Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Meatbag Esq. posted:

This thread is full of stories of complaints against public defenders who couldn't keep their clients out of prison, you think a crazy guy won't file one against a guy who got him incarcerated?

We don't put people in jail because they're suicidal in friggin Iowa, I'm guessing Norway has a pretty well-funded mental health/civil commitment system.

I get what you're saying, but there's a qualitative difference between an idiot criminal and someone who may be sick and needed help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Pook Good Mook posted:

Also, who the hell is going to file an ethical complaint against you? Your client?

Unless it works differently in Norway, I'm having a hard time seeing your client wanting to make this last longer or be more painful than it already is.

Certainly might. Had a chat with the attending physician and they were released as a no risk so I guess all bets are off. gently caress it, it's out of my hands regardless once I get to chat with the judge to be let off the case.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
There's a good thread title lurking about "in lawyer world, letting your client die is the more ethical thing to do." Alas, I haven't put my finger on the perfect title yet.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

There's a good thread title lurking about "in lawyer world, letting your client die is the more ethical thing to do." Alas, I haven't put my finger on the perfect title yet.

Dead clients file no bar complaints.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Meatbag Esq. posted:

This thread is full of stories of complaints against public defenders who couldn't keep their clients out of prison, you think a crazy guy won't file one against a guy who got him incarcerated?

This guy isn't stuck in a cell with nothing better to do than agonize about how his lawyer didn't emphasize strongly enough that his coat was burgundy and not red

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Nonexistence posted:

Only if they’re good on their retainer.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
The obvious solution is to call the police and report yourself as suicidal. Then, when they show up, they’ll notice two suicidal people and take you both into protective custody.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Bar complaints are just allegations and there's nothing you can do to avoid having someone file a grievance against you. If you practice long enough in any area of law where you deal with the public inevitably one of your pissed off clients will file one. Whether the bar sustains the grievance is a whole other matter. Typically, the big three areas of grievances are stealing from clients, not keeping them appraised about their case, or neglecting their case. If you can avoid those and make it a habit to document your files well then you'll be fine.

I won't pretend to know how they deal with bar complaints in Norway (I would assume Holmgang) but I can't imagine any bar association on earth punching your ticket because you notified authorities in an effort to save your client's life after they told you they were going to kill themselves.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Which of you live in Austin? Going to be there around milk weekend and wondering if anyone wants to do a mini-lawgoon beer or bbq meet (I think one of you doesn't drink, but I'm also up for waiting in a bbq line for 4 hours).

Edit: I never got a bar complaint as a PD. I've been out almost 4 years now, so I can say that. I was the loving client whisper, which sounds like a brag, but it was my only real skill. My people went to jail happy with me.

nm fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 4, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Goddamn biglaw churn is insane. I've only been here a bit over a year since lateraling and half of the associates I've worked with have bailed. It seems like the hardest workers are the first to leave, too.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Sorry guys, I was being a little hyperbolic in that post :sweatdrop:. Didn't mean for it to be taken seriously.

I'll go back to being a patent nerd.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

Goddamn biglaw churn is insane. I've only been here a bit over a year since lateraling and half of the associates I've worked with have bailed. It seems like the hardest workers are the first to leave, too.

Makes sense, that's a burnout high risk environment and it's the hardest workers who are hit first. Turns out nobody's an actual robot. Apart from the Synths. You know who you are.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Sorry guys, I was being a little hyperbolic in that post :sweatdrop:. Didn't mean for it to be taken seriously.

I'll go back to being a patent nerd.

It's fine, you're not wrong but I've taken my precautions at this point so it's all good. I'm like a crusty sea captain staring down the coming storm or something.

nm posted:

Which of you live in Austin? Going to be there around milk weekend and wondering if anyone wants to do a mini-lawgoon beer or bbq meet (I think one of you doesn't drink, but I'm also up for waiting in a bbq line for 4 hours).

Edit: I never got a bar complaint as a PD. I've been out almost 4 years now, so I can say that. I was the loving client whisper, which sounds like a brag, but it was my only real skill. My people went to jail happy with me.

What is milk weekend? Sounds like my kind of deal. Also, that's hella impressive, actually. I already have had a bar complaint filed against me (posted about it in the old thread, that was also a crazy person, dismissed) and I've only really been practicing for 4 years. Then again the bar is really kinda low (no pun intended) for complaints over here, so.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
That should say.MLK (Martin Luther King) but autocorrect is racist and whitewashing that.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Lol. Fantastic.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its Harvey Milk weekend, google it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Someone at work keeps putting notes in the system that says something like "this is probably privileged" - his initials . However his name is John Edgar Williams or somesuch

What I'm saying is, hi throatwarbler you can't just assume a doc is privileged because a member of a religious group worked on it

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Welp, R.I.P. Scotus credibility.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Lindsay Graham when asked about Dr. Ford said "that's what you get when you run through a trailer park with a $100 bill" suggesting that she had been paid off to smear Kavanaugh.

Note that I have more trial experience than future Justice Kavanaugh had as a litigator prior to his federal appointment.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
But have you boofed yet

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Look Sir Droids posted:

My predictit shares are shooting through the roof , the only question is do I sell my 53 vote ones to buy more 54 vote ones

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm super tempted to * any future 5-4 decisions.

