Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Having experienced a few more levels now I actually think Bounceman is a good starting point as well. His stage is fairly simple (though the gimmick gets annoying at times), his pattern is easy to deal with and his weapon is honestly pretty decent for crowd control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Beat the game, it was a lot of fun.

I appreciate that the way to counter Wily's final attack is to not use Double Gear at all.

I think my favorite stage was probably Blast Man's, though best miniboss probably goes to the Met-xcavator in Impact Man's stage.

Cutest Stage is of course Torch Man's Met Summer Camp though.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
So yeah... gently caress Wily 1 and gently caress that boss! That's enough Mega Man for today

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mulderman posted:

So yeah... gently caress Wily 1 and gently caress that boss! That's enough Mega Man for today

Remember Speed Gear.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Mulderman posted:

Power up blast mans weapon and he's hosed, you'll blow up his missiles along with him.

Also, I highly recommend reading the database entires under "extra modes". Someone had a lot of fun writing them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So does the Yellow Devil in the first fortress have a weakness? The eye doesn't stay open for very long so I just wound up buster dueling him.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Larryb posted:

So does the Yellow Devil in the first fortress have a weakness? The eye doesn't stay open for very long so I just wound up buster dueling him.

Powered up Chain Blast

The large bomb tears through his health.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Anyone know anything about the Mega Man 30th Anniversary Bundle coming to switch? There's the one on PSN and it seems like a great deal if you don't own any of the collections. I wana get them on switch but I'm not paying the $105 it would take, and I don't see the bundle on the eshop. I can't seem to find anything about it coming to the switch or not, when I try to google it it just brings up the release of the older collections.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

8 robot masters are down, and apparently so are the instrumental tracks. Really wish they did those for the whole game.

Larryb posted:

Having experienced a few more levels now I actually think Bounceman is a good starting point as well. His stage is fairly simple (though the gimmick gets annoying at times), his pattern is easy to deal with and his weapon is honestly pretty decent for crowd control.

I just started with Block Man due to playing the demo a dozen times or so

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I beat 3 bosses and learned the game dosne't auto save :suicide:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well I'm ready to punch a hole in a something, but probably because I'm sleepy and haven't had my coffee yet today. I mean, I'm not going to and I just alt+f4'd out of Impact Man's stage, but this game is still pissing me off.

I saw some of the spoilered upgrades already, but since I've only taken down Block Man:

-gently caress the massive knockback
-gently caress that you still drop to the floor and walk through the door like a goddamn Roomba
-What the poo poo is going on with the item drop rate?
-What the gently caress is up with this jerky ladder climbing animation?
-Why the piss is the slide so finicky? (Rebound that to B on the 360 pad, smooth now)
-Why are fecking hell are the pickaxe guys from MM1 here and upgraded to have expert AI from the Worms series?

Look, I'm grateful to be playing a new Megaman game. But the game seems designed from the ground up to be frustrating in hopes that the bullet-time gear will fix everything. I'll try a different stage in a few hours since Impact Man just stomped me dead while I didn't really learn his pattern.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

Well I'm ready to punch a hole in a something, but probably because I'm sleepy and haven't had my coffee yet today. I mean, I'm not going to and I just alt+f4'd out of Impact Man's stage, but this game is still pissing me off.

I saw some of the spoilered upgrades already, but since I've only taken down Block Man:

-gently caress the massive knockback
-gently caress that you still drop to the floor and walk through the door like a goddamn Roomba
-What the poo poo is going on with the item drop rate?
-What the gently caress is up with this jerky ladder climbing animation?
-Why the piss is the slide so finicky? (Rebound that to B on the 360 pad, smooth now)
-Why are fecking hell are the pickaxe guys from MM1 here and upgraded to have expert AI from the Worms series?

Look, I'm grateful to be playing a new Megaman game. But the game seems designed from the ground up to be frustrating in hopes that the bullet-time gear will fix everything. I'll try a different stage in a few hours since Impact Man just stomped me dead while I didn't really learn his pattern.

