Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I wonder how badly the game balance would suffer if you reduced movement speeds (and range?) by half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
So the average speed would be about 5-6 squares, more or less?

Edit: To make better use of this post.

So I've been reading Serf's overview of the game in the F&F Thread, and spotted that they suggest not actually dual wielding. Now is this more of a "Maybe don't dual wield at low levels" or "Never, it's a dumpster fire?" Main reason for asking is cause one thing I always love to play in anything if possible, is basically being a Dwarf Slayer with a couple of axes. Is that just not viable?

Arthil fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 27, 2018

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Yeah that's interesting. Dual wield seems pretty good once you get your hands on the fighter's dual wield bonus or something equivalent.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Arthil posted:

So I've been reading Serf's overview of the game in the F&F Thread, and spotted that they suggest not actually dual wielding. Now is this more of a "Maybe don't dual wield at low levels" or "Never, it's a dumpster fire?" Main reason for asking is cause one thing I always love to play in anything if possible, is basically being a Dwarf Slayer with a couple of axes. Is that just not viable?
Oh, it's definitely viable, but not from Level 0 really. You have two basic options:
(1) Attack one target, both weapons. You take 2 banes, and do both weapons' damage to the target.
(2) Attack two different targets. Resove each with 3 banes.

At level 0 this is just not happening.

At level 1 it's plausible with a warrior's 1 boon, but still not really a great idea when there's cumbersome weapons which give you fewer banes and deal more damage.

Now, if you are fine waiting until Level 3 and take Fighter, the whole thing kicks in, and dual-wielding is a legitimate option. (With a Dwarf Slayer you might be tempted to look at, like, Berserker or something. If you want to dual-wield, this would be a bad idea without house-ruling.) And at Level 7, Dervish helps you out even more.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
On a similar vein, and because I know I have players that may ask before our first SotDL game, there are no "pet classes" along the lines of D&D Rangers / Druids, right? I see there are some spells that temporarily make friends but nothing that permanently grants one.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ZorajitZorajit posted:

On a similar vein, and because I know I have players that may ask before our first SotDL game, there are no "pet classes" along the lines of D&D Rangers / Druids, right? I see there are some spells that temporarily make friends but nothing that permanently grants one.

There's one that gets a demon buddy in some book.

Serf
May 5, 2011

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I don't have my book in front of me, but I believe the Beastmaster (?) master path gets a talent that turns the beast charming spell permanent.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Unfortunately, there are. Befriend Animal in the primal path lasts until a rest by default, and permanently on a 20+. You can have up to your power score in pets so that's potentially 5. Necromancy has no upper limit on corpses as far as I know as well.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Unfortunately, there are. Befriend Animal in the primal path lasts until a rest by default, and permanently on a 20+. You can have up to your power score in pets so that's potentially 5. Necromancy has no upper limit on corpses as far as I know as well.

Necromancy has an "up to your power score in pets" rule too, but the level 5 spell of the tradition summons like 2d6 zombies that collectively count as one pet.

SotDL Core, pg. 135 posted:

Limits on Control
You can have a number of compelled undead creatures
created by your Necromancy spells equal to your Power. If
creating a new undead creature would cause you to exceed
this limit, the compelled affliction is automatically removed
from the undead creature affected for the longest time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also pet classes are just really strong in general, Call Medium Animal is a level 2 spell and it's pretty close to "add an additional level 3 character to your party."

