Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Okay, I let Win10 1803 installer do it's thing on a paved drive, so that's Windows' fuckup, but whatever, how do I expand it, Disk Management is greying the option out on that partition, and I have 50GB worth of unallocated space.
If windows made an adequate system partition (400 - 500mb) then the problem isn't that it's too small but that it's somehow gotten full of junk.

You could try using disk cleanup to clean all the system restore points (disk cleanup -> clean up system files -> more). I think that will hit the restore partition?

Ghostlight posted:

You can only resize partitions to include space directly on their right-side, so you would have to clone your drive off, remove the partition, resize the system reserved partition, recreate the OS partition then clone your drive back on.

or just use a better partition editor than window's built in disk manager

MS's own help article on the subject tells people to use minitool partition wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghostlight posted:

If that's the case you're better off ignoring it.

You can only resize partitions to include space directly on their right-side, so you would have to clone your drive off, remove the partition, resize the system reserved partition, recreate the OS partition then clone your drive back on.

I'm reading this as "just pave and reinstall" then, got it.

Klyith posted:

If windows made an adequate system partition (400 - 500mb) then the problem isn't that it's too small but that it's somehow gotten full of junk.

You could try using disk cleanup to clean all the system restore points (disk cleanup -> clean up system files -> more). I think that will hit the restore partition?

No, the partition is very clearly 100MB. Maybe the problem is I didn't truly pave it with dban, but just told Windows Setup to just delete the old partitions and install over the now unallocated space?

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 3, 2018

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Ok, I’m about to reinstall windows clean... formatting the SSD and starting over.

it’s a gaming/development desktop machine. I plan to install steam and visual studio 2017 and python and maybe have some Linux vms. What version should i install? Pro, enterprise or pro for workstations?

I have an MSDN enterprise sub so licensing isn’t an issue. I really don’t want candy crush or whatever on my machine. I hate stuff being installed that I didn’t put there

Thx

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

No, the partition is very clearly 100MB. Maybe the problem is I didn't truly pave it with dban, but just told Windows Setup to just delete the old partitions and install over the now unallocated space?

pffft windows installer would be dumb enough to preserve the partition structure of partitions you just deleted. :downsgun:

Doing a clean reinstall on an OEM laptop I think I remember having to delete partitions then reboot before actually installing, because otherwise it wanted to make a 5gb restore partition matching what the laptop came with. No, bad windows! I deleted that partition because I don't want an OS restore that's full of crapware. And if I don't need a restore partition full of crapware, I'll take the 5 gigs back thank you very much.

namlosh posted:

Ok, I’m about to reinstall windows clean... formatting the SSD and starting over.

it’s a gaming/development desktop machine. I plan to install steam and visual studio 2017 and python and maybe have some Linux vms. What version should i install? Pro, enterprise or pro for workstations?

I have an MSDN enterprise sub so licensing isn’t an issue. I really don’t want candy crush or whatever on my machine. I hate stuff being installed that I didn’t put there

Thx

if you have the license deffo go enterprise. the only downside is you get the major updates later but that's not a downside most of the time.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Klyith posted:

the only downside [to enterprise] is you get the major updates later

You're free to be on the current build with Enterprise.

Edit: Ah, I get what you meant. If you don't do anything, you aren't going to be the first person in the staged rollout with Enterprise (which is a good thing) unless you've got some update management setup.

You're of course free to update it yourself, if you want the new build that badly.

astral fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 3, 2018

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Updated to 1809 on two of my computers. Went smoothly, Microsoft is getting better at this.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Anyone have any general advice for how-to wipe a Windows 10 machine with an SSD and get it ready for sale? My father's decided he wants to go back to Apple and bought a really old used Mac Mini rather than waiting for the rumored update later this year, and so I've been tasked with selling his old machine. Since SSDs are essentially impossible to securely wipe (as far as I know?) I assume it's best to just remove the hard drive and sell as-is without it? Or should I do a fresh install of Windows 10 first and then remove the hard drive to be on the safe side? I'll have a use for the SSD anyways since it will go into my PC fine but I was wondering if there's anything I should know or any particular order that I should do things in?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Anyone have any general advice for how-to wipe a Windows 10 machine with an SSD and get it ready for sale? My father's decided he wants to go back to Apple and bought a really old used Mac Mini rather than waiting for the rumored update later this year, and so I've been tasked with selling his old machine. Since SSDs are essentially impossible to securely wipe (as far as I know?) I assume it's best to just remove the hard drive and sell as-is without it? Or should I do a fresh install of Windows 10 first and then remove the hard drive to be on the safe side? I'll have a use for the SSD anyways since it will go into my PC fine but I was wondering if there's anything I should know or any particular order that I should do things in?

