Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

I mean people still poo poo all over artists that have been dead for like 100 years, so never. They do it because it feels good

Fatty Arbuckle was totally guilty, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MrUnderbridge posted:

Fatty Arbuckle was totally guilty, guys.

*sighs in relief while I lay back down in my hammock with a mojito* I always knew that guy was trouble

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Tim Allen is cast to be the villain in the candy man remake

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

datajugend posted:

Tim Allen is cast to be the villain in the candy man remake

An all white version of Candyman taking place in the $800k condos they built on top of Cabrini Green doesn't quite sound like it will have the same punch, but Hollywood knows what it's doing.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

being a NewsRadio fan is kinda hard :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

An all white version of Candyman taking place in the $800k condos they built on top of Cabrini Green doesn't quite sound like it will have the same punch, but Hollywood knows what it's doing.

I would pay to see Candyman: Logan Square

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think god drat Malcolm in the Middle used to come on before the Simpsons? The only thing I remember about it besides how terrible it was is the episode where the older brother tries to date this girl because she has suddenly sprouted big tits. Then cant remember her name and loving just grabs them. Its edited out here but jeez, imagine if that came out today
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5qcf0e

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's basically my thinking, there's a gajillion people in the world and we're not so hard up for anything - musicians, politicians, actors, entertainers, anything - that we should support bigots, rapists, and various creeps. It's a symptom of worshipping wealth, once a person has ascended to that level of celebrity we act like they're invaluable to society and we have to ignore anything lovely they do. They're not and we don't.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

codo27 posted:

I think god drat Malcolm in the Middle used to come on before the Simpsons? The only thing I remember about it besides how terrible it was is the episode where the older brother tries to date this girl because she has suddenly sprouted big tits. Then cant remember her name and loving just grabs them. Its edited out here but jeez, imagine if that came out today

Malcolm in the Middle was pioneering in that it was one of the first single-cam, no laugh track/audience comedies and it accurately depicted what it's like to be poor. I never found it that funny but it certainly wasn't terrible.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I will never figure out why white people are so into forgiving bigotry.

You never see them going to bat for celebrities who commit crimes or anything like that but someone does a racism and all of a sudden you got to turn the other cheek.

Like no one goes to bat for OJ even before he went completely insane

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

You never see them going to bat for celebrities who commit crimes or anything like that but someone does a racism and all of a sudden you got to turn the other cheek.

Because if celebrities don’t get a second chance after exposing themselves as bigots, what will happen when I expose myself as a bigot?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Malcolm in the Middle was pioneering in that it was one of the first single-cam, no laugh track/audience comedies and it accurately depicted what it's like to be poor. I never found it that funny but it certainly wasn't terrible.

Malcom in the Middle was more along the lines of dark, almost Kafkaesque comedy from what I remember, and ended up being a pretty barefaced portrayal of parental abuse and neglect. Everyone in that family is hosed up and loving each other up.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Because if celebrities don’t get a second chance after exposing themselves as bigots, what will happen when I expose myself as a bigot?

There's that, but in particular people tend to project their own beliefs and experiences onto celebrity trainwrecks. People who aren't bigots or creeps have a hard time imagining the mindset of bigots and creeps; it's not always that they're secretly guilty of the same thing, sometimes it's because they're so innocent they can't really comprehend what makes them different from the real monsters. They see a celebrity's racist rant or sexual harassment scandal and just assume that they're confused and awkward because those things make no sense to them and they can't wrap their head around someone doing them with deliberate intent.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Raising Hope did all of this much better imo

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

No one goes to bat for OJ because he literally got away with murder. Then he went to jail for actual armed robbery. That's a huge difference from "he said something lovely that one time."

I'm not saying somebody outing themselves as a racist should be totally ignored. It's possible that Richards isn't a full on racist and was just having a lovely day. It's also possible that he was, in fact, a full on racist and the whole situation made him realize just how wrong he was and he has since fixed the error in his ways. What he did was awful but the whole idea behind punishments is that, unless you do something really heinous, they're temporary. If a person is willing to own what they did and mend their awful ways then we shouldn't hate them forever.