RAW summons and befriended animals don't use the same population cap (and there IS no population cap on summoned animals, although I would strongly advise making the "summons capped by power" thing global.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 28, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I dunno what the ideal cap is, but I think 0 and 1 are both better than your power. I don't wanna deal with it and I think having summon spells that yield extra actors in combat is a mistake.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

extra actions being problematic is something that's true across systems, but the quality of the actions does matter and this isn't D&D - your summons aren't going to have spells or strong effects of their own to worry about and the quality of their actions is going to be substantially below what a martial PC would provide at the level you can first summon them (a Medium Animal's combat effectiveness tracks far more closely to a level 1 character than a level 3)

I'd differentiate between the minute-long summons and longer-term ones when trying to set any sort of cap - a SotDL Summon Monster spell is essentially a DoT with a battlefield control component, and using an in-combat action to expend a spell and make a sub-par attack that yields several (disruptable) turns of similarly mediocre but action-free attacks in the future is something that can be reasonably compared against other options that give their results up front, but while Summon Animal can be used like that, the hour long duration also opens up the possibility of stacking castings out of combat and having a pretty absurd sustained nova potential

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 29, 2018

Unusual
Nov 12, 2013
Oh that reminds me, one of my players mentioned to me after last weeks session that he's planning on picking up some necromantic options, which i'm fine with. His question was if skeletons can equip gear, I'll probably allow it but I couldn't really find anything in the rules for it so I might as well ask here.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

I'm interested in purchasing the core book but am unlikely to actually play any time soon. I dug around but didn't find much specific information about the timeline for the 2nd printing. Do you all think I'd be wise to exercise some patience and just buy it after the reprinting, or are the expected errata minor enough to not really worry about?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Giodo! posted:

I'm interested in purchasing the core book but am unlikely to actually play any time soon. I dug around but didn't find much specific information about the timeline for the 2nd printing. Do you all think I'd be wise to exercise some patience and just buy it after the reprinting, or are the expected errata minor enough to not really worry about?

The current PDF (and presumably 2nd printing would) use a reworked Fighter and reworded-for-clarity Sorcerer paths.

That'd be the main reason to wait.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Pretty decent reasons to wait too, possibly. Not sure what the timeline is going to be though.

I tossed this out in the discord but will here too. Are there multiple options for character sheets on Roll20? The one I've got loaded up uses the standard pentagram arrangement which I'm not super keen on, but worse is I can't figure out how to add spells for the life of me.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah the need for - basically - unimaginably huge maps is one of the reasons I went straight to my own implementation of Zone combat. (Which I posted a while ago and can post again if anyone needs it).

I'd be interested in seeing this!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jarvisi posted:

I'd be interested in seeing this!
This should get you there. I made it just slightly less abstract, and added some stuff from 13A regarding targeting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9qwm-rNX9YEcFJzcU1CZG1hRWwwM05ET2NqMFRPVWgxNVhV/view?usp=drivesdk

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Any of you in the Denver area play this? I'm looking to try it for the first time and just moved out here.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Had hoped to give a trip report for some new players tonight but had to scrub the session after too many cancellations. So it goes. Still looking forward to moving over to SotDL. ...eventually.

Serf
May 5, 2011

For the month of October, all Victims of the Demon Lord supplements are 30% off. These expand on the various ancestries in the game, both with fluff and background information and with more tables to roll on. Who doesn't love more tables?

My personal favorites are Snot and Stitches because the goblin tables are especially fun, Only Human for how meaty it is, and Ghosts in Machines because clockworks rule.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Trip report: running Dark Sun using (mostly) Shadow of the Demon Lord rules

Hello friends. For my birthday I ran the Dark Sun boxed set introductory adventure A Little Knowledge for my 3 friends using Shadow of the Demon Lord rules, mostly. I took out Insanity (because Athas is not a world where the weak-minded survive) and replaced it with Trauma, which is basically the heat and cold and general harshness of Athas chipping away at the player (once I have tuned this system better I'll post it in this thread). I also used a very detailed homebrew conversion that Jeffrey of YOSPOS turned me on to (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkvRl6Dwb) and hand-converted the monsters from 2e to SoTDL as needed. I also changed the weapon breakage rules to: if you roll a 1, you get a critical hit but your weapon breaks. This felt very Dark Sun to me.

Two of the players had NEVER played Dark Sun before and weren't familiar with it at all. One of the players was very familiar with the setting. None of the players were familiar with SoTDL.

