Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound

COOL CORN posted:

With Imgur, you can put an "l" (lowercase L) right before the ".jpg" in the filename to make it constrain to a smaller width

So, "qo1j8LYl.jpg" instead of "qo1j8LY.jpg". Or use "m" for even smaller, or "s" for a square thumbnail. I think "m" works best for this thread ("qo1j8LYm"):

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

27. Death Bed: The Bed That Eats (1977)

Well that was really stupid. I mean, it's a movie about a bed that eats people so you can't expect a whole lot. It did kind of surprise me how seriously it seemed to take the concept, providing quite a lot of lore about how the bed got so hungry. There were two really funny moments, and some enjoyment can be had in watching the seemingly sedated actors show zero emotion, but overall it was just boring.

I watched this one for FRAN CHALLENGE #3: Hometown Horror. This was shot in the Gar Wood mansion on Grayhaven Island in Detroit, MI, which was supposedly the home of a hippie commune where some artists and musicians lived. It was shut down after cops raided the place and found 25 kilos of weed. I may have had more fun reading about the Gar Wood mansion than watching Death Bed.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm trying so hard. I put on The Terrifier last night and maybe made it 20 minutes. It's just so loving awful. I felt like they were going to go the Troma route and I was all ready for it, but then they didn't and it was trying to be serious but awful. I just couldn't.

Tonight I'm trying to watch The Invitation. I'm 1 hour and 15 minutes in and literally nothing has happened. It shows there are 24 minutes left. Something better happen... Edit: Something happened. It's not terrible, but it wasn't good either.

I should have watched Halloween.... God drat I love that flick. It's timeless.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 3, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Director's Commentary On

We go from analytical and involved directors to Snyder's commentary, in which he's mostly just enjoying watching his newly completed movie with his producer Eric Newman, and dropping occasional anecdotes, some of which are amazing (Ving Rhames doing a take perfectly while Sarah Polley is sewing his actual skin). This was recorded the day before theatrical release, making it more interesting than most.

Snyder describes shooting most of the movie chronologically because "they didn't know any better."

"There's blood... Which clearly is a theme."

"I don't think there's another studio that would have let us do it this way."
"Very incompetently."

Much like Snyder's commentary, this is not a philosophical movie at all, it's a silly romp. So in that sense it's again not a worthy successor to Romero's stuff, but if you were trying to do Romero justice you wouldn't remake Dawn of the Dead. And anyway, Dawn of the Dead '78 is an insanely boring movie (fight me). This is everything Romero's work on Dawn of the Dead isn't, it has nothing to say about culture or people in general. It's a Friday the 13th movie set in a mall. And you know, there's very few of those that aren't enjoyable on some level, so I'll never hate Dawn of the Dead '04 for being the anti-Romero movie. I like most of Romero's other stuff, but his Dawn of the Dead is celluloid ambien.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
2. Happy Death Day (2017)

A sorority girl gets stuck in a time loop of getting murdered and has to discover her killer to escape. Basically slasher Groundhog Day, including the lead's character arc of going from kind of mean to a decent person. Some flat "college movie" humor and the villain's baby-mask looks lame, but generally thrilling and the plot has a few decent twists. The subplot around the lead girl's romance with her professor fells kinda icky though. Overall, pretty okay.

:spooky::spooky:.5/5

Adoomsdaygap
Apr 20, 2013
We break into my horror movie pack with a vampire double feature. In fact this whole disc is vampire movies so we have a few more to go.

Grave of the vampire - 1972

Two kids sneak off to a graveyard to have sex, only for a vampire to awaken, murder the boy, and rape the girl in his open grave. The only person to care about any of this is Lieutenant Mason, played by tv and b movie actor Eric Mason, who I recognized from a few other movies. The film starts off shaping up to be a detective case, where he discovers the vampire, but then the vampire kills him 30 mins in =/. We then cut to 9 months later and the film becomes a movie about her vampire baby. There is a pretty solid scene of her breastfeeding the baby blood and then we cut to him being a grown man setting off to hunt his father. I was hoping for a Dragnet style lawman doing battle with a vampire, but they went another route.

