Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is there a follow up video where he admits to trolling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

That man is not well.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

lmao

What's the odds on EVE dying next? I think there's a chance the new owners will make some change that'll piss off the players.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

super sweet best pal posted:

lmao

What's the odds on EVE dying next? I think there's a chance the new owners will make some change that'll piss off the players.

Did someone buy CCP?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

clone on the phone posted:

Did someone buy CCP?

Yep, they were bought by Pearl Abyss, the Korean company that publishes Black Desert Online. CCP already spend all their EVE money on bad ideas the players don't want, I don't think being beholden to a publisher is going to make that any worse. Who knows, though? Maybe they're all working on BDO2 now instead and EVE is secretly dead.

Probably not though. EVE has been pretty stable for 10 years now, by MMO standards.

There's no real competition for its particular weird niche on the horizon so I don't think that core user base is going to move, and I doubt the publisher that just acquired CCP wants to kill CCP's one profitable game and IP.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
People playing Eve at this point are usually heavily invested in some corporate rivalry, have multiple well developed accounts and have been playing for a long time. Thats a pretty good formula for a stable player base, albeit one thats probably never going to grow. Eve and the weirdos who quit their job to play it all day are going to be around a long time.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The weird niche of EVE is "psychopath simulator / sandbox" so yeah, I can see it being stable forever, but probably not growing ever.

Like every expansion of WOW all of the gear resets-- imagine if it didn't. That's EVE. The people who have been playing it for like over a decade are so far down the rabbit hole of sunk cost fallacy that the Korean company would have to be idiots to gently caress up that persistent cash cow.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 24, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pearl is going to make a phone version of EVE online and its going to massively out revenue the PC version to the point people are afraid they'll shutter the pc version and just work on the phone version

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Pearl is going to make a phone version of EVE online and its going to massively out revenue the PC version to the point people are afraid they'll shutter the pc version and just work on the phone version

Man, I hope so. My addicted rear end would save 30 bucks each months on subscription money.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I will never understand why the Wildstar devs openly hated the player base so much. These people are giving you their money. Especially the base they so badly wanted to steal from Wow - the hardcore raiders. And yet Carbine were just relentless in making the their lives so utterly miserable.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Noirex posted:

I will never understand why the Wildstar devs openly hated the player base so much. These people are giving you their money. Especially the base they so badly wanted to steal from Wow - the hardcore raiders. And yet Carbine were just relentless in making the their lives so utterly miserable.

every MMO player is deeply masochistic it's just the devs have to honey the players up then punish them with time gates and other arbitrary bullshit all punishment is no fun, obviously

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Blast of Confetti posted:

every MMO player is deeply masochistic it's just the devs have to honey the players up then punish them with time gates and other arbitrary bullshit all punishment is no fun, obviously

WoW is currently in the process of discovering even mmo players have limits lol

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
It's sad. As soon as I get a computer that can run the game, it shuts down.

I will always remember the promise your trailers brought, and the excellent example your housing system serves to other MMOs.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

OhFunny posted:

I'm still loling over Blizzard hiring the person responsible for Warplots in Wildstar and then copying it and calling it Warfronts in WoW and being surprised players don't like it.

I don’t know if I like warfronts or not because my sub ran out the day before alliance got to actually play one of the expansions features and fuckin lol at that poo poo

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Idk why people dislike this game so much, I played a furry dude with horns for a solid two hours.

Then I decided double jump is kinda fun, bought Legion and lvled a demon hunter. Great game.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I don’t know if I like warfronts or not because my sub ran out the day before alliance got to actually play one of the expansions features and fuckin lol at that poo poo

They suck, you didn't miss out on anything

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Byolante posted:

WoW is currently in the process of discovering even mmo players have limits lol
How so? I haven't been keeping track of that game.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Mizuti posted:

How so? I haven't been keeping track of that game.

The new Azerite armor system, which replaced Artifacts from legion, sucks: head, chest, and shoulder slots grant separate abilities like Legion artifacts unlocked by gaining artifact experience, but in this case the item abilities are selected totally randomly instead of being a class tree. Worse, the unlock levels of item abilities are higher for higher ilvl items, meaning that if you find a better head, chest, or shoulder slot item, equipping it will, perversely, lower your effectiveness until you gain enough artifact experience to unlock more powers.

World PVP, which was never popular, remains unpopular.

The new warfronts, which i actually like, are gated behind an asinine mechanic: control of a Warfront is given only to one faction or the other, and has to be "won" from the other faction by completing turn-in quests. Also it stops being available for that faction after so many days. So, under the current system, we only have one Warfront and it's only available to play for 5-6 days out of every 14-18 days.

