Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

mike12345 posted:

I didn't finish Painfotainment, and zoned out while listening to his Asia episode. Especially the Asia one goddamn those analogies were so bad. Maybe he should take a break.

I liked his Pacific Part 1 episode. Bad analogies are a foundational element to Hardcore History; if you don't want to hear how a historical situation is like Clint Eastwood vs Batman in a boxing match then maybe you should take a break from his stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Count Roland posted:

And in this one he didn't even say how the story ended-- how were these guys rescued?
By luck.

quote:

Of 1,195 crewmen aboard, approximately 300 went down with the ship.[4] The remaining 900 faced exposure, dehydration, saltwater poisoning, and shark attacks while floating with few lifeboats and almost no food or water. The Navy learned of the sinking when survivors were spotted four days later by the crew of a PV-1 Ventura on routine patrol. [All air and surface units capable of rescue operations were dispatched to the scene at once.] Only 316 survived.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Indianapolis_(CA-35)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

God loving dammit I now have the brain worms you people have that make it so I can't stop hearing Mike Duncan's mouth sounds. What the gently caress! gently caress you guys!

I'm struggling not to laugh out loud at work about this. They definitely peaked in the first few dozen History of Rome episodes (along with heavy inhales directly into the microphone), but most of the way through the series they still haven't stopped entirely, and my understanding is that they're still a thing in Revolutions. I'm okay ignoring a few here and there, but man some of those earlier episodes made me want to puncture my ear drums. Right now his biggest tic that I can't stand is when he talks about how emperors are going to die like five episodes ahead of time.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 26, 2018

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

RE: Indianapolis, Carlin.

I just started it and it's fine but I was shocked when he called Jaws underrated and feigned surprise that it's just recently getting artistic appreciation, as if it used to be some sort of unknown gem.

What?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Sinteres posted:

Right now his biggest tic that I can't stand is when he talks about how emperors are going to die like five episodes ahead of time.

I actually enjoy those little bits of foreshadowing. Life in revolutions when he's talking about what the Americans get up to after the American Revolution, and Paine's section goes "and because Thomas Paine can't stop being Thomas Paine, he winds up getting locked up in a French prison." So when you start the next season and Thomas Paine gets an honorary seat in the National Assembly, you have a sense of how doomed pretty much everyone there is.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

RE: Indianapolis, Carlin.

I just started it and it's fine but I was shocked when he called Jaws underrated and feigned surprise that it's just recently getting artistic appreciation, as if it used to be some sort of unknown gem.

What?

He must have meant that while it was a huge success (it's called the first blockbuster for a reason), a number of critics at the time didn't care for it, whereas its critical reception would presumably be closer to unanimous today.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Heads up: Not a Dollop regular myself but the Stonewall episode is a good time.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Finished History of Rome a couple of months ago, but decided to check a couple of the early chapters again. Holy poo poo it’s like night and day. He barely makes any cuts and goes at breakneck speed, besides the worse record quality.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
And he apparently rerecorded those earlier episodes because the quality was worse. Worse. It really started with "need with laptop mic rambles" but grew and grew, largely because he kept at it. Inspiring, honestly.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I just finished History of Rome this week, and I don't know if it's that I burned out and my attention span wasn't up to the task, or he did (probably a combination of both), but I felt like some of the episodes toward the end were harder to follow. In the 100th episode special he talked about how the podcast had kind of just turned into talking about emperors, and said that he wanted to get away from that, but I don't think he ever really did, presumably because it's such a convenient narrative arc to follow. Since the position of emperor was falling apart toward the end, maybe it makes sense that the narrative kind of faltered too, though again it could just be that I listened to too many episodes at once and it's more about me than him.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I kind of felt the same way, and yeah, I think it's partly due to the fact that after the East-West split it's mainly, with the exception of Honorius, a string of guys murdering or getting murdered for the throne in rapid succession until the entire West falls in on itself.

The other thing is that the names also become increasingly ridiculous.

"Who's the Emporor this year? Is it still Flavius Anicius Petronius Maximus Augustus? No? Flavius Libius Severus Serpentius Augustus, you say? What happened to Flavius Julius Valerius Majorianus? Ach, that's a shame."