There isn’t a lot to say about the latter half of the movie. The vampire is posing as a college professor, the son poses as a student to catch him, there is a college party full of people too old to be in college, he murders one of the girls, he wants another one to be possessed by the soul of his dead wife. I honestly feel like the movie killed off a more interesting plot line when it killed the lieutenant. The film ends with a seance where the vampire is finally outed and then killed by his son.

The film is made up of actors who were common on tv in the 70s. The camera work is kinda meh, and the dialogue is mostly flat. There is one decently shot basement scene early in the film, and the seance wasn’t too bad, but that’s about it.

The Vampire Happening - 1971

A woman inherits a castle still inhabited by her vampire ancestor and sexy vampire high jinks ensue. Not a lot to say about this one. It’s a West German sex comedy. You’re watching for the boobs, and this movie delivers. I will say a lot of the sight gags worked for me. I especially enjoyed the opening of one coffin to reveal a skeleton still wearing an eyepatch. Although my favorite was probably the Chinese revolutionary vampire, pale white and reading a bright red book. It even ends with a swingin’ vampire party! Over all pretty fun.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
2. DAIMAJIN

This was cool. Not much rampage action but the story is good and it's well shot. Love the way the god is shot while delivering oh so sweet justice upon these cunts. I'm definitely going to check out the sequels.

4 spooks out of 5

3. Pumpkinhead

This is getting two spooks based off the creature design, the way Winston shoots the creature and Lance Henriksen. Just mediocre outside of the factors I mentioned. I was surprised by how little I enjoyed this.

2 spooks out of 5

4. The Autopsy of Jane Doe

Now this was dope. Short and sweet with quality performances from Cox and Hirsch (hate this dude. The story about him trying to choke out that executive cemented his oval office status in my eyes) and some cool scares. It was quite obvious what was going on by the point they opened her up to see the writings on her insides however. I also felt the atmosphere could've been better. Still I had a great time with this.

3.5 spooks out of 5

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

8. Les Revenants (2004) - DVD (French audio with quality English subtitles)

English Tiltle: They Came Back

For two hours, the dead walk out of cemetaries en masse. Where do they go? Home. What do they do? Wander about the old stomping grounds in perfect health and appearance. But things are off.

Pension funds are strained. A refugee crises emerges. Social services are overloaded. Family and friends crushed by waves of emotion. Progress and change have to pause as life is dealt a fundamental shift.

Are the returned people or no? Are they themselves? Are they something else? But avatars of what once was? Should they be accepted? Can they be? Is there any dishonor in being slow, unable, or unwilling to accept them? Should they have returned? Should they stay? Once closure has been found, can those lost ever truly return?

Two hours of melancholy with an undercurrent of anxiety. I can see where many dislike this film and some hate it. But I found it engaging, well made, and sad throughout. Going to give my wife a big hug when I crawl into bed.

Tally: N/A Psycho (1960), 1. Halloween (1978), 2. Halloween II (1981), 3. Carnival of Souls (1962), 4. The Blob (1988), 5. I Bury the Living (1958), 6. Dead Men Walk (1943), 7. Nosferatu (1922), 8. Les Revenants (2002)

Years Spanned: 82 (1922-2004)

Tally by Decade: '20s (I), '30s (0), '40s (I), '50s (I), '60s (II), '70s (I), '80s (II), '90s (0), 2000s (I)

Jackapol
Sep 16, 2007
Huh huh buhhh.
3/31 The Blob (1988) in theater

So I just got back from a fantastic screening of one of my favorite 80's horror films, the 1988 remake of The Blob at the arclight hollywood, they're doing a month of single showings of horror films and I'm so glad they picked this for one of the screenings. Kinda felt like this should be a bit more well known, as it's one of the greats of creature horror films, with some of the best practical effects this side of The Thing. I had forgotten how gruesome the violence is and how many ways they showed people just getting destroyed, no absolutely no one's safe in this. The print was crisp and the film looked and sounded like new, very obviously 80's as gently caress but drat if everything looked just beautiful. The crowd seemed into it and it's the best type of film to watch with a crowd , great film with great energy for a great night.
It's fantastic, absolutely one of the best horror film of the 80's and hell, of the genre. :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Jackapol fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 3, 2018

