Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

kenner116
May 15, 2009

caberham posted:

Meanwhile in Indonesia 800 plus people are dead from an earth quake and infrastructure has been paralyzed.

Oh boo hoo there’s only the family mart open

How are the Indomarets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Jerome Louis posted:

Currently in Kyoto, everything is closed and we're in our Airbnb with a bunch of 9% Suntory Highballs and Family Mart snacks

I stocked up on good rum and sake beforehand. I'm set for the evening.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

chuuhai and fried onions here

Indonesia got rekt : (((

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

peanut posted:

chuuhai and fried onions here

Indonesia got rekt : (((

drat that is absolutely terrible.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
edit: quote is not edit

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If it was a bunch of Chinese tourists that died in a tsunami this thread would not pretend to give a poo poo. 🐸☕️

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Won't somebody think of the Chinese tourists???

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Stay safe japan goons

Heard Kanagawa got hit hard

Telemundoz
Dec 23, 2014

CHEE
We live outside of Nagasaki. All safe here.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I'm gonna miss the excellent customer service. And no tipping. Later Japan.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

TopHatGenius posted:

I'm gonna miss the excellent customer service. And no tipping. Later Japan.

I'm leaving tomorrow. Same.

I may not actually be the most important person in their lives, but drat if it doesn't feel like it when I'm talking to them.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
We have enough tourists, tell everyone that Japan sucks to visit. TIA

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

prompt posted:

We have enough tourists, tell everyone that Japan sucks to visit. TIA

“We”

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Are you assuming my identify

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like personal safety and shrines and ancient trees and riding bikes and having health insurance = Japan owns.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Canada has all of that except the shrines pretty much

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I miss having "IRRASHAIMASEEEEE" shouted at me indiscriminately when shopping

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

ALFbrot posted:

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Hey, has anyone ever gone to one of those "Samurai Schools" like Kembu? I'm not assuming it isn't a tacky tourist thing, but I'm wondering if it's one that would be a fun afternoon during my trip in Kyoto or Tokyo or if it's one where I heavily regret it 15 minutes in because it's basically a photo op hidden in a 3 hour class. Starting to think that going to the Samarai museum in Osaka or watching a demonstration might be a better decision but let me know if I'm wrong about that.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Managed to completely cock up buying the right tickets for the Narita Express at the automated machines, ended up paying ¥6500 or so, then had it all refunded after an accident on the Narita line suspended all trains. I had to instead swap to the Skyliner an hour later and run the gauntlet of changing at Nippori.

Am I being the dumb gaijin well enough?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

I miss walking into a store and being blinded by the lights cranked to 200%

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I miss the manic Tokyu Store jingle, which is probably less than a minute long and plays on a loud loop all day to keep the staff motivated

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

I miss the manic Tokyu Store jingle, which is probably less than a minute long and plays on a loud loop all day to keep the staff motivated

The best is the Yamada Denki song in LABI stores:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3aR-DnEcM8

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ALFbrot posted:

The best is the Yamada Denki song in LABI stores:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3aR-DnEcM8

[in an extremely American voice] Book-Off Information Book-Off Information The Music

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Some times Japan feels like a really large scale experiment of how far it's possible to push people before they off themselves. I go nuts from just hearing the same lovely pop music on the radio a few times a day, an entire workday listening to a ten second jingle would probably drive right off a cliff

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I seriously don't know how anyone can work in Tokyu Store no, at least Ozeki doesn't have a jingle, just a person shouting over a megaphone about discounts

This is probably also why I prefer to shop at Lidl and Aldi back home, those places don't have a soundtrack

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Does the Family Mart jingle still play literally every time someone walks in or out of the store?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

let me tell you about the "niku niku niku" song at cheap grocery stores…

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
My wife and I visited a couple of Yodobashi Camera department stores, and after a while that jingle drove her nuts. It was the same drat thing on an endless loop in both Akihabara and Kyoto.

And look someone even recorded it. Same song from 7+ years ago. I'd kill myself if I had to listen to that day in and out.

https://youtu.be/-C0CPrBLUA0

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TopHatGenius posted:

My wife and I visited a couple of Yodobashi Camera department stores, and after a while that jingle drove her nuts. It was the same drat thing on an endless loop in both Akihabara and Kyoto.

And look someone even recorded it. Same song from 7+ years ago. I'd kill myself if I had to listen to that day in and out.

https://youtu.be/-C0CPrBLUA0

Their TV commercials use it too and are so low-rent it’s astonishing.

Personally it’s much funnier when shops do things like play random English language power ballads or yacht rock. For some reason my local AEON grocery floor likes playing Heart’s “Alone”.

Chibberwocky
Nov 14, 2012

I don’t know which shop it was (some kind of discount chemist?) but their jingle was just “irasshaimase!!!” Over and over again.

My most recent trip was the first time I went to Hard Off, that’s quite a jingle too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFLYuKUKXoY

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

Question Mark Mound posted:

Does the Family Mart jingle still play literally every time someone walks in or out of the store?

the register plays it every time a transaction is completed as well

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Is the teamLab Planets exhibition in Tokyo something I can get tickets for at the door? Or do I need to prepurchase online?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yodobashi Camera got the lyrics of John Brown's Body stuck in my head for the entire time I was in Kyoto.

prompt posted:

Canada has all of that except the shrines pretty much

One of my absolutely favorite parts of biking across Japan was how I could leave my bike absolutely anywhere and not have to worry about if it would be there when I get back. Go to a restaurant, sketchy bar, bird sanctuary, wherever and I could fully enjoy what I'm there for without having to make a big thing out of my locking strategy. People would just ride to the corner store to pick up a pack of smokes and just leave their $10k Pinarello leaning on the wall. That's definitely not something we have here in Canada.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You kind of got lucky though, bike theft is one of the very few crimes (excluding white collar poo poo) that is common in Japan. And other parts of Asia too, just about every bike owner I knew had at least one stolen. One particularly unlucky friend in Korea had four stolen, all in under a month after purchase, before giving up.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've heard that mamacharis get stolen and taken for joyrides, but the number of insanely expensive bikes I'd see people leaving around for hours on end left me with the impression that stealing something that's obviously not a basic cruiser wasn't done because it'd be a world of hassle when you eventually get caught. Absolutely everyone who saw my lock during the time I was using it was making comments on how overkill it was over there.

Maybe it's different in Tokyo - I didn't do much in the way of riding there what with smashing my collarbone right before my arrival.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
It happens but it's nowhere near as common as big North American cities. Also bikes are registered to their owners and the cops will occasionally stop people to check which is a big deterrent. You're also not getting people running around with portable angle grinders going through u-locks. If you properly lock up your poo poo you're quite unlikely to have it taken.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
When you're in Akihabara, get ready to hear the Maid Dreamin jingle at every corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkZBTkkISko

And then get ready to have the tune infecting your brain the entire time you're there.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Archer666 posted:

When you're in Akihabara, get ready to hear the Maid Dreamin jingle at every corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkZBTkkISko

And then get ready to have the tune infecting your brain the entire time you're there.

I completely forgot about this one and now it's infected my mind again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Trip report: teamLab Tokyo Planets was loving awesome, would be even better on acid. Singapore had 1 of the 4 parts and even still I spent 2 hours just chilling and taking it all in.