Item drop rate seems heavily skewed towards bolts. For good or ill they seemed to want you to focus on buying usable items rather than relying on random drops. You can get upgrades that change that but honestly if you're having trouble buying 5 E-tanks with the increased bolt drops is more likely to help you than a few extra health ups

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I am like 40 minutes into this, still haven't beaten an RM (or even seen all of the stages yet) but it's been fantastic so far. The bigger levels are fun, everything looks great, the Gear system is really cool without feeling intrusive, and the difficulty is there but coming off of X5 Sigma I'm really liking that too.

The only thing that's not really up to par is the music, but after Mighty No 9 and honestly MM9&10 this game seems really great.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The item drop rate can be increased and the knockback minimized via upgrades you can purchase from the shop.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 3, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Beat Impact, Bounce, Block, and Acid. Game's pretty fun, but the stange lengths do get a little stressful even in the easier ones.

Impact Man's weapon actually seems really good to me since it just no-sells any kind of shields like Joes or the flying Barriers. Bounce's weapon also made Acid's miniboss p easy since it was able to sneak into doing damage when it was spinning out.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

ImpAtom posted:

Item drop rate seems heavily skewed towards bolts. For good or ill they seemed to want you to focus on buying usable items rather than relying on random drops. You can get upgrades that change that but honestly if you're having trouble buying 5 E-tanks with the increased bolt drops is more likely to help you than a few extra health ups
That'd explain why I had 1400+ bolts when I quit out. I think lives are 50 and E-tanks were 100. Typing this out and realizing from here on I'll have to max out my poo poo between stages just... well I think it's mediocre design. The intention was likely "Customize your own difficulty!", but I just want to press start, choose a level, and begin shooting.

I'm old. That or I just don't like buying shop items that aren't permanent upgrades in my platformers :corsair:

Larryb posted:

The item drop rate can be increased and the knockback minimized via upgrades you can purchase from the shop.
I know. Weren't these still being spoilered though?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I know we’re talking Mega Man 11 but I’m playing through & Bass (SNES version fan translated) right now for the first time and I’m really enjoying it? It’s clearly reusing a lot of assets from 8 but it’s impressive how good it looks on a less powerful system. I’m digging the soundtrack a lot more and even the stage design. I’ve played through 4 stages as Mega Man and it doesn’t seem unusually more cheap or harder than the previous games.

When’s it supposed to get bad?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

I know we’re talking Mega Man 11 but I’m playing through & Bass (SNES version fan translated) right now for the first time and I’m really enjoying it? It’s clearly reusing a lot of assets from 8 but it’s impressive how good it looks on a less powerful system. I’m digging the soundtrack a lot more and even the stage design. I’ve played through 4 stages as Mega Man and it doesn’t seem unusually more cheap or harder than the previous games.

As Bass - particularly on GBA where he's stuck using command dash. But the MM route through the game is solid fun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

That'd explain why I had 1400+ bolts when I quit out. I think lives are 50 and E-tanks were 100. Typing this out and realizing from here on I'll have to max out my poo poo between stages just... well I think it's mediocre design. The intention was likely "Customize your own difficulty!", but I just want to press start, choose a level, and begin shooting.

I'm old. That or I just don't like buying shop items that aren't permanent upgrades in my platformers :corsair:

I know. Weren't these still being spoilered though?

Fair enough, corrected.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the difficulty is just loving weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the difficulty is just loving weird.

"It's designed to create your own difficulty" really seems to be the key there. It's entirely possible to finish it without using any of the gimmicks at all, using just the speed/power gear, buying upgrades but not consumables, and by shoving E-tanks into your mouth like a goddamn animal. It's hard to say how it really works because a lot of the time people will default to the easiest options, but on the other hand Mega Man fans are people who do buster only runs or whatnot so... hell if I know.

It's absolutely not a game that you can just pick up and play though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds like people came into it with the expectations of every other game that has built up over the years :shrug: I mean, if it’s there, why not use it? The bolts have a clear use.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'd also like to point out that Spring Man's level was 10x as much fun as Bounce Man's level.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wonder if people feel the stages are too long because they're new stages and they're used to running the older ones. I'm playing through on normal without using subweapons (outside rush and impact once to get a e-tank) and I'm finding it pretty well... normal? I game overed twice but other then that just kinda been pluggin away at it.

