Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Wheany posted:

I know this isn't what you asked for, but since it's a racing game, I want to mention Wreckfest. Judging from videos it actually looks kind of fun (the early access was like "ok, but where's the game?"). It's should be out on consoles in a month or two, iirc.

Wreckfest is ruined by the AI which does nothing to try and win the race but everything to stop you from even finishing a single race. It's less of a racing game and more of a demolition derby game. I liked it for what it is though and beat it all on PC, it's a fun game but not as a racing game, at least not against the AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
GTAO is cool and all but it loving sucks that they do so much work on it and only a little bit ever trickles back into singleplayer. The GTAIV expansions were so drat good. Some of us have jobs and lives goddammit.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

GTAO is cool and all but it loving sucks that they do so much work on it and only a little bit ever trickles back into singleplayer. The GTAIV expansions were so drat good. Some of us have jobs and lives goddammit.

IIRC the GTA4 expansions sold really terribly, like they may not have even recouped their losses on it. I think it has a lot to do with being Xbox 360-only initially and download-only in an era when that wasn't really an accepted thing in the console space on a wide scale, not to mention needing an Xbox hard drive many didn't own. Whatever the reason, it soured them on single player DLC.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Whattup XBone thread. I picked up an original PS4 a few years ago but my friends have since bought XBoxes so I want to pick up a console myself so we can play RDR2 online together. I'm ok to wait until Black Friday / Cyber Monday, so - should I buy an XBone S or an XBone X? I appreciate the X performs better, I guess my question is: is it worth the money for the X over the S? Or should I save the money for games or maybe an SSD upgrade for the S?

I'm UK-based if that makes any difference wrt pricing etc.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I_Socom posted:

Whattup XBone thread. I picked up an original PS4 a few years ago but my friends have since bought XBoxes so I want to pick up a console myself so we can play RDR2 online together. I'm ok to wait until Black Friday / Cyber Monday, so - should I buy an XBone S or an XBone X? I appreciate the X performs better, I guess my question is: is it worth the money for the X over the S? Or should I save the money for games or maybe an SSD upgrade for the S?

If you don't have a 4K TV you might as well get an S. Likewise if you don't really care about the resolution/texture quality of games, although there are a small number of games where you get 60fps exclusively on X (e.g. the two most recent Tomb Raiders, Forza Horizon 4). Definitely wait for Black Friday and get whatever deal is better, like if they discount the X heavily but not the S so much you might as well get an X.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

veni veni veni posted:

I played GTA online when it launched and it was the biggest trash fire I've ever played in my life. Totally non functional. Then I went back and tried it once they got it working and it was just bad versions of standard issue online modes. Bad deathmatch, bad racing etc. I never got why I'd play that over a good shooter or racing game. Then over time it became one of the most loved online games ever and I always meant to go back and check it out again but never got around to it.

It had a lot of promise, but God drat was it unstable. The matchmaking was terrible and even them it would DC when heists started 90% of the time.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

I_Socom posted:

If you can afford it fine I'd say go X. An SSD upgrade only gets you faster load times on the S, with the X you get those faster load times anyway, plus better image quality even on non-4K with supersampling, faster framerates etc.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Red Warrior posted:

If you can afford it fine I'd say go X. An SSD upgrade only gets you faster load times on the S, with the X you get those faster load times anyway

Just to clarify, the X uses part of its RAM as RAMDisk when running games that are not enhanced for the X, i.e. most of the games that predate it. But since new games are practically always enhanced for the X, it does not get you faster load times in them.

Zat fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 3, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing Red Dead Redemption with the 4K native res update for Xbox X. It looks great.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

I said come in! posted:

Playing Red Dead Redemption with the 4K native res update for Xbox X. It looks great.

Had to read that slower a second time. Heard there are RDR2 copies somehow out in the wild already.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

Had to read that slower a second time. Heard there are RDR2 copies somehow out in the wild already.

