Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Razzled posted:

"What makes a strong female protagonist?"
i believe there's a webcomic that answers this question quite powerfully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

Who are the Shakespeares of other languages? That is, a writer who had a profound effect on the very language itself and whose works are still read, discussed, and performed (in the case of playwrites) today?

Henrik Ibsen, Ivar Aasen

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started reading a collection of Edgar Allan Poe stories. Boy, those weren't all winners, were they? This dude killed another guy, so the dead guy turned in to an evil horse, and the killer was forced to ride an evil horse every day even though he didn't like it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
poe rules but there are a good few poe stories that blow rear end, like the one thats just an elaborate setup for a punchline where the narrator thinks hes seeing a monster far away but is actually just looking at a spider up close, or the one about "diddling" which was written back when "to diddle" meant "to defraud" and not "to fingerfuck", although the latter story is now extremely funny for reasons poe did not at all intend

quote:

Diddling- or the abstract idea conveyed by the verb to diddle- is sufficiently well understood. Yet the fact, the deed, the thing diddling, is somewhat difficult to define. We may get, however, at a tolerably distinct conception of the matter in hand, by defining- not the thing, diddling, in itself- but man, as an animal that diddles.

quote:

What constitutes the essence, the nare, the principle of diddling is, in fact, peculiar to the class of creatures that wear coats and pantaloons. A crow thieves; a fox cheats; a weasel outwits; a man diddles. To diddle is his destiny. "Man was made to mourn," says the poet. But not so:- he was made to diddle. This is his aim- his object- his end. And for this reason when a man's diddled we say he's "done."

Diddling, rightly considered, is a compound, of which the ingredients are minuteness, interest, perseverance, ingenuity, audacity, nonchalance, originality, impertinence, and grin.

quote:

Your diddler is guided by self-interest. He scorns to diddle for the mere sake of the diddle. He has an object in view- his pocket- and yours.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of stuff not holding up well over time! The second story in the Poe collection, after the evil horse, is about a dude who travels aboard a ghost ship. Spooky enough. There's several points in the story where the narrator describes parts of the ship that I assume a read of the time would've been like "that's hosed up, a boat shouldn't be like that" but I'm just like, oh it has a ... mizzen mast? Is that good?

But the whole thing is just leading up to the big twist, the shocking revelation that the ship is traveling towards one of the great dark passages in the South Pole that modern science now knows lead directly into The Hollow Earth!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
People in the past were so loving stupid, oh my god

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I've never been a big fan of Poe because he is one of those writers whose "legend" overshadows their actual work like Sylvia Plath and Tom Wolfe

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Guy Goodbody posted:

Speaking of stuff not holding up well over time! The second story in the Poe collection, after the evil horse, is about a dude who travels aboard a ghost ship. Spooky enough. There's several points in the story where the narrator describes parts of the ship that I assume a read of the time would've been like "that's hosed up, a boat shouldn't be like that" but I'm just like, oh it has a ... mizzen mast? Is that good?

But the whole thing is just leading up to the big twist, the shocking revelation that the ship is traveling towards one of the great dark passages in the South Pole that modern science now knows lead directly into The Hollow Earth!

My dad & some school mates wrote a hard boiled thing when they were kids, and I remember wondering what a carburateur was when I read it (Burger, the main guy, his assistant/mechanic Nick had the catchphrase "the carburateur, crap!" when he was fixing Burger's sweet ride). Seems to me like the same kind of thing as wondering what a mizzen mast is.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Guy Goodbody posted:

Imagine not knowing what a flying jib-boom or fore-topgallant staysail was, just imagine

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've never been a big fan of Poe because he is one of those writers whose "legend" overshadows their actual work like Sylvia Plath and Tom Wolfe

Why not go for the big guns there and just say Kafka

anyway, re: Poe:

https://imgur.com/gallery/lnOAS

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Imagine not knowing what a flying jib-boom or fore-topgallant staysail was, just imagine

Why not go for the big guns there and just say Kafka

anyway, re: Poe:

https://imgur.com/gallery/lnOAS

I stole that for the funny pictures thread

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Guy Goodbody posted:

I stole that for the funny pictures thread
...he said.

Al, the tool assistant, doubletook and said, "why, that's so Goodbody..."

Awkward. Nobody knows what that means, Al thought. He felt as if everybody was watching & laughing, even himself. Viewing himself through a small analogue screen. A sudden rush as he felt himself fall backwards, the distorted image of himself getting still smaller while smiling harder. The laughter was assaulting his eardrums from all sides. Small, louder, smaller, louder, until a light shone and God spake unto him: "Behold, such is that good body." The laughter grew louder and did not stop.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

that one rules dude

Guy Goodbody posted:

- forums poster Spork Turglorb of the year 2209, referring to early 21st century belief in string theory

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

the present as well

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The bell jar owns, actually

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
OK, point to Poe. The story about the teeth pervert is pretty good

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
How many fuckin stories did Poe write about some rear end in a top hat who makes the story of psychologically tormenting his wife into an early grave all about him?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I read a ludicrous amount of detective fiction from the 1800s to the 1960s and my god is reading the actual Sherlock Holmes stories rather than what we see in the movies and TV a revelation. I genuinely don’t understand why people think it’s good, it really wasn’t even that original at the time either and even Conan Doyle thought it was pulp rubbish as he was writing it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I love the later stories after he brings Sherlock back from the dead and clearly doesn't give a gently caress.

