Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

Bombay Bicycle Club? We used to go there reasonably often and haven't been back since they did that.

Yeah, aside from being a neoliberal shithead the guy that ran the place was racist too. We stopped going there after a friend of mine gave him a serve, and this was before his complaining about wages. When we saw that pop up we were already boycotting the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cpt Soban posted:

And that is how you run a small business- Treat your employees as a TEAM MEMBER, and reward them for doing a good job. Not only is it easy as gently caress to do- You'll be reward in return. Even simple poo poo like "hey guys great work today here's (can of coke on a hot day, or a beer, or any small reward). Or even a THANKYOU goes a long way. Treat your staff as simply a cost figure on a sheet of paper- And you'll get a higher turnover rate of staff.

it's funny, because out of the lovely small business owners i've come across (not working for, just dealings with)

- some people go off into small business because they don't want to work for some rear end in a top hat, and in the process become an rear end in a top hat with zero insight
- some people just want to feel like they're important so start up a business to lord it over others
- others have decent intent, but don't know how to run a business and end up stressing and screwing down hard on their employees which becomes some sort of negative feedback loop

that's not an exhaustive list, but the first two i've come across a lot.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lion announced job cuts at the Milton XXXX Brewery, after the union protested the leaks of job cuts and outsourcing jobs to NSW and bringing in casual contracts. Then Lion got the FWC to stop union protests because the FWC ruled the union wasn't protesting in good faith.

Today Lion announces job cuts and I've read the Courier Mail comments section and they all blame the union for biting the hand that feeds them. :allears:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

froglet posted:

I'll laugh if/when the wages increase leads to a slight increase in Christmas sales.

the headline will be "christmas sales up in spite of wage increase"

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

froglet posted:

I'll laugh if/when the wages increase leads to a slight increase in Christmas sales.
But will they recognize the cause and effect or blame wage increases on diminishing their profit margins???

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hambeet posted:

it's funny, because out of the lovely small business owners i've come across (not working for, just dealings with)

- some people go off into small business because they don't want to work for some rear end in a top hat, and in the process become an rear end in a top hat with zero insight
- some people just want to feel like they're important so start up a business to lord it over others
- others have decent intent, but don't know how to run a business and end up stressing and screwing down hard on their employees which becomes some sort of negative feedback loop

that's not an exhaustive list, but the first two i've come across a lot.

The ones that don't want to work for someone else are always the worst because they've already headed in with a superiority complex despite most likely being a raging imbecile.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Senor Tron posted:

Bombay Bicycle Club? We used to go there reasonably often and haven't been back since they did that.
They once charged a group event I went to extra per head because we didn't fill the booking numbers and they'd brought extra steak in anticipation.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Trip report: no gangs so far. Did have to share the front of a 737 with Matt Canavan though.

I need several showers.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Why pay more wages when you can beg the banks to up credit card limits?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
OK Martin lets run that through the Cartoon facts checker...

https://www.expatica.com/fr/employment/french-minimum-wage-and-average-salary-in-france_982310.html

Minimum wage in France is €9.88 per hour that is $15.94 AUD.

Minimum wage in Australia is $18.93.

$18.93 x1/10 = $1.89 =/= $15.94. Not even close. Conclusion:

Martin you are an ignorant poo poo dribbling clown. Please gently caress up and die.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cartoon posted:

OK Martin lets run that through the Cartoon facts checker...

https://www.expatica.com/fr/employment/french-minimum-wage-and-average-salary-in-france_982310.html

Minimum wage in France is €9.88 per hour that is $15.94 AUD.

Minimum wage in Australia is $18.93.

$18.93 x1/10 = $1.89 =/= $15.94. Not even close. Conclusion:

Martin you are an ignorant poo poo dribbling clown. Please gently caress up and die.

These countries are also piling on large percentage increases each year (except the UK but gently caress them). Not to mention the fact that a lot of basic goods in the EU and Canada cost much less when compared to our small distant marketplace.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Bowenchris/status/1047313520491081728

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Big Mac index puts the purchasing power difference between euro zone and australia at about 5%

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Anidav posted:

Lion announced job cuts at the Milton XXXX Brewery, after the union protested the leaks of job cuts and outsourcing jobs to NSW and bringing in casual contracts. Then Lion got the FWC to stop union protests because the FWC ruled the union wasn't protesting in good faith.

Today Lion announces job cuts and I've read the Courier Mail comments section and they all blame the union for biting the hand that feeds them. :allears:

Union: "You're planning job cuts so workers have voted to protest in order to protect their jobs"

Lion: "HOW DARE YOU WE'RE TAKING YOU TO THE FWC"

Lion: "We're now planning job cuts"

News LTD readers: "I blame the Unions"

If anything, the business bit the workers first

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Update: currently walking up St Kilda road. No apex gangs yet. Will continue to update until I am inevitably captured and held to ransom because Melbourne is the new Rio

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Smelt fart in elevator, pretty sure it's the Southside Gang. I was viably shaken and contacted my local LNP candidates. Thoughts and prayers

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

Update: currently walking up St Kilda road. No apex gangs yet. Will continue to update until I am inevitably captured and held to ransom because Melbourne is the new Rio

if you don't encounter an Apex Gang maybe its you who is the Apex Gang.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

GoldStandardConure posted:

if you don't encounter an Apex Gang maybe its you who is the Apex Gang.

