Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Taear posted:

But there's no tree. There's just a room with a level drain trap and a gigantic locked door!
It doesn't matter now anyway, I can't access the grove. Every time I go through the door the game locks up while it's loading.

Edit: Oh right, it's the tree OUTSIDE. Man it really doesn't do a good job of telegraphing things, there's no way I'd have gone up to that at all. I just went through the door, tried to work out what to do and gave up.

She does say 'meet me by the tree that is yadda yadda', but it... doesn't get added to your journal, so if you don't do it immediately, you'll probably forget.

A problem with the whole 'Limzi writes your quest log as a book' conceit; she doesn't write down important details :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

The alignment system in dungeons and dragons is one of the worst holdovers that keeps existing and I'd really wish they would replace it with something similar to a morality system out of World of Darkness games. So that way people can select their relative belief system and decide on how much they adhere to it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

BlondRobin posted:

She does say 'meet me by the tree that is yadda yadda', but it... doesn't get added to your journal, so if you don't do it immediately, you'll probably forget.

A problem with the whole 'Limzi writes your quest log as a book' conceit; she doesn't write down important details :argh:

Yea it's been like a week!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Spoilery question for people who've finished the Troll Trouble questline:

So, the final boss fight with Tartuk and Hargutha the troll king. Whichever one of them you kill second starts a conversation with you, where you have the choice to ask them questions, show them mercy, or just finish them off.

Because I'm me and I wanted to figure out what the gently caress was going on with "Tartuk" and why he was still alive after I killed him the first time, I went through his dialog trees, but I had no intention of letting him live so I elected to kill him rather than let him go - at which point he healed to full and I had to beat him down again. Both of them do this, actually - the first time I did that fight I killed Tartuk first, so Hargutha got the last words dialogue - and then when I decided to kill him he'd "regenerated" so he was back at full life and of course proceeded to beat what was left of my party into the ground - so now I always (try to) kill the troll first.)

So my question is - has anyone just not bothered asking either of them anything and just killed them immediately when the dialogue came up, and if so do they still do that?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 3, 2018

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Wait, what? They can stand back up? That definitely never happened for me, I killed the troll then had the dialogue with tartuk and that was it, nobody stood back up ever.

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

Dallan Invictus posted:

So, the final boss fight with Tartuk and Hargutha the troll king. Whichever one of them you kill second starts a conversation with you, where you have the choice to ask them questions, show them mercy, or just finish them off.

Because I'm me and I wanted to figure out what the gently caress was going on with "Tartuk" and why he was still alive after I killed him the first time, I went through his dialog trees, but I had no intention of letting him live so I elected to kill him rather than let him go - at which point he healed to full and I had to beat him down again. Both of them do this, actually - the first time I did that fight I killed Tartuk first, so Hargutha got the last words dialogue - and then when I decided to kill him he'd "regenerated" so he was back at full life and of course proceeded to beat what was left of my party into the ground - so now I always (try to) kill the troll first.)

So my question is - has anyone just not bothered asking either of them anything and just killed them immediately when the dialogue came up, and if so do they still do that?

Yeah, I'm curious about that too. I think I have a hard save right before that fight... I might try it and find out.

Another thing from that fight... I don't know who would actually go along with it, but any idea what happens if you leave Tartuk / Hargutha alive? Can I get a frickin troll king as an advisor?

Also, uh, did they hotfix the hotfix yet, regarding spell choice on level up?

Last I checked it was broken two ways - all spells available for learning during level up were elevated to your max spell level... but you could also click around a bit and get it to offer you spells at a lower level than they ought to be. Pretty sure I have a save file where Octavia learned Haste and Lightning as level 1 spells. :getin:

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Regarding act 1 and the fights between kobolds and mites. Is making them see that they are being played and then siding with you, including helping in later acts a ttue neutral only option or any kind of neutral? What part of the quest chain decides that outcome, the beginning response or at the very end after finding their relics?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

sloppo posted:

Yeah, I'm curious about that too. I think I have a hard save right before that fight... I might try it and find out.