Of course if somebody is an unrepentant racist that refuses to change that belief for any reason then go ahead and hate them forever.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because they're bigots.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

If you get mad at a black person and the first place your mind goes to is threatening to lynch them, I feel pretty safe in the assumption that you're a full on, hardcore racist.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Malcom in the Middle was more along the lines of dark, almost Kafkaesque comedy from what I remember, and ended up being a pretty barefaced portrayal of parental abuse and neglect. Everyone in that family is hosed up and loving each other up.

as someone roughly malcom's age and also a Gifted Kid when it was first airing it was probably good for me that the show also eventually went 'yeah, malcolm's actually kinda lovely too, he's not better just cause he's the POV character and smarter than his family'

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What he did was awful but the whole idea behind punishments is that, unless you do something really heinous, they're temporary.
Not being a celebrity isn't a punishment. If people stop paying to see an entertainer, that entertainer isn't being punished, they're just not as successful any more.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I don’t like Malcolm in the middle. Tried a few episodes and thought it sucked every time and during conversation if people profess to liking it it lowers my opinion of them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Heads up, this country is pretty lovely about letting anyone atone for anything ever, especially in the social media age.

I've worked with felons post-incarceration trying to piece their lives together after their debt to society has auspiciously been paid. For a non-rich and especially non-white person, a felony conviction can amount to something close to a life sentence, because people will just not let that poo poo go.

Yes, we should let people have a second chance if they actually are remorseful and are working to fix their problem.

No, we shouldn't just shrug off non-apologies and repeated bad behavior.

If Michael Richards said some terrible, hateful things, yeah, he has to own that and figure out how to fix himself and make amends. Should we just brush it off and ignore it? No. Should we tell him he can't ever do stand-up again? No. Do I ever want to see him again? No. But, if his non-racist humor was something people liked, and he tries to fix his issues, gently caress yeah, let people enjoy what they enjoy. If noted unfunny hack Jerry Seinfeld wants to vouch for him so he can get a headline show somewhere, that's on the both of them.

Telling people they can't ever fix poo poo when they've hosed up is ridiculous. And no, it's not just racism. But, yes, we should be holding them to a standard of "You actually have to accept responsibility for your fuckups and show actual good-faith effort to make good, and not just throwing money at it".

PS: I'm still mad every time I think about the fact that the "local boy made good" Kevin Clash, the man behind Elmo, was abusing teenage boys. He's deflected and justified at every turn and it makes me even madder that Sesame Street was complicit. That dude can loving rot in hell with Cosby and Woody Allen and John Wayne.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toshimo posted:

Heads up, this country is pretty lovely about letting anyone atone for anything ever, especially in the social media age.

I've worked with felons post-incarceration trying to piece their lives together after their debt to society has auspiciously been paid. For a non-rich and especially non-white person, a felony conviction can amount to something close to a life sentence, because people will just not let that poo poo go.

Yes, we should let people have a second chance if they actually are remorseful and are working to fix their problem.

No, we shouldn't just shrug off non-apologies and repeated bad behavior.

If Michael Richards said some terrible, hateful things, yeah, he has to own that and figure out how to fix himself and make amends. Should we just brush it off and ignore it? No. Should we tell him he can't ever do stand-up again? No. Do I ever want to see him again? No. But, if his non-racist humor was something people liked, and he tries to fix his issues, gently caress yeah, let people enjoy what they enjoy. If noted unfunny hack Jerry Seinfeld wants to vouch for him so he can get a headline show somewhere, that's on the both of them.

Telling people they can't ever fix poo poo when they've hosed up is ridiculous. And no, it's not just racism. But, yes, we should be holding them to a standard of "You actually have to accept responsibility for your fuckups and show actual good-faith effort to make good, and not just throwing money at it".

PS: I'm still mad every time I think about the fact that the "local boy made good" Kevin Clash, the man behind Elmo, was abusing teenage boys. He's deflected and justified at every turn and it makes me even madder that Sesame Street was complicit. That dude can loving rot in hell with Cosby and Woody Allen and John Wayne.

People just can't stop comparing "said something racist and got fired" with "literally locked in prison for years" can they.

Like I must have missed the legislation that made paying to see Michael Richards do stand up illegal, under penalty of five years imprisonment or a fine of up to $25,000

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

oldpainless posted:

I don’t like Malcolm in the middle. Tried a few episodes and thought it sucked every time and during conversation if people profess to liking it it lowers my opinion of them.

