Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Maybe 15 is better than 13 but it's worse than 13-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

corn in the bible posted:

Maybe 15 is better than 13 but it's worse than 13-3

You might have an argument if S-E redid the entire beginning of the game where you have to look for glyphs or something. I'm pretty sure they lost a third of the players right there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Renoistic posted:

You might have an argument if S-E redid the entire beginning of the game where you have to look for glyphs or something. I'm pretty sure they lost a third of the players right there.

Ive played the game three times and the first two times I quit it was because of that quest.

The third time I quit ts because even with a guide I lothe the games core time mechanic

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I can't imagine needing a guide to beat the game in the time limit. What the gently caress were you doing

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Some people hate time limits on things no matter how generous they are.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

I can't imagine needing a guide to beat the game in the time limit. What the gently caress were you doing

The very generous time limit exists, which irritates me to no end, and second more pressingly everything has a specific time window in the day when it can occur with no indication what this is for side quests and it got tedious to chart out when and where to do sidequests so I wasnt standing around waiting for the next one to spawn.

Like, the game became a traveling salesman problem and Im not in the mood to solve those in my free time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

That’s me

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elephant Ambush posted:

i didn't mind the time limit but going through the city trying to find those glyphs did suck a lot.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Time limits give me the feeling that I need to rush. And I don't like that because I like to relax and explore and take my time. No matter how generous the limit is. And FFXIII-3 was very generous
But every second not playing optimally feels like a second wasted when its on a time limit to me.

Yes my brain is broken

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i didn't mind the time limit but going through the city trying to find those glyphs did suck a lot.

Hey heres a city where we havent even let you explore yet, find four things somewhere in it with no direction.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Sefal posted:

Time limits give me the feeling that I need to rush. And I don't like that because I like to relax and explore and take my time. No matter how generous the limit is. And FFXIII-3 was very generous
But every second not playing optimally feels like a second wasted when its on a time limit to me.

Yes my brain is broken

At least you have some self awareness.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sefal posted:

Yes my brain is broken

Well yeah, that’s a prerequisite for posting in this thread.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Elephant Ambush posted:

I know enough people who straight up refuse to play Majora's Mask because of the time mechanic despite it being an improvement on Ocarina of Time in almost every other area.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I hate time limits. Like was said above, makes me feel rushed. After XIII-2 was an awesome game full of exploration and doing random bullshit, I didn't want to lose that feeling.

It's also why I'll never do a speedrun. I play JRPGs to take my time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

When you think about it, aren't all games on a time limit?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

seiferguy posted:

I know enough people who straight up refuse to play Majora's Mask because of the time mechanic despite it being an improvement on Ocarina of Time in almost every other area.

Shameful.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Ocarina of Time was ok and Majora’s Mask was somehow way worse.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Time limits are fine as long as they make the mitigation extremely obvious and clarify exactly what you stand to lose. Majora's Mask worked because the cycle was so short and because you're required to let it run out at least once.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

I can conceptually appreciate putting the whole game on a time limit but I hated it in Lightning Strikes Twice just as much as I hated it in Dead Rising because I like to be able to ignore the plot for a while and just go bumble around for a bit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bongo Bill posted:

Time limits are fine as long as they make the mitigation extremely obvious and clarify exactly what you stand to lose. Majora's Mask worked because the cycle was so short and because you're required to let it run out at least once.

The tutorial shows you the time stop button and shows you fighting monsters in chaos zones gets you minimum 1 time stop in God Juice.

cock hero flux posted:

I can conceptually appreciate putting the whole game on a time limit but I hated it in Lightning Strikes Twice just as much as I hated it in Dead Rising because I like to be able to ignore the plot for a while and just go bumble around for a bit.

Even blind I beat all of the main stories and most side quests in 8 of 13 in game days. You've got time to bumble around.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Also despite being a limited time cycle, you have infinite cycles. FF13-3 makes it very clear that while you can extend the clock, there is a game over condition for running out of time.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You've got time to bumble around.