Oh, and the Allied Races -- which i like, don't get me wrong, I love me some Maghar -- are locked behind a very long rep-grind; two of the reps are Legion reps, which sucks for people which checked out of legion more than a year ago like me.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 1, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The primary plot is also hot garbage, it's yet more forced "faction war" which already is and will only continue to make both sides feel completely unsatisfied.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The main continents are mostly really good, though. I will fight anyone who tries to take my dumb aztec Troll pyramid-city away from me.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

TheAgent posted:

like y'all remembering being all cozy with the designers who posted here and going "wow TRY YOUR HARDEST WE BELIEVE IN YOU" when it was 100% completely obvious to anyone not brain damaged that the game was a loving failure and total flop from the word go

Are you saying you called it?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think a number of people called Wildstar a variety of negative things back in the day. Of course it was all trolls, haters etc and not simply regular folks who didn't like the product something was trying to flog them.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Wildstar was bad in the alpha, it was bad in the closed beta, it was bad in the open beta, it was bad at launch. It died because it sucked.

The best thing about wildstar is if you were fnf'd into the alpha and told anyone you were in the alpha your friend would get fired.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Byolante posted:

The best thing about wildstar is if you were fnf'd into the alpha and told anyone you were in the alpha your friend would get fired.

That's a mixed blessing there.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Yardbomb posted:

The primary plot is also hot garbage, it's yet more forced "faction war" which already is and will only continue to make both sides feel completely unsatisfied.
Let me guess: the main NPCs and/or story arcs chastise the factions for continuing the war, even though the writing and gameplay has funneled the factions towards it every expansion?

I just remembered that Wildstar changed around its core mechanics and at one point had over 20 secondary stats, including this gem.

Terrific game design posted:

Vigor: This is a new stat for DPS roles. Player damage is increased by this percentage, which is based on the player's current health. It is optimal at 100% health and as health goes down, so does the bonus.
Lovely! Here's the very lengthy original in its entirety if you're curious. There's a lot to unpack here.

quote:

Hey, everybody! I’m Steven Engle, Lead Combat Designer on WildStar, and I’m here to talk about upcoming updates to player combat stats. They're some pretty big changes and we're all very excited about it here at Carbine. In this Deep Dive I'll go over most of the changes and some of the reasoning behind them.

What is Moxie?
Our stat system, while full of its own charm, is not easy to understand at a simple glance. The core problem? The primary combat stats make use of identifying terms that obfuscate the purpose of the stat itself. All of which brings us to the question: What is Moxie?

Anyone can log into an Esper and develop an association of the Moxie stat to Assault Power, but to a Warrior, Moxie means Critical Hit and Critical Severity Ratings.. We believe our players should be able to understand the purpose of a stat on first glance, and that purpose should remain consistent between all classes.

While the primary combat stat terminology has been confusing, it’s not the only issue involved in the decision. Current stat imbalances cause uninteresting gearing choices, and we also have power creep at end game that becomes unmaintainable by the time we release our next raid. So, after careful consideration of all of the issues, we chose to make the following changes.

Removal of primary combat stats and those stats deriving into secondary stats.
Players will no longer be able to increase Assault or Support power through Runes. In addition, all stats are going through a balance pass to make their power relative with each other.
Re-adjusting the power curve and adjustment of levels. While overall power should be relatively the same at Datascape from Live to 1.4.0, some other areas of the leveling curve might feel a slight difference.

So rest in peace, Brutality, Finesse, Insight, Tech, Grit, and Moxie. Some day you might find Heart and form a really cool super hero... but not in WildStar.

The Stats are Dead! Long Live the Stats!

We've established that the current primary stats, and how they worked, were not as successful as we would have liked but we still wanted a core group of stats that provide the player with a solid base. The best way to do this was to adjust the core stats to serve a clear purpose, to be consistent regardless of class, and granted with most visually customizable gear pieces.

Below are the core stats and their meaning in the updated stat system:

Assault/Support Power: This is given out via Assault or Support Rating and is then converted into Power. Almost all damage in the game scales off of either Assault or Support Power.

Armor: Armor determines the player’s base ability to reduce incoming damage of all damage types.

Health: This value determines the amount of damage the player can receive before death.

Shield Max: This value determines amount of damage a player's shield can absorb (extending health).

For those more interested in PvP, check out the core stats:

PvP Power: This is derived from the PvP Power Rating and is converted into PvP Power or PvP Healing. All damage and healing in PvP combat is scaled by this stat.

