Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Island Nation posted:

The Issue is no HDMI, the TV is HD (1080i only)

You're not going to find a device more viable than what you have with analog HD out. Yard sale someone's 1080p TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, you're pretty much SOL. About the only other thing you can do is get a used Roku that still had component output and then you'll be able to use 720p at least.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

TheScott2K posted:

You're not going to find a device more viable than what you have with analog HD out. Yard sale someone's 1080p TV.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, you're pretty much SOL. About the only other thing you can do is get a used Roku that still had component output and then you'll be able to use 720p at least.

That’s what I was afraid of. Could be worse since I like Vue but I’ll have to see what Fios can offer first. Thanks for the help.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I don't see how you can't find a free TV with an HDMI input. I've thrown away working 52" TVs just because no one wanted to come and get it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That is a thing of note that it is surprisingly hard to give away TVs, even charities are flush with them. At work we actually have four HD TVs in shelter including two giant ones, and four more in storage at the administrative office.

They're also super cheap at thrift stores that have a non-profit arm as a source.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Island Nation posted:

That’s what I was afraid of. Could be worse since I like Vue but I’ll have to see what Fios can offer first. Thanks for the help.

Dude, stop all your services (which you're doing anyway) for literally a month and go get a 30" TCL for the sixty bucks you now have laying around. It even will still have their built in app bullshit.

But yeah, check Craigslist. Dunno where you live, but even here in Pittsburgh I can see 6 postings for people literally giving away their TVs if you can come pick it up.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 22, 2018

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Fuzz posted:

Dude, stop all your services (which you're doing anyway) for literally a month and go get a 30" TCL for the sixty bucks you now have laying around. It even will still have their built in app bullshit.

But yeah, check Craigslist. Dunno where you live, but even here in Pittsburgh I can see 6 postings for people literally giving away their TVs if you can come pick it up.

Believe me, I want to and I have one in mind (55’’ LG OLED) that’s gotten the all clear but the person I live with refuses to throw out the rear projection that’s here until it breaks despite the burn in and blurry image due to said finances (combo of no job on my part, Trump tax “cuts” and unpaid rent). On top on that, she wants to put in a electric fireplace where the current TV is now but specifically a corner unit and those aren’t easy to find.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Island Nation posted:

Believe me, I want to and I have one in mind (55’’ LG OLED) that’s gotten the all clear but the person I live with refuses to throw out the rear projection that’s here until it breaks despite the burn in and blurry image due to said finances (combo of no job on my part, Trump tax “cuts” and unpaid rent). On top on that, she wants to put in a electric fireplace where the current TV is now but specifically a corner unit and those aren’t easy to find.

I mean, yeah the 55" LG OLED is nice and all, but it's also... really expensive? I dunno the details of your deal, but aiming for that right off the bat when money is tight strikes me as not the greatest move.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You don't have a job and are having a hard time paying rent? And your plan is to buy a 55’’ LG OLED?

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/dont-buy-stuff/n12020

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Fuzz posted:

I mean, yeah the 55" LG OLED is nice and all, but it's also... really expensive? I dunno the details of your deal, but aiming for that right off the bat when money is tight strikes me as not the greatest move.

To be fair, I’ve held back on some of the personal details but the main issue was trying to find a device that wasn’t a game console that can do over the top TV via component. Since that doesn’t exist, The options are either take Sony’s or Microsoft’s sole OTT service for PS3 or 360 respectively or keep Fios with all the pros and cons going with it. Finding a TV isn’t a priority right now until it becomes one out of necessity.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Island Nation posted:

To be fair, I’ve held back on some of the personal details but the main issue was trying to find a device that wasn’t a game console that can do over the top TV via component. Since that doesn’t exist, The options are either take Sony’s or Microsoft’s sole OTT service for PS3 or 360 respectively or keep Fios with all the pros and cons going with it. Finding a TV isn’t a priority right now until it becomes one out of necessity.

OK, stay with me here, you can't afford any of this so save your money instead of spending it on FIOS/IPTV.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Three Olives posted:

OK, stay with me here, you can't afford any of this so save your money instead of spending it on FIOS/IPTV.

Yeah, this.

Save your cash, work with just internet, and work on finding a job so later on you can have all this poo poo?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Island Nation posted:

the main issue was trying to find a device that wasn’t a game console that can do over the top TV via component

When things can be afforded, HDMI -> component adapters exist which you could get alongside a cheap Roku stick or whatever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, YouTubeTV rolled out 60fps to pretty much all the remaining channels in the past few days.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, this.

Save your cash, work with just internet, and work on finding a job so later on you can have all this poo poo?