* the WWI story written to boost morale where Sherlock becomes a super patriotic spy and roams around with Watson catching evil German spies

* the one where Sherlock needs some intel so pretends to be a cobbler or something, courts a young maid for weeks, asks her to marry him, then disappears without a word once he has the information he needs. When Watson is concerned about the poor girl who just lost her fiance, Sherlock is like "Meh, she'll be fine, women like some tragedy in their love life"

* the one where Doyle wrote a play and then decided "Hey I can just publish this as a story as well and make heaps of money", so it's this weird third person narrative that all takes place in one room

* the one where an elderly man wants to be able to bang his new young wife so takes a serum that turns him into a monkey

* the one where a lady appears to be a vampire drinking her newborn child's blood, but she is actually sucking poison out from when her step-son keeps trying to murder the baby by shooting poison darts at him

* the one where Sherlock and Watson break into a guy's house and hide behind the curtains while a lady murders the guy and stomps on his face. Sherlock is like WELP WHAT COULD WE DO *wink wink* after stopping Watson from intervening, and later when Sherlock points out that it was a famous actress who murdered the guy, they decide not to say anything.

* the one where Sherlock jumps out the window of another guy whose house he had broken into, allowing the jilted mistress to throw sulfuric acid at the guy's face, completely disfiguring him. Sherlock is again like WELP WHAT COULD WE DO and intervenes to get her sentence reduced to the bare minimum

* Watson periodically getting concerned about their increasingly criminal behaviour (such as breaking into people's homes, not intervening when people get murdered/mutilated/etc) but is always reassured by Sherlock saying "No it's ok, we're the good guys"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
In 1929 Ronald Knox wrote the rules of detective fiction in his Decalogue, and those rules have stuck in British fiction ever since. You can go through them and name the Holmes story this bullshit, in the literature of the time, was spawned by.

quote:

The criminal must be mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to know.

All supernatural or preternatural agencies are ruled out as a matter of course.

Not more than one secret room or passage is allowable.

No hitherto undiscovered poisons may be used, nor any appliance which will need a long scientific explanation at the end.

No Chinaman must figure in the story.

No accident must ever help the detective, nor must he ever have an unaccountable intuition which proves to be right.

The detective himself must not commit the crime.

The detective is bound to declare any clues which he may discover.

The "sidekick" of the detective, the Watson, must not conceal from the reader any thoughts which pass through his mind: his intelligence must be slightly, but very slightly, below that of the average reader.

Twin brothers, and doubles generally, must not appear unless we have been duly prepared for them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Plenty of Golden Age detective fiction broke those rules anyway. Like that one Poirot where the murderer is revealed to have been none other than the narrator themselves all along.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wheat Loaf posted:

Plenty of Golden Age detective fiction broke those rules anyway. Like that one Poirot where the murderer is revealed to have been none other than the narrator themselves all along.

http://www.en.utexas.edu/Classes/Bremen/e316k/316kprivate/scans/chandlerart.html

edit:

I appreciate Doyle for the same reason I appreciate Hammett and Chandler: iconic characterization. Holmes and Spade work the same kind of magic: they are characters who walk onto the stage and conjure an entire era up around them.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 17, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Rex Stout is still my favourite detective novelist. He had such great characters.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

I've always wanted to track down the books he calls out towards the end of the essay: "Without him there might not have been a regional mystery as clever as Percival Wilde’s Inquest, or an ironic study as able as Raymond Postgate’s Verdict of Twelve, or a savage piece of intellectual double-talk like Kenneth Fearing’s The Dagger of the Mind, or a tragi-comic idealization of the murderer as in Donald Henderson’s Mr. Bowling Buys a Newspaper, or even a gay and intriguing Hollywoodian gambol like Richard Sale’s Lazarus No. 7."

Has anyone read any of those? I figure if Chandler liked them, they've gotta be good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Rex Stout is still my favourite detective novelist. He had such great characters.

I like Walter Mosley and John D. McDonald in the same way that I like Rex Stout -- read the books in order and you get this wonderful sense of place. Nero Wolfe never moves, but Manhattan turns and changes around him . .

Ben Nevis posted:

I've always wanted to track down the books he calls out towards the end of the essay: "Without him there might not have been a regional mystery as clever as Percival Wilde’s Inquest, or an ironic study as able as Raymond Postgate’s Verdict of Twelve, or a savage piece of intellectual double-talk like Kenneth Fearing’s The Dagger of the Mind, or a tragi-comic idealization of the murderer as in Donald Henderson’s Mr. Bowling Buys a Newspaper, or even a gay and intriguing Hollywoodian gambol like Richard Sale’s Lazarus No. 7."

