Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We have sight words too. We just practice them by having him tell us when he sees one somewhere.(When we read or on a sign r something) He gets pretty excited when he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I have heard that same bs and when I ask if they also paid $2100 a month like I currently do for 2 kids everyone always answers no.

These are some insane numbers, cost more to put kids in daycare than I actually take home after tax.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Gravitee posted:

It could also be that these people get their kids into expensive activities like hockey, dance, or travel sports. That poo poo gets expensive.

This. My kid is not at that age, but I am speaking as a kid who started piano lessons very early and continued all the way through high school. It starts off cheap but it got to $60 per one hour lesson pretty quickly, plus add in fees for competitions and exams, etc. Depending on where you are, tutoring may/may not be a thing as well and that is also expensive. Two of my friends made so much money tutoring high school that when they graduated they never bothered to do anything else and just started full time tutoring businesses.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

His Divine Shadow posted:

These are some insane numbers, cost more to put kids in daycare than I actually take home after tax.

Ha, in the bay area that is the cost for one kid. :bang:

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I had never heard of sight words before so I googled it.

Is that how people learn to read in the US? Didn't know this was a thing

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KingColliwog posted:

I had never heard of sight words before so I googled it.

Is that how people learn to read in the US? Didn't know this was a thing

It's a lowest common denominator form of learning to read. Odd considering they went the other direction on math and are actively avoiding pure memorization there.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Kitiara posted:

We were asked the same in Kindy and I went with "lol no" at first too.

However, the school broke it down into sets of 10 words and assigned them colors (red, blue, purple, etc) and my daughter felt like crap when she noticed other kids were into their green words and she was still in red or whatever. So we had to practice them with her every day for months. On the other hand, it made her be the one keen to do the learning and it was pretty adorable watching her reach a new set of words.

We're back to no homework in 1st grade too. I can't tell if it's because we changed schools or if this is common for year 1, but it's nice. She seems to be doing even better without them.
I think we had a bit of a weird situation where my oldest has crazy memory, so anything that was doable using only rote memorization was something that we didn't think was too valuable for her.

Also, apparently she was able to just sound out the worst better than most of the kids did with sight words, so we didn't have any sort of self esteem issue like you described. Sounds like you made the right call.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I'm here to sing the praises of the Snuggin which is like a lovey crossed with a keychain

My wife's coworker suggested it when we were looking for a way to teach our 6mo how to reinsert a binky in the middle of the night. i didn't expect it to actually work, and the thing looks like a lovecraftian nipple monster if you use all four legs, but gently caress me, the little dude loves it and consistently is able to snuggle up to it and find one of the binkies

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

WarpDogs posted:

I'm here to sing the praises of the Snuggin which is like a lovey crossed with a keychain

My wife's coworker suggested it when we were looking for a way to teach our 6mo how to reinsert a binky in the middle of the night. i didn't expect it to actually work, and the thing looks like a lovecraftian nipple monster if you use all four legs, but gently caress me, the little dude loves it and consistently is able to snuggle up to it and find one of the binkies

Seconding this, bought the sleepy tot comforter (same function) during leap 5 when I was at the end of my chain and taught her how to use it during a couple of play sessions, now it’s her go to.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Douche4Sale posted:

Ha, in the bay area that is the cost for one kid. :bang:

Yeah I’m just sitting here laughing (crying) at the numbers people in this thread are throwing out for daycare

Gotta love the cost of living here

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
A lot of these numbers are for dual income families. Young urban professionals. Church daycares are cheaper, and family is even cheaper than that.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah 9-2 is super helpful. Gotta love those church daycare hours. My school district has a preschool program for staff only that starts at 3 years old. Full time care for $400 a month and 6 students with 2 teachers. It's going to be a decent raise when I can get my son in next year.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

THe community college I teach at has an early childhood development program. In fact, a lot of the daycare teachers I meet went to that program. Do they have on-site daycare? Of course not. :argh:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

sullat posted:

A lot of these numbers are for dual income families. Young urban professionals. Church daycares are cheaper, and family is even cheaper than that.

We're a dual income family with kids, but we don't get these fantasy paychecks, our daycare for both kids is around 200-300€ for fulltime daycare (7:15-16:30) The cost varies since it's calculated on our income, though the upper limit is somewhere around 400€ per month for two kids.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012
My husband and I are both federal employees who work at a shift job. The on-campus daycare doesn’t open until half an hour after the day shift starts, and there is no daycare for night shift.

It also costs $500 per week for children under two. Even though we are very well paid, my husband would be working full time for $400/month.

Right now, our baby is only eight months old and my mother watches him for free while we both work nights (the pay differential adds up to about $4k a year, so to add insult to injury we’d take a pay cut in the first place just to get to a shift where we could take advantage of the day care). I’m working my way up the career ladder but my husband is planning to leave federal service entirely and stay at home with the baby in a few months.

When we tell people about that plan, they say “oh, but you’ll only have 1 income!” No one considers how much of the second income would be spent on day care. And that’s before people start asking me about why -I- don’t want to stay home and won’t my husband feel unfulfilled and a thousand other socially acceptable misogynist criticisms framed as concerns.

