Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
God, I got put in a guillotine that cracked my back today

I have also decided to refer to the sport as Brazilian BOO-Jitsu for the month of october or until someone chokes me out for saying it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spb posted:

edit: also suggestions for butterfly guard dvd? I'm going t ostart using it since I can maintain guard at all

Bruno Malfacine and Marcelo are butterfly guard guys.

Super stoked for Quintet 3. Gonna be going and then got Craig Jones seminar the following Sunday.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Had the most embarrassing tap today.

Thought I would mess around and lazily invert on a white belt, accidentally took a bump to the head while inverting. White belt stacks me, and suddenly my nose starts leaking mucus like really bad. I end up tapping because I start drowning in it, and my nose wouldn't stop running for like a minute after. Is this a thing the human body does? I haven't been smacked in the head and immediately get a super runny nose before.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Is this a thing the human body does?

Nah, you're just charming soft.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Probably just some CSF. Drink some water and you'll be fine.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defenestrategy posted:

Had the most embarrassing tap today.

Thought I would mess around and lazily invert on a white belt, accidentally took a bump to the head while inverting. White belt stacks me, and suddenly my nose starts leaking mucus like really bad. I end up tapping because I start drowning in it, and my nose wouldn't stop running for like a minute after. Is this a thing the human body does? I haven't been smacked in the head and immediately get a super runny nose before.

Thats me everytime theres a major dust storm/the AQI goes up past 100.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mekchu posted:

In case you forgot, Quintet 3 is this weekend.

"In case we forgot". Pfft.

Im all over this poo poo :D Cant wait! The last one was incredible. I predict good things this time around too.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I was rolling with a brand new dude last night and it was the first time I ever saw someone terror tap. There were two times he tapped when I didn't even have anything in yet because he had no idea what was going on and wanted to restart.

I am split between whether thats a genius move or a bad move for learning from rolling.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was rolling with a brand new dude last night and it was the first time I ever saw someone terror tap. There were two times he tapped when I didn't even have anything in yet because he had no idea what was going on and wanted to restart.

I am split between whether thats a genius move or a bad move for learning from rolling.

If a guy has been training for a while and is tapping before I really have something locked up, I usually say something because once you've been rolling for a while and know what a choke or an armlock feels like, it's doing a disservice to your partner who is attempting the sub to tap early, and it's not helping you grow defensively either so lose-lose.

On the other hand, if it's a dude's first week or two, it's actually probably better off for him to be tapping too early out of ignorance than not early enough out of ignorance.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

butros posted:

If a guy has been training for a while and is tapping before I really have something locked up, I usually say something because once you've been rolling for a while and know what a choke or an armlock feels like, it's doing a disservice to your partner who is attempting the sub to tap early, and it's not helping you grow defensively either so lose-lose.

On the other hand, if it's a dude's first week or two, it's actually probably better off for him to be tapping too early out of ignorance than not early enough out of ignorance.

Yeah. I guess what caught me off guard is that he was tapping to stuff that wasnt even a move. Like, he tapped as I moved up my mount. I do see a kind of brilliance in it, once I had him mounted it was just a matter of time, but it still felt weird for him to tap out when I hadnt even tried a sub yet.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I terror tapped the other day...to myself. I managed to get into a position when I was putting a lot of pressure on my neck. I tapped out of fear that I might actually snap it. My training partner kind of wondered what happened and I explained what happened but he kind of had a feeling that we were in a bad position.

Its really important to understand your comfort level and your body when rolling.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

butros posted:

This.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Early on I tapped to a bunch of stuff that is kinda laughable now.

Most people just aren't used to having a giant sweaty man in spandex lay on them.

It takes a bit, but eventually your tolerance for "discomfort" begins to move in the correct direction (meaning you can deal with more).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Early on I tapped to a bunch of stuff that is kinda laughable now.

Most people just aren't used to having a giant sweaty man in spandex lay on them.

Ah right, I forget not everyone is raised catholic

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Seriously I tapped my first week to people passing guard, knee on belly, etc.

I still will tap for this one fat dude we've got who can make a perfect, unbreakable seal around your face with his belly and will just choke you that way.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

poo poo I will still tap to knee on belly

its like my one super noob weakness

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah. I guess what caught me off guard is that he was tapping to stuff that wasnt even a move. Like, he tapped as I moved up my mount. I do see a kind of brilliance in it, once I had him mounted it was just a matter of time, but it still felt weird for him to tap out when I hadnt even tried a sub yet.

It's not brilliance though to tap when you're mounted, it's ignorance. Yes, at that stage in his training he's inevitably going to get tapped by you eventually unless you screw things up somehow, but he's not going to learn how to defend if he doesn't eventually let things progress further and further with submissions being applied.

In my brief time training it seems like it takes guys a month or two of regular live rolling to feel comfortable trying to survive/defend subs because it takes that long to get used to the discomfort of positionally being in bottom mount or side control, and they've spent enough times in those bad spots that they are starting to be able to recognize the difference between "I'm in a bad spot positionally but am not in danger of getting subbed" vs "I'm about to have my elbow dislocated and had better tap post-haste."

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

can't wait for Quintet. On one hand, I love how TAM is signing all these "free agents", on the other hand, they aren't from TAM so it's not quite the same thing as "team x" vs "team y".

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

can't wait for Quintet. On one hand, I love how TAM is signing all these "free agents", on the other hand, they aren't from TAM so it's not quite the same thing as "team x" vs "team y".

I would love to see Josh Barnett vs Gordon Ryan. Im hoping that showdown takes place, although Im not exactly sure how the matchups are determined so it might not happen.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've had super new guys tap like that and usually I put myself in their previous position and go from there.

I don't like to stop rolling to teach but that way they can get an idea of what one can do when mounted or turtled up or whatever.

