Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I've said it before, but HxH is basically Togashi's Shawl, which he'll knit eternally until Jump decides to grant him his sweet release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Alright, the Chimera Ant arc ended on a fairly solid note. Sounds like it'd be better on a reread knowing the threads to look for while dodging some of the pacing issues. I'm just glad Ging is finally a character.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I came in very late as well and I cannot imagine reading Chimera Ant as it was being published with the constant hiatuses. Every other arc, sure, but especially the first bits of CA? Nah.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i gave up on hxh for a few years because of that poo poo

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

voltcatfish posted:

I came in very late as well and I cannot imagine reading Chimera Ant as it was being published with the constant hiatuses. Every other arc, sure, but especially the first bits of CA? Nah.

For a while it wasn't' even just hiatuses. The art took a huuuuge hit too, which they later did re-releases for to fix it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Yeah I started HxH the day 2011 started airing and by the time it got to Chimera Ant I was pretty well convinced of Togashi's ability to weave a compelling narrative so any time it went into the motivations and backstory of these third string ant soldiers I was eating that poo poo up.

I love the Chimera Ant arc but now being part of the Hiatus x Hiatus crew during the boat era I can see how some aspects of that arc's pacing and storytelling would get under some people's skin when broken up by months long hiatuses.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

imagine the boat hiatuses except as drawn by a 4 year old and you're close to the chimera ant arc

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
no hiatus has or will punch me in the stomach like when togashi hiatus'd right when meruem and netero were about to fight

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

drjuggalo posted:

no hiatus has or will punch me in the stomach like when togashi hiatus'd right when meruem and netero were about to fight

Oh drat, that's a gut punch right there. Glad I didn't have to experience that. I'm grateful for experiencing him coming back from a hiatus with the Hisoka vs. Chrollo fight though.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

IT WAS A YEAR LONG HIATUS

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, and re: hatsu chat, Benjamin and Halk seem to have hatsus that sorta play off one another.

Both require the death of a follower to work, but whereas (as far as I can tell so far) Halk has to actively use his abilities knowing that he's killing his men, Benjamin's is more like an insurance policy that takes effect when his men die.

Both require specific conditions for a follower to be included in their powers. Just serving the Princes isn't enough; Benjamin's men have to graduate from Kakin's military school, pledge their loyalty to him, and serve directly under him. Luckily, he's the oldest prince and in charge of the military, and charismatic to boot, so the conditions aren't that difficult, but it is very time consuming. Meanwhile Halk's nen beast (which I assume powers his hatsu) also requires loyalty and unity among Halk and his men, which is probably faster to pull off than Benjamin's, but it has a far more dangerous blowback in the case that something goes wrong.

Also, since Halk's ability seems to transfer the loyalty of the deceased follower on his target, I wonder if it can negate Benjamin's power when applied on Benjamin's soldiers, since the required loyalty factor no longer applies.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the new chapter is something

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Well Togashi pretty much poked me square in the eyes there. Christ.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ka-chin... :cry:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

gently caress!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Artelier posted:

IT WAS A YEAR LONG HIATUS

During the CA arc hunter hunter was the kind of Manga I would forget about until a new chapter would appear on the oneManga front page. Those were weird times when a board game took a year to finish or something like that.

tbp posted:

the new chapter is something

My heart was in my throat the whole time. drat that was a great chapter

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow, that ending. That's not the worst thing that could have happened but in a way it's even sadder.

RIP Kacho. That's just, wow. It definitely fits her whole arc and stuff up to now, but I wasn't expecting that. That ability in particular, given how much the beasts are shaped by their masters and their desires, says a lot in three sentences and as many panels. That's just tragic.

I see what that editor (or was it Togashi himself?) meant about these chapters.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
gently caress dude, that was rough

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So it seems physical escape isn't possible then.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I wonder if hunters/nen users will be able to determine if Kacho's clone is a nen beast and if the Fugetsu will find out. I wonder if non nen users can even see the Kacho clone.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

frajaq posted:

gently caress!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I.... Im sad but this is a death game, Im tryin my darnedest not to get attached to any of the Princes. Is this gonna seriously gently caress with whatever Nasubis plan is? Kachos corpse is going to be irrecoverable unless what happened is found out immediately

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Kachos corpse is going to be irrecoverable unless what happened is found out immediately
Life boats have beacons for location and rescue, ususally automatically activated after being launched. and if this barrier preventing princes from exiting has some clause to inform the referee (nasubi) that someone has exited the arena he can just dispatch a boat to recover the body

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If the ritual can just kill anyone who gets too far away, it presumably has some means to ensure the recovery of their remains if those are necessary to it.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Yea, that makes sense, I just like it when a decades long plan goes off the rails because of an overlooked detail

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The ritual is presumably old as gently caress. And now we know its also powerful enough to know when a prince will leave and kill them for their impudence.
Its not going to get derailed. All but one prince will die.

Poor Keeni :smith:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
yo what the gently caress

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Whooping Crabs posted:

I wonder if hunters/nen users will be able to determine if Kacho's clone is a nen beast and if the Fugetsu will find out. I wonder if non nen users can even see the Kacho clone.

I'd say it's possible to see if the clone is made of Nen depending on how it flows off from them. Almost everyone is gonna keep their mouths shut about it, of course, until the end.

Also note: It's been more than 48 hours, so Predator is ready to go again.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

well that was depressing

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

hows she see the nen beast if you're not suppose to see nen beasts as a prince

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Do you think Tyson was making heart eyes at her personal servants doing acapella or the hunters doing rock music

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kild posted:

it's like Stands that inhabit physical objects in JoJo's-- you can't see them unless that's part of what's important about the ability

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Meme Emulator posted:

Do you think Tyson was making heart eyes at her personal servants doing acapella or the hunters doing rock music

Yes. Tyson has enough heart eyes for all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kild posted:

its sole ability is to take the form of a specific human. that's a pretty big limitation, which would in turn power a pretty big effect.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Cool rap battle this chapter. I wonder who won.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
i'm sad now :(

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meme Emulator posted:

The Hunters were the ones she hired, and she asked/forced them to put the show on, so I'd say it's both.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm admittedly eager to see what the clone is capable of in terms of defense, since one of it's two purposes is to protect. Predator can probably deal with it, but since it's intended to stay around until the other person passes away I wonder how durable it is. Especially given the effect death has on Nen, which I assume is in play here as well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's only one predator and it takes time to work. i don't think the girl with a harmless teleportation nen beast is going to be a priority for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

wheres da link wtf