?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yes. I still say watch it cause it's only 6 episodes but it can be skipped.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

double nine posted:

... wait, reading up on this I think I actually watched the first episode and came away feeling very neutral about the whole deal. Is this like Blackadder where the first season is wildly different from the rest of the series in tone and/or quality?

Parks & Rec was originally conceived as a spin-off/sequel to The Office, so Amy Poehler's character is treated as basically a lady Michael Scott for the first 3-4 episodes, before they realise she's much funnier and more endearing as a sort of hyper-competent and friendly bulldozer that just happens to work in this part of local government that most would think is lame and unimportant.

They course correct through early season 2 and then adjust again by bringing in 2 new regulars, including Adam Scott, at the end of season 2, to replace one guy who wasn't working. From about mid season 2 to early season 5 the show is gold, and it's still consistently entertaining and heartwarming until the end.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Parks and Rec model should be applied to pretty much every new sitcom, rather than immediately going to order a half/full season. Do 6 episodes late in the season, see what gels with the audience, think of differences that can be made to the characters and then spend time to make it better before producing the next batch. The first episode of S2 of Parks and Rec is such a massive upswing compared to S1, and The Office felt the same too (altho only 1x01 of that was truly bad and it did get a bit better throughout the first season, but again 2x01 was really solid).

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Parks & Rec was originally conceived as a spin-off/sequel to The Office, so Amy Poehler's character is treated as basically a lady Michael Scott for the first 3-4 episodes, before they realise she's much funnier and more endearing as a sort of hyper-competent and friendly bulldozer that just happens to work in this part of local government that most would think is lame and unimportant.

They course correct through early season 2 and then adjust again by bringing in 2 new regulars, including Adam Scott, at the end of season 2, to replace one guy who wasn't working. From about mid season 2 to early season 5 the show is gold, and it's still consistently entertaining and heartwarming until the end.

Alright, you sold me. I will give it another shot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Does it grow out of the cringe comedy thing in season 2 then?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The_Doctor posted:

Does it grow out of the cringe comedy thing in season 2 then?

Yeah, it gets more character driven in season 2, and it’s much less cringe comedy than season 1. Honestly, from season 2 on, the show holds up through the finale.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Snooze Cruise posted:

just something about the first quarter bar of "stand" playing is the funniest poo poo even when I hear it in a different context bc of this

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh good, embarrassment-based humour like the Office just makes me grind my teeth rather than laugh.

Also:
https://twitter.com/qikipedia/status/1035814521997127680

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

The_Doctor posted:

Oh good, embarrassment-based humour like the Office just makes me grind my teeth rather than laugh.

Also:
https://twitter.com/qikipedia/status/1035814521997127680

*janet voice* not a robot!