Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Yes

Blistex posted:

Someone said that all of the vehicles in the US inventory can run on the same JP fuel and it was intentional for ease of distribution during a war or crisis where supply lines might be stressed. So a tank, chopper, jet, diesel truck, and even non-nuclear naval vessel can all run it. Confirm/Deny?

Not only can but do. All tactical vehicles from hmmw to brad and m1a2s use JP8. Dont know about navy ships, but il pretty sure the apaches on our last trip to gunnery were refueling from same HEMMT-fuelers as us.

... which leads to hilarious results when your BN gets commercial power washers for cleaning vehicles to be sent overseas. There may have been infantrymen putting jp8 on those.. with bad results.

Valtonen fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Godholio posted:

Maybe not all, but definitely many/most, at least in a blend.

This. The Bradley has a JP8 fuel tank from what I can tell via google.

Efb

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Here is a USN study from 1992 that says “yeah we could run our ships on JP‐5 but it would be kind of dumb”.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 2, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Regular diesel fuel and Jet A1/JP-8 (aviation kerosene) are very similar to begin with and most regular diesel engines will quite readily run on Jet A without modification (although maybe not that well), so it’s no big stretch really.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

One of the big appeals of the turbine engine of the M1 Abrams that won out over it’s diesel counterpart from Chrysler is that would run off of anything really, so long as it burned. That was a big appeal if a none nuclear WW3 conflict ever broke out, you’d have a tanks that could still run independently in case logistics were disrupted.

Having a tank that could keep going by stopping at a local gas station filling up on gasoline, diesel, or whatever available and keep on chugging along just fine is a big plus.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 2, 2018

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Back Hack posted:

One of the big appeals of the turbine engine of the M1 Abrams that won out over it’s diesel counterpart from Chrysler is that would run off of anything really, so long as it burned.

Someone way back in this thread described it as something like "it can run on squirrels if we can feed them into the turbine fast enough", and I think that sums up everything about why I love turbines. I kind of want to see some drunken soldiers shoving a few barrels of whiskey into an Abrams to see what happens.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Back Hack posted:

One of the big appeals of the turbine engine of the M1 Abrams that won out over it’s diesel counterpart from Chrysler is that would run off of anything really, so long as it burned. That was a big appeal if a none nuclear WW3 conflict ever broke out, you’d have a tanks that could still run independently in case logistics were disrupted.

Having a tank that could keep going by stopping at a local gas station filling up on gasoline, diesel, or whatever available and keep on chugging along just fine is a big plus.

The problem on that thinking is that it ignores the other side of the turbine- a barrel of squirrels will hardly keep the abrams idling for more than ten minutes since its so goddamn fuel-hungry. Also ”poo poo got real” scenario the mean time between failures and lifetime difference between the turbine and a similar-size diesel are pretty gross. I Did some napkin math on my experience between M1 and Leo 2 based solely on engine hours and miles and got to the conclusion that if Finnish Defense Forces operated M1s instead of Leos training one tank crew (12 months conscription time with X hours of driving and idling) would cost one turbine per crew on average, whereas our entire company on my time burned through one diesel.

Now there is also a weight difference between the two tanks but considering the same argument of ”should we ditch the turbine” comes up almost yearly since 1979...

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The recon and runner messenger motorcycles were some of the last bastions of gas engines in the DoD inventory of military vehicles, but USMC led the way on it, too.

Their throttle response is sluggish, so riding one takes practice. At a steady 55 m.p.h. it gets 96 miles a gallon. But using the throttle for balancing or pushing rear grip doesn’t work with a three second response. Definitely not for amateurs.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/automobiles/24KAWASAKI.html

Luckily GD Land System’s loving turbine design motorcycle didn’t win the contract.

Italian Army also has some sort of diesel motorcycles that at least the Bersaglieri use, I’ve seen them and the low clank clank rattle on them is hilarious, but I don’t know much about them.

Finnish civil aviation used to have problems with airport kerosene that was offloaded from planes being destroyed in a manner that had zero accountability, leading many ground crew workers, oddly, driving diesel cars.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 2, 2018

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I wonder if someone has taken the next logical step and looked into designing a substance that you can run both the vehicles and the crew off of. Would maple syrup work?

e: oh poo poo it's HFCS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lippisch P.13a probably could have run off of flour or powdered sugar.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

aphid_licker posted:

I wonder if someone has taken the next logical step and looked into designing a substance that you can run both the vehicles and the crew off of. Would maple syrup work?

e: oh poo poo it's HFCS

Alcohol

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We are talking of NATO inventory, not Pact.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

I've thought about doing something similar to this with "General Grant" but using Sherman is a bit more inflammatory.

Did the Army of the Tennessee or the Army of Georgia have battle flags? 'Cause, that would be the absolute best obscure cherry on the top of that beautiful car.

There was a regulation Union Cavalry guidon with the forked tail and 35 stars in a circle. That might do.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Murgos posted:

Did the Army of the Tennessee or the Army of Georgia have battle flags? 'Cause, that would be the absolute best obscure cherry on the top of that beautiful car.

There was a regulation Union Cavalry guidon with the forked tail and 35 stars in a circle. That might do.

for some mystifying reason it seems people are way more into preserving confederate battle flags than union ones.

there's always the lincoln campaign flag though:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Vahakyla posted:

We are talking of NATO inventory, not Pact.

it said designing a substance, not if that substance is already available in inventory

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

bewbies posted:

for some mystifying reason it seems people are way more into preserving confederate battle flags than union ones.

there's always the lincoln campaign flag though:

drat, found out that Iowa gave back South Caronlina's flag. At least Minnesota isn't giving up their trophies.