PvP Defense: This is derived from the PvP Defense Rating and converted into PvP Defense. All defense in PvP is scaled by this stat.

What About the Secondary Stats?

We no longer derive secondary stats from a primary source. They are now just considered combat stats. One thing that we really wanted to tackle during this update is improving stat balance and player choice. For example, DPS classes will no longer be able to increase Assault Power through the Rune system. This will allow us to better balance stats without having to keep their effectiveness relative to raw Power.

Here is a look into the non-Core stats, functionality updates, and new stats coming in the Beta:

Stats with no functional change: Critical Hit Chance, Critical Hit Severity, Armor Pierce, Deflect Chance, Deflect Critical Hit Chance, Physical Resistance, Technology Resistance, Magic Resistance, Cooldown Reduction, Focus Cost Reduction

Stats that can now be gained through Rating: Lifesteal, CC Reduction

Stats that are new to WildStar or that have function updates:

Strikethrough: This stat will directly counter an opponent’s deflect rate just as it would in the Live game. The improvement to function is that if a player's Strikethrough exceeds their opponent's Deflect rate, it is then converted into Armor Piercing.

Multi-Hit Chance: This is a new stat for all roles. Each time players deal damage or heal an ally, they have a chance to apply it an additional time. The value of the additional hit is determined by the effect that triggered it multiplied by the Multi-Hit Severity percentage.

Multi-Hit Severity: This is a new stat for all roles. This stat determines the magnitude of Multi-Hits.

Vigor: This is a new stat for DPS roles. Player damage is increased by this percentage, which is based on the player's current health. It is optimal at 100% health and as health goes down, so does the bonus.

Critical Mitigation: This stat will directly counter an opponent’s Critical Hit Severity.

Intensity: This is a new stat for healing classes and it is targeted for end-game players. This will increase outgoing healing, while also increasing the Focus cost of heals.

Glance Chance: This is a new stat for tanks. This stat grants a chance to reduce an incoming damage attack by the percentage defined by Glance Mitigation.

Glance Mitigation: This is a new stat for tanks. Each time players trigger a Glance, the incoming damage is reduced by this percentage.

Reflect Chance: This is a new stat for all roles. Each time players receive damage, they have a chance to deal a percentage of that damage back to the attacker. The damage dealt is determined by the Reflect Damage stat.

Reflect Damage: This is a new stat for all roles. Each time players trigger a Reflect, it deals this percentage of the damage received back to that attacker.

Focus Recovery Rate: The functionality of this stat has changed. Players now recover a percentage of their Focus Pool every second while in combat. This stat can now be attained through gear as a Rating.

Focus Pool: The functionality did not change for Focus Pool. The change is that it is no longer a stat with a set amount. Players can now add to their Focus Pool with gear.

Why Use Critical Mitigation When There's Deflect Critical Hit?

We aren’t going to give out Deflect Critical Hit Rating through gear anymore - it caused a struggle between player choice and design choice that did not improve the game. Players were stuck between having AMP and ability choices that required getting critically hit, and improving Deflect Critical Hit which devalued those choices. We caused unnecessary conflicts of interest which limited our ability to provide fun and engaging mechanics in some cases.

We wanted a tank stat that did not limit our ability to provide choice and did not introduce conflicts of interest with the player. We came up with Critical Mitigation, which grants the player the ability to deal with critical damage without losing those interesting gameplay triggers along the way.

The philosophy change outlined above is one of the bigger interaction and design changes. We wanted to give everyone a greater understanding of why it happened. There are many smaller changes to stat interactions that will be further discussing in Beta on the forums.
The Conclusion!

We want to give players more ways to play and interesting stats to build around, and we are working to make the combat stat system more intuitive and clear.
:stonk:

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Byolante posted:

Wildstar was bad in the alpha, it was bad in the closed beta, it was bad in the open beta, it was bad at launch.

Not according to Somethingawful it wasn't. The Wildstar thread in this very forum was strongly positive about the game all the way up to the launch date.

rawr im a tree
Jul 4, 2008

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

but in this case the item abilities are selected totally randomly instead of being a class tree.

this isn't true. everything else is correct though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Ad by Khad posted:

Not according to Somethingawful it wasn't. The Wildstar thread in this very forum was strongly positive about the game all the way up to the launch date.

After shouting down everybody pointing out the glaring design flaws.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Schubalts posted:

After shouting down everybody pointing out the glaring design flaws.