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
Anyone going to do the Psycho films? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adGebPmRjxg

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
:skeltal:The List:skeltal:
1. Welcome to Willits (Fran Challenge 1: Love Something You Hate)
2. Multiple Maniacs (Fran Challenge 2: Queer Horror)
3. The Phantom of the Opera 1925
Featuring commentary by Andrew Lloyd Webber (as portrayed by Paul F. Tompkins)

The legacy of Univeral's 1925 feature of Phantom of the Opera is long and storied. Lon Chaney, his infamous makeup, the famed opera house set, the showstopping Chandelier scene, etc. It was a film with high aspirations, featuring a large cast and thousands of extras, as well as a lavish opera house that was built to withstand them (and as a result was built to last till 2014). To be a film that could recoup it's cost, it had to be a film for everyone featuring a bit of everything. Romance, drama, comedy, thrills, etc. Within the context of nearly 100 years of film history, you could almost view this as a kind of naive art. Both an artifact and evidence of an artform still refining. It's possible that this is a result of a somewhat troubled production, having been a combination of three independent film shoots that somehow had to be edited into one feature. And perhaps like most films of it's time, it would have been forgotten if not for two things. One, it's production design. It's lavish, grand, sophisticated, and artistically grungy. A clear inspiration not only for the future Universal Monster films, not to mention Hammer and other gothic features, but also for expensive Hollywood epics like Gone With The Wind. The second factor was Lon Chaney. He is magnetic and theatrical, demanding attention with only his hands and expression alone. Add to that his impeccable makeup effects, giving his phantom a quality that's still unnerving (even if it doesn't cause shrieks and fainting in the Frail and Womanly).

But to sidetrack, in the general horror thread there's been on and off conversation about film commentaries. A great way to learn new information about beloved films, to contextualize the nature of your favorite scenes, actors, and filmmakers. But have you considered the benefits of hearing one of the greatest and most wealthy writers of Musicals, Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber, talking over a version of Phantom of the Opera, despite the fact that he did not write it, that he knows nothing about it, and had never seen it before or since?

But yes, this version was one in which professional funny person Paul F. Tompkins recorded live performing as his Comedy Bang Bang character Andrew Lloyd Webber throughout the entire duration. It mainly consists of him pointing out the idiosyncrasies of pre-golden age filmmaking, and kinda backhandedly and egomaniacally insulting the filmmakers for not holding up to the standards of contemporary filmmaking. It was an incredibly silly experiment, that was neither requested nor necessary. Certainly there's some bits that don't land, but there's definitely plenty that do. And the end result is certainly welcome as a bit of free entertainment available on the internet, and for me personally, made it a bit more watchable by keeping me engrossed throughout the entire film.

If you would like to watch it, you can right here (warning, some real awful animation preceeds the actual movie): http://paulftompkins.com/post/178657191289/paul-f-tompkinss-andrew-lloyd-webbers-the

4. Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (Fran Challenge: Hometown Horror)

This one was shot in the town I was born it, in a school that I never went to, but ba gawd you gotta have pride in your home town. And up here, we have Ginger Snap sequels and Prom Night 2. The story of a prom queen accidentally burnt alive the night of her Prom, and back decades later to win again and take revenge.

Anyways, this is defined by being an 80's horror movie. If you took all of Blockbuster's new horror releases circa 1980-1991, put it into a computer and averaged them out, this is likely what you would get. It's a film built out of the parts of other more popular movies: the 1950's throwback of Back to the Future, the surrealness of Nightmare on Elm Street, the telekinetics and setting of Carrie, some of Poltergeist and The Exorcist supernatural shenanigans, plus a small dash of Friday the 13th's bloodlust. The reputation that precedes this film is that it has nothing to do with the original Prom Night. It was an unrelated script, given minor retooling so they could leech off of an already successful feature. Either way, if you look at wikipedia and IMDB, you can get a sense that the screenwriter takes some pride in his script. Not that I will say that it's unwarranted, nor that he shouldn't do so. This film is a kind of just unenthusiastically pleasant-ish. It's a fine first half, seeming like it's trying reach beyond its grasp and say something about burgeoning female sexuality, and the expectation for teen girls to perform while also not be sluts. But then there's the second half that seems to be about cheap titillation and horror, undermining the first. It's just a solid undemanding lazy sunday watch. Not part of the horror cannon, but a solid part of the cult hits library.