Only mini-boss I didn't like so far is the one in Impact's stage. I just e-tanked it because it kept trapping me against walls where I couldn't avoid damage so I'm honestly not sure what I'm supposed to do with him :/

Only have Block and Tundra left. Good game so far.

E: I accidentally summoned rush when I was fighting acid man. Hope that doesn't count against me lemoning all the bosses to death.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 3, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Maybe I missed something, but Torch Man's stage was pretty rough. Even using speed gear, one mistake in the wrong place could end it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wonder if people feel the stages are too long because they're new stages and they're used to running the older ones. I'm playing through on normal without using subweapons (outside rush and impact once to get a e-tank) and I'm finding it pretty well... normal? I game overed twice but other then that just kinda been pluggin away at it.

Only mini-boss I didn't like so far is the one in Impact's stage. I just e-tanked it because it kept trapping me against walls where I couldn't avoid damage so I'm honestly not sure what I'm supposed to do with him :/

Only have Block and Tundra left. Good game so far.

E: I accidentally summoned rush when I was fighting acid man. Hope that doesn't count against me lemoning all the bosses to death.

The Impact man one, when it lifts its shovel go UNDER it to the safe zone the first time and then dash/slide back out the second time.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So, is it better than Mighty no 9

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Oh yes, inarguably. Like the worst I can say about it is "it's completely generic Mega Man."

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Weirdly, 1ups and E-tanks seemingly don't reappear, even after stage clear, but the 100 Bolts do. Weird since any one translates to 2 lives or 1 Tank, and they usually aren't hidden especially hard.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah you can totally just start Block Man's stage, grab the first screen 100 Bolt, return to stage select, repeat. :psyduck:

Really weird considering how punitive they are about set in-stage lives and E-Tanks (not even the fake Eddies respawn their items, so on a replay they have nothing).

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Motto posted:

Weirdly, 1ups and E-tanks seemingly don't reappear, even after stage clear, but the 100 Bolts do. Weird since any one translates to 2 lives or 1 Tank, and they usually aren't hidden especially hard.

I noticed that too. They REALLY want you to use the shop huh?

Anyone know if those respawn on lower difficulties?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

I really rather like Wily 1 in this game. I enjoyed it enough to the point where I decided to speedrun it in time attack mode.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Doi4MgtUUAADdTm.jpg

It’s difficult, but it’s got a really great pace to the stage, where aside from pausing for a moment here and there, you can quickly rush past everything and keep moving past nearly every obstacle in your way. And despite what you expect out of the boss, you can kill it rather quickly.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Fargin Icehole posted:

There are few things that aren't. Hitler, for example, is not better than Mighty Number 9. Mighty Number 9 is such a low bar to clear that you'd have to rent a backhoe to reach it.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
You have give Mighty No. 9 credit, without it we wouldn't have MM 11.

......now remake the MMBN series for Switch, Capcom.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Okay, I think I love Impactman. His voice actor is clearly enjoying himself and his boss fight is hilarious. Dude owns.

EDIT: TOOOOO SPIKYYYYYYYYY~!

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 3, 2018

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

Okay, I think I love Impactman. His voice actor is clearly enjoying himself and his boss fight is hilarious. Dude owns.

I LIKE to SPIKE!

Crumble! Pummel! TUMBLE!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Also, Blockman's weapon owns for navigating Impactman's stage. gently caress you, Picketmen and rocket-cone-dudes and construction vehicle robot, eat a bag of bricks.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Wily 1 was hell when I played on Superhero mode but I think I can do this whole thing can be done without firing at all but I'm not that crazy to do that https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DojJ2AtVsAAZvGg.jpg:large

Edit: HELP https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DojafDiU8AEr5iI.jpg:large

OgretailFood fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 3, 2018

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
There was discussion a couple weeks ago about favorite series boss and I'd like to late answer that with "Fuse Man" because holy poo poo that fight is so fun.

Finished my first playthrough in just over 3 hours. I love it, will write up more in spoiler text later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm glad that they kept the Energy Balancer in 11. I just played an otherwise very good fan game without it, and I hadn't realised how much I missed it until I didn't have it anymore.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I liked it fine myself. Utterly vilified in this thread, but I think that most people played the GBA version.