Another thing from that fight... I don't know who would actually go along with it, but any idea what happens if you leave Tartuk / Hargutha alive? Can I get a frickin troll king as an advisor?

Last I checked it was broken two ways - all spells available for learning during level up were elevated to your max spell level... but you could also click around a bit and get it to offer you spells at a lower level than they ought to be. Pretty sure I have a save file where Octavia learned Haste and Lightning as level 1 spells. :getin:

The Troll just fucks off somewhere else I'm afraid.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/comments/9l3dic/kingdom_building_guide/

Contains a lot of helpful info when it comes to the kingdom side of things.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Zodiac5000 posted:

Wait, what? They can stand back up? That definitely never happened for me, I killed the troll then had the dialogue with tartuk and that was it, nobody stood back up ever.

Huh, weird.

They absolutely did on my game, but maybe it WAS because I talked to them for too long. Fair play, Owlcat, fair play.

It was hilarious, honestly, I'd dropped Web and Hold Person on Tartuk to hopefully keep him from interfering too much while I fought the troll, but of course Web lasts FOREVER so after Hargutha had gone down my party had to go into the webs to kill him. Web inflicts the grappled condition, which is hell on melee combatants, so Tartuk managed to survive long enough to incap Valerie, Amiri, and Octavia (shooting from range) with an apparently infinite supply of magic missiles, leaving only my Magus PC -- protected by Shield, so safe from what seems like the only spell Tartuk had left, at least for another forty rounds or so, but out of no-attack-roll damage spells -- and Linzi - who is a terrible shot even WITHOUT the penalty for shooting into melee, and her only damage spell was AOE and I didn't want to kill the downed party members.

So nobody can land a hit, and bringing anyone back up with Linzi's heals just leads to Tartuk switching targets and murdering them, and he seems never to run out of spells, so it's basically the D20est Mexican Standoff for like twenty or thirty rounds going "come on seriously ONE of these has to hit" until I land the edge of Linzi's last Sound Burst cast on him and he finally dies. I don't know what I'd have done if he'd survived that, honestly, it would have been the most FRUSTRATING way to lose.

sloppo posted:

Judging by the Steam forums, uh, no, they have not fixed the hotfix yet, and MAN is everyone angry about it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

On the topic of Tartuk: Did it feel like there was some kind of mix up there? When Tartuk originally appeared in Chapter 1 I got the impression that it was Tartuccio impersonating him(Aka an existing kobold leader.).
But it feels very vague if Tartuk is actually Tartuk, or if he just got stuck in that role after Tartuccio got resurrected. Or if the PC is just shouting GAME OVER TARTUCCIO at an increasingly confused kobold, while Tartuccio is off doing something else.

But I can't wholly remember what he said as I killed him, either.

Also honestly, some time down the road I'm going to need to replay this game and try my hand at being hella evil, it does seem like there's quite a bit of flavour ( and advisors ) that come with the various stances you can take.

Also a Valerie event/throne room hearing bugged out for me, so now I'm getting kingdom score drops from her being increasingly mad and beating up bards.
(The event/hearing triggered, but it was never resolved because the game threw like 10 throne room hearings in a row at me, so I think it got bugged.
So now it's just acting like I've been ignoring it, and I think I might need to reload a slightly earlier save and see if that fixes it.)

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

Cynic Jester posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/comments/9l3dic/kingdom_building_guide/

Contains a lot of helpful info when it comes to the kingdom side of things.

quote:

Each event has a DC (difficulty class), and each advisor has a bonus for dealing with events based off a stat- which stat depends on the advisor role Advisors who are also party members can boost their bonus with equipment that improves the stat.

... So I guess you shouldn't strip your out-of-party advisor companions of their stat-boosting gear, huh. Whoops.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm not very far into Act 2 but my one impression of Tartuk is that Tartuccio got ressed and forgot he wasn't actually a Kobold because his Polymorph spell never wore off.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm not very far into Act 2 but my one impression of Tartuk is that Tartuccio got ressed and forgot he wasn't actually a Kobold because his Polymorph spell never wore off.