That’s what’ll have to be done. Thanks

P.S My family is the landlord, not the renter. The renter stiffed us.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Roku just introduced a new Premier (and Premier+) box with the same form factor as the Express editions.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/24/roku-premiere-4k-streaming/

The entry level for 4k HDR streaming is now $40 and should be the same in performance as the more expensive Streaming Stick+.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Anyone have anything negative to say about Hulu Live service? I didn't know they offered live tv service until last week and so I signed up for a trial to compare it against my DTVN service and I gotta say Hulu seems much better. The UI is a little clunky, but not completely off the rails. The thing I noticed was stream quality is just so much better on hulu, they both look the same, but I haven't noticed a single "Oops something went wrong" message. Especially yesterday watching football and Tiger. My wife said she hasn't seen HGTV gently caress up all week, where as with DTVN it seems to not work a out 50% of the time she wants to watch it. In my area at least I get 48 (54 if you count the west coast version of channels) channels on Hulu, while I got 62 on Directv Now, but it's all the same local channels. Hulu seems to lack the no name filler poo poo directv has that I never watched anyway, plus they're the same price now. My only gripe is HBO is a $14.99 addon for Hulu vs $5 for dtvn, but it was probably a waste of 5 dollars anyway since I don't watch anything but game of thrones and we know where that is currently.

Edit: Also HULU works on my Xbone and my OG firetv box so I have "cable" in my home theater again!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

thebushcommander posted:

Anyone have anything negative to say about Hulu Live service? I didn't know they offered live tv service until last week and so I signed up for a trial to compare it against my DTVN service and I gotta say Hulu seems much better. The UI is a little clunky, but not completely off the rails. The thing I noticed was stream quality is just so much better on hulu, they both look the same, but I haven't noticed a single "Oops something went wrong" message. Especially yesterday watching football and Tiger. My wife said she hasn't seen HGTV gently caress up all week, where as with DTVN it seems to not work a out 50% of the time she wants to watch it. In my area at least I get 48 (54 if you count the west coast version of channels) channels on Hulu, while I got 62 on Directv Now, but it's all the same local channels. Hulu seems to lack the no name filler poo poo directv has that I never watched anyway, plus they're the same price now. My only gripe is HBO is a $14.99 addon for Hulu vs $5 for dtvn, but it was probably a waste of 5 dollars anyway since I don't watch anything but game of thrones and we know where that is currently.

When I test drove Hulu, the only thing that kept me from really liking it was the UI. I never had any complaints about the actual delivery and quality of the stream, the UI just drove me away.

If they introduce a normal channel listing *like every other service in existence*, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. (Maybe they have, it's been almost a year since I test drove it)

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Hulu Live is missing AMC, which is a dealbreaker to some.

If FX+ was available to more providers, that would be helpful. I think you can only get it with Comcast Xfinity, PS Vue and maybe 2 other providers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

utonium posted:

Hulu Live is missing AMC, which is a dealbreaker to some.

If FX+ was available to more providers, that would be helpful. I think you can only get it with Comcast Xfinity, PS Vue and maybe 2 other providers.

They opened FX+ to all providers in August.

https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/fx-opens-up-its-ad-free-fx-offering-to-all-current-subscribers/

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Sweet, thanks! The language on their website is, not surprisingly, a little vague.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it seems like they are still concentrating around the fact that you can sign up through the providers rather than just availability.

That said, I just watched AHS though Youtubetv VOD and the commercials were already surprisingly minimal without FX+. The ad breaks were only 15-30 seconds.

I just wish FX would move off of 720p for their IP stuff. Make your streams available as 1080p24 like NBCU and I would hop on FX+ in a heartbeat. Stream quality of Syfy and USA shows is really excellent and rivals buying the episodes on platforms like Vudu and Amazon. FX streaming quality (especially in app where everything is 720p30) is really lacking.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Proteus Jones posted:

When I test drove Hulu, the only thing that kept me from really liking it was the UI. I never had any complaints about the actual delivery and quality of the stream, the UI just drove me away.

If they introduce a normal channel listing *like every other service in existence*, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. (Maybe they have, it's been almost a year since I test drove it)

They kind of have one with their channel guide, kind of reminds me of the first iteration of the DTVN guide

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

bull3964 posted:

Roku just introduced a new Premier (and Premier+) box with the same form factor as the Express editions.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/24/roku-premiere-4k-streaming/

The entry level for 4k HDR streaming is now $40 and should be the same in performance as the more expensive Streaming Stick+.