As well, I was surprised to see Sam Fisher as one of the starring roles playing the Jerkass Principal.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

7. Four Flies On Grey Velvet ('71)

My fourth Dario Argento film (the others are Suspiria, Deep Red and Phenomena). It's much less out there than those movies, but that lack of gore effects, bright red blood and otherworldly lighting also serves to highlight just how well Argento works with camera movements, creating a really entrancing atmosphere through its slow and measured gliding. So, even if it is quite low-key in comparison to those other films, you can still expect some striking visuals, some of my favorites being the first shot of the killer's toy-man costume, as well as a late-movie kill that involves a set of stairs.
I have to add that the movie features a bunch of oddball minor characters and some nonplussing humor. Bud Spencer shows up to offer our hero moral support from time to time and it feels like the film actually collided into one of Bud's own movies. Then there's the gay private detective, who's pretty enjoyable, but his mannerisms remind me of, like, an innkeeper from some Shaw Bros. kung-fu movie. Yeah, I don't know.
My personal recommendation for people looking watch an Argento film is to go for one of the others I mentioned at the beginning, but if you're into them, this is definitely worth your time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm allowed to participate even if my number is well below 31, right? I've got a drat busy month coming up and I don't think I can reach such lofty goals, but I'm already 2 days in and 2 movies down (and 3 if I can retroactively do Sept 30th) so I feel like if I set it for 15 that's achievable.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I'm allowed to participate even if my number is well below 31, right? I've got a drat busy month coming up and I don't think I can reach such lofty goals, but I'm already 2 days in and 2 movies down (and 3 if I can retroactively do Sept 30th) so I feel like if I set it for 15 that's achievable.

Yes, of course! You could say 10 movies and that would be fine. You could say "as many as I can", and that only mean a dozen by the end, that's still fine.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #5: Birth of Horror :siren:

:ghost: Watch a horror movie released in the year you were born.

or

:ghost: Watch a movie set in the year you were born.

This one's a little simpler. (I'm trying to keep the Wednesday challenges easier and the Friday challenges a little more difficult.)

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 3, 2018

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Ghost Stories (2017)

I’ve been looking forward to this one and saved it for the challenge. This is an anthology, broken into three stories and the wrap-around, that focuses on a man who speciality is debunking paranormal phenomenon.

The stories are all well done, but what shines is the wrap-around/ twist. Some thought was put into this and it paid off to make interesting what is usually a weak aspect of many anthologies.

A couple things, one (no fault of the movies) is that I wish I watched this with closed captions on. Some of the actors speak very-British and quickly, so it’s easy to miss or not understand dialogue.

The other thing, and the only real complaint I would have, is that the movie does a great job of building atmosphere and pacing, but it seems like they couldn’t help but use jump scared, accompanied by a loud sound of course. They weren’t over-the-top in either execution or frequency , but I felt this movie was well made enough that it could have went without them, or maybe one or two that were well delivered.

Watching in a dark room alone, that first segment (the best one imo), gave me my first spook-a-doodle of the month

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/ 5

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Did a double feature of these two movies. I've seen a lot of people in the horror thread say that you don't need to see the first film to watch the second one, and that's true, but I think watching the first one after seeing the second one would make the first one less enjoyable. It seems like it would undercut the whole gist of the movie by making people think about the universe of the second movie, which isn't really in in the first film. Anyway,

17. Resolution (2012) watched on Shudder

It's interesting reading reviews of this that came out at the time of its release because most everyone wanted to talk about it in terms of Cabin in the Woods. A lot of the discussions I read describe the different weird elements that comprise the movie's setting as horror tropes in the vein of the satirical monsters and boogens in Cabin in the Woods. And the film is about story telling, or at least one of the characters thinks it is. Personally I think all the weird elements and characters (the UFO cult, the insane asylum, the tweakers, the territorial natives, the shady buisnessman with a mysterious briefcase, a cave full of roaring (?) hobos, etc.) are just there to illustrate all the dangers the characters could encounter if they misheed the mixed media messages from the future. I don't think they're meant to be overtly satirical or evocative of horror tropes, I think it's more of a sandbox for an unconventional story. Pretty interesting indie movie.