Bloody out of staters, coming here and taking jobs from hardworking fictitious criminals

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

bell jar posted:

State & Territory Treasurers have come together to agree to scrap the tax on tampons and other feminine hygiene products. Another nail in the coffin for the Liberals, who spearheaded and accomplished this reform on tax, while Labor will definitely coast to victory in the next election, having rejected the notion for the entirety of its time in opposition apart from the last 6 months, when Bill Shorten learned that women vote

Woah haven’t the liberals been in power for 5 years now? It’s labors fault it took so long.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Frydenberg on the radio now saying that negative gearing is aimed at battlers because over a million people that partake in it have a taxable income of less than $80,000p/a.

Hmmmmm... I wonder what they could be doing to lower their taxable income?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

monkeu posted:

Woah haven't the liberals been in power for 5 years now? It's labors fault it took so long.

Only a party with a Minister for Women could make this happen

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Good of the LNP to implement Labor’s policies though

https://twitter.com/catherinekingmp/status/990311714699841536?s=21

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

monkeu posted:

bell jar posted:

State & Territory Treasurers have come together to agree to scrap the tax on tampons and other feminine hygiene products. Another nail in the coffin for the Liberals, who spearheaded and accomplished this reform on tax, while Labor will definitely coast to victory in the next election, having rejected the notion for the entirety of its time in opposition apart from the last 6 months, when Bill Shorten learned that women vote

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/25/the-tampon-tax-is-not-a-marginal-issue-its-the-force-of-structural-sexism-at-work

quote:

There was a brief moment of hope for Australian women in 2015 when Joe Hockey agreed to consult the states about lifting the goods and services tax on menstrual products. Alas, the state treasurers couldn’t agree to remove the tax because stimulating economic growth was considered more important.

At the time, Labor claimed to support lifting the GST and shadow treasurer Chris Bowen said: “These are in effect health products and aren’t simply a matter of choice for women.”

And then along came the federal election campaign during which Bill Shorten changed his mind, saying “we can’t afford” to lose the revenue.

He needs the revenue. Let’s just think about that for a moment.

July 2016

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Meanwhile the LNP campaign room has decided to portray Bill Shorten as a hunchbacked pickpocket.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Did I miss the time in the past five years when the Liberals weren’t in control?!

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

It's so good of Labor to go hard on tampon tax like the RC into banks they supposedly bullied the LNP into, and thats why we don't have the tampon tax anymore. Only a reactionary party would change their policy on the back of a wave of popular thought after successful repeals of tampon taxes in notorious loving hellholes like New York

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

monkeu posted:

Did I miss the time in the past five years when the Liberals weren’t in control?!

Maybe if he'd campaigned in 2016 on repealing the tampon tax he'd have won? But it wasn't in his policy and he lost :shrug:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

bell jar posted:

Maybe if he'd campaigned in 2016 on repealing the tampon tax he'd have won? But it wasn't in his policy and he lost :shrug:

Parties change their policies all the time. Only a truly moronic and incompetent government would keep their policies on things like fossil fuels for example frozen despite mounting evidence that they’re not only unreliable but also economically a disaster. In their defense the liberals have technically shifted their policy though - they used to have an energy policy (albeit a terrible one) but now they don’t have one at all.

As I said though, labor announced this policy six months ago. Nice for the liberals to finally implement it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/LaundyCraigMP/status/1047392670564331520

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Minimum wage for a waiter in Denmark is 117 DKK, or $25.33 AUD.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

monkeu posted:

Parties change their policies all the time. Only a truly moronic and incompetent government would keep their policies on things like fossil fuels for example frozen despite mounting evidence that they’re not only unreliable but also economically a disaster. In their defense the liberals have technically shifted their policy though - they used to have an energy policy (albeit a terrible one) but now they don’t have one at all.

As I said though, labor announced this policy six months ago. Nice for the liberals to finally implement it.

Do you somehow think that I am praising the Coalition? I'm condemning Labor for being a carbon copy of them, with little to no difference in policy - the difference in policy literally becoming smaller by the day as the Government passes the populist platforms that Shorten has only adopted in the farcical hope that it would convince people that the ALP aren't just interested in gaining power and maintaining the status quo. A vote for either party is a vote for the same neo liberal bullshit economic ideology. The same needlessly punitive, inhumane (and probably illegal) refugee policies that leave us an international disgrace. The same approaches to funding infrastructure through privatisation, and privatisation of existing infrastructure. There is no difference apart from, apparently, a small change to franking credits.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

monkeu posted:

Remove the GST on beer- Watch the ALP score 90% majority

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

JBP posted:

These countries are also piling on large percentage increases each year (except the UK but gently caress them). Not to mention the fact that a lot of basic goods in the EU and Canada cost much less when compared to our small distant marketplace.

It's also completely irrelevant what it costs to go to a restaurant/cafe/pub in France, Germany, UK or Canada because nobody in Australia is going to fly there for because it's too expensive here.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
"But mum, all of my friends are grossly exploiting the proletariat!"
"If all your friends were jumping off cliffs, would you do it?"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Cpt Soban posted:

Union: "You're planning job cuts so workers have voted to protest in order to protect their jobs"

Lion: "HOW DARE YOU WE'RE TAKING YOU TO THE FWC"

Lion: "We're now planning job cuts"

News LTD readers: "I blame the Unions"

If anything, the business bit the workers first

And they will get away with it too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What the gently caress is he on about here?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Subterranean Africa.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I bless the morlocks down in Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just say that you think it's horseshit that your party is having its strings pulled by a small number of religious dickheads. Get a loving backbone. I will vote for the first visible backbone next election.

• Locked thread