The 30th Iowa flag is neat though.

General Sherman's HQ flag is cool:

And the Army of the Potomac's wouldn't look out of place in the Roman Legion:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

SimonCat posted:

And the Army of the Potomac's wouldn't look out of place in the Roman Legion:

:stwoon:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Murgos posted:

The Army of the Trans-Mississippi used what looks like an inverted version of the Army of Northern Virginia's battle flag.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

US saying the Russians have a treaty violating IRBM!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45723952

quote:

Ambassador Hutchison said the US wants to find a diplomatic solution to this problem.

But she appeared to indicate that the US might consider military action if Russia's development of the system continued.

"At that point we would be looking at the capability to take out a (Russian) missile that could hit any of our countries," she said, adding counter-measures (by the US) would be to take out the missiles that are in development by Russia in violation of the treaty.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gently caress why can’t we just do proxy wars.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress why can’t we just do proxy wars.

what's Syria precious

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tias posted:

what's Syria precious

Syria is merely a civil war in which both the US and Russia happen to be advising, sometimes at odds with one another.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

On that note, looks like Syria has received its S-300s. Going to be interesting to see what it can do.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tias posted:

what's Syria precious

The proxy war duh. Why can’t we just do them.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

On that note, looks like Syria has received its S-300s. Going to be interesting to see what it can do.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Don Gato posted:

Someone way back in this thread described it as something like "it can run on squirrels if we can feed them into the turbine fast enough", and I think that sums up everything about why I love turbines. I kind of want to see some drunken soldiers shoving a few barrels of whiskey into an Abrams to see what happens.

It was raccoons and you can thank my aunt for that quote, I certainly do.

I was just about to hit reply to post about the time my aircraft turbine building aunt got salty about someone reverently mentioning "jet fuel" when I saw your post

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Good news it’s been clarified that we didn’t mean strikes on Russian nuclear assets, just developing and deploying our own.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Alaan posted:

Good news it’s been clarified that we didn’t mean strikes on Russian nuclear assets, just developing and deploying our own.

Turns out LRSO was secretly being designed for ground launch too the whole time!

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Apparently the Russians have a bug up their rear end that our Eastern Europe interceptors can have their warheads swapped to nukes and be converted to IRBMs in a few hours.

https://twitter.com/armscontrolwonk/status/1047115441418588161?s=21

Down that thread a bit

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
lol no they can't

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah I totally meant to be clearer it’s a thing they say not a thing that is possible or they even necessarily believe.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If Canada started trying to develop a new smallpox vaccine and said they would share the new formula with everyone, and then asked Russia if they had any insight into it as we know they've been experimenting with weaponed smallpox for decades, Russia would say Canada was "aggressively slandering" them with these accusations, then say their smallpox bioweapon program is 100% necessary to defend against Canada's reckless but inferior bioweapon program

Honestly is not a thing with them at this point

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Alaan posted:

Apparently the Russians have a bug up their rear end that our Eastern Europe interceptors can have their warheads swapped to nukes and be converted to IRBMs in a few hours.

https://twitter.com/armscontrolwonk/status/1047115441418588161?s=21

Down that thread a bit

This has been a thing for a while. They threw a bunch of oddball explanations for why they oppose the missile interceptor site out in Eastern Europe almost as soon as the project went public. The ones that stuck were the "ACTUALLY THE INTERCEPTORS ARE NUKES IN DISGUISE", the one where the 10 interceptors somehow compromised Russia's nuclear deterrent (this one saw the most attention), and the one where this site was really just the first of hundreds of sites that will encircle Russia THEN compromise Russia's nuclear deterrent.

It's all transparent bullshit but because this involves nuclear weapons/ABM it's an easy mark for agitprop aimed at dumb people and still periodically gets parroted by idiots/clickbait sites. Various D&D posters were absolutely convinced that Russia actually believed all 3 of these things a few years back, so it does work.

Alaan posted:

US saying the Russians have a treaty violating IRBM!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45723952

Treaty violating cruise missiles for a pretty long time now, too.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 3, 2018

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I thought it was something new even though the Iskander was that ...but its the Iskander. I guess this is the first time we've publicly announced it or something?

EDIT: Oh they have an Iskander variant that shoots Klubs now I guess?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 3, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If Putin slipped in the shower and broke his neck, the world would be a demonstrably better place the millisecond after he suffered brain death.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If Putin slipped in the shower and broke his neck, the world would be a demonstrably better place the millisecond after he suffered brain death.

It would be interesting to see what would happen to the current power structure, maybe something akin to "The Death of Stalin" (which everyone should watch because it's hilarious)

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Blistex posted:

It would be interesting to see what would happen to the current power structure, maybe something akin to "The Death of Stalin" (which everyone should watch because it's hilarious)

He doesn't have a personality cult to the same extent as Stalin did to at least outwardly preserve the appearance of good order. Unless there is some strong successor waiting in the wings, I'll bet the situation devolves into rampant theft and looting at the highest echelons of government until either there is nothing left or someone finally accrues enough power to restore some semblance of order.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
He's also gone out of his way to make sure his hangers-on and sycophants are too lazy and stupid to be able to organize/stage something as complicated as a coup, so yeah - the upper-tier managers and magnates would grab everything and leave the rest of the country to wither and die.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fearless posted:

He doesn't have a personality cult to the same extent as Stalin did to at least outwardly preserve the appearance of good order.

On the other hand, Stalin didn't have girls band singing about how much they wanted to bang him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah that was more Beria's style.