If I understand correctly, you're going to remove the SSD from the PC, and you want to wipe a separate hard drive that's inside it.

If you do a single pass of zeroes to the hard drive, that should be enough. You could always use something simple like DBAN instead, of course.

astral fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 3, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Good news: Flushing an SSD is a lot easier and faster than DOD-7ing a HDD.

Bad news: Because what your SSD presents to your OS is not exactly what is going on under the hood, SSDs do not have any physically-indexable locations, so you can't target a specific sector, and alternate 0s and 1s on it until any trace of what might have been tehre is gone.

Good news: Whether you set it or not, SSDs usually use on-disk encryption of some sort. Tell the SSD to throw away the key, and the data is useless.

Bad news: SSDs shuffle files around to ensure that all the NAND wears evenly, and even holds some unallocated blocks in reserve that they may also use as a cache, or a buffer while shifting files around. While normally inaccessible during normal usage, files could continue to exist there after you've "deleted" them from the SSD. (really, marking them as eligible for repurposing via TRIM.)

Good news: You can use hdparm under Linux to issue an ATA Secure Erase command, which tells the SSD to apply a voltage spike to every NAND cell in unison, in effect, purging every available block in one operation. It consumes one complete write cycle across the entire drive, but if you absolutely, positively, have to nuke the data on a drive, this is the correct way to do it.

Bad news: I don't know of any way to do that with Windows's built-in tools. I keep a few Ubuntu images on hand to specifically deal with this, because it's free.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SUNKOS posted:

Since SSDs are essentially impossible to securely wipe (as far as I know?)

SSDs are easy to securely erase. Anything that's not ancient should support the ATA secure erase, which allows the drive itself to do the erase in the optimal fashion. On some SSDs that writes to all the flash cells, but at the very least will make the drive erase it's own mapping table. Without that data recovery is not going to happen -- SSDs don't store data in any physically continuous way, the map is how they know what's where.

The easiest way to do that on windows is to download whatever utility software from your drive's maker. (For example samsung magician.)

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So Microsoft can't be this stupid right, there's gotta be an option for this... right?

Is there a way to turn dark mode off for "Windows Explorer" but keep it as the default for other apps like "Settings" and "Calculator"?

Like can't be that stupid... No way.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Im_Special posted:

So Microsoft can't be this stupid right, there's gotta be an option for this... right?

Is there a way to turn dark mode off for "Windows Explorer" but keep it as the default for other apps like "Settings" and "Calculator"?

Like can't be that stupid... No way.

Uh, why would they? When you picked Hot Dog Stand you got Hot Dog Stand on every window, they didn't exempt File Manager...

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Klyith posted:

or just use a better partition editor than window's built in disk manager

MS's own help article on the subject tells people to use minitool partition wizard.

Alright, that did it. There was a funny tiny little partition in between the reserved and OS partition that didn't show up on Windows' default disk manager that I had to delete, and the system seems initially slow as it tries to find all the files that got shifted over 400mb physically, but otherwise it seems fine. Point is, the update went through, and unlike my desktop, the sound drivers didn't stop working and have to be replaced with the generic Microsoft ones. Might even be able to get grub working now and be able to use Linux again.

And even if it screwed up, I can just pave it all anyway, I didn't put anything vital on this machine after backing up and imaging just before trying to update. Thanks.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

fishmech posted:

Uh, why would they? When you picked Hot Dog Stand you got Hot Dog Stand on every window, they didn't exempt File Manager...

Why would they do an all or nothing option like that, especially how bad the explorer looks as dark, metro apps or whatever they're called looks fine, they have so much empty space in them that the white sucks to look at, explorer doesn't have this problem, and everything was fine how it was in 1803 with the dark/white combo.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Im_Special posted:

Why would they do an all or nothing option like that

Why did you pick dark if you didn't want dark? It was an aberration that they only had a halfass dark mode for the past like 3 years, similar options in Windows have always been all or nothing.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
If it's any consolation, it's still actually better than Apple's awful dark mode.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

IAmKale posted:

Has anyone taken Your Phone out for a spin? I switched to macOS from Windows for work, then an iPhone X from a Pixel because of how convenient iMessages integration is for sending SMS/MMS/group text on the desktop. I'm really hoping Your Phone is a competent take on that, I wouldn't mind going back to Android and Windows.

You don't need "Your Phone", just use Google's SMS app Android Messages. It has a pretty competent web interface. And you don't even need to buy a special computer to use it!

Alright, that did it. There was a funny tiny little partition in between the reserved and OS partition that didn't show up on Windows' default disk manager that I had to delete, and the system seems initially slow as it tries to find all the files that got shifted over 400mb physically, but otherwise it seems fine. Point is, the update went through, and unlike my desktop, the sound drivers didn't stop working and have to be replaced with the generic Microsoft ones. Might even be able to get grub working now and be able to use Linux again.