*shakes head, returns to drinking out of his lead-lined cup*

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The documentation in the west in late antiquity also just isn't as good as it was earlier. It's harder to write a detailed narrative of that period.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Mike does get less focused near the end, like he just wanted to complete it. So there does seem to be a zoom through that even the crisis of the third century didn’t have despite having less info to go on.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I thought the names towards the end were harder to follow because they were less and less Latin-ised, like Alaric and Stilicho and Ricimir and so on. But yeah I think by the last 10 or so episodes he's completely over it and ready to move on to Revolutions.

But speaking of Mike, this was a fun little diversion:
https://www.riddle.com/showcase/165065/narrative

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Missed opportunity to name it "Are you a bad enough dude to save the Republic?" but that was fun. And also the Good Ending is fairly obviously telegraphed. Though I'm not sure saving the Republic by giving all the credit to Sulla is a viable long-term solution.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Supernova in the East Pt 2 when

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Next year dude.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I just finished Kings of Kings (and really enjoyed it even though it was a pretty quick breeze through the Achaemenid empire), and have listened to the WWI eps of HH. I listened to part of the Khans before it went behind the paywall, but I'm curious what's the general consensus on the rest of the back catalog? Is it worth buying?

Also fwiw I'm a huge fan of Carlin's delivery.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass
If you're into Carlin's stuff, the back catalog is more of it. There's not a big style or quality change over the course of his output.

I enjoyed it, fwiw

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I just finished Kings of Kings (and really enjoyed it even though it was a pretty quick breeze through the Achaemenid empire), and have listened to the WWI eps of HH. I listened to part of the Khans before it went behind the paywall, but I'm curious what's the general consensus on the rest of the back catalog? Is it worth buying?

you should give hardcore prophesy a listen if you haven’t already

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fooge posted:

If you're into Carlin's stuff, the back catalog is more of it. There's not a big style or quality change over the course of his output.

I enjoyed it, fwiw

I agree, if you like what you've heard you'll enjoy all of it. The only real change is the shows get longer and longer. Back in the early ones there are like 20 minute episodes.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The natural tendency of all history podcasts is for the episodes to balloon in length overtime. Eventually we'll just be listening to a livestream of Duncan and Carlin rambling incoherently about Romans.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Colonel Whitey posted:

I have yet to be disapointed, and I've gone pretty far into the catalogue. Globalization Unto Death I figured would be about colonialism but was instead stories about Cook and other explorers often crazy voyages. Quite good.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Cool, thanks everyone!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Arrhythmia posted:

Eventually we'll just be listening to a livestream of Duncan and Carlin rambling incoherently about Romans.

my body is ready

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Arrhythmia posted:

The natural tendency of all history podcasts is for the episodes to balloon in length overtime. Eventually we'll just be listening to a livestream of Duncan and Carlin rambling incoherently about Romans.

Something tells me that if you want Duncan to ramble for Carlin lengths of time, you'd need to get him talking about baseball.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sulphagnist posted:

Missed opportunity to name it "Are you a bad enough dude to save the Republic?" but that was fun. And also the Good Ending is fairly obviously telegraphed. Though I'm not sure saving the Republic by giving all the credit to Sulla is a viable long-term solution.

Why not? Sulla pulled a Cincinatus and retired after all the killing. Give him his credit early and often, and having succeeded at land reform and Italian citizens, there's no reason for him to go sickhouse on you in the first place. He'll be the next Consul, sure, but who cares? You did what you needed to to keep the Republic going another couple of generations, without making 'force is the only answer' a precedent for guys like Caesar. Seems like it could have worked, assuming you could find a guy in the right place with the right degree of self-sacrifice and lack of ego. Which, admittedly was pretty rare among the Romans, or any era of people really. :shrug:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

Something tells me that if you want Duncan to ramble for Carlin lengths of time, you'd need to get him talking about baseball.