TL, DR: Day care costs are a symptom of the sickness of capitalism and as always burning it all to the ground is the best and only answer

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Levitate posted:

Yeah I’m just sitting here laughing (crying) at the numbers people in this thread are throwing out for daycare

Gotta love the cost of living here

Day care here (Australia) is $125/day per child. Up until recently the government “only” offered a rebate of 50% of the costs but to $7,500/year per child. We do have a very high minimum wage ($20ish/hr), which affects the cost but still absolutely insane.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Daycare around here is between 9 and 20$ a day after th gov refund depending on how much you earn which makes it around 10-12$ a day for us. Pretty happy with that since one of us would need to stop working if we paid real price for 3 kids

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The sad part is the people actually taking care of the kids make poo poo wages too.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Alterian posted:

The sad part is the people actually taking care of the kids make poo poo wages too.

Yep. The owner of my son's day care drove two different high-end Mercedes. The teachers either had family members drop them off and pick them up, or drove total beaters. I think one of their cars was leaking fuel, it constantly smelled like gas. Welp now I'm depressed.

Oh, I guess I'll throw in my $$. Day care was $1000/mo, and we had to ask them to lower the price for us, it's normally around $1200. He started public pre-school this year, and it's amazing. It's a dual language school, and since his pre-school was Spanish immersion, he actually tested as a Spanish speaking student. Which means his tuition is free. Fuckin' A, kiddo.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I pay $720\mo for my 2 yr old. Yay for the south for once? :shrug: Not church or family or anything. It's just the one down the street we like.

Kind of a parenting thing. I watched the Mr. Rogers documentary last night. He talked about how he wasn't allowed to show he felt mad when he was a child and it did a number on me. My son's got my temper. It sucks. I'm still working to control it at 40. After watching it, I'm wanting to try a new way of helping him deal with his emotions. He still babbles a lot but if he's upset, I'm going to try just sitting with him and reminding him it's OK to be mad but talking about it helps.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ours is $500/month. It's a church daycare, but it's an early learning center that is basically a separate entity. Educationally it's the most desired in the area (I had a teacher tell us that they can always tell kids that come from that daycare). We got really lucky though because if you're not Catholic (we aren't) you have to get in on a lottery system which we did.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

My wife and I are starting the hunt in NYC and it's pretty awful. Infant daycare looks to be anywhere from $1800 - $2200 for a month at 40-50 hours per week. It gets marginally cheaper as they get older but not much.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We were paying $1000/month for an in-home daycare, but are now paying $1500/month for a private pre-school.

The in-home daycare was a great deal because the lady was a friend of a friend, the private school is just on the high side of average, with some of the more in demand schools being in the $2k/month range.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

....bbbut why aren't millenials having enough babies!

We got 3 months of no daycare payments between my first starting Kindergarten and mt second being born. I am going to miss that extra money we were able to save so maybe we can buy a house.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

We're at ~1500 / month for two kids in daycare 3 days a week. My daughter turns 3 this month which will drop her portion $25 / week. I'm getting ready for all the hookers and blow I can afford with that kinda petty cash.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
My wife works from home teaching English to Chinese students through a service called VIPKid, and I run a restaurant. She works mornings 4 days a week while I'm home and can watch the kid, and she brings in about 800 a month from it.

We had the conversation before he was born about it, and realized that if she went back to work full time at her old job, we would be LOSING money on daycare. Its loving bonkers.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 2, 2018

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

There are all things other than pure costs to consider though.

In the US, that income would count toward Social Security earnings towards her benefits after retirement. You won't get a chance to redo those years later.

It's hard to re-enter the work force in a lot of professions after taking years "off".

Some women like to work to retain their sense of self.

Etc.

It doesn't always have to be a $ out versus $ in calculation.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I thought we were all commiserating about child care costs, but thanks for the sage life balance advice I guess.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I...I just pointed out that there may be other factors than pure $$.

Didn't realize I could only chime in with cost complaints. Sorry for trying to make a discussion point I guess?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Personally I'd still work even if I would break even paying for daycare. My career is in a completely different place now over the last almost 6 years since I had my first kid. Hell, I'm in a different line of work.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
You can still be a W-2 employee and work from home, which gives you credit toward SS.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

It's impossible to work from home and do childcare though. Childcare is a fulltime job, unless you're gonna just not sleep and put in a night shift of work after your kids go to bed or something

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012
Everything is about money because it costs money to live.

