Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I didn't like XIII's rating system for fights either because it actively punishes slow careful play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Slow, careful play is antithetical to the Stagger system and leads to hour-long Barthandelus fights that have to be mercy killed (and then people complain about Doom). Having some incentive to actually learn the system instead of turtling up is a good thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I didn't like XIII's rating system for fights either because it actively punishes slow careful play.

The issue with this (in a lot of games) is that slow and careful play is usually also extremely boring play and actively punishing it is one of the few ways to both include slower options without getting people to rely on them. It may sound dumb but people will actively refuse to use fun playstyles if there's a safe-and-effective style that is boring as poo poo and adding an incentive to use the faster playstyles is a must.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well, no, it passively punishes you. And it doesn't even punish you, because lower ratings increase the drop rate for battle buff items like fortisols, which are very powerful.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I would pay money for "Dark Souls, but Final Fantasy"

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Gologle posted:

I would pay money for "Dark Souls, but Final Fantasy"

googling fantasy souls gave me this. Make of it what you will. I'd play a hardcore food based action jrpg.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 3, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

AlphaKretin posted:

It always seemed to me like Lightning Returns' NG+ was aiming for a Dead Rising sort of thing where you repeatedly fail and retry, but it doesn't work in practice because the game is too long, the start is too slow, and (thankfully, given the last two points) you're not forced to give NG+ a shot early because death in combat only costs an hour so the only fail state is getting to the end of the game which, like starting a new cycle, takes far too long.

They didn't expect you to fail and retry, and I have trouble believing anyone has ever run out of time because of how many ways you can stretch that time out and how little you actually have to do to get the final boss

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I mean the final design certainly isn't there, as I alluded to it would be completely unreasonable. But things like weapon reforging only existing in NG+ makes me think there might have been vague plans at some point.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

ImpAtom posted:

The issue with this (in a lot of games) is that slow and careful play is usually also extremely boring play and actively punishing it is one of the few ways to both include slower options without getting people to rely on them. It may sound dumb but people will actively refuse to use fun playstyles if there's a safe-and-effective style that is boring as poo poo and adding an incentive to use the faster playstyles is a must.

let people play the "boring as poo poo" style if that's what they want imo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lessail posted:

They can, they just have to deal with some games encouraging them to not do that. If they can't deal with that, then I dunno what to say.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lessail posted:

if you want a boring as poo poo final fantasy there's always 12

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lessail posted:

There's a lot of people who rate games poorly because they go for the boring as poo poo style and it turns out that it's boring as poo poo. So yeah, maybe nudge them towards your intended playstyle if your game's supposed to have one. I know my experience in games with rating systems tends to get improved when I actually go for the playstyle they encourage.

If your game's not supposed to have one, that's an entirely different problem to solve.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
It's been a while since I played xiii is bart the only boss that auto kills you if you take too long

Cause I figure something like that will get people to rate games poorly too

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

all the summon fights have a death timer

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

When dying over and over again to Bart, my gamer instincts told me to turtle up, constantly heal and just take it slow.

But then XIII slapped me in the face and said my instincts were wrong.

I get that you have to adapt - it's like playing SMT and realizing that buffs and debuffs aren't just a luxury, they are a necessity. Not every RPG can be played exactly the same way. But it still felt so counterintuitive that what I needed when losing was more reckless abandon and offense.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

This is why I like the combat in it lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This seems pretty relevant to the topic at hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8vAGGitr8

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Lessail posted:

It's been a while since I played xiii is bart the only boss that auto kills you if you take too long

Cause I figure something like that will get people to rate games poorly too

There are a handful of other bosses who cast doom on you, but the non-eidolon fights are 20 minute timers (30 min for the superboss). There's "I like being slow and careful", then there's "I want to spend 70% of the fight I solidarity and not think", the latter of which is what the devs were targeting.

The only fight that might take long enough to naturally worry about the timer is Attacus, one of the late post-game bosses, and only because he was more or less designed to take a while and force you to play slightly differently.

Mega64 posted:

This seems pretty relevant to the topic at hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8vAGGitr8

It's been a short while since I've seen this video but I didn't really agree with Mark Browns take here on how much things like timers could distract, and I felt like some of the positive examples didn't go far enough (hazy on this point).

Also, funnily enough, 13 actually does several things (some mentioned in that video iirc) to encourage its ideal playstyle, both in positive and negative reinforcement.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A you fail the game, try again, timer hanging over an entire game is not a good mechanic. It wasnt good in old sierra adventure games and its extra bad the longer your game is to beat. It also doesnt matter that you can circumvent it because the game has introduced the possibility that the time youve spent is for naught, so even playing with a guide that thought can gnaw at you until youve beaten the game which is not a great feeling, not to mention the feel of stumbling around without a guide wondering if you are making progress fast enough.

Short, one-off timers in games dont trigger the same response; you as a player know how long the task is to take, that the task when finished will remove the timer, failure doesnt reset all non-timer progress, and that you already have had typically time with the games mechanics to have a better grasp on the ask.