*5-4; Gorsuch sitting for Justice Garland; Circuit Judge Kavanaugh visiting.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

God I'm glad I have a canadian passport, but I'm afraid it might not be far away enough. I also have the right to live in the UK (grandfather british) but after Brexit I dunno.
Edit: fish, how many migrants can your cabin hold and hide. Asking for a friend.

nm fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 4, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Roger_Mudd posted:

I'm super tempted to * any future 5-4 decisions.

*5-4; Gorsuch sitting for Justice Garland; Circuit Judge Kavanaugh visiting.

If you’re on the liberal side of a political issue before the court, what’s to lose from making a media circus over moving for Kav to recuse and then when the decision comes down 5-4, air out that opening statement again? The principled, not political veneer of the court is going to be gone.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Look Sir Droids posted:

If you’re on the liberal side of a political issue before the court, what’s to lose from making a media circus over moving for Kav to recuse and then when the decision comes down 5-4, air out that opening statement again? The principled, not political veneer of the court is going to be gone.

The House is going to try to impeach Kavanaugh just before impeaching Trump next year and both will be annual affairs a la Obamacare repeals for the foreseeable future

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm not even sure of the point of oral argument unless Roberts becomes a swing vote.

"Nah, I rest on my brief my dudes"

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Adar posted:

The House is going to try to impeach Kavanaugh just before impeaching Trump next year and both will be annual affairs a la Obamacare repeals for the foreseeable future

They won't impeach Kavanaugh.

They'll Benghazi him.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Kalman posted:

They won't impeach Kavanaugh.

They'll Benghazi him.

Yeah, that’s the better course. For Trump too. No sense impeaching if you can’t get 67 votes even with dead to rights evidence.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yeah, that’s the better course. For Trump too. No sense impeaching if you can’t get 67 votes even with dead to rights evidence.

Make the Senate waste time and make votes on the record to attack?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Kavs won't matter when all the decisions are 7-2 after Trump replaces ginsburg and breyer

Actually they'll be 6-2-1 with weird Thomas dissents that get ignored

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Roger_Mudd posted:

“That’s not how I voted. Fake news liberal media at it again.”

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yeah, I'd expect certain groups to do this as a routine matter.

"Motion for recusal." Argument: plaintiff is a Democrat.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Roger_Mudd posted:

Creates votes for your members in redder states as well, and gives an easy attack on House members for wasting time.

Holding hearings, on the other hand, get localized to the committee leaders (probably Nadler, who's completely safe), allow you to trickle out new allegations over time, and also stand a much better chance of actually successfully harming Kavanaugh.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

God I'm glad I have a canadian passport, but I'm afraid it might not be far away enough. I also have the right to live in the UK (grandfather british) but after Brexit I dunno.
Edit: fish, how many migrants can your cabin hold and hide. Asking for a friend.

Cabin sleeps four comfortably, eight uncomfortably depending on which way you swing.

The absolute max amount I can reasonably find refuge for in a pinch would probably be about twenty, give or take? If it has to be more or less long term.

mastershakeman posted:

Kavs won't matter when all the decisions are 7-2 after Trump replaces ginsburg and breyer

Don't. I'm trying to remain wilfully ignorant about your situation.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

Cabin sleeps four comfortably, eight uncomfortably depending on which way you swing.

The absolute max amount I can reasonably find refuge for in a pinch would probably be about twenty, give or take? If it has to be more or less long term.

Don't. I'm trying to remain wilfully ignorant about your situation.

Time to start planning the great exodus of law goons to the cabin.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Eminent Domain posted:

Time to start planning the great exodus of law goons to the cabin.

I mean sure, but I was referring to like, I can put a few in an apartment in the city, probably ten or so in the summerhouse, eight at the most up at the cabin, so you're gonna have to be willing to have a rotation I think. Who likes crab fishing and northern lights? I posted about the summer house in my DIY thread:

Nice piece of fish posted:

Now that's a nice plan. Totally doable. If you're looking for something along the lines of a summer house (despite the name, they are usually used all year round) I can vouch for it being a good alternative. My folks have a place out on an island in the north sea, an old fishing village that's basically deserted. I've spent a lot of summers there fishing out where the open ocean meets the continental shelf, and the fishing is unbelievable. We also catch crab and lobster. It's basically what you're describing I think, only sea-adjacent and nautical and all. There's even a lighthouse!

(note, not my pictures)

The trick was that getting the place mostly required knowledge and research, the place itself wasn't expensive at all due to the place slowly getting deserted (fishermen don't live in villages way out in the ocean anymore). So if you do your research, I'll bet you'll be able to grab some land or maybe something old and renovation-y for an absolute steal. I wish you the best of luck regardless. Post about it when it happens.

So you're gonna have to learn to share.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Roger_Mudd posted:

I'm not even sure of the point of oral argument unless Roberts becomes a swing vote.

"Nah, I rest on my brief my dudes"
What!??
Now that spades have been broken on making faces, throwing tantrums, uttering threats and lying your rear end off, oral argument would be a freaking blast.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Oral arguments should be full on WWE events with open disrespect. If Kav won’t recuse, you can always just dunk on him. “Oh, I see you laughing, Justice Thomas. I’ll get to you next.”

Also I want to crab fish. I like crab.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Kavs and Thomas are gonna be total bros though.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

nm posted:

Kavs and Thomas are gonna be total bros though.

The sex creep bloc.