I suppose one could work for net zero for Reasons, but those reasons would have to be pretty compelling to move past spending 40 hours a week away from my home and family, incurring the costs of a commute, balancing sleep schedules with my spouse and neglecting chores.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Levitate posted:

It's impossible to work from home and do childcare though. Childcare is a fulltime job, unless you're gonna just not sleep and put in a night shift of work after your kids go to bed or something

That's what I'm doing now and it's difficult but not impossible. I'm an indie game dev so my tasks are all laptop friendly and I can make my own hours. I probably get my best coding done when he's having tummy time on the carpet and I'm sitting next to him

I definitely would not work a job with a boss - even from home - as that sounds miserable

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

WarpDogs posted:

That's what I'm doing now and it's difficult but not impossible. I'm an indie game dev so my tasks are all laptop friendly and I can make my own hours. I probably get my best coding done when he's having tummy time on the carpet and I'm sitting next to him

I definitely would not work a job with a boss - even from home - as that sounds miserable

It can work when they're at a tummy time sort of age, but as soon as they get any sort of mobility then it's drat near impossible to focus on something that's not them unless they're napping.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

With our first kid I would get into work at 5am and work till 10am. My husband would meet in the parking lot and I'd head home and he'd go to work and I'd finish up those last 2 hours at home. Those were the hardest 2 hours to actually complete.

After 8 or 9 months he went into full time daycare. This time with our second, he is starting daycare at 2 months so I can go back to work.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Sweet Custom Van posted:

I suppose one could work for net zero for Reasons, but those reasons would have to be pretty compelling to move past spending 40 hours a week away from my home and family, incurring the costs of a commute, balancing sleep schedules with my spouse and neglecting chores.

Not mentioning having to trust someone else to look after your kids, but needing to pick them up and drop work if they get sick. In here the benefits are almost 0 too. You lose out on family payments the higher the income and there are no gains such as SS.

With that said, staying in the work force is a very compelling reason. It's really hard to find work after you have been unemployed for a while. I'm pretty lucky to be in the Finance/Admin area, where I can take on more Admin work and be full time or go down to only Finance and be part-time. So instead of just completely quitting (which I almost did at one point), I was able to go down to just 1 work day per week. Kids can be a nightmare, but I really hate work. So no way I would work full time for break even.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Bardeh posted:

It can work when they're at a tummy time sort of age, but as soon as they get any sort of mobility then it's drat near impossible to focus on something that's not them unless they're napping.

Yeah this was more what I was talking about. My wife and I actually did both work from home for awhile together when our kid was in the tiny, sleeps a lot, and is immobile stage. Once they start demanding more attention and moving around, it just becomes impossible to sit down and focus on work for any appreciable amount of time except during their naps.

So overall, it's a pretty short period of time when you could feasibly work from home and take care of your kid at the same time without any real help.

To be honest I think some people are also just more able to handle being a stay at home parent as well...I don't think myself or my wife could do it (happily), but maybe it's a different mindset when you know that's your "job". Daycare is 100% awesome for kids in our experience though, they have so much fun, learn how to make friends and get to do all kinds of things that we probably wouldn't get around to doing at home.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Levitate posted:

Daycare is 100% awesome for kids in our experience though, they have so much fun, learn how to make friends and get to do all kinds of things that we probably wouldn't get around to doing at home.

Agreed with this. We're the only ones in our group of friends that have our kids in daycare, and anytime we all get together, our daughter is so much more well-behaved and able to play with the other kids / take turns / follow instructions compared to our friends' similarly-aged kids. I don't know if we just are lucky to have a good kid, but I'd like to think part of it is what she's learning from her social interactions at daycare.

But then, the flip side is that my son is getting all the colds in the world right now from being exposed to every disease at daycare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Bardeh posted:

Levitate posted:

Yeah this was more what I was talking about. My wife and I actually did both work from home for awhile together when our kid was in the tiny, sleeps a lot, and is immobile stage. Once they start demanding more attention and moving around, it just becomes impossible to sit down and focus on work for any appreciable amount of time except during their naps.

So overall, it's a pretty short period of time when you could feasibly work from home and take care of your kid at the same time without any real help.

To be honest I think some people are also just more able to handle being a stay at home parent as well...I don't think myself or my wife could do it (happily), but maybe it's a different mindset when you know that's your "job". Daycare is 100% awesome for kids in our experience though, they have so much fun, learn how to make friends and get to do all kinds of things that we probably wouldn't get around to doing at home.

This and this. I was naive and totally thought I could do the work from home thing. That worked well up until she was about 8 months, barely worked between 8-10 months then she decided she was going to only do 1 nap a day and only if she felt like it and it was just all downhill from there.

At almost 17 months she's finally able to entertain herself for a little bit - which means I have 2 minutes of being able to do a super quick chore before she realises mommy is no longer actively watching her do things and comes to find me.

Even if someone else is around to entertain the kid, it does not guarantee you can work. They know when you're home and not paying attention to them. The last time I tried to have an important phone call, she was in meltdown mode the entire time and I could barely hear the other side speaking and I think they had a hard time hearing me. That was fun.

If my parents were unable to help and if I didn't have flexible hours and my husband wasn't working night shift, we would be significantly financially worse off with Australian long day care costing $125/day.

On the flip side I am wondering about whether her spending most of her time with adults as opposed to kids her age is not doing her any favours in terms of social skills.

Also we are at the very fun stage where it's smiles and sunshine and happy fun times with everybody except mom. The second I get home it's non-stop whining. Yesterday it was full throated crying/screaming/tantruming for 2 hours straight because I told her she had to put her Duplo away before we could draw. Ugh.