Has anyone read any of those? I figure if Chandler liked them, they've gotta be good.

I haven't -- good idea though, I should track them down next. Milne's Red House Mystery is a free kindle download.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I like Walter Mosley and John D. McDonald in the same way that I like Rex Stout -- read the books in order and you get this wonderful sense of place. Nero Wolfe never moves, but Manhattan turns and changes around him . .

Stout is a long time favorite of mine, really probably the one who got me into mysteries at all. And even then it was circuitously through the A&E show. I've been reading the Mosley books slowly, so I don't run out. I may have to check out McDonald as well. I don't think I know him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
William Faulkner was apparently a big Rex Stout fan. This is amusing to me because Faulkner - just from his own writing - doesn't seem like the sort of guy you'd expect to sit and read stories about a big fat guy who solves murders in his spare time.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Sadly, I've not been too enamoured of Stout's non-Wolfe books. Admittedly, I've only read The Great Legend and The Red Threads of that group, but neither was as enjoyable. Likewise, I don't think the Goldsborough Wolfe novels I've read lived up to Stout's. It's really the combination of Stout and Wolfe, Archie, Fritz and Cramer.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Stout is very much a formula writer; you know going in that the book is almost inevitably going to end with Wolfe calling everyone into his office, explaining how the murder was done, and pointing out the murderer for Cramer to grab. But he's great at it, and he knows how to make use of his formula to heighten tension, like in cases where Wolfe is forced to break his rules.

My favorite anecdote about Stout, though, is that he deliberately avoided using real brand names in his writing because he hated the idea of giving companies free advertising. That's why Archie smokes "Marleys" and drives a "Heron."

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Jeff Bezos (personally, I assume) turned off the Also-Boughts for me on Amazon.com, leaving just the super lovely Sponsored recommendations that are utterly worthless and I am way more buttmad about this than I probably should be. Jeff, the Also-Boughts are 90% of why I use your dumb site and it's the only useful book recommendation system that you've got, you bald gently caress, turn it back on or I swear, I'll bitch on the internet about it real hard. :argh:

Oh and from Googling, it seems it's probably coming for the rest of you as well, if you don't have it already.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Megazver posted:

Jeff Bezos (personally, I assume) turned off the Also-Boughts for me on Amazon.com, leaving just the super lovely Sponsored recommendations that are utterly worthless and I am way more buttmad about this than I probably should be. Jeff, the Also-Boughts are 90% of why I use your dumb site and it's the only useful book recommendation system that you've got, you bald gently caress, turn it back on or I swear, I'll bitch on the internet about it real hard. :argh:

Oh and from Googling, it seems it's probably coming for the rest of you as well, if you don't have it already.

Oh, it's like the time Jeff Bozos decided to turn wishlists into giant scrolling pages, instead of paginated pages you can load on separate pages. Meaning that my 200+ item strong wishlist that I've been building since I was a teenager now makes chrome crash. Thanks, Jeff!

That said, to be kinda helpful, look up the book on goodreads, see what's related to it? It won't be as useful, but hell.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

That said, to be kinda helpful, look up the book on goodreads, see what's related to it? It won't be as useful, but hell.

Unfortunately, Goodreads is fairly garbage in that regard. I just hope they might turn it back on, if they're just A/B testing this usability cancer or something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh, it's like the time Jeff Bozos decided to turn wishlists into giant scrolling pages, instead of paginated pages you can load on separate pages. Meaning that my 200+ item strong wishlist that I've been building since I was a teenager now makes chrome crash. Thanks, Jeff!

At least they put the search function back in.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Any great/classic books open with a terrible starting sentence/paragraph?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

feedmyleg posted:

Any great/classic books open with a terrible starting sentence/paragraph?

that crazy long explanation of how to pronounce "Lolita"

It's not that hard of a name to pronounce!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Megazver posted:

They're at the bottom of the page now, after the reviews. At least they are for me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do you think the Narnia TV series will get to the part where the heroes do black face?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

that crazy long explanation of how to pronounce "Lolita"

It's not that hard of a name to pronounce!

It's not that it's hard, it's that he gets off on it.

Nurglings
May 6, 2016
Thoughts on people representing that they read a book, only to later admit they listened to it on audiobook? Idk why but for some reason it really irks me. Less of an investment? I can't read a book while driving to work.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nurglings posted:

Thoughts on people representing that they read a book, only to later admit they listened to it on audiobook? Idk why but for some reason it really irks me. Less of an investment? I can't read a book while driving to work.

That's the pettiest possible thing I can think of. There is no difference in the book the person consumed.

Also I'd say it's more of an investment because audiobooks are more expensive than books, and they guaranteed take more time than reading. You have to set aside time to read, sure, but it's more effective than an audiobook. Bonus problem if the book's narrator decides to do stupid voices for characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nurglings posted:

It's totally different and they haven't really 'read' the book because the act of listening completely changes how you interact with the text.