Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I know it's a strong primal urge for all doctors, but you must resist the temptation to make terrible investments. Just buy more index funds and enjoy the life of a non-landlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
It may not be the best example but do consider that if our piss-baby president Donald J Trump had invested the money he received from daddy in a total market fund rather than real estate that he would have earned over 4x as much as he had via his real estate business. And that's considering that he ostensibly dedicated his professional life to it rather than having it as a secondary source of income.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

There's also nothing wrong with investing in a taxable brokerage account. The taxes are really not very oppressive at all. LTCGs and qualified dividends get very favorable treatment.

Don't do dumb investing just to avoid some taxes. Plus there's a ton of taxes and fees in real estate anyway.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

The White Coat Investor guy says real estate plus a 70 hour job is really hard to do. But it's do-able.

For what it's worth, a good property management company can take required interactions down to literally minutes a month, mostly spent going over records to review the expenditures. I spend more time on the tax complications of real estate than the direct management therof. It's a bitch to get everything closed and management fully set up though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

BMan posted:

I know it's a strong primal urge for all doctors, but you must resist the temptation to make terrible investments. Just buy more index funds and enjoy the life of a non-landlord.

This, a loving thousand times this.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Just buy a loving target date vanguard ETF with after tax money, you'll pay like 15% LTCG which is an unbelievably good deal!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Just buy a loving target date vanguard ETF with after tax money, you'll pay like 15% LTCG which is an unbelievably good deal!

It's not sexy enough.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Real estate is tangible, so it can't just go *poof* like those numbers on the screen!!!

(montage of buildings succumbing to natural disaster, warfare, economic decline, etc.)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want to buy some buildings in Turkey. They can't steal it from me once I buy it right.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

I want to buy some buildings in Turkey. They can't steal it from me once I buy it right.

I would think in a hyper inflationary market that house prices would be high, since the existing loans to buy them are virtually free and everyone wants hard assets. My parents still have a condo on the Aegean, wonder what that’s worth.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Has anyone mentioned REITs? Because you can invest in real estate in a way that avoids all the maintenance, finding renters, dealing with property taxes, etc. etc. etc. and oh also diversifies you across lots of properties instead of concentrating in one, and also by the way you can invest a couple thousand dollars in REIT funds instead of needing hundreds of thousands of dollars, and oh plus it's liquid instead of horribly illiquid, and boy howdy are the transaction costs lower!

Real estate is already indirectly a factor/component in the performance of index stock and bond funds, because business profitability is affected by rising or falling real estate, the overall market is reactive to housing prices, etc. etc. but if you are feeling underexposed to that segment, REITs offer a way to overweight it without needing to buy insurance to cover when your tenant sues you because a paving slab stuck up slightly and they tripped on it and broke their face.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Droo posted:

Interactive Brokers has margin rates around 2.5-4%, which is less (and infinitely more flexible) than rental property mortgage rates.

Margin requirements vary by stock, but you could also just buy futures contracts to effectively get 25+:1 leverage at what are essentially the same kind of low rates (interest is built into the cost of rolling the futures contracts every 3 months).

Equity margin is maxed at 100% (fed regulation). IB does have low rates, but that can go poof at any second.

I can't say I know enough about futures margin level, but once you get to 5x margin you're flirting with a margin call at the slightest dip.

Residency Evil posted:

Is this actually true in all cases? Sure that's ideal, but I wonder if that's always the case between the mortgage, insurance, maintenance, taxes, etc.

In any case, I understand that we shouldn't think of our primary residence as an investment, but I'm curious about something like a duplex/four-plex or something.

Not being able to cover that is the clearest sign to avoid the deal.

Leperflesh posted:

Has anyone mentioned REITs? Because you can invest in real estate in a way that avoids all the maintenance, finding renters, dealing with property taxes, etc. etc. etc. and oh also diversifies you across lots of properties instead of concentrating in one, and also by the way you can invest a couple thousand dollars in REIT funds instead of needing hundreds of thousands of dollars, and oh plus it's liquid instead of horribly illiquid, and boy howdy are the transaction costs lower!

Real estate is already indirectly a factor/component in the performance of index stock and bond funds, because business profitability is affected by rising or falling real estate, the overall market is reactive to housing prices, etc. etc. but if you are feeling underexposed to that segment, REITs offer a way to overweight it without needing to buy insurance to cover when your tenant sues you because a paving slab stuck up slightly and they tripped on it and broke their face.