And even if it screwed up, I can just pave it all anyway, I didn't put anything vital on this machine after backing up and imaging just before trying to update. Thanks.

The next time you reinstall your Windows, be sure sure to install in UEFI mode. Should improve startup times by quite a bit.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 3, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

SUNKOS posted:

astral posted:

If I understand correctly, you're going to remove the SSD from the PC, and you want to wipe a separate hard drive that's inside it.

If you do a single pass of zeroes to the hard drive, that should be enough. You could always use something simple like DBAN instead, of course.

Don't DBAN/zero out either drive, always use ATA Secure Erase. ATA Secure erasing an SSD will take seconds and delete/secure wipe all data but hours to days on an HDD.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 3, 2018

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

astral posted:

The PC just has the SSD in it since it was only used for browsing/financial stuff etc. and there wasn't a need for a lot of storage. The SSD is a Samsung 850 Evo, if I remember right. No partitions or anything, just that one drive with Windows 10 Pro installed on it.

Klyith posted:

SSDs are easy to securely erase. Anything that's not ancient should support the ATA secure erase, which allows the drive itself to do the erase in the optimal fashion. On some SSDs that writes to all the flash cells, but at the very least will make the drive erase it's own mapping table. Without that data recovery is not going to happen -- SSDs don't store data in any physically continuous way, the map is how they know what's where.

The easiest way to do that on windows is to download whatever utility software from your drive's maker. (For example samsung magician.)

Lambert posted:

Don't DBAN/zero out either drive, always use ATA Secure Erase. ATA Secure erasing an SSD will take seconds and delete/secure wipe all data but hours to days on an HDD.

Thanks for the info. I actually Googled the Samsung SSD and saw some results about people complaining it wasn't working with Samsung Magician and freezing/breaking somehow. Right now I'm tempted to just remove the SSD to keep and replace with a HDD in the same slot. I'm familiar with wiping mechanical drives but then again the Magician site says the 850 Evo is supported so I can always give it a try and if worst comes to worst swap out with a new 2.5" HDD and do a fresh install for sale?

Thanks for the help everyone.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Klyith posted:

if you have the license deffo go enterprise. the only downside is you get the major updates later but that's not a downside most of the time.

Thank you!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I loaded the phone companion app and so far all it does show a loading /refreshing thing about Recent Photos. Nothing ever shows up. This is with a Samsung S6 phone. Worthless.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

redeyes posted:

I loaded the phone companion app and so far all it does show a loading /refreshing thing about Recent Photos. Nothing ever shows up. This is with a Samsung S6 phone. Worthless.

Are you talking about the old phone companion app that's always been useless or the new one that that just rolled out with the newest Windows update?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Everyone here just uses WhatsApp which has an excellent desktop client. Thank god.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

isndl posted:

Are you talking about the old phone companion app that's always been useless or the new one that that just rolled out with the newest Windows update?

Nah, I It's called Your Phone, then I loaded the app it wants loaded on my Android phone. Logged into my MS account on both and... NOTHING! Maybe it needs a newer Android OS version. If so it doesn't say anything about that.

[edit] Tried a S7, same crap. It will send a text message but won't receive anything, nor show me photos. Boooooo. Apparently the app looks in the Camera Roll folder for photos but android phones don't save photos there!! WTF

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 3, 2018

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

namlosh posted:

Thx

Pro for Workstations. It has that fancy new Ultimate Power setting :)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hey for anyone like me who runs LTSB/LTSC for their organization, the 2019 build just appeared in the VLSC. Haven't tried it, but it's built on 1809, so that should knock down a lot of little stupid hangups that have been accumulating.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
One PC updated just fine to 1809, but another is having an issue where after any user on the machine logs in there's a weird 30 second to up to two minutes of waiting time staring at a black screen with a mouse cursor. If you hit the Windows key the menu shows up, but any program or app you launch just disappears into the void as it goes dark again until Windows decides to start showing the desktop/taskbar.

Tried updating video drivers, but that doesn't seem to be it.

Gonna wait a bit before updating the rest.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the Game Bar by default for new users.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Windows just wants to take them to the game bar game bar, game bar

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Reddit seems up in arms about how this update is wiping My Docs, My Pictures and My Music? Something to be aware of, I suppose, if you're dumb and don't do regular backups.

That said, my update went totally smoothly and all my stuff is still there (I also back up regularly :smug:).