Discs are definitely already pressed, and it's not uncommon to be able to get a disc copy of games weeks in advance in parts of South-East Asia and the Middle-East where they give zero fucks about street date violations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

univbee posted:

Discs are definitely already pressed, and it's not uncommon to be able to get a disc copy of games weeks in advance in parts of South-East Asia and the Middle-East where they give zero fucks about street date violations.

I remember how stoked I was to see CoD: Black Ops on sale like 2 weeks from release day in an Israel store while on deployment.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BisterdDave posted:

I remember how stoked I was to see CoD: Black Ops on sale like 2 weeks from release day in an Israel store while on deployment.

George Bush started the Iraq War during a fit of jealous rage after he read a CIA report that mentioned Grand Theft Auto: Vice City broke ship date in Baghdad a full two months ahead of schedule.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Really enjoyed what little bit of FH4 I've played so far. It's def scratching that forza motorsport 4 itch. Just goof around, do a bunch of weird races with my weird car collection.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

Really enjoyed what little bit of FH4 I've played so far. It's def scratching that forza motorsport 4 itch. Just goof around, do a bunch of weird races with my weird car collection.

I wishhorizon could sustain me even 10% as long as forza 4, but it feels less fun to race super cars on weird random dirt tracks than compete against my friends times in real world tracks I actually care about. Also (and this isn’t something I’ve tried because I got a non Xbox compatible wheel) I’ve heard the game really fudges force feedback wheels compared to Motorsport which already isn’t as good as ffb on pc games. If I do play horizon it’s probably gonna be on a controller, but I should be able to use my non Xbox compatible wheel on pc if I try it out on games pass sometime.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 3, 2018

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ethanol posted:

I wishhorizon could sustain me even 10% as long as forza 4, but it feels less fun to race super cars on weird random dirt tracks than compete against my friends times in real world tracks I actually care about. Also the game really fudges force feedback wheels

I haven't tried my wheel, yet. That's next on the docket. But there are tracks in this game with laps, etc. You just prefer real world tracks? I get that... but until they release a good version of motorsport, I'll take this.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ethanol posted:

I wishhorizon could sustain me even 10% as long as forza 4, but it feels less fun to race super cars on weird random dirt tracks than compete against my friends times in real world tracks I actually care about. Also (and this isn’t something I’ve tried because I got a non Xbox compatible wheel but I’ve heard the game really fudges force feedback wheels compared to Motorsport which already isn’t as good as ffb on pc games. If I do play horizon it’s probably gonna be on a controller, but I should be able to use my non Xbox compatible wheel on pc if I try it out on games pass sometime.

geez that edit...

yeah I'm gonna try with my wheel on PC.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

I haven't tried my wheel, yet. That's next on the docket. But there are tracks in this game with laps, etc. You just prefer real world tracks? I get that... but until they release a good version of motorsport, I'll take this.

That’s essentially why I’ve converted to gran turismo, which you drove all of 6 miles on

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

geez that edit...

yeah I'm gonna try with my wheel on PC.

Yeah I needed to clarify, sorry

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

To get to the sparse population of lap tracks you basically are forced to do hundreds of rear end events and sit through all the narration so it really gets old. Also fh3’s lap tracks were frankly horrible

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ethanol posted:

Also fh3’s lap tracks were frankly horrible

still better than abu dhabi or cota. or, god forbid, twin mother loving ring mother loving motegi (please stay gone from forza forever you terrible, terrible shithole).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Forza 5 was the last main-game I played and yeah it soured me on bothering with 6 and 7. Maybe 8 will be a return to form?

I finished far cry 5 and was a bit let down. It was a fun game but nothing spectacular in terms of gameplay. I think I used a single upgraded AR for 90% of the game.

The story was OK but I also managed to finish the game without finishing all the story missions so I feel like i skimmed through the plot a bit.

I'm on to wolfenstein 2 now.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Laserface posted:

I finished far cry 5 ... I'm on to wolfenstein 2 now.

Two of the most overrated games recently IMO. Ones that really make it clear that reviewers barely play games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dont take the torso compression upgrade when offered three choices unless you like getting stuck

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Two of the most overrated games recently IMO. Ones that really make it clear that reviewers barely play games.