Then after class, we can cover it step by step if they want to, or whomever is head instructor for that class can get with them.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I would love to see Josh Barnett vs Gordon Ryan. Im hoping that showdown takes place, although Im not exactly sure how the matchups are determined so it might not happen.

From what I understand having listened to Dan Strauss’ podcast after the first one, teams secretly self select their order. So there’s some luck in the matchups if each match is a draw and it’s just one up one down. But if there are subs and a competitor stays on, that’s where it gets really interesting. There are a ton of matches that would be amazing to see given the roster on all four teams (Craig Jones v Gordon Ryan rematch anyone?), and I’m anticipating that there will be some really great surprises and potential both in the initial team self selection and as guys get eliminated throughout the competition

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I don’t think tapping early is always necessarily bad. For me it depends who I’m rolling with, if they’re going really hard for some reason. I don’t want to get choked out or have them break my arm getting the arm lock so they they can learn how to finish the move correctly

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

btw, a few times now I have been able to escape side control by creating some space and leg scissoring my opponents head.

Is there a name for this? I have been trying to find videos on how to do it better but nothing seems to be popping up

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Submission (Terror) owns

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

btw, a few times now I have been able to escape side control by creating some space and leg scissoring my opponents head.

Is there a name for this? I have been trying to find videos on how to do it better but nothing seems to be popping up

that's called a uuh neck crank. look up inverted / reverse triangle

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Submission (Terror) owns

The Joe Son Special

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A head scissor? If you can do it then you already framed to a good position so the scissor itself isn't that important

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

A head scissor? If you can do it then you already framed to a good position so the scissor itself isn't that important

I guess?

this is about the position I am in when I try for it. I whip the free leg up and around the head and push him off with it or try to lock in a head scissor/triangle

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

butros posted:

From what I understand having listened to Dan Strauss’ podcast after the first one, teams secretly self select their order. So there’s some luck in the matchups if each match is a draw and it’s just one up one down. But if there are subs and a competitor stays on, that’s where it gets really interesting. There are a ton of matches that would be amazing to see given the roster on all four teams (Craig Jones v Gordon Ryan rematch anyone?), and I’m anticipating that there will be some really great surprises and potential both in the initial team self selection and as guys get eliminated throughout the competition

Oh ok I see. Yeah I agree that roster is full of interesting possible matchups.

I gotta say I am a little disappointed that Haisam Rida didnt make the roster though.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I gotta say I am a little disappointed that Haisam Rida didnt make the roster though.

He is booked for a super fight tho :dance:

https://www.quintet-fight.com/en/2018/09/29/special-match-announcement/

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I had to take another basically 2 weeks off, or just rolling/drilling very light and holy poo poo my stamina was gone. I also dropped ~10lbs from being a lazy gently caress after surgery and when I rolled with the new guys who I could destroy 2 weeks ago I was just getting dominated last night. Really goes to show how bad even a little break can be.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Oh ok I see. Yeah I agree that roster is full of interesting possible matchups.

I saw on some place, not SA, that Haisam got his blackbelt between Quintet 2 & now which is cool. Dude looked amazing.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yes!

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

I had to take another basically 2 weeks off, or just rolling/drilling very light and holy poo poo my stamina was gone. I also dropped ~10lbs from being a lazy gently caress after surgery and when I rolled with the new guys who I could destroy 2 weeks ago I was just getting dominated last night. Really goes to show how bad even a little break can be.

I can only train every second month and it's so depressing to play catch up with everyone all the time.

In the same vein I've been doing some off mat activity to try and reduce the physical aspect of not rolling for so long . My cardio routine seems pretty good but for lifting I've just been doing a regular body building routine (three day split). As a hobbyist does it make much a difference what sort of weight lifting im doing? I've had some of the higher belts give me some negative opinions but this routine is pretty simple, works with the gear I can access, and makes me sore so I figure it was ok.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

flashman posted:

I can only train every second month and it's so depressing to play catch up with everyone all the time.

In the same vein I've been doing some off mat activity to try and reduce the physical aspect of not rolling for so long . My cardio routine seems pretty good but for lifting I've just been doing a regular body building routine (three day split). As a hobbyist does it make much a difference what sort of weight lifting im doing? I've had some of the higher belts give me some negative opinions but this routine is pretty simple, works with the gear I can access, and makes me sore so I figure it was ok.

If its a 5x5 or Starting Strength style workout I have found its pretty good. The big three lifts are all really helpful for BJJ

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

flashman posted:

As a hobbyist does it make much a difference what sort of weight lifting im doing? I've had some of the higher belts give me some negative opinions but this routine is pretty simple, works with the gear I can access, and makes me sore so I figure it was ok.

Honestly there are so many full body workouts you can do on the mat, I personally think the weight training is a bit overrated in terms of improving your BJJ game.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Honestly there are so many full body workouts you can do on the mat, I personally think the weight training is a bit overrated in terms of improving your BJJ game.

I don't bother when I can train four or five times a week but when I'm away I'm basically limited to either cardio machines or weights by nature of the living arrangement.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

As someone that's often had a weak back, I'll say the kind of strength deadlifts give certainly wouldn't hurt. Quite the opposite, I'd think lifting would help prevent injuries on the mat.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Count Roland posted:

As someone that's often had a weak back, I'll say the kind of strength deadlifts give certainly wouldn't hurt. Quite the opposite, I'd think lifting would help prevent injuries on the mat.

Yeah. Like, you don't need to be squatting three plates for strength training to be really helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Count Roland posted:

When I started BJJ I had been lifting heavy for a few years and that strength covers a multitude of sins.

HOWEVER, big muscles restrict your movement in a big way. Even if you constantly work on flexibility and once dudes know that you're the really strong guy they'll change it up on you to minimize that advantage.