Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Scalding hottakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Price gouging will be getting exposed and relatively pro-customer companies like evga get to build lots of goodwill by announcing that they wont raise prices on already imported goods. A perfect reason for people to panic buy that old inventory at retail price.

Its going to get worse before it gets better. Its not affecting me much considering im already not planning on upgrading my GPU for a year or 2. There is no compelling reason to switch off a 1080ti at 1440p

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 2, 2018

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Fauxtool posted:

Its going to get worse before it gets better. Its not affecting me much considering im already not planning on upgrading my GPU for a year or 2. There is no compelling reason to switch off a 1080ti at 1440p

Same. There is nearly zero reason to switch at 1440 at the moment. Given these prices -and assuming a return to “normal” release schedules- I’m considering holding out for two generations. Guess it depends on how well the 1080Ti holds its value I suppose.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've been gaming at 4k for the last 2+ years now and use a 49" Quantum dot TV as a monitor. Turns out at about 4-5 feet back I get massive motion sickness.. now I try and stay at or around 60fps. Still, it's just too expansive in my vision. Feels like sitting in the back seat of a car reading a book. I can only game for about 30 minutes before almost barfing. ;_;

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I justified buying an 2080 because I got Dell u3818 (38" ultrawide 3840x1600) for under $500 CAD. Gaming on it is something else, but I'm waiting for the 9900k to drop so right now im gaming on a stock 10 year old i7 920.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Perplx posted:

I justified buying an 2080 because I got Dell u3818 (38" ultrawide 3840x1600) for under $500 CAD. Gaming on it is something else, but I'm waiting for the 9900k to drop so right now im gaming on a stock 10 year old i7 920.

Man that cpu is poo poo. It is complete utter poo poo even with a gpu 1/3-1/4 as fast as a 2080. You won't believe the difference when you get a new cpu.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
im so annoyed i havent gotten my pre order lol

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That and the mobo is likely hobbling performance with PCIe 1.1 (not exactly sure).

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

ihemenis is about to have his mind blown open

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

redeyes posted:

That and the mobo is likely hobbling performance with PCIe 1.1 (not exactly sure).

Any X58 motherboard should have PCIe 2.0, so the card shouldn’t be that limited if it’s in an x16 slot.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
So what's the deal with riser cables? Are any good? I'm going to water cool and vertical mount. I got q cable from linkup.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Aeka 2.0 posted:

So what's the deal with riser cables? Are any good? I'm going to water cool and vertical mount. I got q cable from linkup.

Linus did a video where they put like 10 PCIe extensions together and didn't have any issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5xvwPa3r7M

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Haha, of course they did. Thanks!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Perplx posted:

I justified buying an 2080 because I got Dell u3818 (38" ultrawide 3840x1600) for under $500 CAD.
What, how?!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Haha, of course they did. Thanks!

They are a well known point of failure but when they work they generally work just fine. I'd be wary of dirt cheap ones is all. I've used a cheap one (didnt work), a Thermatake one (worked), in conjunction with 90* PCIe adapters.

The "best" ones cost a lot made by 3M but I'm not sure they are worth having or not

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Man that cpu is poo poo. It is complete utter poo poo even with a gpu 1/3-1/4 as fast as a 2080. You won't believe the difference when you get a new cpu.

Overclocked to 4.2Ghz (you are Overclocked right?) at least it shouldn't be complete poo poo should it? The biggest thing I think he would be missing out on is SATA 6G and USB 3.0 though lol.

A new rig will be a very nice upgrade though that is for sure.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Wacky Delly posted:

Linus did a video where they put like 10 PCIe extensions together and didn't have any issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5xvwPa3r7M

He is clearly using the expensive 3M twinaxial risers in that video, which are like $100 each if you're not buying in bulk. If you're using run of the mill PCI risers, even more than a couple inches extension will generate so much cross-talk that you won't be able to run stable at PCI Gen 3 and will have to drop down to Gen 2 in Bios.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Internal company auction of bad box items and returns, I was the only bid so I got the starting price of $420 CAD plus tax. There are also 4k oleds on there but those gets lots of bids but they still sell for half retail.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Zero VGS posted:

He is clearly using the expensive 3M twinaxial risers in that video, which are like $100 each if you're not buying in bulk. If you're using run of the mill PCI risers, even more than a couple inches extension will generate so much cross-talk that you won't be able to run stable at PCI Gen 3 and will have to drop down to Gen 2 in Bios.

I'll do a benchmark then. Mine was only 30 dollars.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Are 7nm gpus going to be coming out around ryzen2 or is Nvidia just going to sit on the newer cards to get rid of inventory

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
A stock 920 is slow by modern standards, but a overclocked one is very competitive, stock speed is 2.6GHz, overclocked they'll do 4GHz, I've even seen them break 4.5GHz for the best ones. IPC against a Skylake isn't great, but CPU demands have stagnated so much overclocking a 920 should easily last you until the 9700k comes out.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
BTW, rumor now is that preorders go live on the 8th and review embargo lifts/hardware ships on the 19th. So just hang on literally three more weeks.

(so now Intel is doing the preorder-before-reviews thing too, thanks again AMD for letting that camel's nose into the tent. At least in this case you know 100% what you're getting in advance, but this loving sucks in general)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'll do a benchmark then. Mine was only 30 dollars.