I didnt pay for Far Cry, I won it at a IGN launch party, so it wasnt a disappointment in the sense that it was free. I would not normally buy a Far Cry game after my experience playing 3 (although 5 was kinda more of the same in a setting i was more interested in), just with less eagles attacking me and maybe less reliance on crafting. Stealthing the cult outposts and using my beast-army was fun as hell tho.

it was a stunning game visually even on my OG bone, but the X really made it more enjoyable to play. would still have preferred a 60fps mode however.

I got wolf 2 in a pack with DOOM which supremely owned and was the primary reason I bought the pack (it was like $3 more to get wolf 2 included than just DOOM on its own) and while I enjoyed The New Order i found its controls/gameplay a little bit annoying so Wolf 2 is definitely a 'low difficulty dont bother collecting everything' game for me.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
the new wolfenstein games are best played on easy difficulty and just loving obliterating nazis as hard as you can

extremely fun that way

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Zat posted:

Just to clarify, the X uses part of its RAM as RAMDisk when running games that are not enhanced for the X, i.e. most of the games that predate it. But since new games are practically always enhanced for the X, it does not get you faster load times in them.

Even Xbox X enhanced games load faster though too, this is not correct.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The original Xbox One, like the original PS4 model, uses a SATA II connection for the internal hard drive. XbonX and PS4 Pro use SATA III connections fo the internal drive, like most PCs have been using since 2010 or so.

SATA II is slow enough that hard drives running at peak speeds will be bottlenecked by the SATA connector, SATA III is significantly faster and hard drives essentially can't be slowed down by it even though proper SSDs will be. There's also some related bits in how the protocol changed between SATA II and SATA III that means SATA III handles many small loads a bit better than SATA II, which helps for hard disk access even when the drive isn't fast enough to bottleneck from the raw speed.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 4, 2018

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

Even Xbox X enhanced games load faster though too, this is not correct.

True, but in my experience, the difference is not significant and certainly not comparable to using an SSD, as was implied in the the post I was replying to.

However, when it gets to use the RAMDisk trick, the difference is pretty considerable.

Zat fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 4, 2018

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but it got buried by console war nonsense, but buying an External SSD for the Original Xbox One is a nice upgrade. I only play a few games, so it is easy for me to fit on the 256gig, but the speed increase in games like COD and PUBG is significant.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

You definitely have to get something more in the 500 gig range nowadays, unless you're very good at sticking with 1 or 2 games at a time.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I got a WD 1TB external a few weeks ago during a sale at Best Buy and yeah, makes a huge difference.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I thought the 500GB internal storage on the S would last me a good while, with mostly BC games being played and a handful of newer AAA games. I was not prepared for 80-100GB games like Gears Ultimate and Halo 5. I ran out of space real quick, and I'm wondering if 1TB will be enough for an external drive.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It's looking like >100 gigs is becoming somewhat normal for AAA games especially with expansions. At least on PS4 there are two "single" games (as in not a bundle of multiple games like Batman: Arkham Remastered) which are on two discs: XCOM 2 Collection, and non-American versions of Shadow of War Definitive Edition (the US version is just the vanilla game and a season pass voucher). Not sure what they did for SoW Definitive on Xbox.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone know what the top 10 influential video game cars are according to Microsoft

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Anyone know what the top 10 influential video game cars are according to Microsoft

how many of them are the warthog

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The one they unveiled at E3

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I had a 2tb 5400rpm external but I'm sticking a crucial 1tb ssd in a usb3 enclosure and using that from now on.

I should be able to move everything across and keep the stuff I rarely play on the internal drive.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

enigmahfc posted:

I got a WD 1TB external a few weeks ago during a sale at Best Buy and yeah, makes a huge difference.

Why is an external drive making a difference in this case? Is it just MS cheaping out with a 5400rpm drive internally, or is something else going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I_Socom posted:

Why is an external drive making a difference in this case? Is it just MS cheaping out with a 5400rpm drive internally, or is something else going on?

The internal drive is a cheap 5400 rpm drive, I believe unless you have an Elite XB1 (pre-S, came with an Elite controller), which has an SSHD.