It went extremely well. I won't focus on the narrative stuff, I'll just talk about the system works:

The character creation went extremely smoothly. I started them at 2nd level (a nod to 2e Dark Sun starting the characters at third level) which meant they had to make two choices: Ancestry and Novice path (or in the case of the Thri-Keen player, one choice as that Ancestry has its Novice path dictated to it). This took about 45 minutes as they read through all the options. We ended up with a Half-Elf Adept, Thri-Keen, and Dwarf Rogue.

I used dwarf74's "master sheet" of move and combat actions and this helped a lot. Thanks dwarf74. I also want to hat-tip Tuxedo Catfish who provided me with a similar document.

The Thri-Keen player decided to roleplay an elemental priest/druid tracker and discovered the Water tradition, which I have to begrudgingly admit is smart play although it did remove some of the grittiness of the desert travel. I ruled that the Create Water spell only created a half-gallon of water per cast (similar to 2e rules) so he was able to keep them topped up but not create a surplus. He ended up playing his character as basically Serial Killer Spock. The dwarf rogue was a player who likes to play funny badasses with interesting backstories, and man did he ever. The half-elf player likes intra-party RP a lot but usually is pretty laid back in terms of solving problems and "leading" the party. The game system let all of them do what they wanted to do, and got out of the way when it wasn't needed. Very good.

Combat went well. There were only two "real" fights in the game session, both were over in a couple of rounds. Rogues are absolute murder machines, holy crumbs. Also the Adept had a great "alpha strike" spell in Mind Stab. I was surprised by how much rear end the players could kick. I am probably going to turn up the difficulty for our next session.

Even though the combats were relatively easy as the players were able to rest and regain resources (they happened on separate days), the players felt stressed because the desert continually inflicted Trauma damage on them, which they could not get rid of and which gave all their actions a sense of urgency. This was exactly what I wanted when I designed the system which pleased me.

Overall I highly recommend SotDL for running Dark Sun, other than monster conversions it already has all the elements that you need to support the game: psionics, lots of player choice, well-balanced magic, non-boring combats with maneuvering, easy to dial up the lethality if needed, and if you're a dumb houseruling jerk like me you can rip out the Insanity system and replace it with something more "Dark Sun"-y. 5 stars.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 2, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

That sounds really cool! Do post the house-rules on Trauma when they're better organized.

[fake edit]Also that site to generate docs seems pretty handy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

nice write-up, i've been missing dark sun since 4e fell out of fashion. i've played around with running it in fate a few times but sotdl is sounding like a real good fit

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
If anyone in this thread is on the fence about picking up SotDL, the core PDF is on sale for $9.99 on DTRPG for the next 7 hours and 45 minutes.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

A little more detail on OP

looks like there *will* be some expansion of rules for 10+ play (based off the Forbidden Rules iteration), and (unsurprisingly) 20-30 expert/master paths

also a potential book on relics/enchanted objects as one of the stretch goals

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I knew a D&D guy would eventually fall to the lure of cramming a zillion fuckin' spells into his system

Luckily I don't feel bad about ripping poo poo out of SotDL at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I knew a D&D guy would eventually fall to the lure of cramming a zillion fuckin' spells into his system

Luckily I don't feel bad about ripping poo poo out of SotDL at all.

"Eventually?"

e: There are 745 spells in SotDL even before this book comes out

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah he just doubled 'em.

Also it's more like they're in one book, instead of scattered pell-mell over a dozen or so.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Year Without Rain: decent new player dungeon crawl, just scale back the boss a bit, right?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yep. You may also want to dial back on the monsters. The spiders and animated corpses are probably enough. The tiny demon can be used if you want, but the ghoul is absolutely overkill and will wreck the party alongside everything else.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The Forest Hymn & Picnic kickstarter only has 4 days left, so if anyone here is interested in it and hasn't pledged yet they should do so as we're only about 300 dollars away from the initial goal(personally I'm hoping we make it to 22,000 dollars so we get the A Guide To The Sea stretch goal)

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Looks like Forest Hymn made it's initial goal. It looks charming and I wish it the best!