I don't know if I would call it "strongly positive" so much as yelling that everything was fine loud enough to make it true (you can't yell that loud)

I remember sliding down a hill and dying instantly due to a thousand ticks of small fall damage and realizing it might not be a good game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mizuti posted:

Let me guess: the main NPCs and/or story arcs chastise the factions for continuing the war, even though the writing and gameplay has funneled the factions towards it every expansion?

It's more that all but like a couple of the big leaders, after last expansion was just about working together to stop Space Satan Sargeras himself finally coming in and assblasting the very planet, have all gotten the stupid FAHSKUN WAAAAHR switches flipped on their brains the other way again, despite everyone knowing by this point that neither side will ever be allowed to have a satisfying conclusion to faction war primary-plots, the game having so many neutral factions now that we've literally been the bossmen of for some, the playerbase at large wanting nothing to do with PvP at all anymore, the wider playerbase if anything asking for better ways to be able to play with their friends (Basically x-faction), but Blizzard is still obsessed with red v blue so here we are.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Mizuti posted:

The other way around. World pvp is banished to war mode, leveling areas are self-contained and barely mention the faction war and credit is shared between factions when fighting elites.

Ad by Khad posted:

There were plenty of true believers, but the general consensus after the open beta was "this is going to get *at least* 6 months of dev time before release, right?".

That reminds me, the default ui elements crashed on a regular basis and leaked memory, iirc the nameplates were particularly bad.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Does wow still have multi-tier couple dozen point talent trees?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Wildstar is going to be incredible once the day 1 miracle patch hits

Orv
May 4, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Does wow still have multi-tier couple dozen point talent trees?

Those have been gone now longer than they were around. Though the smaller but still somewhat expansive tree took a couple more years to go away.

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 3, 2018

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Mizuti posted:

I just remembered that Wildstar changed around its core mechanics and at one point had over 20 secondary stats, including this gem.

I can imagine the meeting where this change came about. On one side of the table, some developers who wanted a simplified stat system using Assault/Support Power. On the other side devs who wants to make Wildstar more hardcore by adding more stats that are more complex and more redundant. In a stroke of brilliant leadership the lead developer who had to decide which proposed system to use decides to use both at the same time in a brilliant compromise that would set the tone for Wildstar's design decisions going forward.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ad by Khad posted:

I was skeptical till I got into one of the beta phases and then I was fully negative to it everywhere. Wildstar was so bad that I wouldn't even play it past the first 2 hours and Im notable member of bad game crew.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Mizuti posted:

I'm trying to remember the full context for this. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
  • Wildstar advertises itself as a game for hardcore raiders featuring challenging 40 man raids.
  • Game actually launches; buggy and labyrinthine raid attunement process scares off many prospective raiders. (Some unlucky players get their character permanently stuck on this attunement quest and are told to reroll their character from scratch to "fix" it.)
  • Enough players complete the attunement and begin raid content. Developers monitor world first kills and then change several bosses to be mathematically impossible. This effectively disables part of the raid content.
  • Many months later, these bosses are patched to be mathematically possible to kill. The handful of loyal holdouts left finally complete this content.
  • The raid designer is asked how he feels about the raid being cleared for the first time. He posts that image in response.

Like the only other time that I know of where the devs purposely made something nigh impossible to beat is Absolute Virtue in FFXI. Granted, everyone that beaten it probably did it the wrong way (i.e. Kraken-Club DRKs), and AV was constantly patched so the "exploit" no longer worked, but at least they let the people keep the kill provided that it wasn't done with tools too outside the scope of the game.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

jwang posted:

Like the only other time that I know of where the devs purposely made something nigh impossible to beat is Absolute Virtue in FFXI. Granted, everyone that beaten it probably did it the wrong way (i.e. Kraken-Club DRKs), and AV was constantly patched so the "exploit" no longer worked, but at least they let the people keep the kill provided that it wasn't done with tools too outside the scope of the game.

pfft, there totally was a completely obfuscated method that would let you lock its two-hour abilities by using your own with no confirmation whether it worked or not and a subsequent 2-hour wait before a character could try it again, and the devs even posted an amazingly unhelpful video demonstrating thus, you casual

e: lol I looked it up to refresh my memory and the devs' "explanatory" video came out three years after absolute virtue was released

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 4, 2018

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just never understood the point of Absolute Virtue. Why put a thing in the game with the intent that litterally no one can beat? Ruby weapon wasnt unbeatable, ozma wasnt unbeatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

That type of design dates back to EQ and The Sleeper and had aleays been weirdly popular.