Bumbling isn't enjoyable when you have the majora's mask moon floating in the sky angrily checking its watch every couple of minutes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

Also despite being a limited time cycle, you have infinite cycles. FF13-3 makes it very clear that while you can extend the clock, there is a game over condition for running out of time.

LR has that too with NG+.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

LR has that too with NG+.

The game doesn't tell you what's at stake if the timer expires. New Game + usually means doing everything all over again, except while overleveled.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I guess I don't see why it's such a big deal for some people. It's a failure condition just like any other, and also incredibly lenient. It's not like the game says "you suck" and then permanently erases itself from your hard drive if you do fail.

Are people just afraid to fail?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I guess I don't see why it's such a big deal for some people. It's a failure condition just like any other, and also incredibly lenient. It's not like the game says "you suck" and then permanently erases itself from your hard drive if you do fail.

People get incredibly pissy about games with any sort of failure metrics or even anything with like ranking or scoring systems, like DMC, Bayonetta, etc etc because if they don't get a good one it's the game's fault.

So yes.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Fister Roboto posted:

I think the bigger thing is that it's an RPG, which people typically dump many many hours into. If you lose a fight in another game, or die in Dark Souls or something, you lose a couple minutes, or maybe an hour or two, tops. If you "lose" to the time limit running out and need to start the game over again (even on NG+), you're potentially losing many hours.

But I agree that the limit was very lenient and enjoyed LR quite a lot.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Fister Roboto posted:

It's not really a rational thing, and I don't think people are saying it is; it's just a thing that makes people nervous and jumpy, like knowing there's a jump scare in a game, or that it has spiders in it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It always seemed to me like Lightning Returns' NG+ was aiming for a Dead Rising sort of thing where you repeatedly fail and retry, but it doesn't work in practice because the game is too long, the start is too slow, and (thankfully, given the last two points) you're not forced to give NG+ a shot early because death in combat only costs an hour so the only fail state is getting to the end of the game which, like starting a new cycle, takes far too long.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Do you think there'll ever be an FFXVI and beyond
Me personally I think they're done with them

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Calaveron posted:

Do you think there'll ever be an FFXVI and beyond
Me personally I think they're done with them

Of course.

Question is more if it's gonna be an actual mainline game or an MMO.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Of course.

I mean, XIV feels like it’s been their most concrete recent success, so it’s plausible that XVI would be the follow-up once that winds down, unless they want to stick to the formula and make every third game an MMO.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
After the shitshow and miraculous recovery XIV was, you'd think they'd be a bit gunshy on doing another MMO

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean they're still making money from XI so I don't know what the rush is

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

seiferguy posted:

Of course.

Probably a mainline game with MMO elements. Like you are on your single player adventure, but your friend can bring their character along and you can team up to do stuff.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Both the MMOs and the single player games have been massive financial successes so they probably aren't going to stop either any time soon.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TheHeadSage posted:

Probably a mainline game with MMO elements. Like you are on your single player adventure, but your friend can bring their character along and you can team up to do stuff.

And engage in some sort of... joyous teamwork? Jovial assistance?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

And engage in some sort of... joyous teamwork? Jovial assistance?

If only Nomura could be so disgustungly bright.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

It always seemed to me like Lightning Returns' NG+ was aiming for a Dead Rising sort of thing where you repeatedly fail and retry, but it doesn't work in practice because the game is too long, the start is too slow, and (thankfully, given the last two points) you're not forced to give NG+ a shot early because death in combat only costs an hour so the only fail state is getting to the end of the game which, like starting a new cycle, takes far too long.

Yeah the failure condition is having to replay the games slow start and repeating the work you did in a game that takes many hours to finish and well not risking that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

People get incredibly pissy about games with any sort of failure metrics or even anything with like ranking or scoring systems, like DMC, Bayonetta, etc etc because if they don't get a good one it's the game's fault.

So yes.

That's a very strange way of putting it. I'm not bothered by game overs or bad rankings, I just don't enjoy time limits as a failure metric. Especially not in long, open ended games. Timed missions are tolerable but timing the entire game isn't something I like.