Not a fan of REITs. I deal with some, and they have been so flush with cash they are buying properties at extremely questionable valuations.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

crazypeltast52 posted:

Unless you are buying a trophy class AA 500+ unit building in the best markets of NYC or SF, no apartment investor can get financing without property NOI covering all of that plus some kind of cushion.

Yea, short of this guy being some big swinging dick (in which case he isn't asking us), he's gonna need to debt service at a minimum of 1.20:1, based on NOI. And he'll be capped at probably no more than ~85% LTV. The debt service piece is probably the hardest. With rates running like 5.50% - 7% for NOOCRE (in my market, which may not resemble yours, and for people the Bank doesn't know/don't have a ton of cash on deposit) and a shorter 25 year amortization this can get difficult.

Let's say you want to buy a property for $700,000 all-in (loan fees, closing costs, appraisal, everything).
You put down $200,000, leaving a $500,000 1st DOT.
$500,000 at 6.50% over a 25 year amortization is $3,376/month or $40,512/year.
Your NOI will need to be at least $4,051/month or $48,614/year. (120% of your required P&I payments)
Note however that your NOI will necessarily be lower than your gross rents. NOI is gross rents minus operating expenses (property taxes, maintenance, vacancy expenses, etc). The good news is that your lender will take your net income and add back interest expense, depreciation and amortization to get your NOI. For the sake of argument, we'll assume your Op. Ex. is about 20% of your gross rents.
This means that you need gross rents of $5,064/month or $60,768/year.

That gross rent figure btw, will earn you about $8,102/year before income taxes, or about 4% on your invested money in year 1. For an illiquid asset that you owe money on. That same $200,000 in the S&P 500 from Jan 2 2018 to today would be up 8%, in only 75% of that time.

I dunno, do what you want, but working in the field all day long has sated any interest I may have ever had in accumulating a real estate portfolio. Of course I work with a guy who is all about it, and has a bunch of rentals and is working on building a like 6-8 unit apartment, so maybe I'm an idiot.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
If real estate is so bad, who are the people actually buying property

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I don't have any interest in being a landlord or a real estate developer, but I can see why being in real estate could be fun. It's a lot of dealmaking and seeing a property get built or renovated must be pretty gratifying. It's like real life Lego, but you're also dealing with politicians, unions, and tenants.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Methanar posted:

people who can buy the building outright for cash
people with tens of millions of dollars who need to find new places to put it
people speculating on appreciation of the property in a hot market, rather than looking for rental income
the growing class of wealthy Chinese, who are desperate to get their cash out of their own country, and for whom many other forms of foreign investment are too difficult/impossible to access
REITs
lots of people who are bad at math

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
1031 exchange money where they need to buy something or pay an ungodly amount of taxes

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
People who end conversations with, "I mean, who doesn't pay their mortgage?"

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Methanar posted:

There are lots of opportunity in this world to make money filling all sorts of niches and real estate is no exception. The question isn't about whether it can make money but where your priorities lie. If you're looking to invest some money and get returns without having to put a lot of work in yourself then you should plan accordingly.

To be able to get real estate investments into a profitable state can take considerable amounts of time and money, so it is best for people who have a passion with the business itself and their desire to engage in it transcends monetary profit. These people exist in plentiful numbers.

So we can see why it doesn't align with the priority of "invest money perhaps at greater risk but without much effort" which is the scenario under consideration.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

tumblr hype man posted:

Yea, short of this guy being some big swinging dick (in which case he isn't asking us), he's gonna need to debt service at a minimum of 1.20:1, based on NOI. And he'll be capped at probably no more than ~85% LTV. The debt service piece is probably the hardest. With rates running like 5.50% - 7% for NOOCRE (in my market, which may not resemble yours, and for people the Bank doesn't know/don't have a ton of cash on deposit) and a shorter 25 year amortization this can get difficult.