3.75/5

18. The Endless (2017) on Netflix

If the first movie is horror-scifi, this is scifi-horror(ish). The setting of the first film is described more fully, and it's not just a malevolent spirit loving with people. It's also time-loops. Watching these back-to-back felt a lot like watching the first two seasons of Lost or something, except in this case the viewer actually gets a resolution (:v:). It does leave me with some questions that I doubt the filmmakers actually give a poo poo about, like what's the Indian Res's relationship with the time-loops, can they come and go as they please? What's the deal with the roaring hobo cave? Are they in a time loop? Now that the chacters from the first film are locked in their loop, can all the stuff that happened in the first film (calling people on the cell phone, going to town, etc.) not happen? If so how does that affect the events of the first movie? Despite these (or because of them) I quite enjoyed it.

3.75/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House | 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls | 15. The Fly II | 16. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker | 17. Resolution | 18. The Endless

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 3, 2018

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #5: Birth of Horror :siren:

Oh holky gently caress, so many good options for 1983 :stoked:

I'm just going to have to try and resist the temptation to do a cop out and watch Sleepaway Camp for the umpteenth time, and pick something I haven't seen or haven't seen in a while. I'm leaning towards Psycho II since I haven't watched the Psycho sequels in over 20 years.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Now we're talking! October begins and I've hit the best horror decade, the 80's. Started things off with a few all timers:

The Fog(1980)

A great ensemble cast, cinematography by Dean Cundey(he also shot the first three Halloweens, The Thing, and a ton of other great movies for big directors), an unsurprisingly excellent score by Carpenter make this one of the best old-school ghost stories you can find. A weird random thought that came to me while watching the film this time is how much the 1985 Garfield Halloween special borrowed from The Fog. So Carpenter was scaring me indirectly when I was less than five years old!

Anyway, the outdoor scenery and the setting in general feel pretty unique in Carpenter's filmography, and the dynamic way that he shoots the fog itself is really something. In almost every fog scene, he gives it a goal or a purpose so that it really does feel directed by some force, not just random fog. In this shot it's moving towards a house and basically swallowing it whole:

I suppose if there's one criticism we can all agree on it's that Tom Atkins is missing his powerstache. It takes the movie from a 10 to a 9.5.

An American Werewolf in London(1981)

My disgust for Mr. Landis is strong, but come October it's never quite strong enough to keep me away from this movie. It's just that good. You don't find horror and comedy mixed together so naturally like this, especially today. There are almost no outright jokes or gags, the humor comes from mostly the absurdity of the character's situation and their understanding of that absurdity. I also love how British the movie is, Landis really went all-in on making this basically an homage to Hammer films, which is clear right up front when David and Jack seek shelter in a little pub that looks like it was literally used by Hammer studios(it very well may have been).

This movie always gets credit for a jaw-dropping transformation sequence, and rightfully so. But I also appreciate just how much they were able to get out of what really is hardly a monster at all. It doesn't seem that there were very many scenes with a full-on werewolf stalking around, for the most part it's stuff like this:

But it totally works, it's great because it produces moments like when the man falls on the escalator, and the werewolf is seen for a fleeting moment from an overhead shot as it approaches him. It's the Jaws-school of monster movie making; if you can't show the monster in all it's glory, turn that to your advantage and let the audience do the work for you.

