Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tusk was a good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fruit on the bottom posted:

Define “contributing to society”.

I'm actually a bit reminded of how Richard Burton used to argue that there was no contradiction in him being both a communist and a multi-millionaire who enjoyed a life of luxury because he never exploited anyone to make his money. I don't know if that's a fair argument or not, but there you go. :shrug:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
“Sorry Kyanka, we’ve determined that your forums are not a meaningful art form.”

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mu Zeta posted:

Sports should be recreational hobbies and not professional. You shouldn't get paid for running really fast.

Same but video games

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

You should be paid for contributing to society with things like engineering or art. Sports is useless.

Science should go back to being a hobby people pursue in their leisure. I don't want my tax dollars going to build a planetarium where Neil de Grasse Tyson can post about how the orbit of venus proves that Short Circuit is not realistic.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CrRoMa posted:

All athletes should have to earn their money through patreon

and have a private lewds account

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Just nationalize sports and put them on the standard government payscale. That way the billions in revenue they generate can be funneled into things I am sure the government would use to help people and improve our infrastructure etc instead of letting a handful of players buy ugly huge mansions and 50 ferraris.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Mu Zeta posted:

Sports should be recreational hobbies and not professional. You shouldn't get paid for running really fast.

Actually sport is one of the few industries that provides a way to lift people out of poverty. It's only for a very few but it's better than nothing. It is good that people get paid to do sport

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Just nationalize sports and put them on the standard government payscale. That way the billions in revenue they generate can be funneled into things I am sure the government would use to help people and improve our infrastructure etc instead of letting a handful of players buy ugly huge mansions and 50 ferraris.

How do you stop anyone from starting a for-profit league and stealing your players by offering them more money though? Do you ban all organised sports other than government-sanctioned competitions? What if people want to play or watch something that's not an officially recognised sport? Like if they change the rules slightly so it's not the official version of the game?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

How do you stop anyone from starting a for-profit league and stealing your players by offering them more money though? Do you ban all organised sports other than government-sanctioned competitions? What if people want to play or watch something that's not an officially recognised sport? Like if they change the rules slightly so it's not the official version of the game?

The part where the government helps people is the part that shows he's being facetious.

*dies tragically of easily-treatable illness*

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:32 on Oct 1, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Do you ban all organised sports other than government-sanctioned competitions?

If you want it to work, yes. Make any other league that tries to do it on their own non-viable with incredibly high tax rates on any money the players/owners make. Or drone strikes, whichever is found to be more effective.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The part where the government helps people is the part that shows he's being facetious.

maybe they would if we just gave them the chance, edgar allen ho

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I suppose the obstacle would be that the best players would be lured away to rival leagues or franchises in other countries which don't have the same laws and where they can be offered more money. Hypothetically, if you want your idea to work, perhaps you could just ban employees from quitting their jobs? I'm not sure if that would be popular or not.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I suppose the obstacle would be that the best players would be lured away to rival leagues or franchises in other countries which don't have the same laws and where they can be offered more money. Hypothetically, if you want your idea to work, perhaps you could just ban employees from quitting their jobs? I'm not sure if that would be popular or not.

Maybe institute a sports draft where as soon as you turn 18 any team can select you and you have to serve a mandatory term of 5-10 years with that team. This might cause obesity rates to skyrocket though because of draft dodgers.

I'm starting to think this idea might be kind of stupid.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dumb, but only because pro-tier athlete potentials are pretty uncommon. The NFL draft would only target elites.

For example at present I merit a voluntary NFL draft but somehow none of the teams want me.

I think the fats would remain fat.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It worked for mark wahlberg

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everything should be spooky in October. Only horror movies or horror-themed art should be produced or consumed this month. Anything that can have a spooky pun, should. Anyone who buys regular Oreos instead of the Halloween Oreos with orange filling should be shunned.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Yeah green tomato sauce for all this October

Although really the red stuff has more horror potential

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Salsa verde and salsa Roja are both great.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Tusk was a good movie.

Whenever I google it comes up first and I have to scroll down to click

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoFLU0zKXTA

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Death panels sound amazing. I would love to decide which panels live and die.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hot, steaming diarrhea poo poo take, fresh from my hairy pimply rear end: I've never seen an attractive cis lesbian. All the hot lesbians are trans. Cis lesbians just aren't hot enough for me and my divine sisters. We are tall powerful amazons. Y'all short chubby little hobbit bitches. Cis men jerk off to you but what do those peebrains know?

Nope, cis lesbians. *crosses arms* Would not bang.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't enjoy disliking popular things. I wish I could enjoy Star Wars and Harry Potter, I wish I could ignore how garbage poo poo they are. I just watched the original Halloween for a thread in CineD, and I really didn't like it. I had to go into a thread full of people who loved Halloween and say that actually I thought it was bad and not scary. I felt like a complete rear end.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't enjoy disliking popular things. I wish I could enjoy Star Wars and Harry Potter, I wish I could ignore how garbage poo poo they are. I just watched the original Halloween for a thread in CineD, and I really didn't like it. I had to go into a thread full of people who loved Halloween and say that actually I thought it was bad and not scary. I felt like a complete rear end.