Aside, I've never had Candy Crush reinstall after an update but apparently that's a thing that happens to the average Reddit user regularly?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Stanley Pain posted:

Pro for Workstations. It has that fancy new Ultimate Power setting :)

Ooooooo, sounds intriguing. I assumed I shouldn’t install pro for workstations since I didn’t have any of the fancy hardware it takes advantage of, but maybe I’ll have to take another look

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GreenNight posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the Game Bar by default for new users.

in administrator power shell:
code:
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where-Object DisplayName -In "Microsoft.XboxApp" | Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where-Object DisplayName -In "Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay" | Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where-Object DisplayName -In "Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay" | Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online
this removes the apps for all users. they come back the next major update.

Snuffman posted:

Aside, I've never had Candy Crush reinstall after an update but apparently that's a thing that happens to the average Reddit user regularly?
Had it happen with the first 2017 update but not since. The last time it didn't even reset my group policy settings that block ad apps.

Honestly the candy crush / other ad apps are so not worth being mad over. They're not even a real program, people who grouch about "taking up space on my system" are wrong. It's just a start tile to a dummy app that installs the thing from the MS store if you launch it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Klyith posted:

in administrator power shell:
code:
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where-Object DisplayName -In "Microsoft.XboxApp" | Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where-Object DisplayName -In "Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay" | Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where-Object DisplayName -In "Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay" | Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online
this removes the apps for all users. they come back the next major update.

Had it happen with the first 2017 update but not since. The last time it didn't even reset my group policy settings that block ad apps.

Honestly the candy crush / other ad apps are so not worth being mad over. They're not even a real program, people who grouch about "taking up space on my system" are wrong. It's just a start tile to a dummy app that installs the thing from the MS store if you launch it.

None of those apps exist, but the Game Bar is still there. Check it -

I typically wouldn't care but management shits themselves if there is anything game related on a computer.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RE: The placeholder tiles that saddle you with Candy Crush etc:

If you have to reinstall Windows, a neat trick to avoid Candy Crush etc is to keep the computer off the Internet (unplug Ethernet, pop SIM cards, not attach to Wi-Fi, etc) until whatever name change you do to your computer in Settings: System > About instead of DESKTOP-GIBBERISH takes effect in Devices & Printers, and use the time to remove the placeholder tiles from the Start menu. Or like however long it takes to install and configure drivers and restart, whatever, but a name that lets you recognize your computer in the network inventory at your router/gateway/whatever isn't a bad idea.

If they never reach the Internet before they're removed, their 'download garbage' triggers can never fire.

EDIT: Of course, this only works for a personal computer and per-account; wonder what people use for deploying environments.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 4, 2018

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
If I turned into a gross Linux nerd last month and installed Ubuntu, with GRUB on the same partition as my old Windows boot manager, am I supposed to be having issues with updating to w10 1809 now?

I successfully updated on a different pure-Windows desktop yesterday and noticed that the update was messing around installing stuff with the display drivers not loaded, so clearly there was some lower-level changes going on.

If there shouldn't be any issues on my dual-boot laptop, what gives? Windows Update returns 0x8024200d

Late edit: Nevermind, got it taken care of with the Media Creation Tool

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 5, 2018

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

dont be mean to me posted:

If you have to reinstall Windows, a neat trick to avoid Candy Crush etc is to keep the computer off the Internet (unplug Ethernet, pop SIM cards, not attach to Wi-Fi, etc)

It's nice that Windows 10 recreates that nostalgic feeling of installing from original Windows XP media during the Blaster worm days.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Klyith posted:

They're not taking up an amount of space anyone should ever care about, but they are not placeholders - the Start tile initiates a download as soon as internet becomes available.

The best way to avoid them is to delete C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\DefaultLayouts.xml which forces all new profiles to be created with only Edge, Settings, and Explorer pinned.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ghostlight posted:

They're not taking up an amount of space anyone should ever care about, but they are not placeholders - the Start tile initiates a download as soon as internet becomes available.

The best way to avoid them is to delete C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\DefaultLayouts.xml which forces all new profiles to be created with only Edge, Settings, and Explorer pinned.

This is what I was looking for; thank you.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

baka kaba posted:

Windows just wants to take them to the game bar game bar, game bar

I appreciated this.

NOW TELL ME
DO YOU HAVE ANY MONEY?
I WANNA SPEND ALL YOUR MONEY
AT THE WINDOWS STORE WINDOWS STORE WINDOWS STORE WOO!

I'VE GOT SOMETHING TO PUT IN YOU. It's a feature update you don't want. *reboots*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Windows 10 October 2018 Update is deleting user data

BECAUSE OF COURSE IT loving IS.

I AM SO GODDAMN TIRED OF ALL THE GODDAMN COMPUTER JANITORING I HAVE TO DO WITH THIS GODDAMN OS.