Serf
May 5, 2011

I read through Black Sun Dawn and I like it! It basically adds a new organization to Rul for PCs to face off against, complete with challenging monsters of all levels. The Cabal of the Black Sun is pretty neat, and the concepts it is built on make for an interesting departure from your traditional campaign that is most likely going to deal with the Demon Lord or some related minion.

The Cabal of the Black Sun is an occult order that started in the city of Lij, but its true foundation is the Black Sun Manuscript, a relic of incredible power. Mechanically, the Manuscript offers great power at a great price. It lets you research all sorts of horrible topics with a bonus, it grants access to the Forbidden, Madness and Time traditions, and gives you a special ritual that allows the summoning of various powerful monsters. The Manuscript was found by mystical prodigy Rathran Crux, who used the information found within to build a cabal of students just as ostracized and unpopular as him inside The Cabal of the Golden Key. This cabal got stronger and more depraved as time went on, disappearing enemy students, creating abominations and eventually contacting mad gods from distant realms, drawing their attention to Urth. All this wreaked havoc on Lij, and a Convocation of magic-users was assembled to find out what was causing the horror. After magic failed them, the wizards resorted to old-fashioned detective work and eventually tracked down Crux's cabal, destroying every one of them and burning their sanctum down.

The Black Sun Manuscript

Unfortunately Crux and his inner circle were away when the attack happened, and so they managed to gather up the remains of their lesser disciples and the treasures stolen from them in the attack. Crux even returned home and killed his wealthy family, claiming their corpses for his own purposes. They then headed off to the Patchwork Lands, selling their services as mercenaries to the warring lords there. Eventually they amassed enough wealth to claim their own bit of territory, moving to the center of the Patchwork Lands and raising the Occlusion, a massive bronze tower that they turned into their base of operations. The interior of the Occlusion is always shifting over the course of weeks and months, making maps unusable. During the day it is closed, but at night, hordes of Misbegotten, mutant human monsters, rise from holes and warrens and rampage across the land, killing and eating anything they find, including each other.

The Occlusion

Now the Black Sun have made it their goal to prepare Urth for the arrival of their mad gods, sending out agents and disciples to enact their strange, incomprehensible design usually with murder and terror. Rathran has achieved his lifelong goal of immortality, though the result is not something most people would consider worthwhile. He has animated his mother as his personal guardian, and 13 of his closest companions remain as twisted sorcerers who explore their own avenues of magic and pursue terrible knowledge through pain and self-mutilation.

The book contains stats for a Rathran Crux and the Crux Matron, who together make for one hell of a fight. Rathran has a magical counterattack, perfect knowledge of his surroundings out to 1 mile, Power 6 and a shitload of powerful spells, some of which are from the Madness tradition. The Crux Matron is a deadly opponent who changes throughout the fight and can speed around clawing enemies and blasting them with black flame.

Also included:

Misbegotten: Fast creatures that have an easy time knocking people down and can charge towards you on your fast turn.
Black Sun Thrall: Rathran's personal troops. Not powerful, but they are numerous and can transform into a more powerful form.
Cabalist of the Black Sun: Immensely powerful wizards, they are a generic statblock for members of the Thirteen, but can be customized however you like.
Black Sun Singer: Mutilated humans who can now only sing the Song of the Outer Gods, which is about as bad as it sounds.
Crung: Ogre-like abominations who protect the Cabalists with their massive cleavers and surprising speed.
Hood: Remember these guys from the core book? They're back here with expanded explorations of what they actually are and where they came from.
Megpee: Twisted bird creatures who have the bodies of ravens and the heads of porcelain dolls, they serve disciples and can mind control their foes.
Scran: Human-faced worm beasts who can latch onto enemies and won't let go.
Tatterdemalion: Fleshcrafted constructs who work on maintaining the Occlusion and will fight when cornered.
Black Sun Disciple and Black Sun Disciple Leader: Your standard weakling cultists who can work together to become quite dangerous, these are the bulk of what you'll encounter outside of the Occlusion.