It just feels like it gets forgotten.
Tartuk died first for me and nothing was mentioned of Tartuccio at all. Such a weird questline.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Dallan Invictus posted:

I talked to Tartuk and ended up freeing him and allowing him to keep the area to turn into a Kobold city. I went back a bit later and it's still the same. Tartuk himself says he doesn't remember what happens other than he woke up stuck permanently in his kobold form and his memories of Tartuccio are quickly fading.

Agnostalgia posted:

I named my character Octavia and now I've recruited an Octavia and this is confusing. The same loving thing happened to me in Persona 5, more games need to stop me from doing that like Dragon Quest does.

I chose the same portrait that Tartuccio has which caused a lot of confusion in certain parts when they tell you to choose a character and just show the portraits.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
It's almost mandatory to go download that collection of ready made portraits from the steam forums considering 60-70% of the base ones are used constantly by npcs

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

On Tartuk: I remember that while I was screaming THE JIG'S UP TARTUCCIO, ADMIT IT at him (admittedly I failed a skillcheck here so there might have been more useful info if I'd passed) he said that he remembered sending an artifact to the king of Pitax, remembered me killing him the first time but not much after that, and he genuinely didn't seem to remember that he was actually Tartuccio and not Tartuk.

So basically I think Sky Shadowing is right - when you kill Tartuk the first time and he gets ressed (remember, before that fight he absolutely remembers who he is), something messes up in his head or with the spell and he can't remember ever not being a kobold anymore. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy honestly.

I actually kind of like his story arc, as incredibly petty as it (and he) is, and I genuinely wonder where they're going with this poo poo.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

SubNat posted:

On the topic of Tartuk: Did it feel like there was some kind of mix up there? When Tartuk originally appeared in Chapter 1 I got the impression that it was Tartuccio impersonating him(Aka an existing kobold leader.).
But it feels very vague if Tartuk is actually Tartuk, or if he just got stuck in that role after Tartuccio got resurrected. Or if the PC is just shouting GAME OVER TARTUCCIO at an increasingly confused kobold, while Tartuccio is off doing something else.

But I can't wholly remember what he said as I killed him, either.

Also honestly, some time down the road I'm going to need to replay this game and try my hand at being hella evil, it does seem like there's quite a bit of flavour ( and advisors ) that come with the various stances you can take.

Also a Valerie event/throne room hearing bugged out for me, so now I'm getting kingdom score drops from her being increasingly mad and beating up bards.
(The event/hearing triggered, but it was never resolved because the game threw like 10 throne room hearings in a row at me, so I think it got bugged.
So now it's just acting like I've been ignoring it, and I think I might need to reload a slightly earlier save and see if that fixes it.)

Yeah, that was definitely addressed in that final conversation: When he was rezzed, he basically came back as exactly the thing he was pretending to be, with just dreams and muddled flashbacks to his previous life as Tartuccio. He apparently thought they were just weird dreams too, until you popped up and he eventually figured out it was past memories, plus the two personalities started slightly merging, though Tartuk still seemed mostly dominant - seriously, I don't think Tartuccio would really have that beaten aspect that just wants to wander off and be left alone from now on, he'd be far more spiteful. Aspects of his previous life probably bled through, but he's legitimately a mostly different person.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah, that was definitely addressed in that final conversation: When he was rezzed, he basically came back as exactly the thing he was pretending to be, with just dreams and muddled flashbacks to his previous life as Tartuccio. He apparently thought they were just weird dreams too, until you popped up and he eventually figured out it was past memories, plus the two personalities started slightly merging. Aspects of his previous life probably bled through, but he's legitimately a mostly different person.

I'm saying it's a bad idea to lock that conversation in a place that a lot of people won't ever get to see it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ah alright, I must have missed that.
Thanks for clearing it up.

Perfect Potato posted:

It's almost mandatory to go download that collection of ready made portraits from the steam forums considering 60-70% of the base ones are used constantly by npcs

I think that's more because the player's portrait is on the left, while the few npcs that do have portraits are on the right? In most conversations anyhow.

So it's not that a lot of npcs use your face, it's that your face is just omnipresent a lot of the time?