Total: 1. Frankenstein(1931) 2. The Old Dark House(1932) 3. The Bride of Frankenstein(1935) 4. The Mummy(1932) 5. The Invisible Man(1933) 6. The Wolfman(1941) 7. House of Frankenstein(1944) 8. House of Dracula(1945) 9. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein(1948) 10. The Boogeyman Will Get You(1942) 11. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms(1953) 12.Gojira(1954) 13. Creature From the Black Lagoon(1954) 14. The Night of the Hunter(1955) 15. The Curse of Frankenstein(1957) 16. Brides of Dracula(1960) 17. The Tomb of Ligeia(1964) 18. Blood and Black Lace(1964) 19. Frankenstein Created Woman(1967) 20. Quatermass and the Pit(1967) 21. Don't Look Now(1973)22. Dracula A.D. 1972 23. Phantom of the Paradise(1974) 24. The Wicker Man(1973) 25. Nosferatu The Vampyre(1979) 26. The Fog(1980) 27. An American Werewolf in London(1981)

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I have no idea how many movies I'll get to this October (I have a week's vacation next week, so I don't think I'll watch much then) but I'm just going for as many as I can. So Far....

Hereditary 2018
This is like Rosemary's Baby in a way, in that it's a slow burn that starts off about how family's handle grief and mental illness but then turns into something really unsettling. Not much gore or death or anything like that, just a really well directed film that makes every shot....suspicious in some way, really playing toward paranoia and the viewer's expectation that something can happen at any time. Try not to find out too much before watching this.
Of course it's not on any streaming services for free; i had to rent it from Amazon. Totally worth it.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:1/2 / 5

1922 2017
Am old fashioned ghost/slipping into insanity story. Based off a Stephen King novella, and it really did feel like King from the 80's. A husband kills his wife because she wants to sell the farm and move to the city, and convinces the son to go along with it. I liked it. But I can see where some won't like the slower pace, but I never felt the movie's length (it's only like an an hour 45 minutes). I also just like Thomas Jane.
This is on Netflix
:spooky::spooky::spooky: / 5

Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich 2018
I'm a sucker for the Puppet Master movies. I was like 12 when the first one came out and even then I knew they were terrible but I loved them nonetheless. This new one pretty much ignore that the puppets were made to hunt Nazis and instead turns them into literal Nazis. A bunch of toy collectors get together for a convention but then the puppets all come to life and kill people. That's it. The movie is more or less just an excuse to have a bunch of very gory death scenes against characters who appear just to die. It's actually pretty loving crazy as it just keeps ramping stuff up to be violent and offensive (a puppet rips an unborn baby out of the mother's stomach to show it to her before she dies..). I also found it really funny because it's played so straight for most of the time, but you can tell the actors are all in on the joke. Plus it stars Thomas Lennon. Yeah...Thomas Lennon.
I loved watching this trash

:spooky::spooky::spooky: /5

PumpkinHead 2: Blood Wings 1993
The first one was a guilty pleasure because the creature is awesome looking and Stan Winston directed it. Th second one had the creature at least. This was so bad, but you could tell it was trying so hard at times. I can;t really say much more. it was dumb.
This was on Amazon Prime

:spooky: /5

I'm going to go in a completely different direction now and watch House on Haunted Hill from 1958 because Vincent Price rules and I've never seen this.

Total: 1. Hereditary (2018) 2. 1922 (2017) 3. Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich (2018) 4. Pumpkinhead 2: BloodWings (1993)

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 3, 2018

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

92- Devil's Nightmare 1971 - DVD

I first caught this one on the USA channel's Saturday Nightmares way back in the day and loved it at first watch.

Story's a basic one of a bus of tourists gets stranded near a castle and have to stay the night until the bus gets fixed. As we've seen time and time again, nothing good's going to come from this. There's a couple twists that you do pretty much expect and do make sense considering everything going on. Essentially if you enjoy Eurohorror, you will definitely want to sit through this one.

93- Deathmaster 1972 - DVD

Part of the problem with watching horror movies when really young is sometimes your recollection of movies tends to blur together. For years I kept remembering a film that had hippy vampires that were going out in the daylight and at the end someone gets slid into a grave and hippies are dancing and jumping over the grave. I'd ask in every horror group I was in if anyone had an idea what film this could be and while Deathmaster is definitely the one with vampire hippies, no one has a clue what the hippy grave dancing one is. If anyone here happens to know, please tell me as it's been sitting on me for ages.