A hood

Lastly there is a new table for magic item effects. These are distinctly more dangerous and self-harming than the core book table. They have some neat effects though. One makes you paper thin and invisible from your skinny side, another causes the item to attach to you, reducing Strength and Agility by 1 but boosting Intellect and Will by 1, another attaches it to your face and gives you the Horrifying trait and some bonus Health, and one lets you turn inanimate objects from their original material to flesh.

Overall this a rad supplement and the Cabal of the Black Sun are cool enemies. I think there was a missed opportunity to map out the dungeon fully and detail it as a full crawl, but I can see how that would balloon this supplement from 17 pages to way more. If you want more fluff and some new monsters, definitely give it a look.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Ahhhh that is going to work loving perfectly for my campaign!! I was freaking out because the middle part of the denouement is dragging and I'm out of ideas gently caress this is perfect thanks Serf

Serf
May 5, 2011

News roundup:

Occult Philosophy: Maddening Magic

Rob talking about the Madness tradition, which as you could probably guess revolves around inflicting Insanity and locking down mortal foes. He mentions that it won't be very useful against demons, which is to b expected, but the spell names in Black Sun Dawn look like they'll have nasty effects on more mundane foes.

Some tidbits:

quote:

Each time you learn a spell from the Madness tradition, you must make a Will challenge roll with a number of banes equal to the number of Madness spells you have learned so far. On a failure, you gain 1 Insanity.
Learning Madness spells drives you closer to the edge...

quote:

The Madness tradition forces users to peer into dark places and grapple with mind-blasting truths. As a result, most students of Madness wrestle with their sanity, always struggling to cling to whatever shreds they have left until their minds finally buckle and break. However, as users grow more and more accustomed to the horrors of their art, they learn to compartmentalize their weird experiences so they can keep their wits even while gibbering, frothing, and clawing at their bodies. Whenever you roll to end the effects of going mad, you add a bonus to your d6 roll. The bonus equals the rank of the highest rank madness spell you have learned.
...but courting madness seems to have benefits.

Check out the full article if you want to see a few of the new Madness spells!

Introducing Max Press

Rob is starting his own imprint to publish 5e material. Apparently this will follow his SotDL model of bite-sized cheap supplements that are short and come out relatively frequently. Unlike SotDL he is going to be sticking to a "PG-13" rating on this stuff and saving the truly depraved stuff for his own game.

quote:

Starting with the Blasphemies of Bor Bwalsch, which add more than twenty wicked spells to the game, Max Press will continue by producing new options for the various character classes and find other ways to inject a dose of darkness into your games. Whether you want to play a character who walks in the shadows, binds demons to your dark will, or commune with alien entities of staggering power lurking just beyond the bounds of reality, Max Press has what you need. And if you’re a GM looking to spice up your games with a few nasty surprises Max Press promises to deliver the goods.
The first supplement is gonna be focused around some evil-themed spells with a self-referential name. Should be coming out in November. I don't think this is a particularly good way to introduce 5e players to SotDL, but who knows, maybe it will drive interest.

Also included in this article is a tidbit about SotDL supplements. Apparently the plan is 1 per month, with a chance to increase that to 2 or more. And depending on how well the Occult Philosophy KS does, that will be beefed up with KS-derived supplements too.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Bundle of Holding has a bunch of SotDL stuff up, starting at $10 for the basics.

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/2018DemonLord

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
If I want a physical copy, is drivethrurpg still the best bet for an updated version?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Jarvisi posted:

If I want a physical copy, is drivethrurpg still the best bet for an updated version?

Unsure, but FYI that bundle of holding deal provides you with DTRPG copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Unsure, but FYI that bundle of holding deal provides you with DTRPG copies.
Yes, pdfs but he wants physical copies. And yes, DTRPG is probably the best site for up to date for both pdf and physical book.