SubNat fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 4, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Taear posted:

I'm saying it's a bad idea to lock that conversation in a place that a lot of people won't ever get to see it.

Why? It's not actually relevant to your overall actions, and it's not something the player HAS to realize. Just killing him flat out because you think he's just so-and-so malicious personality back from the grave, without bothering to ask questions in the matter, is a pretty accurate read on a bunch of adventurers.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

Why? It's not actually relevant to your overall actions, and it's not something the player HAS to realize. Just killing him flat out because you think he's just so-and-so malicious personality back from the grave, without bothering to ask questions in the matter, is a pretty accurate read on a bunch of adventurers.

All that faff about him being resurrected by the mysterious figure just for him to die with you learning nothing is pretty frustrating to me.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

To be fair:

a) it's still really early in the game, it's basically still Chapter 2 (to the extent this game is chaptered), so we don't actually know if whatever brought Tartuccio back won't figure in the story going forward,
b) It's not "most won't ever get to see it", you HAVE to complete the Troll quest eventually or it game-overs you, and that's one of only two conversations the quest can end with (and you will always see one of them),
c) I agree with Xoth, it's only really relevant if you want it to be. It's a genuinely interesting question whether he's still the same person who tried to screw you over or not, but it's something the player or the PC will not necessarily give a poo poo about, any more than they necessarily give a poo poo about Bartholomew torturing trolls for SCIENCE! or the maybe-or-maybe-not justified racial grievances of the kobolds and trolls.

I don't really have an issue with how and where they chose to convey that exposition. It's all there if you want it to be, but you can also just channel your inner Amiri and just kill whatever gets in your way and ask questions never.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Now i've got the bug where you get an unending loading screen when using a portal in a certain temple in chapter 4 and I haven't seen any mention of the next hotfix from the devs. Bah.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Grinning Goblin posted:

The alignment system in dungeons and dragons is one of the worst holdovers that keeps existing and I'd really wish they would replace it with something similar to a morality system out of World of Darkness games. So that way people can select their relative belief system and decide on how much they adhere to it.

Rich Burlew's Order of the Stick makes a decent case for it, imo.

(grey box is for spoilers)

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Alignment works when you use it as a vague idea of how you want your dude to act and don't sweat it too much. It sucks when it starts tying to mechanics too much though or when you have to sweat about it because of losing powers.

EDIT: My biggest D&D pet peeve is the weird interplay of stats as an RP thing, a thing that determines your combat abilities and your abilities at skills, along with making certain classes kinda suck skillwise it leads to all sorts of silliness at times.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Gorelab posted:

EDIT: My biggest D&D pet peeve is the weird interplay of stats as an RP thing, a thing that determines your combat abilities and your abilities at skills, along with making certain classes kinda suck skillwise it leads to all sorts of silliness at times.

Valerie is so encumbered and so actually stupid in her default setup that she can really only rank up persuasion and maybe one lore check, it's great

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
womp womp i now have two amaris this game is hilariously buggy but so good

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Perfect Potato posted:

Valerie is so encumbered and so actually stupid in her default setup that she can really only rank up persuasion and maybe one lore check, it's great

Haha, yeah I was thinking of her. If a player got that much charisma as a fighter I'd probably ask them if they actually wanted face stuff because if they just want to be pretty just say that your character is like super pretty, darn it.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

And to be clear, I don't actually mind her being stupid about it; I pretty much expect for there to be dumb characters who pursue their alignment far past the point if it being reasonable in games with an alignment system, it's just a little jarring when she's directly compared to Harrim, whose "what good are your petty 'rules' in the face of the yawning maw that is Oblivion!? :byodood:" stuff is actually a really fun and entertaining character trait.

My favorite interactions so far with an NPC in the game are with him, inside the first big Act 2 dungeon Troll stronghold. He poo poo talks his former God, Torag, for letting his statue being destroyed, which you can apply Religion to and argue that without his followers there he doesn't have much investment in the statue.