More like oldJaneless

I didn't like it either, though. Hit too close to home.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Brother Entropy posted:

as someone roughly malcom's age and also a Gifted Kid when it was first airing it was probably good for me that the show also eventually went 'yeah, malcolm's actually kinda lovely too, he's not better just cause he's the POV character and smarter than his family'

That ep where the younger genius kid and Malcolm bond over comparing his brain to a constantly buzzing bee and then the kid says his own head is filled with a million of those was hilarious. Humbled the gently caress out of him there.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
A bunch of folk i went to uni with sat and watched every episode of Malcolm and Futurama over the course of an academic year and maybe its overexposure but nothing about either show stands out in my memory.

Actually that's a lie i laughed pretty hard at a joke Dr Zoidberg made in the first couple of episodes, something about Fry insulting his mother maybe? I dont want to just poo poo on them because that's unfair but they were just so bland and forgettable.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CrRoMa posted:

A bunch of folk i went to uni with sat and watched every episode of Malcolm and Futurama over the course of an academic year and maybe its overexposure but nothing about either show stands out in my memory.

Actually that's a lie i laughed pretty hard at a joke Dr Zoidberg made in the first couple of episodes, something about Fry insulting his mother maybe? I dont want to just poo poo on them because that's unfair but they were just so bland and forgettable.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I've heard a number of criticisms about Futurama, but 'bland and forgettable' is a new one.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's possible that Richards isn't a full on racist and was just having a lovely day.

lol

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

codo27 posted:

Not saying it's right but she beats the poo poo out of him after he does it. Malcolm in the Middle was alright. It didn't really hide that the characters were lovely; there was one episode where the family finds out that during their annual getaway the neighborhood throws a block party.

What I'm saying is that Malcolm in the Middle is better than Friends.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

That's not who he is!

He just needed to wind down by shouting the n-word several times.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Man friends was a great show but i bet you could write a laundry list of things people would fall over to get offended about.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Brother Entropy posted:

One of the best things on that show was the second gifted teacher he had, the male one who was a former gifted kid who grew up to be a bitter shithead. Reminded me of more than one gifted teacher I had at the time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CrRoMa posted:

Man friends was a great show but i bet you could write a laundry list of things people would fall over to get offended about.

Friends wasn't great and personally I'm offended that the show put forward the idea that it is unnatural for a man to choose a profession where he takes care of children.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Pastry of the Year posted:

What did Andy Dick do/Joe Rogan say this time?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They speed up some older shows now for commercial room, and it makes whinier characters like Ross from friends sound even worse.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

We should celebrate the show for being so good, that even the casted asshats, unstables and crazies managed to produce quality stuff.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No one goes to bat for OJ because he literally got away with murder. Then he went to jail for actual armed robbery. That's a huge difference from "he said something lovely that one time."

I'm not saying somebody outing themselves as a racist should be totally ignored. It's possible that Richards isn't a full on racist and was just having a lovely day. It's also possible that he was, in fact, a full on racist and the whole situation made him realize just how wrong he was and he has since fixed the error in his ways. What he did was awful but the whole idea behind punishments is that, unless you do something really heinous, they're temporary. If a person is willing to own what they did and mend their awful ways then we shouldn't hate them forever.

Of course if somebody is an unrepentant racist that refuses to change that belief for any reason then go ahead and hate them forever.

See this is what I’m talking about racists get the full benefit of the doubt but people that commit crimes? Nope assume the absolute worst, including using info that wasn’t available at that time.

Like why couldn’t you assume he felt guilty for what he did or did it out of some passionate mistake.

Like you have projected this whole character of Richards as feeling guilty and seeking atonement based on nothing. All over what maybe not getting a few gigs which could easily be explained by the fact he was over the hill even then?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Der Kyhe posted:

We should celebrate the show for being so good, that even the casted asshats, unstables and crazies managed to produce quality stuff.

Like Babylon 5.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

londonarbuckle posted:

What did Andy Dick do/Joe Rogan say this time?

I was just reminded that human chancre Scott Adams had a cameo on one episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I know when I’m having a bad day, there’s nothing that helps me unwind faster than finding a black person and yelling:

Michael Richards posted:

Fifty years ago we'd have you upside-down with a loving fork up your rear end!
[...]
They're going to arrest me for calling a black man a friend of the family?
[...]
You can talk, you can talk, you're brave now motherfucker. Throw his rear end out. He's a friend of the family! He's a friend of the family! He's a friend of the family! A friend of the family, look, there's a friend of the family! Oooo! Ooo... All right, ya see? It shocks you, it shocks you, to see what's buried beneath, you stupid mother fuckers!

Who among us hasn’t said something like this when we got up on the wrong side of the bed, am I right?