Feel free, I did one myself with a 6-inch li-heat riser as well as a generic bitcoin riser, the bitcoin wouldn't boot without taking it down to Gen 2, the li-heat would work fine until actually running a benchmark, and then the display would stay blanked out until I rebooted, going down to Gen 2 fixed that as well.

Edit: I should also mention I'm using a riser right now with no issues, but it is a flexible silicon board (made for the Skyreach case) and is only about an inch long.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

Those are Thermaltake $30 risers

edit: I looked closer and he's using the longer versions which cost twice as much but the shorter ones like below are the more common ones

https://www.frys.com/product/922191...kUaAs2cEALw_wcB

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 2, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Zero VGS posted:

a generic bitcoin riser

uh

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
They made that weird 15 slot board that requires risers to use all the slots. Bitcoins hit the bus very lightly so even 1X slots don't hurt bitcoin performance.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Raytracing starting to roll out https://twitter.com/DirectX12/status/1047229744305991680

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Those are ThermalTake riser cables and they make 600mm version, but they are still expensive. Only $70 for 600mm, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812183021 There are 200mm for like $30 though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i wanna try it but imma wait until Glass8 is updated for the new win version number cause im dumb

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

i wanna try it but imma wait until Glass8 is updated for the new win version number cause im dumb

No games have released their DXR patches yet so you're not missing out on much. Just some basic SDK samples.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

When altcoin GPU mining took off the first time (dogecoins era poo poo), a lot of Chinese factories started cranking out cheap risers on eBay. Now there's thousands and thousands in surplus and they're dirt cheap, even if shipped from the USA:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-Express-16-x-Riser-Cable-with-Latch/262348377071

I snagged a couple when I was experimenting with different case form factors. They have the worst crosstalk of all the different riser variations, though the short ones can work in a pinch if you're on a budget or don't mind lowering the PCI spec (for 1080p it's not a big deal).

SlayVus posted:

Those are ThermalTake riser cables and they make 600mm version, but they are still expensive. Only $70 for 600mm, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812183021 There are 200mm for like $30 though.

Oh, I guess that's a newer development since I was experimenting a few years back. It seems like it is using twinaxial technology as well. It doesn't specifically state twinaxial, but this unbranded version has the cables bundled and clamped in the same way and does specify twinaxial: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABMK6TG7238&cm_re=PCI-E_x16_3.0_Riser_Cable-_-9SIABMK6TG7238-_-Product

Edit: However, the 200mm version isn't twinaxial, it is an older model that is a normal shielded cable and probably more comparable to li-heat. Their cheapest twinaxial is 300mm at $56, not too bad: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812183022

Here's a cool nerd comparison of the different risers:

https://videocardz.com/review/pci-express-riser-extender-test/2

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 3, 2018

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Haven't benched my cable yet.

I got an NZXT cooler and a G12 adapter for my 2080ti. I got it to fit and function except I ran into an odd cosmetic fitment problem. I couldn't orient the pump with the logo level. For some reason the twist lock wouldnt twist and lock in the position I wanted it in. I didn't see any obstruction so I was as bit confused. Anyone run into this?

Also the Cam app for android is broke as all gently caress.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I had a 3,5GHz i7 920 and upgraded to 4,8GHz 8700k last year. Games run so much better. So, so much better. 920 is just very slow no matter how much you OC it. 2GHz faster memory helps also.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

I had a 3,5GHz i7 920 and upgraded to 4,8GHz 8700k last year. Games run so much better. So, so much better. 920 is just very slow no matter how much you OC it. 2GHz faster memory helps also.

I'm really curious if my 2080ti ever comes in whether my i7 4790k OC to 4.6GHz will be throttling it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Looks like anybody who preordered from Nvidia should be getting a shipment notification soon. Within the last hour there are lots of reports of labels being created for a Friday arrival (Fedex 2-day air). However I have not received anything yet

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I'm really curious if my 2080ti ever comes in whether my i7 4790k OC to 4.6GHz will be throttling it.

That's a good question, are there any review sites out there that test where the bottlenecks are at different resolutions?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I am kind of curious on this as well. Is there a bottleneck for 1080 ti with 4790k at 1440p or 4k?

I know for sure that at 1080p theres a significant bottleneck but even 1440 feels like theres a slight “bottleneck”. If there is a bottleneck on the 1080ti at those resolutions (1440 or 4k). The 2080ti would be even worse. Probably the last gpu gen for the 4790k.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 3, 2018

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Anybody have a clue when RTX graphic cards 20XX will come out for laptops?

I'm itching for an upgrade and looking to build a setup with a laptop + 20XX that drives a 1440p monitor at home and is portable.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

VelociBacon posted:

:same: except i don't OC because i'm a sissy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Green Gloves posted:

I am kind of curious on this as well. Is there a bottleneck for 1080 ti with 4790k at 1440p or 4k?

I’m phone postin’ but I think GN did a video comparing all the previous generations of Intel CPUs that should help.

e: aw, apparently its all at 1080p with a regular GTX 1080. but if the difference isnt big at 1080p with a 1080, its only gonna get smaller at 4k.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2773-intel-i5-2500k-revisit-benchmark-for-2017/page-3

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 3, 2018