Another way to view it is the reward structure isnt working for people. In games with style or time rankings, typically those provide nothing or a small bonus, giving a player an incentive to complete but not one so large or unique they feel bad for forgoing it (cough megaman X games). Timer games on the other hand have a negative reward structure; play to my minimum expectation of quickness or lose your entire time investment. Your only reward is more game and with the vast majority of games on the market not promising to toss your time investment because you arent measuring up to an unclear measure of good its somewhat an ohvious decision for most people to play another game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Barudak posted:

A you fail the game, try again, timer hanging over an entire game is not a good mechanic. It wasnt good in old sierra adventure games and its extra bad the longer your game is to beat. It also doesnt matter that you can circumvent it because the game has introduced the possibility that the time youve spent is for naught, so even playing with a guide that thought can gnaw at you until youve beaten the game which is not a great feeling, not to mention the feel of stumbling around without a guide wondering if you are making progress fast enough.

Short, one-off timers in games dont trigger the same response; you as a player know how long the task is to take, that the task when finished will remove the timer, failure doesnt reset all non-timer progress, and that you already have had typically time with the games mechanics to have a better grasp on the ask.

Another way to view it is the reward structure isnt working for people. In games with style or time rankings, typically those provide nothing or a small bonus, giving a player an incentive to complete but not one so large or unique they feel bad for forgoing it (cough megaman X games). Timer games on the other hand have a negative reward structure; play to my minimum expectation of quickness or lose your entire time investment. Your only reward is more game and with the vast majority of games on the market not promising to toss your time investment because you arent measuring up to an unclear measure of good its somewhat an ohvious decision for most people to play another game.

Timers are actually awesome. Forcing you to consider your resources and action efficiency is cool.

Atelier got much worse when they removed the timer for example

And again, Lightning Returns has a timer you can pause at will

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

Timers are actually awesome. Forcing you to consider your resources and action efficiency is cool.

Atelier got much worse when they removed the timer for example

And again, Lightning Returns has a timer you can pause at will

The time limits actively made both of those games worse for me

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 3, 2018

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Having to consider efficiency is fine. Being told 80 hours in "gently caress you start over" is not.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

80 hours seems like a pretty generous time limit

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
FFXIII does very little to actually teach players how to play effectively. Just slapping death on the characters with no explanation just angers and confuses them.

Doesn't exactly help you spend a lot of time with an incomplete party.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dragonatrix posted:

Having to consider efficiency is fine. Being told 80 hours in "gently caress you start over" is not.

Hmm. Which game does this exactly?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I hope the next Final Fantasy is Xenoblade Chronicles but with gambits.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Ok, what if hot pants on the lead female character?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

seiferguy posted:

Those things suck so I hope not

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The next FF should just be them saying gently caress it to the whole “spend 7 years developing a shaky engine for one gaming generation, oops we forgot to actually make a game” strategy. Just build it in Unreal, don’t spend weeks on end rendering rocks, and focus on making a good story with fun mechanics.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

is this word the new "literally"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

HD DAD posted:

The next FF should just be them saying gently caress it to the whole “spend 7 years developing a shaky engine for one gaming generation, oops we forgot to actually make a game” strategy. Just build it in Unreal, don’t spend weeks on end rendering rocks, and focus on making a good story with fun mechanics.

FF7 is unreal 4, the engine part is not why their production is slow

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I didn't like the time limit in LR at first either, but instead of just saying "this sucks I hate it" and giving up, I used the tools that were available to me to overcome the challenge. That includes the actual in-game tools like stopping time, and also multiple save files. I kept multiple save files and if I felt like I wasted too much time on something, I just reloaded and did it faster. I ended up finishing all the main story quests and most of the side quests long before the end of the 13th day. It's seriously not a big deal.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Renoistic posted:

FFXIII does very little to actually teach players how to play effectively. Just slapping death on the characters with no explanation just angers and confuses them.

Doesn't exactly help you spend a lot of time with an incomplete party.

FFXIII buries you in tutorial boxes, gives you AI companions who once they're done fishing for weaknesses will do everything in their control to carry a fight properly, slow-rolls you abilities to give you time to learn how each new one changes your playstyle, showers you in powerful consumables if you're struggling, regularly throws normal enemies that force you to engage with the game's systems without destroying you utterly for it (as well as the Eidolon battles which do the same but DO destroy you for it, so meh) and gives you a rating system that basically all but tells you 'Gotta Go Fast.' About the only thing they can DO to help the player that they don't (besides making the weapon upgrading system less obtuse) is just refuse any attempts to set a Rav or Com/Sen/Med paradigm once they get a full party, and that's only because that seems to be the token paradigm of bads who don't want to actually try to use the paradigm system and coast through the game until Bart feeds them a hot steaming pile of nope.

FFXIII has a lot of problem, but players not learning how to play it effectively... that one's not on them.

Barudak posted:

Ok, what if hot pants on the lead female character?

So, Ashe?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tae posted:

FF7 is unreal 4, the engine part is not why their production is slow

I think they mean more xiii and xiii versus and xv

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I didn't like the time limit in LR at first either, but instead of just saying "this sucks I hate it" and giving up, I used the tools that were available to me to overcome the challenge. That includes the actual in-game tools like stopping time, and also multiple save files. I kept multiple save files and if I felt like I wasted too much time on something, I just reloaded and did it faster. I ended up finishing all the main story quests and most of the side quests long before the end of the 13th day. It's seriously not a big deal.

I played through LR.

The time limit still sucked and made the game worse for me.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

seiferguy posted:

I would be legit hyped for Final Fantasy XII-2

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Aithon posted:

I would be legit hyped for Final Fantasy XII-2

Literally already is a ff12 sequel

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Literally already is a ff12 sequel

It doesn't have jobs or a cool battle system though

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Andrast posted:

It doesn't have jobs or a cool battle system though