Let's say you want to buy a property for $700,000 all-in (loan fees, closing costs, appraisal, everything).
You put down $200,000, leaving a $500,000 1st DOT.
$500,000 at 6.50% over a 25 year amortization is $3,376/month or $40,512/year.
Your NOI will need to be at least $4,051/month or $48,614/year. (120% of your required P&I payments)
Note however that your NOI will necessarily be lower than your gross rents. NOI is gross rents minus operating expenses (property taxes, maintenance, vacancy expenses, etc). The good news is that your lender will take your net income and add back interest expense, depreciation and amortization to get your NOI. For the sake of argument, we'll assume your Op. Ex. is about 20% of your gross rents.
This means that you need gross rents of $5,064/month or $60,768/year.

That gross rent figure btw, will earn you about $8,102/year before income taxes, or about 4% on your invested money in year 1. For an illiquid asset that you owe money on. That same $200,000 in the S&P 500 from Jan 2 2018 to today would be up 8%, in only 75% of that time.

I dunno, do what you want, but working in the field all day long has sated any interest I may have ever had in accumulating a real estate portfolio. Of course I work with a guy who is all about it, and has a bunch of rentals and is working on building a like 6-8 unit apartment, so maybe I'm an idiot.

Thanks man, this was super helpful.

On another topic: how does a backdoor Roth work when we're married? My Vanguard account is currently in my name only. Do I put the full 11k in under my name, or should I open a second roth for her and split it in two? Does this matter if we're married filing jointly versus separately?

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Residency Evil posted:

On another topic: how does a backdoor Roth work when we're married? My Vanguard account is currently in my name only. Do I put the full 11k in under my name, or should I open a second roth for her and split it in two? Does this matter if we're married filing jointly versus separately?

IRAs are individual accounts, hence the "I", so you and your wife can each have a maximum of $5.5k.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

Im fairly sure you need a second Vanguard account just for her. You can’t have an IRA in her name on your Vanguard account. At least that’s what we’ve done.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

Velius posted:

Im fairly sure you need a second Vanguard account just for her. You can’t have an IRA in her name on your Vanguard account. At least that’s what we’ve done.

Yeah this is what we did too. We just set up the permissions afterwards so either of us can see the others accounts (and act on them for contributions, etc) without logging in and out all the time.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Residency Evil posted:

No problem, that comparison is a little apples to oranges since I'm comparing cash flow from a rental to equity appreciation in the S&P. But hopefully it gives people an idea of what they're getting in to.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Methanar posted:

Money laundering

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you get a good long term low maintenance renter, it’s a pretty easy gig. Then you brag about it to all your friends and they want in on the sweet easy money.

(Alternately, you brag about how easy it is to be a section 8 slumlord. “I paid 50k for the property and the government guarantees I get the rent!))

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/115-2018/h411

Bill passed the house with the USA account in it. It's basically a Roth with no early withdrawal penalty and a $2,500 limit. Canada supposedly has something similar.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Called a TFSA, if for some reason you want to compare.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Did my wife and I just gain another $5,000 in tax-advantaged savings space with the creation of these USAs? What else happens before these things are available?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think it has to pass in the senate and then trump has to approve it. Senators cum long and hard over more tax space so they'll probably approve it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I mean, there has to be something bullshit and lovely in this bill but aside from that assumption I can't see anything wrong with this part.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It will probably harm abortion rights in some way but it's not too bad

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Explain?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Harry posted:

the USA account

Can I deposit into it from any ATM machine? :smug: :smaug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It encourages you to start a 529 plan before the baby is born. It's not too bad but it's leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there something out there that allows me to plug in the funds and based on that gives me percentage of what I'm invested in? I know I can probably do this manually, but it's a pain if I'm looking at a bunch.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

obi_ant posted:

Is there something out there that allows me to plug in the funds and based on that gives me percentage of what I'm invested in? I know I can probably do this manually, but it's a pain if I'm looking at a bunch.

Personal capital.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

obi_ant posted:

At least my Vanguard and Fidelity accounts have a breakdown of asset classes

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it has to pass in the senate and then trump has to approve it. Senators cum long and hard over more tax space so they'll probably approve it.

Kinda surprised they'd even get out of bed for 2.5k. unless it's got some provision where your can backdoor a lifetime's earnings into it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Bhodi posted:

Kinda surprised they'd even get out of bed for 2.5k. unless it's got some provision where your can backdoor a lifetime's earnings into it...
You can do "qualified rollovers" into it so you best believe they're going to allow "one-time qualified rollovers from Roth IRAs" or something like that, letting them bypass the inability to withdraw gains tax free.