Later then at the end of the area, when Harrim took it upon himself to SMASH THE loving FORGE TO PIECES, my Wizard was able to point out with Religion that Groetus is the God of the Apocalypse and Destruction but that he is happy to WAIT until that occurs and is not actively blowing poo poo up to achieve it, Harrim is kind of stunned at his zealousness of interpreting his "mid-life crisis" religion.

I think Harrim is a great character because of these flaws, instead of just being the absolute example, like most RPG Clerics are.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD

Taear posted:

Yea it's been like a week!

hello taear are you still terrified of dogs and lifts

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
gently caress it I'm going to restart and make everyone better, this is the true crpg experience

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Harrim is awesome and I won’t hear a word said against him.

The more I play this game the more it reminds me of that Temple of Elemental Evil game made by Troika a few years back, both in terms of bugginess and in terms of being a fun adventure with a lot of crunch to the combat.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
D&D alignment is better the less time you spend thinking through its ramifications; if you go "Lawful people are organized, disciplined, or respect authority and Chaotic people are not, Good people go out of their way to take care of others and Evil people don't loving care how others feel", don't sweat stuff like "okay so does that mean I can't play a fastidious anarchist?", just write "Neutral" when either of the polar options feels unsatisfying - and don't have an rear end in a top hat GM, which is always a rule for any tabletop RPG - it'll work out fine. It doesn't tell you a lot about who a character actually is, but neither does any other two-word description of anyone's values or personality.

I've never really understood why it's so frustrating to people, but it also wouldn't really cost much to lose it, as 4E and 5E (both of which make it much more marginal) prove.

I guess it's way worse in CRPGs, to be fair, since they kind of have a stupid GM by necessity.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Mad Wack posted:

womp womp i now have two amaris this game is hilariously buggy but so good

I got two primal giant owlbear bosses that's almost as good!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

D&D alignment is better the less time you spend thinking through its ramifications; if you go "Lawful people are organized, disciplined, or respect authority and Chaotic people are not, Good people go out of their way to take care of others and Evil people don't loving care how others feel", don't sweat stuff like "okay so does that mean I can't play a fastidious anarchist?", just write "Neutral" when either of the polar options feels unsatisfying - and don't have an rear end in a top hat GM, which is always a rule for any tabletop RPG - it'll work out fine. It doesn't tell you a lot about who a character actually is, but neither does any other two-word description of anyone's values or personality.

I've never really understood why it's so frustrating to people, but it also wouldn't really cost much to lose it, as 4E and 5E (both of which make it much more marginal) prove.

I guess it's way worse in CRPGs, to be fair, since they kind of have a stupid GM by necessity.

My two cents on D&D style alignment is that humans/mortals should be constrained to the middle neutral section and just be allowed to have tendencies towards certain alignments, while extraplanar entities and the like can be consigned to the explicit "can only act in accordance with this set of governing philosophies" regions since they're supposed to be hardcoded to those alignments in the setting.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Beefeater1980 posted:

Harrim is awesome and I won’t hear a word said against him.

The more I play this game the more it reminds me of that Temple of Elemental Evil game made by Troika a few years back, both in terms of bugginess and in terms of being a fun adventure with a lot of crunch to the combat.

It really is like the return of Troika. I'm very happy

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I wish it was turn based like ToEE. So much of the D&D combat doesn't work as well real time.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, if you happen to have met Ivar the Hunter and gotten the errand quest, when you run into him and find out what his curse is, don't hit him with a kill spell in the battle. I tossed a Phantasmal Killer his way and it, uh, killed him. Which was a problem, because the errand didn't go away (it's resolved once you smack him enough and get a conversation with him). Not a HUGE problem, because it's an unimportant side quest and all, but still annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Furnok Dorn posted:

hello taear are you still terrified of dogs and lifts

Yes and no
Shouldn't you be in Fyad Furnok?

Agnostalgia posted:

I wish it was turn based like ToEE. So much of the D&D combat doesn't work as well real time.

I think they've only made it RTWP because Baldurs Gate was. But Baldurs Gate functioned a lot more like a computer game than this one does and there are far fewer activated abilities in 2nd ed!
I don't really like Turn Based but this game really should have had it.