It looks like it can’t do 802.11ac and is limited to b/g/n, is that a reason to go with the Stick+?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Last I checked Hulu love didn’t have a guide like at all

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

uberkeyzer posted:

It looks like it can’t do 802.11ac and is limited to b/g/n, is that a reason to go with the Stick+?

That and the ability to hide wires altogether.

I don't really view the slower WiFi as an issue though, even the highest bitrate 4k streams are well within the capabilities of N or even G.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I've been using Sling for awhile, and have a couple issues that make me want to look at other services:

Ads. So many goddamn ads. It's quite common for Sling to visibly cut away from the normal several minutes of ads aired on a network, to several minutes of their own separate ads, then cut back to the regularly scheduled programming ads.
Sports. This one is less of an issue, but I suspect a fair amount of the money I pay to Sling is paying for the 30 sports channels, when really, I want a couple news networks.

Is there a service that would just give me a decent variety of news networks? Failing that, something that prioritizes news and entertainment (CC, TBS, whatever) over sports?

The closest I've found is PSVue, but it's also considerably more expensive than Sling.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krakkles posted:

I've been using Sling for awhile, and have a couple issues that make me want to look at other services:

Ads. So many goddamn ads. It's quite common for Sling to visibly cut away from the normal several minutes of ads aired on a network, to several minutes of their own separate ads, then cut back to the regularly scheduled programming ads.
Sports. This one is less of an issue, but I suspect a fair amount of the money I pay to Sling is paying for the 30 sports channels, when really, I want a couple news networks.

Is there a service that would just give me a decent variety of news networks? Failing that, something that prioritizes news and entertainment (CC, TBS, whatever) over sports?

The closest I've found is PSVue, but it's also considerably more expensive than Sling.

Give Pluto a shot (it's free!)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krakkles posted:

Philo TV for entertainment channels is pretty cheap. There's no sports and the news looks like your only choice is BBC World News.

EugeneJ posted:

Give Pluto a shot (it's free!)

Pluto has a good selection of news channels. It also has some strange-rear end channels that are surprisingly engaging/entertaining. I'm looking at you 4K Train Rides in Europe Channel (not it's real name)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pluto is okay but the ads are maddening. Wish I could pay them away

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The ads on Pluto are mostly OK, just a lot of repeats. With a bit more rotation it’d be totally fine. Still worth it for uncut Hell’s Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmare episodes though. :btroll:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My big peeve with Pluto is they cut for a commercial when they drat well choose to cut for a commercial. Then consistently ignore any of the built-in spots to accommodate ad breaks in the original program. This can result is switching away mid dialog. They "solve" this by rewinding 5-10 secs in the stream when they come back from break.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The ads on Pluto are mostly OK, just a lot of repeats.

Pluto made me watch this loving commercial 4 times in a row the other day while I was watching Heathers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tucY7Jhhs4

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
What's drives me nuts about Pluto is that it seems there is at a minimum two episodes of "Greeting Doug with High" on at any given time whenever I scroll through the listings. We get it, Doug Benson. Your entire life is nothing but a run-on sentence about weed.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Proteus Jones posted:

Philo TV for entertainment channels is pretty cheap. There's no sports and the news looks like your only choice is BBC World News.

Pluto has a good selection of news channels. It also has some strange-rear end channels that are surprisingly engaging/entertaining. I'm looking at you 4K Train Rides in Europe Channel (not it's real name)

Slow TV and 4K TV
Slow TV is the train one and it's pretty enjoyable in the background but I don't know about actively watching.

Edit: Also the fact that Eye Candy (The Look at These Butts channel) exists still cracks me up.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 2, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Croatoan posted:

Slow TV and 4K TV
Slow TV is the train one and it's pretty enjoyable in the background but I don't know about actively watching.

Edit: Also the fact that Eye Candy (The Look at These Butts channel) exists still cracks me up.

That's the one! SlowTV will end up catching my eye at some point and ends up hypnotizing me.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
What I don't like about Pluto is some of the channels are named '4k whatever' but are clearly not a 4k source or appropriate broadcast bitrate. And that's with a fast wired internet connection that can support 4k YouTube with zero buffering. Plus you can't choose the resolution like you can with YouTube, Pluto 'chooses' what's best which is often 720p or lower.

On a 55" TV it looks pretty bad.

Of course this is something most consumers probably don't care about. Most people I know can barely tell the difference between HD and SD (in 2018) and couldn't care less.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 3, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I guess you get what you paid for.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Croatoan posted:

I guess you get what you paid for.

Not a good argument. I don't pay for YouTube either but its 4K content looks excellent and loads fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
lol this idiot comparing trillion dollar company google with "pluto"