Anyway, Deathmaster's a good 'modern' vampire story. It touches on the hippy communes pulled together by one person's charisma. Robert Quarry said in interviews he copied some of Manson's mannerisms with his portrayal of Khorda and even shared a funny story of since they were filming near Paul Lynde's house and Quarry was taking a smoke break in the full Khorda regalia and Lynde coming out, giving him a look and asking him what the hell he was up to. At the response of 'filming' with a shrug, Lynde rolled his eyes and laughed in his trademarked manner.

Quarry really does an excellent job as Khorda and the rest of the cast does pull off that semi-culty commune vibe well.

Definitely recommend this for a watch.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

This is cool. I'm going to try to do 31 this month.

1 - Summer of 84 (2018)
This movie is about a group of kids in 1984 who suspect that one of their neighbors is secretly a serial killer. It leans heavily into the kids growing up in the 80's aesthetic and I bet nearly every review written will end up mentioning how similar the vibe is to Stranger Things. I like the vibe, it reminds me of movies like Goonies or The Lost Boys. A majority of the movie has the kids finding a clue that seems incredibly damning but then shortly after there's a reasonable explanation for the clue that seems to put their suspect back in the clear. I'd say that my main complaint with the film is that it spends so much time going back and forth on whether their neighbor is the killer that when the end of the film is reached, the ending feels rushed through in an unsatisfying way. I didn't especially like the film overall, but I did like the way the film captured those feelings of growing up and having free time with your friends and talking to a girl you have a crush on.
3/5

2 - Frankenstein (1931)
I never actually sat down and watched Frankenstein until yesterday. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The drive and passion of Dr. Frankenstein in his pursuit is really well captured. As great as Dr. Frankenstein is, my favorite character in this movie is absolutely his father Baron Frankenstein. For the entire first half of the movie, he is complaining about absolutely everything that he can think of. He is the ultimate curmudgeon and I believe his spirit lived on in Walter Matthau. Then in the second half, he's boisterous and celebratory and talks mostly of hoping that they have enough beer for everyone to get good and shitfaced at his son's wedding. Another favorite scene is one that I don't think was played for comedy but it made me laugh. Late in the movie there's a scene where the monster is loose and Henry worries that the wedding can't go on. The sequence made me laugh because in the span of about thirty seconds Henry exclaims that the monster is in the hills, then the monster goes "guhhh" and then Henry exclaims, "he's here!" The timing on it is funny. I liked the movie and will be watching Bride of Frankenstein later today.
4/5

3. Pet (2016)
Pet is about a socially awkward guy who works at an animal shelter who becomes obsessed with a girl he meets on a bus ride. He decides to abduct her and keep her in a cage. It's difficult to say much about this movie without delving into spoilers because it goes in a really strange direction. I don't think the direction the film goes in is handled as well as it could've been. I think there's the potential for a really interesting movie in here, but that the way the story is told really lets down the premise. There's a good sense of tension throughout the final third of the movie, but the direction the story goes in really kept me from giving a poo poo by that point.
2/5

Jolo fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 3, 2018

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Also, my birth year, 1978, almost feels like cheating since it has Dawn of the Dead, I spit on Your Grave, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Piranha, and mother loving Halloween

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jolo posted:

This is cool. I'm going to try to do 31 this month.

1 - Summer of 84 (2018)

And how did you feel about the movie? We'd be interested in hearing your opinion of the movies you watch!

I'm having a hard time with today's Fran Challenge. As a 1984 baby, there's one very obvious candidate but I'd prefer not to go that route. I'm considering maybe C.H.U.D. or Razorback, has anyone seen these on Amazon Streaming, and if so, are the versions there complete poo poo or are they at least watchable?

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 3, 2018

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

drat 1988 is a good year for that challenge. So many choices.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

enigmahfc posted:

Also, my birth year, 1978, almost feels like cheating since it has Dawn of the Dead, I spit on Your Grave, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Piranha, and mother loving Halloween

I've got possibly an even better year - Black Christmas, Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires and TCM.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm 1983 and it sucks I already did Mandy.

BTW this challenge rules 'cause we get to learn how old everybody is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm 1983 and it sucks I already did Mandy.

BTW this challenge rules 'cause we get to learn how old everybody is.

Christine

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Basebf555 posted:

And how did you feel about the movie? We'd be interested in hearing your opinion of the movies you watch!