Halloween is super dated and it's totally reasonable to not be scared by it (or any movie. what scares you is super personal! Probably even more than what makes you laugh). But it has some really effective sequences and is definitely highly regarded for a good reason.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Henchman of Santa posted:

Halloween is super dated and it's totally reasonable to not be scared by it (or any movie. what scares you is super personal! Probably even more than what makes you laugh). But it has some really effective sequences and is definitely highly regarded for a good reason.

I also watched the first Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street movies, and liked them a lot. Even if they weren't really scary.

But Michael Myers is just so lame as a villain, and the whole movie is building him up. Also the dialogue is terrible.

There are really good tracking shots of people walking around the suburbs, that's undeniable. I'm not being sarcastic, those parts are really good.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, most old horror movies(mainstream ones atleast) don't hold up very well with the spookies. There's so much crazy poo poo being released that most general audiences are desensitized to everything except jump scares and then only equate a scary movie to how many jump scares are in it.

On topic: I don't like the Conjuring series of movies and all the spin offs it created! Goosebumps the t.v series was the last good thing to happen to horror!

ShortyMR.CAT has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Oct 3, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I also watched the first Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street movies, and liked them a lot. Even if they weren't really scary.

Nightmare is loving insane for 1984. It's a bit too silly for me to be scared by (and I'm a huge wimp) but it's extremely cool and inventive.

Big time horror nerds tell me Texas Chainsaw Massacre scares the poo poo out of them. I think it's campy fun. Meanwhile I couldn't walk alone for a month after watching It Follows but they view at as a fun monster movie.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I mean, most old horror movies(mainstream ones atleast) don't hold up very well with the spookies. There's so much crazy poo poo being released that most general audiences are desensitized to everything except jump scares and then only equate scary a movie to how many jump scares are in it.

On topic: I don't like the Conjuring series of movies and all the spin offs it created! Goosebumps the t.v series was the last good thing to happen to horror!

I'm not a huge conjuring fan, partially because they just aren't that scary but more because they legitimize the Warrens in the minds of a lot of people. It's like a public image rehabilitation project they are paying for the way the movies suck them off.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
You telling me they didn't battle real ghost!?!? :thunk:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Real vintage raggedy ann dolls are scarier than the dumb corpse doll from the movies.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

You telling me they didn't battle real ghost!?!? :thunk:

i have more than one relative who when talking about the conjuring describe it as a "based on a true story" and talk about all the ghost and possession stuff like it actually happened.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I've grown from hating horror movies altogether to wanting to get into the nerdom of analyzing old slasher movies for the interesting things they did as movies, and that's mainly because I stopped being scared by them at all. I still can't stand movies that are actually scary to me, especially not through a lot of jump scares.

Unpopular opinion: the level of violence in Verhoeven and Tarantino's really well regarded movies is way too much and actively hurts their case in terms of being important works of art to me.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
^^^ Totally agree about overused violence. I'm not really bothered by violence anyway; it's gore I can do without. With a few exceptions, I think gore is heavily overused in horror films. It's one of the reasons why I don't care for slasher flicks. That, and it truly scares me when the monsters are human. Monsters, ghosts, demons, all that poo poo is great. Psychos, slashers, and just evil people can gently caress right off. And the cherry on that fear cake is the movie that haunted me the most, and I have refused to ever watch again... Children of the Corn. I HATE EVIL KIDS!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

There is nothing more offensive to me television-wise than those TLC reality shows where it's just "here's someone that pumped themselves up with fertility drugs, watch them scar their 6-12 children for life". They shouldn't be allowed. They are basically circus sideshow exhibits but televised.

Give me 50 mindless big brother clones over that poo poo, at least those people just embarrass themselves instead of raising even more generations of super hosed up kids that can't function later in life if a camera isn't following their every move.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lincoln was far more gracious to the defeated than he had any right to be, and was rewarded with a bullet to the back of his head.

The american south sucks.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Sherman Was Right (About The South)

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

There is nothing more offensive to me television-wise than those TLC reality shows where it's just "here's someone that pumped themselves up with fertility drugs, watch them scar their 6-12 children for life". They shouldn't be allowed. They are basically circus sideshow exhibits but televised.

Give me 50 mindless big brother clones over that poo poo, at least those people just embarrass themselves instead of raising even more generations of super hosed up kids that can't function later in life if a camera isn't following their every move.

I live less than 5 miles from the Duggars and have run into them in the wild fairly often. And you are absolutely right, they are the loving worst. They also pump millions into local politics to push conservative agendas, which means they are a threat to everyone not just they're children.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

My uncle met the duggars at some park while he was on a road trip and said the kids were annoying and they had crazy eyes

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Aren't the duggars whole hog quiverful people? That stuff always makes me cringe since i grew up around evangelicals. I can't help but wonder what insane beliefs they're hiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Edit: nevermind, not worth getting into.

Blue Star has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Oct 4, 2018