Here I was hoping "The History of Everything, Ever" would be Duncan's next project, but I could be satisfied with a "The History of Baseball" miniseries.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arrhythmia posted:

"The History of Everything, Ever"

I'm imaging a 24/7 livestream of history podcasters taking turns just rambling on unscripted about stuff from the past they know about for like 4 hours at a time.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm imaging a 24/7 livestream of history podcasters taking turns just rambling on unscripted about stuff from the past they know about for like 4 hours at a time.

With Melvyn Bragg there to keep them to the time limit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I kind of want this now.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'd listen to enough of a Duncan Baseball series to finally learn what a designated hit is and why every baseball nerd hates it so much.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

If history will remember me as a monster for kidnapping them and forcing them to do this, well, I'm sure the podcast about my life will make great listening

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rodyle posted:

I'd listen to enough of a Duncan Baseball series to finally learn what a designated hit is and why every baseball nerd hates it so much.

poo poo, that's easy. The problem with baseball...well a problem with baseball, it has several...is that not all teams play by the same rules. Half the teams in Major League Baseball (the ones in the National League) require the pitcher to take a turn hitting, the same as all the rest of the players on his team. Half of the teams (the ones in the American League) do not. Those that do not have a special player, the Designated Hitter, who comes up to bat instead of the pitcher.

Baseball nerds hate this because...

1) It's obviously imbalanced. American League teams have better hitting, but their pitchers only bat when they play in a National League park and as such, tend to be even worse at hitting than your average National League pitcher.

2) It removes subtlety. In the American League, when you replace a pitcher is entirely based on how well that pitcher is pitching. In the National League, however, you can remove your pitcher and replace him with a guy who's a good hitter, then either replace that guy or take one of your other position players out and put in a new pitcher. This is known as a Double Switch, and baseball nerds love it because it allows more in the way of tactics than American League baseball has.

Thing is the DH is never going away, because it allows MLB to...

1) Get more offense. Having better hitters out there leads to more runs, which makes for more exciting games.

2) Extend the career of older players who are good hitters but not great fielders anymore. Since, in theory, your DH should be one of the best hitters on your team, it allows a place for big, slow, powerful guys to whack the ball around without having to give up defense because those guys often can't run very far or fast and therefore make crappy fielders.

Therefore, it is much more likely that MLB will make the DH universal rather than abolish it, which I'm in favor of because it will make baseball nerds cry, and their suffering is probably the most amusing thing left in baseball these days.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

head58 posted:

With Melvyn Bragg there to keep them to the time limit.

Bragg is great but I don't think I could concentrate with his wheezing for 5 hours.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Any thoughts on History of Byzantium? I finished History of Rome and 12 Byzantine Rulers, and I feel like going a little more in depth on Byzantium might be interesting, and it looks like this podcast might have more 'life in the empire' elements than History of Rome did, but from what I can see it also looks like a lot of comments on the podcast say the guy's really milking it with paid episodes and starting to lose the plot. I'm also a little concerned that I might have just heard all the interesting parts in 12 Byzantine Rulers, but I could always just come back to it later if repetition becomes an issue.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Sinteres posted:

Any thoughts on History of Byzantium? I finished History of Rome and 12 Byzantine Rulers, and I feel like going a little more in depth on Byzantium might be interesting, and it looks like this podcast might have more 'life in the empire' elements than History of Rome did, but from what I can see it also looks like a lot of comments on the podcast say the guy's really milking it with paid episodes and starting to lose the plot. I'm also a little concerned that I might have just heard all the interesting parts in 12 Byzantine Rulers, but I could always just come back to it later if repetition becomes an issue.

I picked up History of Byzantium right after Rome and was pumped for more, but he was moving way too slowly for me so I dropped it. It was reaaaally dragging imo.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Sinteres posted:

I dropped it a good couple years ago but I remember his episodes on... Heraclius??? Were really good. Really put the tragedy and pointlessness of his reign front and centre.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I listened to a good amount of it before dropping it and keep meaning to return to it.

It's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There is a simple fact that 1000 years or so of separate Byzantine history involves a lot of repetitive things happening with much less glorious conquest poo poo, but also involves better recording of said history unlike how large chunks of Rome history is just missing or only in a few fragmentary sources.

As a result, an attempt to cover Byzantine history in about the same depth as the west results in a narrative that'll go slower more often..