I'm having a hard time with today's Fran Challenge. As a 1984 baby, there's one very obvious candidate but I'd prefer not to go that route. I'm considering maybe C.H.U.D. or Razorback, has anyone seen these on Amazon Streaming, and if so, are the versions there complete poo poo or are they at least watchable?

I edited in the rest of that post. I started to type and I guess I'd tabbed onto submit or something.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have a ridiculous number of good options for '86: Critters, Chopping Mall, From Beyond, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, House, Maximum Overdrive, Night of the Creeps, Poltergeist II, Slaughter High, Spookies, and TerrorVision are all pretty high on my list of "need to watch" list, and a handful of my old favorites are there too.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 3, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

I have a ridiculous number of good options for '86: Critters, Chopping Mall, From Beyond, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, House, Maximum Overdrive, Night of the Creeps, Poltergeist II, Slaughter High, Spookies, and TerrorVision are all pretty high on my list of "need to watch" list, and a handful of my old favorites are there too.

I've heard good things about this one, can't remember exactly where though...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

From Beyond
Henry*
Night of the Creeps
TerrorVision
Chopping Mall
House
Maximum Overdrive
Critters

In that order.

Those left off are ones I haven't seen yet.

*Tonally this is the darkest of the batch. It's one of the most bleak nihilistic films I've seen. So, be aware of that before just jumping in.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

16. The Howling (1981, Joe Dante) Source: Shudder

It's always tedious when characters in a horror movie spend the majority of the time discovering what type of movie they're in. WEREWOLVES, PEOPLE. IT'S WEREWOLVES! I do realize this is common for horror movies, but this seemed to take an especially long time for the characters to learn what the audience has known for the past hour. There isn't a whole lot here plot-wise that impressed me. It all plays out fairly standard. Though I do like the PTSD "repressed memory" approach the film takes with Dee Wallace's character. Speaking of Wallace, she's absolutely lovely here. I mean she's always lovely, but she just glows in this movie.

Despite a sluggish buildup, the film hits it out of the park in the last act. Let's talk about these werewolves. They're just about the creepiest I've seen. I love their design. The effects work is this film's saving grace. I didn't know Rick Baker was involved until the end credits, but when I saw his name it all made sense. This is impressive stuff. That is with the exception of two specific shots that use animation - the first one was so jarringly bad that I legitimately thought the movie was moving into a surrealistic animated mode ala Mandy. But no, just a shoddy optical effect. It's an extremely brief shot and is more than made up for by the movie's surplus of killer practical effects.

Here's some horror heresy for you: this film's transformation sequence is superior to the one in An American Werewolf in London. I love the way the dude's skin pulses and quivers. It's not just technically impressive, it's pretty terrifying.

(3 silver bullets out of 5)

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 4, 2018

SMP
May 5, 2009

Anyone have any recommendations for movies released/set in 1993? I've seen Body Bags and Cronos and don't particularly want to rewatch either.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SMP posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for movies released/set in 1993? I've seen Body Bags and Cronos and don't particularly want to rewatch either.

Leprechaun, Needful Things, Return of the Living Dead 3, Carnosaur

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SMP posted:

There's an underrated Lovecraft themed anthology called Necronomicon, and also Return of the Living Dead 3 is pretty drat good for a sequel.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cronos is a good watch, too. I read good :downs:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 3, 2018

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

SMP posted:

Dark Waters

Body Snatchers, The Untold Story

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Letterboxd is a great way to see the movies that came out in a particular year. Go to Films, then filter by genre and year. You can then sort them by highest average rating if you want to weed out the crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Letterboxd is a great way to see the movies that came out in a particular year. Go to Films, then filter by genre and year. You can then sort them by highest average rating if you want to weed out the crap.

I made these lists for myself because I'm going decade by decade for my challenge, but you can organize them by release year so they may be useful:
https://letterboxd.com/basebf555/list/best-horror-of-the-80s/
https://letterboxd.com/basebf555/list/best-horror-of-the-90s/

There's lists for every decade from 30's to present, obviously not totally comprehensive but I did my best.

• Locked thread